ADVERTISEMENT

Official Steph Curry is GOAT thread

lakercat

Senior
Jul 17, 2003
After his fourth game of 40 points or more by the end of the third quarter, and his 6th game of 40 or more points, Steph Curry is playing at a level which no one has ever matched. He had 5 quarters of 20 or points; he shot 10-11 from the field, and 5-5 threes (three of which were 30 feet or further) in the third quarter. This is also his FIFTH game with eight or more threes. He is averaging more than 5 threes per game; he is averaging more than two steals per game, and is shooting at a stupid 52.4 percent rate. He will hit 15 threes in a game this season....if the other team is close enough. I predicted 74-8; they might go 79-3. Not even Jordan has matched this level of efficiency, and the 72' Bulls didn't match this start. Wow, Steph is GOAT right now.

He's one of the best, if not the best players in the Nba. When you think about a feat like that, it really is amazing Steph could go so far with his game! I remember watching him play in college and so many saying things like "could be a good 3 point shooter if open in nba, but not much else" and now you look at him and he's the MVP and most exciting player in the Nba to watch. I also just used Curry and the Warriors on 2k16 and can't say i was letdown! That kid's stepback 3 point shot is just money on 2k! I would love to see the Warriors break the Bull's record of 72 games won on the year. That would be awesome to see and to think a guy as small as Curry leading the Warriors to that type of season, it's insane!

Reactions: Jkwo
Steph is revolutionizing the game. Like Jordan did in his time; Steph is changing the way the game is played. I couldn't shoot that well on 2K15 with sliders on 95. Is this real? He had 14 points in the LAST TWO minutes of the third quarter. The tour stop in Toronto at 5PM Saturday.

They are amazing to watch right now and are changing the game. Benefits guys like Tyler Ulis.

79-3? LOL. Put down the pipe OP. Curry is great though, best 3 point shooter in NBA history IMO.

No one has ever matched it?

Two guys on the same team had comparable streaks just in the last year or two - Westbrook last season had 4 straight triple doubles averaging 37, 10.5, and 13.5 - he continued after that with a 40 point streak (the game that broke his triple double streak was 43, 8 and 7)

Not to mention Durant the season before had 41 straight games of 25+ points, 12 straight games with 30+ (hasn't been done since Wilt), averaged 36 and 35 ppg in two different months, had at least 15 40+ games that season.

Reactions: MWes11
One thing that will get him to GOAT discussion is sustaining this for 2-3 years.

It can't be just one.

But damn, that boy can score!!

Reactions: TexKat
Curry is having one of the greatest offensive runs of all time. He's right now the best offensive player in the league. That said to say Jordan was never this efficient is ridiculous considering Jordan averaged 32, 8, 8, and 3 for a whole season in 89 while shooting 53% when he ran the point for the Bulls and had no one to take defenders off of him (Pippen wasn't anywhere close to what he would become). He had a bunch of full seasons like how Curry has started this year with 30+ points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists on 50% shooting.

You will wake up and view this tread like a guy views a fat girl he shagged on a drunken Saturday night at his friends bachelors party.

Curry is having one of the greatest offensive runs of all time. He's right now the best offensive player in the league. That said to say Jordan was never this efficient is ridiculous considering Jordan averaged 32, 8, 8, and 3 for a whole season in 89 while shooting 53% when he ran the point for the Bulls and had no one to take defenders off of him (Pippen wasn't anywhere close to what he would become). He had a bunch of full seasons like how Curry has started this year with 30+ points, 6 rebounds, and 6 assists on 50% shooting.

Very good points....also lets not forget that there are two parts to playing basketball.....Curry is a very very average defender and Jordan was All NBA defense numerous numerous time. AND when they used to allow hand checking it was a vastly different game being played then todays NBA.

Reactions: brianpoe
He's one of the best, if not the best players in the Nba. When you think about a feat like that, it really is amazing Steph could go so far with his game! I remember watching him play in college and so many saying things like "could be a good 3 point shooter if open in nba, but not much else" and now you look at him and he's the MVP and most exciting player in the Nba to watch. I also just used Curry and the Warriors on 2k16 and can't say i was letdown! That kid's stepback 3 point shot is just money on 2k! I would love to see the Warriors break the Bull's record of 72 games won on the year. That would be awesome to see and to think a guy as small as Curry leading the Warriors to that type of season, it's insane!
It is truly bizarre that a 6'2 guy with short arms, zero muscle, so-so NBA athleticism could turn into one of the greatest scorers of all time, a more than respectable defensive guard, and not just an all star, but an MVP and the leader of one of the best teams of all time.

