ADVERTISEMENT

Official Steph Curry is GOAT thread

Yeah we will see at the end of the season I guess. I'm betting Hali and Lamelo are putting up the same stats, with their teams being right around GSW.. good to decent teams, but not real contenders.

Steph is in no way better than SGA lol. I don't think you realize how good SGA is right now.

Curry will finish off the top10 list this year. That's my prediction. Will he catch fire and have some 40pt games? Sure. Is he the greatest shooter ever? Probably. But there will be plenty of guards who will have better seasons than he will.
Didn’t SGA either make all-nba or first team all-nba?

Didn’t SGA either make all-nba or first team all-nba?

Yeah lol. Even if he's getting a bit of stat-bloat because of the little talent on OKC, there's no denying he was one of the 6 or 7 best players last year.

I know this is going to surprise a few people here.. but just because a player was dominant in 2017, doesn't mean they are the same player in 2023. Has SGA passed Curry on the all time list? No, but he's a better player last year and going forward.

Yeah lol. Even if he's getting a bit of stat-bloat because of the little talent on OKC, there's no denying he was one of the 6 or 7 best players last year.

I know this is going to surprise a few people here.. but just because a player was dominant in 2017, doesn't mean they are the same player in 2023. Has SGA passed Curry on the all time list? No, but he's a better player last year and going forward.
Curry dropped 40+ on the Kings while having a 92% eFG. Wow.

Funny.. that Curry stat line looks an awwfulll lot like what a Demar stat line looks like. Lots of points, not much else.

40/4/4 and 4 turnovers. No one ever said Curry couldn't shoot 3s

Reactions: PhDcat2018
On 74% shooting? On the road? I expect another 50-40-90 type season, especially with CP3.
Luka went 49/10/7 with 16/25 fg + 9/14 from 3 pt range. You can eFG all you want but that’s pretty impressive considering Luka is the focal point of every teams defense and lost Brunson last season.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
What about 56-48-93 right now for Steph at 35? He is shooting 80% on midrange jumpshots and 55% on jump shots. I know it’s four games in, but I look for a 53-46-93 type season for Him. No other player can play this efficiently.

He was dominant literally just last year and averaged 30 in the playoffs. He has also been great in the extremely early season, but I dont know what you have seen to warrant expecting a fall out of the top 10 from him and becoming not in the top tier of PG's

What about 56-48-93 right now for Steph at 35? He is shooting 80% on midrange jumpshots and 55% on jump shots. I know it’s four games in, but I look for a 53-46-93 type season for Him. No other player can play this efficiently.
Steph is not even in James's league from a goat standpoint. Chris Paul is the best PG of this generation. Curry is the greatest 3 point shooter of this generation but is an average defender and assist man.

Last edited:

How nice he gets yet another HOF player to play with.. what's that for him now, like the 8th HOF player he gets to help him out.

Reactions: DSmith21
He was dominant literally just last year and averaged 30 in the playoffs. He has also been great in the extremely early season, but I dont know what you have seen to warrant expecting a fall out of the top 10 from him and becoming not in the top tier of PG's

Half of it is simply age. Part his age and part guys like Luka and Tatum coming into their primes. I don't believe Curry will finish in the top10 this year, but maybe CP3 will change that. He's playing well enough to start, although it's mostly just scoring.

If you took LeBron in his prime vs steph in his and put them on average teams...who elevates that team more?

Prime LeBron Jordan Shaq kobe Duncan dirk giannis jokic and the lists grows would elevate their teams greater than steph. That lists is much bigger as well. Didn't go back past Jordan and not trying to predict the future.

Steph changed the game, credit for that. I ve liked watching his career. Not in any goat conversation. Top 5 at his position maybe.

If you took LeBron in his prime vs steph in his and put them on average teams...who elevates that team more?

Prime LeBron Jordan Shaq kobe Duncan dirk giannis jokic and the lists grows would elevate their teams greater than steph. That lists is much bigger as well. Didn't go back past Jordan and not trying to predict the future.

Steph changed the game, credit for that. I ve liked watching his career. Not in any goat conversation. Top 5 at his position maybe.
Didn’t Lebron lead a team to the nba finals in which the second best player was Daniel Gibson - there’s a lot to be said for that.

Steph is not even in James's league from a goat standpoint. Chris Paul is the best PG of this generation. Curry is the greatest 3 point shooter of this generation but is an average defender and assist man.

The key you mentioned is defense. IMO, which really means nothing in NBA circles, the defense is what keeps him from the elevated status.

When teams go AT you and actually run sets to take advantage of you in playoff scenarios, you aren't the GOAT or even in the conversation.

The key you mentioned is defense. IMO, which really means nothing in NBA circles, the defense is what keeps him from the elevated status.

When teams go AT you and actually run sets to take advantage of you in playoff scenarios, you aren't the GOAT or even in the conversation.
Clutch Curry rescues Warriors again. Almost had a 30-point triple double. 55-47-94 shooting splits. GOAT indeed

• Haha
Reactions: kyeric
Clutch Curry rescues Warriors again. Almost had a 30-point triple double. 55-47-94 shooting splits. GOAT indeed
Westbrook used to get 30 point triple doubles
Luka does regularly
You act like curry is in another strasophere when he is doing things literally other players are currently doing.

Jokic with a pedestrian 20/8/5 at halftime on 8/9 fg 2/2 3pt and 2/2 ft so he is on pace for a 40/16/10 triple double - might pass curry on the goat list eventually!

What’s the eFG on that?

Last edited:
  • Haha
The warriors gave up 139 points to a lottery team who was without their star player (SGA). The Thunder's guards (led by Lu Dort) feasted on Curry's soft defense all night. It's the same bad defense that sent them packing from last year's playoffs only a year older. Teams are attacking Curry because he is a defensive liability at this point. Still a great shooter though.

Last edited:

Against a mid-level team without their best player. There is literally NOTHING Curry can do at this point in his career that will elevate him even into the top 10 (or even 20) all time greats. he isn't gonna magically go on a run of 1st team NBA defense selections. He won't even make it on ONE. For just shooting, sure he's most certainly in that group, but overall. No way.

EDIT: And, just a few names that he will never pass already puts him out of the top 10...Jordan, Lebron, Kobe, Kareem, Magic, Bird, Duncan, O'Neal, Olajuwon, Robertson, Russell, Chamberlain

That doesn't even include guys like Barkley, Durant, Malone, Stockton, Garnett, West, Baylor, The Admiral, Drexler, Pippen, Isaish, Moses, Dr J and i'm sure there are plenty others that i could list

Last edited:
Jokic with a pedestrian 20/8/5 at halftime on 8/9 fg 2/2 3pt and 2/2 ft so he is on pace for a 40/16/10 triple double - might pass curry on the goat list eventually!

What’s the eFG on that?

Jokic is just crazy. You watch him on the court, he doesn't run fast, he can't jump over the Denver phone book (do they even make those anymore), but he is ALWAYS in the right spot and pretty much always makes the right play. Passes to the right guy, takes the right shot. And with Murray back to 100%, Gordon, MPJ, KCP, etc. There is no reason they can't repeat and him to pick up his 3rd (should be 4th) MVP in 4 years.

All while shooting 55.4/34.9/82.7 as a 6'11", 285lbs center. His FTs have dropped off this year, but he is shooting 64.5% from the field and 40.9% from 3!!

Reactions: Wesley91581
Jokic is just crazy. You watch him on the court, he doesn't run fast, he can't jump over the Denver phone book (do they even make those anymore), but he is ALWAYS in the right spot and pretty much always makes the right play. Passes to the right guy, takes the right shot. And with Murray back to 100%, Gordon, MPJ, KCP, etc. There is no reason they can't repeat and him to pick up his 3rd (should be 4th) MVP in 4 years.

All while shooting 55.4/34.9/82.7 as a 6'11", 285lbs center. His FTs have dropped off this year, but he is shooting 64.5% from the field and 40.9% from 3!!
Yup 100% agree

I always know when Curry isn't playing well, when Lakercat isn't posting his curry suck fests lol.

Curry is once again spending the majority of his time outside of the 3pt like. 2/3rds of his FGs are 3pt attempts, which, if it's anything like past years, is a good amount more than any other player.

He's the one guy whose entire success is hyper focused on one aspect of the game. You take away any one aspect of a top25player.. they'll be fine more or less. But if the NBA were to ever make rule changes to move away from this 3pt-era we are in, his game would be nuked. If they ever move that 3pt line back again, he might as well retire.

I always know when Curry isn't playing well, when Lakercat isn't posting his curry suck fests lol.

Curry is once again spending the majority of his time outside of the 3pt like. 2/3rds of his FGs are 3pt attempts, which, if it's anything like past years, is a good amount more than any other player.

He's the one guy whose entire success is hyper focused on one aspect of the game. You take away any one aspect of a top25player.. they'll be fine more or less. But if the NBA were to ever make rule changes to move away from this 3pt-era we are in, his game would be nuked. If they ever move that 3pt line back again, he might as well retire.
I mean, the Warriors FO has done a poor job managing the pieces around him. Curry has made at least four 3pt FG and has scored at least 21 points in every game. He’s firmly in the 50-40-90 club. No other Warrior has scored more than 20 points in a game this year. He needs help; Lebron had it; MJ had it; Kobe had it. Why not Steph? What Steph is able to do is that much more impressive.

I mean, the Warriors FO has done a poor job managing the pieces around him. Curry has made at least four 3pt FG and has scored at least 21 points in every game. He’s firmly in the 50-40-90 club. No other Warrior has scored more than 20 points in a game this year. He needs help; Lebron had it; MJ had it; Kobe had it. Why not Steph? What Steph is able to do is that much more impressive.

What?! He has been given every piece and opportunity to win titles that the majority of players will NEVER see. He has already played with like 5 or 6 HOF talents. Iggy, Dray, Klay, KD and CP3..

The fact that you think Steph didn't have help over the years is mind boggling. A truly dumb take.

Lebron made an nba finals in which the second best player was Daniel Gibson. Daniel Gibson at his peak would probably get scrub minutes on every GS team Curry has been on.

Green, Paul and Klay are multi time All-Stars. Wiggins made it one time. How many great pieces does Curry need to succeed? It's the Warriors defense that is losing games for them. Curry is a big part of that defensive liability and the reason they traded for Gary Peyton, Jr and Chris Paul.

Last edited:
Green, Paul and Klay are multi time All-Stars. Wiggins made it one time. How many great pieces does Curry need to succeed? It's the Warriors defense that is losing games for them. Curry is a big part of that defensive liability and the reason they traded for Gary Peyton, Jr and Chris Paul.
Luka has nothing but a washed kyrie and they are sitting at 8-2 this season.

What?! He has been given every piece and opportunity to win titles that the majority of players will NEVER see. He has already played with like 5 or 6 HOF talents. Iggy, Dray, Klay, KD and CP3..

The fact that you think Steph didn't have help over the years is mind boggling. A truly dumb take.
Your hate for Steph clouds your thinking. I’m talking about right now. Klay is washed, Paul is 38, Wiggins can’t stay on the floor, Green is ok. You’re crazy if you think Klay, Green, and CP3 are the same players that they once were.

Your hate for Steph clouds your thinking. I’m talking about right now. Klay is washed, Paul is 38, Wiggins can’t stay on the floor, Green is ok. You’re crazy if you think Klay, Green, and CP3 are the same players that they once were.

Right now, maybe. But that doesn't excuse the fact that for the last 8 years, he has had a better team around him than anyone else in the NBA. And it also doesn't bring to attention the fact that Steph will likely team up AGAIN with another super star team before his career is over. Dude basically called KD crying for help. It was pathetic.

And even now, Green is still an invaluable piece with rebounding, defense, IQ. CP3 is a fantastic 2nd piece at guard. It's not like this is some bum roster.

Right now, maybe. But that doesn't excuse the fact that for the last 8 years, he has had a better team around him than anyone else in the NBA. And it also doesn't bring to attention the fact that Steph will likely team up AGAIN with another super star team before his career is over. Dude basically called KD crying for help. It was pathetic.

And even now, Green is still an invaluable piece with rebounding, defense, IQ. CP3 is a fantastic 2nd piece at guard. It's not like this is some bum roster.
Lebron and kyrie beat that team.

Lebron and kyrie beat that team.

The one thing I'll say about that.. those GSW teams were basically unbeatable. They had a bench that was better than some NBA teams, outright. If it wasn't for the Draymond suspension, I'm not sure Lebron gets anywhere near that NBA title.

The one thing I'll say about that.. those GSW teams were basically unbeatable. They had a bench that was better than some NBA teams, outright. If it wasn't for the Draymond suspension, I'm not sure Lebron gets anywhere near that NBA title.
We will never know but I think all of the games were competitive - didn’t dray only miss game 5 and maybe game 6?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT