ADVERTISEMENT

Official Fire Coach Cal Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cal has had his chance and failed miserably. Making way too much money for what he has brought to the table. We could not wait to get rid of our former Coach yet we say give the snake oil salesman this year and next.
well to be fair that post was from last season saying he deserved to coach this season.

I don't think anyone will accuse me of being on the Cal bandwagon here, its just a pragmatic approach to the situation.

And from a pragmatic standpoint, he'd have to do some pretty bad stuff on and off the court to get fired this year.

Secondly, I'm in no hurry at the moment because the names that are being thrown around as his replacement don't excite me. I'm warming up to Mussellman but its still very early and we can't have a coach that needs to learn on the job here, also there is more to being a coach at UK than just being Xs and Os. You bring in a guy that wants to stay in the gym 24/7 and has the personality of a slug, he's going to fail at UK just as badly.

Cal truly has taken the joy and excitement out of UK basketball , and I never, ever, thought that could happen.

I don't care if we did lose next year's class, it would be worth it to get him out of here.
Not for me. I still look forward to each game. I think we will be very good to great within a few weeks. Sorry you are not no longer interested.

Reactions: Chitown Terry
We are all miserable watching this team. We are all fed up with the constant revolving door of the One and Done. We all can see the coaching deficiencies of John Calipari. We are all tired of the biggest night of the basketball season being draft night. We can see the decline in our team since we lost Coach Payne and I think it’s obvious that he was the most important person on our coaching staff in developing these young kids. Let’s see how big we can make this thread in support of moving away from Coach Cal and starting fresh at the University of Kentucky.
So you want Tom Izzo.

We are all miserable watching this team. We are all fed up with the constant revolving door of the One and Done. We all can see the coaching deficiencies of John Calipari. We are all tired of the biggest night of the basketball season being draft night. We can see the decline in our team since we lost Coach Payne and I think it’s obvious that he was the most important person on our coaching staff in developing these young kids. Let’s see how big we can make this thread in support of moving away from Coach Cal and starting fresh at the University of Kentucky.
Sure Coach Payne did it all. He is proving it at Louisville

Cal is exactly in the same spot Tubby was once he got his fat contract...mailing it in and living off the rep of UK.

Problem is Tubby was a decent bench coach and got fat metaphorically, while Cal is a lousy bench coach and looks like Fat Bastard waddling around with no coat, tie and his dress shirt pulled out like a slob.

Tubby never shit the bed quite like this. 💩

1kYNkyY.jpg
The UKBB coach "Has No Clothes" ... still thinks he's an Emperor.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
It says that I care about the UK Basketball program more than I care about that Clown Coach. What does it say about you being nothing more than Cal's jock itch?
I support the Kentucky coach whoever that is. I am a Kentucky fan not a Cal hater like you.

I support the Kentucky coach whoever that is. I am a Kentucky fan not a Cal hater like you.
I don't "hate" anyone. You don't know me from Adam. You must be weak-minded to spew that crap. I don't like Calipari's motives and don't like his stewardship over this program. For you to use the word "hate" speaks volumes about you but mostly says that you have no argument at all. I supported Calipari in his early years but when it became obvious that his motives changed or methods began to fail, it became apparent that his efforts were not in the best interest of the "UK Program" ... everything changed. I care about the Program and if that Clown Coach's intent is to serve his own selfish interest (narcissist) ... oh yes, I want him gone, yesterday. What you're saying is that you support the coach regardless of the result of his performance as coach. If that's the case, it doesn't make you a Kentucky "fan" ... it makes you a Kentucky "fool" in my book if you, at all, care about the Program. For you to say that I'm not a fan, says you're not even "up to" the conversation. If we, as fans, don't let our collective voices be heard to correct the harm being done to this program, then so-called fans like you won't have anything to celebrate.

I don't "hate" anyone. You don't know me from Adam. You must be weak-minded to spew that crap. I don't like Calipari's motives and don't like his stewardship over this program. For you to use the word "hate" speaks volumes about you but mostly says that you have no argument at all. I supported Calipari in his early years but when it became obvious that his motives changed or methods began to fail, it became apparent that his efforts were not in the best interest of the "UK Program" ... everything changed. I care about the Program and if that Clown Coach's intent is to serve his own selfish interest (narcissist) ... oh yes, I want him gone, yesterday. What you're saying is that you support the coach regardless of the result of his performance as coach. If that's the case, it doesn't make you a Kentucky "fan" ... it makes you a Kentucky "fool" in my book if you, at all, care about the Program. For you to say that I'm not a fan, says you're not even "up to" the conversation. If we, as fans, don't let our collective voices be heard to correct the harm being done to this program, then so-called fans like you won't have anything to celebrate.
What harm? Hall of Fame coach with one of the best records in college basketball while he has been at UK. Get used to it because Cal will be here several more years.

Not for me. I still look forward to each game. I think we will be very good to great within a few weeks. Sorry you are not no longer interested.
Perhaps I worded that badly; obviously I'm still interested or I wouldn't be here daily, lol.

I'm interested in, and fully invested in my Wildcats, and will be until the day I leave this earth. I'm 60 years old, and became a true " fanatic " of the Big Blue when I was 7.

My issue lies with our coach, not the program, as is the case with many of our fellow posters here. The problems/concerns/issues we have with Cal have been posted and discussed here for quite a while, so I won't go into that now.

The expectations we all have for the team are not being met, and we're paying this guy 9 million a year; it's insane.

With the drop in expectations comes a level of apathy rarely ever seen here before. He brings in scores of incredible athletes and tries to out talent the opponent. It uses to work, now it doesn't work. You simply cannot have 2 or 3 guys on the floor at that same time that are offensively challenged.

I wish he could prove me wrong, but I honestly feel as though it's time for him to move on, and for UK to find an up and coming coach who values skills as well as athleticism.

It's time for the fun, excitement, and expectations to return to this program, it's just not there anymore with Cal, IMHO.

Peace, WW.

What harm? Hall of Fame coach with one of the best records in college basketball while he has been at UK. Get used to it because Cal will be here several more years.
For the past couple of years Ive called out some fans on here for being irrational for there anger and constant jabs at the coach and the team. but recently what I have seen makes me think Im the irrational one. What harm you say?

9/16…..9/16 and honestly no ownership for that season.

Major first round upset after the 9/16 year and again no ownership.

The lack of taking control of the Sharpe situation.

Consistently not having his team ready to play including this year.

Constantly alienating the fan base instead of understanding there passion. Not.. you all are crazy but more of you are the most passionate fan base in college basketball.

Losing the all time wins lead. Yes I know KU has played more games but wasn’t that the fact when we were leading by 10 or 15 games?

but for me the worst thing is that no matter how much another team or fan base or journalist may have hated UK, Deep down they respected the program as being basketball royalty and opposing team literally feard us. Now all I see in contempt for what we become.

I dispise all the negativity on this board and HOB but now I fully understand it.

Cal will not be here past next year when he falls flat on his face with his monstrous class. It will be a year of “we’re Young”, “they’re not robots”, “I like my team”, BS we are all more than tired of. We will beat up up on high school teams while having a losing record against legit competition. Will have one or two unexpected wins to give some of us a false sense of security, finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC, get bounced in SEC semi finals and either the round of 32 or 16 in the NCAA.

Cal can’t even recruit his way out his own mess now, his coaching is that bad. You and a few others can continue to offer that blind support if you like (assuming you are even a KY fan) but a true fan demands excellence or at least the appearance of it, Cal keeps us from holiday tournament play, has watered down the home schedule so bad Where the value just isn’t remotely there for season ticket holders, puts an inferior product on the court due to his coaching malfeasance, gives us all the same tiring excuses along with all of his BS cal-isms (everyone’s Super Bowl, good standard, can’t hide you BS), all the while talking down to the BBN about our lack of Basketball knowledge. There are people on this board, myself included, who have never coached even at the high school level, but have a better understanding of todays game and could do a much better job than this buffoon is currently doing and the piss poor effort he has put forth the past 5 years at a Minimum. He’s always been a lazy ass coach and lost games he had no business in losing but now he’s just losing all of the important ones all the time. He can go eff himself. Support that!!!!

Cal will not be here past next year when he falls flat on his face with his monstrous class. It will be a year of “we’re Young”, “they’re not robots”, “I like my team”, BS we are all more than tired of. We will beat up up on high school teams while having a losing record against legit competition. Will have one or two unexpected wins to give some of us a false sense of security, finish 3rd or 4th in the SEC, get bounced in SEC semi finals and either the round of 32 or 16 in the NCAA.

Cal can’t even recruit his way out his own mess now, his coaching is that bad. You and a few others can continue to offer that blind support if you like (assuming you are even a KY fan) but a true fan demands excellence or at least the appearance of it, Cal keeps us from holiday tournament play, has watered down the home schedule so bad Where the value just isn’t remotely there for season ticket holders, puts an inferior product on the court due to his coaching malfeasance, gives us all the same tiring excuses along with all of his BS cal-isms (everyone’s Super Bowl, good standard, can’t hide you BS), all the while talking down to the BBN about our lack of Basketball knowledge. There are people on this board, myself included, who have never coached even at the high school level, but have a better understanding of todays game and could do a much better job than this buffoon is currently doing and the piss poor effort he has put forth the past 5 years at a Minimum. He’s always been a lazy ass coach and lost games he had no business in losing but now he’s just losing all of the important ones all the time. He can go eff himself. Support that!!!!
How much money do u want to bet Cal will not be here after next year. Name the amount since you are so sure.

For the past couple of years Ive called out some fans on here for being irrational for there anger and constant jabs at the coach and the team. but recently what I have seen makes me think Im the irrational one. What harm you say?

9/16…..9/16 and honestly no ownership for that season.

Major first round upset after the 9/16 year and again no ownership.

The lack of taking control of the Sharpe situation.

Consistently not having his team ready to play including this year.

Constantly alienating the fan base instead of understanding there passion. Not.. you all are crazy but more of you are the most passionate fan base in college basketball.

Losing the all time wins lead. Yes I know KU has played more games but wasn’t that the fact when we were leading by 10 or 15 games?

but for me the worst thing is that no matter how much another team or fan base or journalist may have hated UK, Deep down they respected the program as being basketball royalty and opposing team literally feard us. Now all I see in contempt for what we become.

I dispise all the negativity on this board and HOB but now I fully understand it.
You say 9/16 and no ownership. You also say a 1st round upset last year and no ownership. Cal told everyone to blame him. He did take ownership even though things were a lot more complicated than you people want to admit. You keep complaining about the Covid season. Many of the top programs in college basketball had losing records that year. Last year TyTy Washington, the most talented player on the team, got injured.He did not play nearly as well for the rest of the year. Kellan Grady, the best shooter on the team, had a bad foot injury at the end of the year. I don't care who in the hell the coach is the team would have struggled the last 2 years. Cal took the blame totally to protect his team from some of you lunatics. The fact that a team you claim to support loses a few games after experiencing adversity is no reason to hate the coach's guts. That's especially true when you have had the success Cal has had at Kentucky. Most of the people on this forum act like a bunch of spoiled children who throw tantrums when you don't get your way. The team has barely started playing this year and many of you have already lost your minds after 2 losses. You wanted Cal to schedule games against tougher teams. Did you really think the team would go undefeated this season? You could at least wait until the team has played a significant number of games this year before you start reacting so negatively. As for Sharpe, I can understand fans being upset about what happened. I believe the guy was given bad advice by his advisor. If he had played last year, Kentucky wouldn't have lost to St. Peters. He also would have been drafted even earlier in the NBA draft. I'm sure Cal will never be fooled by a player like that again. If Cal had thrown him off the team for not playing, the program would have really been harmed. It would have really hurt Kentucky's recruiting. The fact that Sharpe went so highly in the draft after only practicing with the team has helped Kentucky more than you people want to admit.

Youve been on hear since Sumday and you know Kack shot. Just saying its your fault out loud doesnt mean someone means it. Wha you do to correct it speaks volumes. Adk anyone Ive never been know as a negative poster. And I always support the team and coach but Cal appears to he going through the motions in regards to preparation mg the tyleam and in game coaching. You cant have an uncommitted leader. You problem need to be around more than a week before you judge anyone.

How much money do u want to bet Cal will not be here after next year. Name the amount since you are so sure.
Does it really matter if I bet $500, $1000, or even a $1. If cal isn’t the coach after next year you won’t pay up.

You say 9/16 and no ownership. You also say a 1st round upset last year and no ownership. Cal told everyone to blame him. He did take ownership even though things were a lot more complicated than you people want to admit. You keep complaining about the Covid season. Many of the top programs in college basketball had losing records that year. Last year TyTy Washington, the most talented player on the team, got injured.He did not play nearly as well for the rest of the year. Kellan Grady, the best shooter on the team, had a bad foot injury at the end of the year. I don't care who in the hell the coach is the team would have struggled the last 2 years. Cal took the blame totally to protect his team from some of you lunatics. The fact that a team you claim to support loses a few games after experiencing adversity is no reason to hate the coach's guts. That's especially true when you have had the success Cal has had at Kentucky. Most of the people on this forum act like a bunch of spoiled children who throw tantrums when you don't get your way. The team has barely started playing this year and many of you have already lost your minds after 2 losses. You wanted Cal to schedule games against tougher teams. Did you really think the team would go undefeated this season? You could at least wait until the team has played a significant number of games this year before you start reacting so negatively. As for Sharpe, I can understand fans being upset about what happened. I believe the guy was given bad advice by his advisor. If he had played last year, Kentucky wouldn't have lost to St. Peters. He also would have been drafted even earlier in the NBA draft. I'm sure Cal will never be fooled by a player like that again. If Cal had thrown him off the team for not playing, the program would have really been harmed. It would have really hurt Kentucky's recruiting. The fact that Sharpe went so highly in the draft after only practicing with the team has helped Kentucky more than you people want to admit.
How in the hell would kicking a guy off the team who refuses to play hurt recruiting? I’ve seen this over and over from a few people and makes absolutely zero sense.

What evidence do you have to support sharpe getting drafted after only practicing has helped us in recruiting? Please don’t point to next years #1 draft class. How many number 1 classes have we had here under Cal before sharpe.

Reactions: KYFOSSIL
Youve been on hear since Sumday and you know Kack shot. Just saying its your fault out loud doesnt mean someone means it. Wha you do to correct it speaks volumes. Adk anyone Ive never been know as a negative poster. And I always support the team and coach but Cal appears to he going through the motions in regards to preparation mg the tyleam and in game coaching. You cant have an uncommitted leader. You problem need to be around more than a week before you judge anyone.
I have been reading posts on this forum for over a year. I am very familiar with the mentality expressed by most of you on this forum. How in the hell does Cal appear to be going through the motions? If you saw the last game, he made some changes. He is trying to get the team to play better.

How in the hell would kicking a guy off the team who refuses to play hurt recruiting? I’ve seen this over and over from a few people and makes absolutely zero sense.

What evidence do you have to support sharpe getting drafted after only practicing has helped us in recruiting? Please don’t point to next years #1 draft class. How many number 1 classes have we had here under Cal before sharpe.
I believe that a lot of recruits and people around them would have reacted very negatively if Sharpe had been kicked off the team. I think that I understand how they would feel about that a lot better than most of you because of my background. I also believe that one and done players are really impressed with Kentucky. They think that Kentucky does a great job of preparing top recruits for the NBA.The fact that Sharpe got drafted in the top 10 in the draft if anything enhances Kentucky's reputation with those recruits. It makes it clear that Cal and his staff are very respected in terms of their ability to develop players by NBA decision makers.

He’s coaching at this through next year with that class coming in so people need to grin and bear it. But truthfully, I want next year to be his last.

Perhaps I worded that badly; obviously I'm still interested or I wouldn't be here daily, lol.

I'm interested in, and fully invested in my Wildcats, and will be until the day I leave this earth. I'm 60 years old, and became a true " fanatic " of the Big Blue when I was 7.

My issue lies with our coach, not the program, as is the case with many of our fellow posters here. The problems/concerns/issues we have with Cal have been posted and discussed here for quite a while, so I won't go into that now.

The expectations we all have for the team are not being met, and we're paying this guy 9 million a year; it's insane.

With the drop in expectations comes a level of apathy rarely ever seen here before. He brings in scores of incredible athletes and tries to out talent the opponent. It uses to work, now it doesn't work. You simply cannot have 2 or 3 guys on the floor at that same time that are offensively challenged.

I wish he could prove me wrong, but I honestly feel as though it's time for him to move on, and for UK to find an up and coming coach who values skills as well as athleticism.

It's time for the fun, excitement, and expectations to return to this program, it's just not there anymore with Cal, IMHO.

Peace, WW.
No drop in expectations from me. You do not like Cal, thats fine.
99% of the people experience fun and excitement at the games. I know, I go to the games. I am disappointed at times and critical at times but for the most part, I am still a kid with a kid like excitement when it comes to UK basketball. I will not let a coach or a small portion of the fanbase on this board take that away.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
I have been reading posts on this forum for over a year. I am very familiar with the mentality expressed by most of you on this forum. How in the hell does Cal appear to be going through the motions? If you saw the last game, he made some changes. He is trying to get the team to play better.
If you honestly have been reading this for the past year and I’ve been against the negatively and I support the team and the coach and I will all year long but honestly at this time I would almost think that they do well in spite of cows approaches. I believe Cal was and can be a very good coach but he is not the past several years

I believe that a lot of recruits and people around them would have reacted very negatively if Sharpe had been kicked off the team. I think that I understand how they would feel about that a lot better than most of you because of my background. I also believe that one and done players are really impressed with Kentucky. They think that Kentucky does a great job of preparing top recruits for the NBA.The fact that Sharpe got drafted in the top 10 in the draft if anything enhances Kentucky's reputation with those recruits. It makes it clear that Cal and his staff are very respected in terms of their ability to develop players by NBA decision makers.
UK has far more alumni than any other program by a pretty decent margin. We didn’t need to add a player who never stepped foot on the court to our resume to bolster that. And to that account, no one has any idea how good sharpe was when he stepped on campus. Did he improve with his one year or regress, no one knows as no one saw him play.

Regarding recruting from that standpoint, I’m just the opposite. I think coaches could use that against him for letting a player dictate if he feels like playing or not. Doesn’t send a great message for building a cohesive team. We actually want players, like Oscar, who want to win, and not just show up fo their 6 months and move on with little regard to what they accomplish while here.

that makes it even worse if he is trying and still failing

If you honestly have been reading this for the past year and I’ve been against the negatively and I support the team and the coach and I will all year long but honestly at this time I would almost think that they do well in spite of cows approaches. I believe Cal was and can be a very good coach but he is not the past several years
I disagree. Cal is working very hard. He and the team have had some bad luck for a few years. I think the team will do well this year. I am not giving up on him. He also seems like a nice guy who doesn't deserve the ridiculous hatred and hostility that is constantly expressed towards him on this forum.

UK has far more alumni than any other program by a pretty decent margin. We didn’t need to add a player who never stepped foot on the court to our resume to bolster that. And to that account, no one has any idea how good sharpe was when he stepped on campus. Did he improve with his one year or regress, no one knows as no one saw him play.

Regarding recruting from that standpoint, I’m just the opposite. I think coaches could use that against him for letting a player dictate if he feels like playing or not. Doesn’t send a great message for building a cohesive team. We actually want players, like Oscar, who want to win, and not just show up fo their 6 months and move on with little regard to what they accomplish while here.
You're saying that Cal should have turned down a chance to get the player widely considered to be the #1 recruit in the 2023 class? He didn't know that Sharpe's advisor had a secret agenda. Look at what's going on with Nick Smith at Arkansas. He got injured. He seems to be getting better. Despite that fact, a lot of people are speculating that he will not play this season and will simply prepare for the draft. If that happens, are the Arkansas fans supposed to blame the coach? We all like Oscar, but if he knew that he was going to be a lottery pick in the draft would he have returned to Kentucky this year? I seriously doubt it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT