ADVERTISEMENT

Official Steph Curry is GOAT thread

Knew this was coming lol.. and I knew there'd be no mention of THIRTY EIGHT fg attempts lol.

It was a pretty good performance. They don't win without him. Still, the missed free throws, the poor efficiency, the seemingly 1/3rd of his makes coming when the game was over.. it's more of the same. And the Kings really shouldn't have been the favorite this series either.
Your hate for Steph knows no bounds; I did mention 38 shots. Most points in a Game Seven in NBA History! The 50 points on 38 didn’t do the Kings in; it was the 8 points in 8.5 minutes to start the third and the two points in five minutes to start the fourth. Kings were horrible on offense in Games 5 and 7. Steph did show Fox who was boss. Steph hit some ridiculous shots and Sabonis is a turnstile on defense. Steph could have gotten 60 if this game was closer, but he dominated so much that he wasn’t needed the last three minutes. 66 points scored or assisted. GOAT level performance tonight.

Listen Brody, all you need to know is that none of the greats say he’s the best of all time. They all say Jordan mostly or Kobe or LeBron. If they’re not saying it, why are you?

Jimmy Butler isn't even a top100 player of all time and he just had himself a 56 point game. And then a 42 point game. He closed that series out, 4 to 1, and each of those games was a home and an away.

We can gush over the fact that it was game 7, I'm not sure why that makes it somehow more impressive than games 1-6.. but either way, where was Curry Friday night to close this out?

50pts is always impressive, but in 2023 it's certainly more common to see than any other era. We're acting like there isn't a 50pt game almost every week now.

Not to mention Curry's biggest flurry and his most efficient shooting was when the game was basically over. Like I said, he's a great closer. A lot of his game is extending leads when the game has been all been decided.

I’d argue Butler is a top 100 player.

He might have put himself into that category after these playoffs. He certainly shot up the ranks.

But.. as of what, this past summer?.. he wasn't in the top76 according to ESPN.. and I'm fairly confident he didn't make the next 24 on the list, seeing as how guys like Paul Pierce and AD were only in the 60s and 70s.

My point on Butler was more so that a lot of players are capable of hanging 50pts in todays NBA. I find his much more impressive because he's NOT "the" greatest shooter to ever exist and he did it against the #1 seed that has lots of experience. Didn't mean to slight Butler at all here.

Butler also didn't have a Kevon Looney, who is literally just there to get 20 rebounds, kick out and attempt like 4 fgs a game. Now someone like LakerCat will say something shortsighted like "Bam is better than Looney!".. and while he is, he also rebounds less and shoots more. Guys like Looney (and draymond) are perfect for facilitating 50pt games from not only Steph, but Klay as well.

Klay's 60-point game result of oversleeping, missing practice https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/w...game-result-oversleeping-missing-practice?amp

Also the fans that relished in Steph’s home playoff 50 burger like it was a big deal - washed harden put up 45 the other night in a road playoff game!

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Also the fans that relished in Steph’s home playoff 50 burger like it was a big deal - washed harden put up 45 the other night in a road playoff game!

Na, but it wasn't "game 7" and half of it wasn't done until after the game was over... so it doesn't count apparently.

Na, but it wasn't "game 7" and half of it wasn't done until after the game was over... so it doesn't count apparently.
Speaking of Steph sounds like Jared Vanderbilt did a pretty good job defending him and he got most of his points when Jared was on the bench!

"Official Klay Thompson Is GOAT thread" amirite??

Dude has zero knees and outshines Curry. He's 2nd, only to Pippen, in terms of being the perfect complimentary piece to the star. Steph Curry should literally pay his mortgage.

Dude has zero knees and outshines Curry. He's 2nd, only to Pippen, in terms of being the perfect complimentary piece to the star. Steph Curry should literally pay his mortgage.

When he's on it's a thing of beauty. But Klay makes $40M - $8 less than Steph - so I think he doesn't need any mortgage support.

Why? For one good game? Steph dropped 50 ON THE ROAD in Game 7. Curry was extremely efficient, and had an easy day. AD was garbage tonight. This might go seven.

When he's on it's a thing of beauty. But Klay makes $40M - $8 less than Steph - so I think he doesn't need any mortgage support.

More so that that I think Steph owes a lot more of his success to Klay than people probably realize. Klays starting to wear down, but he was a stellar defender, and his shooting was enough that defenses couldn't send everyone at Curry. Klay is the perfect running mate for him.

More so that that I think Steph owes a lot more of his success to Klay than people probably realize. Klays starting to wear down, but he was a stellar defender, and his shooting was enough that defenses couldn't send everyone at Curry. Klay is the perfect running mate for him.
Nailed it

This is another area where Jordan separates himself, especially from Curry.

It isn't/wasn't uncommon for Klay, Draymond some in years past, and certainly KD when he was there to take the team on their back for stretches, especially in the playoffs. Like it or not, KD was the main guy when he was there.

BUT, there never really was an occasion, most certainly not in the playoffs, where you felt like Jordan ever played 2nd fiddle to anyone. And the only real opportunity for that was Pippen. Not a host of other guys.

Yep. And that's why I think the "started on 2nd base" notion fits Curry so well. He's a great talent, but he came into a situation that most other players could only dream of. Everything was set up perfectly for his life in the NBA. He was born in a gated community, both literally, and figuratively in the NBA.

"outside of the KD years" But why throwing out the only years Curry has had a future HOF player on the team with him. But not throwing out all the years LeBron had a future HOF player with him (most of his years).
Not to mention, that stat means LeBron is only 8-7 vs Curry (if you exclude the KD years)

No doubt you are right.
But Klay is not D-Wade, he is not AD, he is not K-Irving.