There are other greats like Bird or Barkley who had one or two distinct disadvantages and became all timers, but I can't think of anybody else (in the last 30 years with all the freak athletes) who achieved such a level having basically every disadvantage that is supposed to hurt your "upside" as a draft prospect.

Steve Nash I guess is the closest thing I can think of, but he was useless on defense and his MVP awards were more controversial.

What he said. What Curry's doing right now is near unprecedented.

Very good points....also lets not forget that there are two parts to playing basketball.....Curry is a very very average defender and Jordan was All NBA defense numerous numerous time. AND when they used to allow hand checking is was a vastly different game being played then todays NBA.
Zone defense, packing the paint, and a whole bunch of other things were also illegal during that time. LeBron would have rather played during that time

Let's just say there is a reason scoring was really high in the 90s and haven't been that high since. Team defense is better now

Reactions: Jazzycat
Jordan also got to the line a ton too. Steph doesn't get those calls, and he is still playing at a GOAT-level. Curry just hit ANOTHER three.

Reactions: 15seconds?
He's clearly not the GOAT but he's the best player in the NBA right now.

Steph isn't changing the game.. The Warriors are. How are people not getting this? what were the warriors doing before Thompson and Green?

Zone defense, packing the paint, and a whole bunch of other things were also illegal during that time. LeBron would have rather played during that time

Let's just say there is a reason scoring was really high in the 90s and haven't been that high since. Team defense is better now

Watch a game from the 80s and 90s. Yes illegal defense was a rule but unless a coach complained enough they rarely called it. Players like Olujawon, Ewing, Robinson and Shaq were still able to just camp in the lane if they wanted. Big men were also much poorer perimeter shooters. The best perimeter shooting center Jordan played with was Bill Cartwright and his range was 15 feet. The lanes weren't any less clogged then as they are now. The league now is designed for perimeter players and perimeter players are dominating it. Jordan dominated at a time when the league was still designed for big men to dominate.

Reactions: Dream Team 13
Jordan is the greatest player I've ever seen. Magic and LeBron are even to me right behind him. I separate perimeter players from bigs because so hard to compare impact.

Steph is incredibly fun to watch.

I just hate now a days how easily fans throw around unprecedented play before when the truth is players have been putting up these kinds of numbers with this efficiency since the late 70s and even earlier in some instances.

Reactions: brianpoe
It is truly bizarre that a 6'2 guy with short arms, zero muscle, so-so NBA athleticism could turn into one of the greatest scorers of all time, a more than respectable defensive guard, and not just an all star, but an MVP and the leader of one of the best teams of all time.

There are other greats like Bird or Barkley who had one or two distinct disadvantages and became all timers, but I can't think of anybody else (in the last 30 years with all the freak athletes) who achieved such a level having basically every disadvantage that is supposed to hurt your "upside" as a draft prospect.

Steve Nash I guess is the closest thing I can think of, but he was useless on defense and his MVP awards were more controversial.

Go back 40 years and think about Tiny Archibald. He was smaller than Curry and led the league in scoring and assists. You never hear his name anymore.

You could argue that he had elite quickness, but Curry has elite shooting ability, including the quickness of his release.

All of these guys are elite in at least one facet, clearly.

Jordan is the greatest player I've ever seen. Magic and LeBron are even to me right behind him. I separate perimeter players from bigs because so hard to compare impact.

Steph is incredibly fun to watch.

I just hate now a days how easily fans throw around unprecedented play before when the truth is players have been putting up these kinds of numbers with this efficiency since the late 70s and even earlier in some instances.
That's wrong.

No one has ever come remotely close to putting up the numbers that Steph Curry is from 3 point range, and that pushes his efficiency into a range that no one else has really matched. Ever.

Does that make him the GOAT? No, not by a long shot. Part of what Curry is doing is a function of era and style of play. The 3 point revolution has really only taken hold the last decade in the NBA, and has escalated the last 5 years. Curry is, clearly, the perfect guy to take advantage of that. It's like Dan Marino coming around shortly after the NFL became pass-happy, or Wayne Gretzky playing hockey right in the era when scoring hit an all-time high. The right guy at the right time leads to unprecedented production.

Steph Curry right now is what Pete Maravich thought he was (but wasn't, because he really wasn't a truly great shooter). And yes, Curry is revolutionary. But...it's really only a one year + 20 game thing. We'll see how long it lasts, and we'll see if anyone else comes along with a similar skillset.

Reactions: STEVECAT
Man.. I'm really curious to see what happens when GSW gets blown up via 1. Players wanting more money and 2. Curry getting double the salary now with a Max contract .. I think the talent is there but people are really blowing him up to astronomical levels.

Reactions: STEVECAT
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT