ADVERTISEMENT

"Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

The greatest example of all of this is the kid who sat last year because he was not ready and months later he was on an NBA roster and scoring double digits.

I was a huge Cal supporter but it has become very tough to watch the slow decline of Kentucky basketball over the past six years . There is no question that we are now an underdog in our own conference and fear the Missouri's of the world who have a roster of players who will never sniff the NBA.

I am personally hoping that Cal announces that next year will be his last and that a coach in waiting will be hired once than announcement is made.
I don't want a coach in waiting to be named because I don't want him to have any influence on the hire whatsoever. We need to get as far away from his sytem as possible.

Reactions: KFuqua
Cal is doing NOTHING to advance these players opportunities that they won’t get at any other school, with any other coach. His arrogance is sickening. And he certainly is not doing what he was hired to do and is paid ridiculously handsome for. If he wants to be a life coach then he needs to get out of the basketball coach profession.
He has turned this 67 year old man’s interest in UK to indifference, to the point that is refuse to waste 2 hours of my time to watch a game that will likely disappoint me.

He has put more players in the pros than any other Kentucky coach, but only winning one championship doesn't exactly translate in to being the best coach. He falls into the category of doing less with more to me. When you finish in the top 3 in recruiting year after year, there should be more post season success than what Kentucky has had lately. He said himself one time, this job is only about a 10 year job and that was when he was a looked at as one of the best coaches available. I'm not sure where he would or could go now and make the kind of money he is making here. His job here is to win games and championships.

Reactions: rupp876 and KFuqua
Don’t worry about this horrible game that you’re watching right now. That is not the most important thing!

He has put more players in the pros than any other Kentucky coach, but only winning one championship doesn't exactly translate in to being the best coach. He falls into the category of doing less with more to me. When you finish in the top 3 in recruiting year after year, there should be more post season success than what Kentucky has had lately. He said himself one time, this job is only about a 10 year job and that was when he was a looked at as one of the best coaches available. I'm not sure where he would or could go now and make the kind of money he is making here. His job here is to win games and championships.
I'm starting to think Calipari wants to infuriate the UK fanbase and force his firing aka trigger that massive $50 million or so buyout and then land some other northeastern area job like Villanova or Syracuse.

He has put more players in the pros than any other Kentucky coach, but only winning one championship doesn't exactly translate in to being the best coach. He falls into the category of doing less with more to me. When you finish in the top 3 in recruiting year after year, there should be more post season success
On track to outdoing Dean Smith.

"His job here is to win games and championships" ... that's what we're led to believe and it's a lie. We're all schmucks for putting up with this crap. These players are NOT here long enough to learn anything, assuming there was a coach here to teach them anything. That's WHY every game UK plays is looked at by these "drive-by" players as this week's "audition" for the pro scouts. Even the players don't honestly care about winning, just their draft status. These Creighton, Rhode Island, Illinois State, Georgia transfers "BELIEVE" that when they arrive on campus and pull on that UK jersey for the first time that somehow, they are magically transformed into All Americans, just like those hanging in the Rafters. Calipari's system is one that CANNOT succeed ... it just can't. It's great for feeding Calipari's ego and that's about it. When the attitudes and opinions about Cal begin to turn, as they are now, his narcissistic tendencies will be to lash out at his critics with disgust. Cal will never change his methods because he will never admit he's wrong and, in many ways, their purpose is to disguise his inability to coach in today's game. Calipari is a TRAIN WRECK looking for a place to happen ... it's coming. Sooner the better IMO.

Winning championships and recruiting the "best of the best" is why you were hired, Calipari. Please stop acting like an NBA agent and do more coaching. This team is not reaching its potential at present and may not be successful unless and until you coach them and instruct them in running plays and being a defensive juggernaut.

Beating LSU was good - falling apart at the end of games, however, is not a sign of good coaching. Things need to change rapidly and I am hoping they do. I like Calipari as a coach, but am very disenchanted with his lack of being able to build this team into a more cohesive unit. Maybe it takes more time, but the more games lost, the more difficult it becomes to be successful. Let's see how they respond at Alabama on Saturday. I am willing to give the coaches time to turn this around - this year. If it does not happen, I would be willing for UK to make a change, despite the class coming in next year.

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

- John Calipari
That's great marketing and an excellent recruiting pitch. Nothing more and nothing less. Every Coach wants to win titles.

BUMP
It makes me ill every time I read that quote from him. His belittlement of the fans of the program and the state in general is sickening. Watching and listening to UKBB since 1963, I have more than reached my feel of his arrogant, egotistical, and narcissistic attitude.
Cause if his mission is to win titles he has failed 39/40 times. Guy is a fraud.

He had the best talent in college basketball in the following years.

2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2015 and 2017.

You can make an argument for 2011.

One of six is what he's been able to do.

Never forget!
Trust me ... no forgetting what he's done to this Program. Never forget the dishonest bullshit he's tried selling the fanbase while trying to build a selfish legacy for his narcissist derangement. The guy is not well. The sooner he's gone the better it will be for this Program. I say this and take no joy in doing so. I wish it were different, but how could it be? Cal can't help himself. The strategy now is to decouple from any association with him without doing irreparable harm. He doesn't need to be on a national pedistal representing this University nor coaching this Program. It will be a sad ending to an otherwise notable career. Sometimes you have to get close enough to see people for who they truly are and I think many have seen enough.

Lets keep this on page one so when we miss the tournament again we can remember cal has a bigger mission than that!

I don't want a coach in waiting to be named because I don't want him to have any influence on the hire whatsoever. We need to get as far away from his sytem as possible.
We don't have a system; we have a pro workout facility waiting for the next batch to pass through.

Reactions: seccats04
That's great marketing and an excellent recruiting pitch. Nothing more and nothing less. Every Coach wants to win titles.
Uh, having 8 players drafted helps exactly how many people? 8.

How is that bigger than winning a national title and competing for wins week after week? That is way more impactful.

Cal's mission sounds selfish. If there isn't a fan base, there isn't a program.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT