ADVERTISEMENT

***** OFFICIAL LSU VS UK GAME THREAD *****

True. We struggled with it more than we should have.

And I have to think coming into this game they knew LSU would press at some point.

But as long as Tyty and Wheeler come back, I'm not going to sweat the last 2 mins of this one all that much. It was another big win shorthanded. We played great offensively for 18 mins in that second half against a very good LSU defensive team without 2 starters.

This coming on the heels of one of the best offensive games we've had in the Cal era vs Alabama. Again without two starters.
We aren't going to play against many teams that can press like LSU. They are good at forcing turnovers.

Also, with a full allotment of guards, playing 4 of them to break the press or at the end of a game is an option.

Cal got worked in that first half but he did a hell of a job making adjustments at the half. That’s like 2 games in a row from him.

Maybe this is a new Cal
I truly believe Cal is getting some fabulous coaching help making adjustments at halftime from his assistant coaches.

We have rarely seen Cal make these kind of halftime adjustments before this year.

Bodes really well for NCAA tournament for this team.

Last edited:
One thing that has been great. We've seen a game where Damion Collins and Bryce Hopkins have randomly come in and sparked the team with double figures. In the past, we really haven't seen that type of thing from the "talented but buried" guys this late in the season. It reminds me of Marcus Lee in the Elite Eight randomly just stepping up.

If we were to rate everyone after every 100 posts they made and judged them by accuracy, insight, and consistency you'd be one of the top 5 commentors on a regular basis. Even you though aren't going to be right about everything- it happens. jmHo anyway.
Appreciate it, but have to call myself out as I've told everyone I'd do/will continue to do if incorrect. Nothing wrong with that. Can't accept praise from you and other kind people here and then duck when making an incorrect comment. It's been fun to be in the game threads to VENT too. Usually during the week UK plays same night as my HS team. Feels good to vent and think we all piss and moan enough to get some positive momentum going. lol

Just because I called out a troll who wants attention, it shouldn't give you reason to think that I am mad. I am just giving you the attention that you seek.
I don’t think u know what a troll is. I called out all the bad posts from the first half that ended up being brutally wrong, that’s not trolling. U however are choosing to attack me simply for making said post in support of my team. So whose the troll?

We aren't going to play against many teams that can press like LSU. They are good at forcing turnovers.

Also, with a full allotment of guards, playing 4 of them to break the press or at the end of a game is an option.

This is why this one kinda worried me. But we took good care of the ball until the last part of the game thankfully.

Had LSU pressed sooner.........who knows.

I truly believe Cal is getting some fabulous coaching help making adjustments at halftime from his assistant coaches.

We have never seen Cal make these kind of halftime adjustments before this year.

Bodes really well for NCAA tournament for this team.
Cal makes great adjustments but I echo your comments on the staff. Best Staff he's had at UK.

I mean when Brooks refuses to throw the ball in and then also refuses to not get trapped in the corner, hard to blame Cal. You break the press by creating angles and space. Not turning your back. Exhaustion was huge. LSU should've played that style all night.

Cal got worked in that first half but he did a hell of a job making adjustments at the half. That’s like 2 games in a row from him.

Maybe this is a new Cal
He did extremely well in the second half until he decided to take Brooks off ice to reinsert him back into the game when the team needed ball handling. Because Hopkins was handling the ball so well, he should have stayed in the game. Ball handling is one of Brooks major weaknesses.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
This is why this one kinda worried me. But we took good care of the ball until the last part of the game thankfully.

Had LSU pressed sooner.........who knows.
We extended the lead against the press earlier in the half. They were pressing when we reached our largest margin, iirc.

Crazy things can happen in slivers of sample sizes lol

Reactions: The_Answer1313
Ahh yes. The kind of middle school coach that beats two tough conferences opponents without his two top ball handlers. You know.... That kind of middle school coach.
"Last two minutes" was the key part of my statement, in case you missed that part.

For those worried about the finish that was all exhaustion. Grady and Mintz aren't used to playing 40 minutes under that kind of defensive pressure.

Great point, but those with negativitis don't pay attention to nor care about looking at things rationally. They'd rather act like that teenager breaking up with a boyfriend or girlfriend for the first time.

I don’t think u know what a troll is. I called out all the bad posts from the first half that ended up being brutally wrong, that’s not trolling. U however are choosing to attack me simply for making said post in support of my team. So whose the troll?
I pegged you correctly. If you can't take the heat, don't start ish that you can't handle. You want attention so don't run from it now.

You don't know what a bad post is son, I made the comment about us not being able to hit shots, Kentucky shot 33% the first half, what part of that do you not understand?

100% agree. 10 second was called with 21 seconds left on the shot clock. And absolutely no way that 5 second called was a full 5 seconds.
Grady got hacked for a TO. Then Mintz gets beat by two guys and they call a travel. That’s Vegas influence no doubt. They didn’t call anything else like that all night.

Grady got hacked for a TO. Then Mintz gets beat by two guys and they call a travel. That’s Vegas influence no doubt. They didn’t call anything else like that all night.
Yep. LSU was fouling the entire game and refs were calling it. You wanna try to tell me that suddenly, when they are pressing for their lives, they are somehow doing it without fouling? Ridiculous. Call the damn game constantly.

Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
You don't know what a bad post is son, I made the comment about us not being able to hit shots, Kentucky shot 33% the first half, what part of that do you not understand?
The part where we scored 50 points in the second half….but u said we wouldn’t be able to score even with lsu off the court right???? Lol

I pegged you correctly. If you can't take the heat, don't start ish that you can't handle. You want attention so don't run from it now.
Which is it? Am I trying to get attention or running away? You’ve accused me of both in consecutive posts maybe it’s just you that doesn’t have a clue and is trying to save face because u were included in a brutal post showing up all the haters in the first half that we’re down on the team. Learn the cheer FOR us and not against us and u wouldn’t be called out. But like u said u want the attention so don’t run from it

What
A
Game
those last three turnovers…utter bs calls
But that’s okay
We got the win. This team has more heart..and their love and support for their teammates is truly amazing. Not sure how much they showed on tv, but watching the guys MOB Hopkins during the timeouts was just amazing to watch
This team is fast approaching being my favorite all time

What
A
Game
those last three turnovers…utter bs calls
But that’s okay
We got the win. This team has more heart..and their love and support for their teammates is truly amazing. Not sure how much they showed on tv, but watching the guys MOB Hopkins during the timeouts was just amazing to watch
This team is fast approaching being my favorite all time
I'm not sure how many times I have seen the home team get three bad calls in the last minute, but we sure did. I hope this was Hopkins coming out party, he will be another headache for opposing coaches. It was a great win.

The part where we scored 50 points in the second half….but u said we wouldn’t be able to score even with lsu off the court right???? Lol
People say things in game threads, while attending games, etc that is full of emotion/exaggeration. We all do it.

Reactions: Fox2monk
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT