ADVERTISEMENT

"Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

Gus Polinski

Blue Chip Prospect
Nov 24, 2006
"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

- John Calipari

It’s really worked out for him 39/40 of his coaching years. The guy has one title and is the most overrated coach in the history of Kentucky basketball. There are four other coaches who did the same thing for far less $ and with far less talent.

He’s an honest liar. He should have taken his own advice and left after ten years.

Getting drafted is supposed to be a byproduct of winning big games at this level. How many pros were on the 1996 roster. They didn't have any issue come draft time
Thank you for pointing this out.

We're not the only program who falls under this umbrella but Calipari has turned Kentucky into a place for high school graduates to audition for the NBA.

He should resign and work for UNICEF...but he won't because the selfish prick is all about the $...

Always makes sure the press is around to pump up his tiny ego when he's done anything...those kind of things are supposed to be done in quiet, not broadcasted and trumpeted from one end of the state to the other.

If he wants to impress everyone, donate the remaining of his salary to the poverty stricken in this state...Lord knows he can live off of the interest from what he's swindled so far from the university.

Calipari talks about the draft like he’s making magic happen. Newsflash: it happens everywhere else.
This is spot on. It’s like he is the only one that can get these kids to the draft. It’s clearly all about him. “To be the stone that creates the ripple.” 😂😂😂😂😂😂. What a self righteous SOB he is. 98% of the kids that got drafted here under him where going to the league anyways. He thinks he really is responsible (the only one) for getting kids drafted, which is complete bullshit. Maybe 1-2 kids he might have developed and thats being generous.

The “our” state 🙄 crap is about as bad. There is nothing about this state that he belongs to or belongs to him. He is like a politician who is out of touch with his base.

I know a lot of people say he does “charitable work” here. Really? He orders people to help a coalminer and his family-while he doesnt foot the bill to do so. Then self promotes it as if he is so moved by it. He did it for the attention as much as he did it for the right reasons. This coming from someone who has been on the receiving end of his “charity”. Dude is a phony.

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

- John Calipari
Is this a real quote?

- John Calipari
That right there should have warranted a meeting the the school for clarification of his job responsibilities.

Is this a real quote?
Yes it’s real and it’s been out there for awhile. The day he said that he should have been fired. It’s been pointed out before on here. Everybody was dying for us to be relevant again so we sold our soul to the devil bringing him. He sucks, he’s sucked for awhile and we need the Quaker to realize that and cut him loose

I get why he's saying what he's saying. I definitely disagree with the approach because some schools can obviously do the same while also winning games.

Plus the timing is beyond awful

The pressure is going to explode. Cal will be forced out by the fan base. It’s going to take awhile. But it’s going to happen. When UK starts losing money it will happen.
Next year is the last. Likely no player who plays minutes will return from this team. And I don't care how many stars are by the Freshmen classes name. Not winning with all Freshman starters.
Not winning with a couple G5 transfers added to that team either.
The pressure is going to explode. Cal will be forced out by the fan base. It’s going to take awhile. But it’s going to happen. When UK starts losing money it will happen.

Getting drafted is supposed to be a byproduct of winning big games at this level. How many pros were on the 1996 roster. They didn't have any issue come draft time

No, he flat out told us that winning titles would be the by-product of guys getting drafted. Remember? Drag us over the finish line?

Cal has NEVER lied to us about his intentions here. I’ve said it for years. We, as fans, have just chosen to make excuses for he and his outlandish quotes and never take him at face value. It’s been a defense-mechanism for many.

Below are some of the classics translated:

Cal: “I can’t hide you here”
Fans interpretation: “he’s not going to take it easy on anyone. If you don’t perform, you’ll sit the bench”
Truth: You will play no matter what. That’s my promise if you commit, I will continue to play you through all of your mistakes, no matter what or how many. So if you continue to play poorly you’ll get exposed.

Cal: “I don’t promise anyone playing time”
Fans interpretation: “you have to earn your time here. This is Kentucky and nothing is given, it’s earned”
Truth: The top recruits are 100% guaranteed playing time and given the longest of leashes. This again is his promise in order to get top recruits. Notice his penchant for continuing to play guys that clearly got outplayed by lower-ranked players behind them, even if to the detriment of the team.

Cal: “If they want to go pro, I’m not going to hold them back”
Fans interpretation: “he’s looking out for the kids. This is going to help recruiting because other kids will see that he’s not going to hold them back”
Truth: This aligns perfectly with Cal’s promise to “change lives” and get kids out of generational poverty. It also makes room for next batch of recruits.

There are MANY many more I just don’t feel like typing them out. Maybe @Gromcat remembers a few classic lines.

No, he flat out told us that winning titles would be the by-product of guys getting drafted. Remember? Drag us over the finish line?

Cal has NEVER lied to us about his intentions here. I’ve said it for years. We, as fans, have just chosen to make excuses for he and his outlandish quotes and never take him at face value. It’s been a defense-mechanism for many.

Below are some of the classics translated:

Cal: “I can’t hide you here”
Fans interpretation: “he’s not going to take it easy on anyone. If you don’t perform, you’ll sit the bench”
Truth: You will play no matter what. That’s my promise if you commit, I will continue to play you through all of your mistakes, no matter what or how many. So if you continue to play poorly you’ll get exposed.

Cal: “I don’t promise anyone playing time”
Fans interpretation: “you have to earn your time here. This is Kentucky and nothing is given, it’s earned”
Truth: The top recruits are 100% guaranteed playing time and given the longest of leashes. This again is his promise in order to get top recruits. Notice his penchant for continuing to play guys that clearly got outplayed by lower-ranked players behind them, even if to the detriment of the team.

Cal: “If they want to go pro, I’m not going to hold them back”
Fans interpretation: “he’s looking out for the kids. This is going to help recruiting because other kids will see that he’s not going to hold them back”
Truth: This aligns perfectly with Cal’s promise to “change lives” and get kids out of generational poverty. It also makes room for next batch of recruits.

There are MANY many more I just don’t feel like typing them out. Maybe @Gromcat remembers a few classic lines.
He said all of the above this is true. But he also said what we discussed earlier about being here for kids getting to achieve their dreams and he wasn’t worried about winning titles. I don’t have a specific time or date but I know it was said. Nobody really ran with it at the time because we had just come off a few great years and we were all drunk. His problem has developed to where he’s now not even playing the players that can win a title instead he’s showcasing guys so they can improve their draft stock. It all boils down to this; we are Kentucky. We are about titles. Always have been, always will be. If that’s not gonna be his philosophy then we need to part company. Hell give me a team of hungry 4 year players who will work their ass off to win. It’s better than what we are seeing now.

He should resign and work for UNICEF...but he won't because the selfish prick is all about the $...

Always makes sure the press is around to pump up his tiny ego when he's done anything...those kind of things are supposed to be done in quiet, not broadcasted and trumpeted from one end of the state to the other.

If he wants to impress everyone, donate the remaining of his salary to the poverty stricken in this state...Lord knows he can live off of the interest from what he's swindled so far from the university.

Cal could always carry Jimmy Carter's torch and take over the habitat for humanity...Jimmy was highly successful at that and needs another standard bearer....

- John Calipari
This right here should be a fireable offense.

- John Calipari

My dream is to be good again. I know that's hard.

Cal should've been sat down early in his tenure when he was spewing this garbage and explained in no uncertain terms that he gets paid to win basketball games and win championships, not to "further our players' dreams or cure generational poverty."

I put a lot of blame on Mitch for allowing this mentality to fester.

Cal should've been sat down early in his tenure when he was spewing this garbage and explained in no uncertain terms that he gets paid to win basketball games and win championships, not to "further our players' dreams or cure generational poverty."

And not all these kids come from impoverished backgrounds at all. Sure you have horrifically sad stories like Bledsoe. But many of these kids come from firmly middle class backgrounds with two parent households etc.

And that's all the man meant by the comment.
It's more than win titles. It's help kids aswell. It's just our crazy fans can't interpret things that aren't drawn out for them. Not everyone speaks exactly like you and sometimes what you believe isn't what's meant.
Anyway, that was years ago and I'm over this crap we have now

Reactions: ABlockalypseBrow

Mitch so afraid to lose a guy that he’d rather lose the identity of Kentucky Basketball. That’s what has happened here. We are well on our way to being the next Indiana as long as he’s here. The nuthuggers have already accepted mediocrity. None of this will change til we get new leadership at AD.

You do know the quickest way to make this happen? If you don't show up, it will become obvious. Can this fan base who adores Kentucky Basketball do this for the interest of all UK fans? For what you pay, it would be very tough to turn the other way and keep investing.

ADVERTISEMENT