"outside of the KD years" But why throwing out the only years Curry has had a future HOF player on the team with him. But not throwing out all the years LeBron had a future HOF player with him (most of his years).
Not to mention, that stat means LeBron is only 8-7 vs Curry (if you exclude the KD years)
Also Lebron took a team to the finals whose second best player was Daniel Gibson

No doubt you are right.
But Klay is not D-Wade, he is not AD, he is not K-Irving.

Ahhhh.. I'm not sure I'm ready to put AD above Klay. I need to see another title from AD. Is he more talented? Sure. But his availability over recent years has really kept him back. Klay might not be considered a top75 guy, but he does have 4 rings, and he's always a threat to get you 40pts a game. I think Klay is maybe the most overlooked player in this era of the NBA.

Either way, Lebron has had to figure out how to win with several different teams along the way. It's not like he had all 3 of those guys above for the entire time. Curry has basically played his entire career with Klay and Draymond.

Reactions: Wesley91581
Curry going 3-14 from three point range helps doom the Warriors tonight. He had a great game otherwise but 3 point shooting is supposed to be his strength. Lonnie Walker and Austin Reeves are the non-superstar heroes for LA.

Last edited:
Curry 3-14 from three point range helps doom the Warriors tonight. He had a great game otherwise but 3 point shooting is supposed to be his strength. Lonnie Walker and Austin Reeves are the non-superstar heroes for LA.

And bad defense, too. But that's never been his calling.

I actually kind of wish our own Kentucky team would do this more, a little less on defense to save your legs for offense. That's how Steph has operated and it works for him: save your legs for offense, let guys like Klay and Dray handle the harder defensive assignments.

Hard to fault Curry this game. He did what he had to do to keep them in it. But you can't do it all for 48 minutes, and he continues to struggle, at least a little, trying to get back leads.

Reactions: DSmith21
Cal is loving this lakers run it’s almost like old school nba vs new school nba and right now old school is winning - I still think GSW can win the series - lakers do just enough to win but they look spent.

And bad defense, too. But that's never been his calling.
You right about Curry's bad defense last night. He was the primary defender on Lonnie Walker in the 4th period where Walker scored 15 points. Walker also helped hold Curry & Klay to 4 for 15 shooting in the fourth quarter.

Last edited:
Don't see a healthy Lakers team losing 3 in a row.

Warriors having more trouble when facing healthier opponents this post season. No surprise there.

That should put a fork in Curry's career as a top player. Warriors are done, newer crop of star players are taking over. His only chance at another title is to pull a CP3 and hope he can be a bit-player on a title team.

Other stars could carry this Warriors team, but Curry just isn't that type of player to put the team on his back and carry them to the finish line. Their drafting has not been good. And klay and Dray are past their prime. It's over.

Reactions: RunninRichie
That should put a fork in Curry's career as a top player. Warriors are done, newer crop of star players are taking over. His only chance at another title is to pull a CP3 and hope he can be a bit-player on a title team.

Other stars could carry this Warriors team, but Curry just isn't that type of player to put the team on his back and carry them to the finish line. Their drafting has not been good. And klay and Dray are past their prime. It's over.
I mean Klay shot 3-19 last night, and has been awful, except for Game Two. Poole was trash; Wiggins was never engaged; Green was ok; the bench was trash, and the refs were heavily favoring the Lakers. It’s hard to carry team when you have to beat the refs too. This series was two shots from a 4-1 series win for the Warriors. His supporting cast was worse than what Lebron had in 2007. Curry is older, but is still playing at an elite level; he just can’t go God mode as often, which is what the Warriors needed, given how garbage his supporting cast was. Curry is not done, but moves need to be made. Klay’s injuries have done him in.

I mean Klay shot 3-19 last night, and has been awful, except for Game Two. Poole was trash; Wiggins was never engaged; Green was ok; the bench was trash, and the refs were heavily favoring the Lakers. It’s hard to carry team when you have to beat the refs too. This series was two shots from a 4-1 series win for the Warriors. His supporting cast was worse than what Lebron had in 2007. Curry is older, but is still playing at an elite level; he just can’t go God mode as often, which is what the Warriors needed, given how garbage his supporting cast was. Curry is not done, but moves need to be made. Klay’s injuries have done him in.
It was a bad matchup for Golden State. Lakers just bigger and stronger.

That's kind of what I mean.. the days of this super team, getting paltry contracts, and having a strong bench.. are over.

From here on out, life gets difficult for Curry.. something he's not really used to. Golden states roster looks BAD over the next few years, unless they make some big FA signings or trades.

Reactions: RunninRichie
The new collective bargaining agreement will punish teams that choose to exceed the luxury cap as the Warriors and Clippers have done recently. I don't see how the Warriors are going to get younger/better. Green has a player option and could leave the team for a big pay day. He is still a great defender (2nd team all defense this year). If he goes, they are toast.

Curry was 4-14 from three point range last night and he led the team with four turnovers. His defense has been garbage all series. It's not like he has been great while the rest of the team stunk during the series.

Last edited:
Steph’s game 7 record lasted 2 weeks as Tatum put up 51 today!
One was at home, and the other was on the road. And Tatum got 14 free-throws and Curry only had five. Curry’s was definitely more impressive. Also, Jordan Poole is garbage.

One was at home, and the other was on the road. And Tatum got 14 free-throws and Curry only had five. Curry’s was definitely more impressive. Also, Jordan Poole is garbage.

Tantrum Crying GIF

• Haha
Reactions: DSmith21
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT