ADVERTISEMENT

"Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

- John Calipari
This man is sick and twisted (SAT). He says his mission is bigger than winning titles which would suggest winning titles is a given ... guaranteed, as he plows forward beyond the titles, to achieve his greater mission. The problem I see with that is he forgets to win the titles. Here's a thought ... he knows that he can't coach and uses this OAD crap as cover while selling UK and BBN this hopium. I hope people begin to see Calipari for who and what he is. For all of us, the longer BBN puts up with this SAT pinhead, the more it becomes our fault. Nice work Gus for continuing to remind us of who this man really is. Just for added clarity on this subject ... read the signature line just below my post. A quote from Calipari himself taken from his book that no one bought.

Last edited:
And that's all the man meant by the comment.
It's more than win titles. It's help kids aswell. It's just our crazy fans can't interpret things that aren't drawn out for them. Not everyone speaks exactly like you and sometimes what you believe isn't what's meant.
Anyway, that was years ago and I'm over this crap we have now
Whatever Ellen.

Mitch so afraid to lose a guy that he’d rather lose the identity of Kentucky Basketball. That’s what has happened here. We are well on our way to being the next Indiana as long as he’s here. The nuthuggers have already accepted mediocrity. None of this will change til we get new leadership at AD.
Exactly ... Mitch needs to move on. I've not always felt this way about him, but things have changed.

You do know the quickest way to make this happen? If you don't show up, it will become obvious. Can this fan base who adores Kentucky Basketball do this for the interest of all UK fans? For what you pay, it would be very tough to turn the other way and keep investing.
It would be a shame to hurt the players just to get the coach and administration's attention. Though, you are likely right.

"Last year we started the season with a goal," Calipari said. "You may think it was to win a national title or win all the games, [but] it was to get eight players drafted. Well, how can you be about your team if you're worried about getting players drafted? We kind of work it the other way. What are your dreams? What are you looking for? What are you trying to get out of life? How can we help you with that?

"For me, the mission for me is to be a vehicle to help others reach their dreams, to be the stone that creates the ripple in their lives that goes on and on and on. Now in our state, they want my mission to be, 'win national titles, win national titles.' My mission is bigger than that."

- John Calipari
He told us this in 2010 and we kept drinking the Cal/aid. “Draft day”

This man is sick and twisted (SAT). He says his mission is bigger than winning titles which would suggest winning titles is a given ...

Cal is obviously not sick. He does not meet any definition of the word twisted that I know of. Cal is an ideologue.

Cal is making sophisticated excuses in this quote. That is not sick or twisted. He is hardly the only coach to do this. Bruce Pearl and Bill Self are gifted excuse makers. In Cal's case, you can see how the excuse making mindset evolved. Cal could not translate his recruiting success at Memphis into postseason success. He got tagged for Derrick Lowe's fraudulent admission test score. Whether Cal was personally involved or not, the NCAA cleared him personally for lack of evidence but forced Memphis to vacate wins in games where Lowe played. This tainted Cal, but he put lots of players in the NBA. Then Cal got the Kentucky job and kept recruiting at the highest level. He finally won a championship with AD and got voted into the HOF. That was personal vindication for Cal.

The SEC has improved, because more schools like Auburn and Arkansas are mimicking Kentucky. Cal has not made an effort to change his basketball philosophy with the times, but he still recruits at the highest level. It has become easier for Cal to put players in the NBA than for his team to be successful in the postseason.

Now come the excuses.

Football has new facilities. Basketball should have new facilities right away too, because we are a basketball school. (Translation, because Cal says so and needs a ready excuse.)

After St. Peter's beat us, this was Cal's excuse. "My whole thing this week, because I knew they had never played in this stuff, was to get them free and loose and we never got to that point. Even during timeouts, I was trying to do that." (Translation, I coached them, but they did not respond in the moment.)

Cal tweeted this on Nov. 1. "BBN, let me talk about this team a little bit and be direct with you. I like the pieces. We've got the player of the year, we've got another first team all conference player, we've got good younh guys, but let me explain to you - and you know I'm honest about stuff - we're not where we need to be right now." We then blow the Michigan State game by not defending inbounds plays, and get blown out at Gonzaga. Cal turned out to be right, but the media has not asked why Cal's team has so many breakdowns in standard situations.

Then, Cal tweets this. "Now in our state, they want my mission to be, win national titles. But my mission is bigger than that." (Translation, my goal is not as hard as that.)

Cal is cloaking himself as a social engineer. Using the reputation and resources of UK, he has made his team into a small army of social workers. This is not sick or twisted. In a very narrow sense, it may be noble. And if UK was a Catholic school (Cal is a proud Catholic) or a northeastern or west coast school, it might even be a fit.

But if Cal actually believes UK is a "basketball school", then he better cut the excuses and get back to the shared goal of winning national championships. He has the coaching staff and facilities for it. He is being paid well for it. He has the roster for it. He is at the right school for it. What is missing is for Cal to buy in and get himself focused on winning the prize.

Last edited:
A quote from seven years ago? More times than not, if you have eight players go in the draft then you are getting to a final four so it goes hand in hand.
As far as Calipari interviews, some people need to quit hanging on every word, you will go crazy. Breaking down every quote from Pitino and Tubby and you would have gotten the same spiel.

• Haha
Reactions: kyjeff1
Cal is obviously not sick. He does not meet any definition of the word twisted that I know of. Cal is an ideologue.

Cal is making sophisticated excuses in this quote. That is not sick or twisted. He is hardly the only coach to do this. Bruce Pearl and Bill Self are gifted excuse makers. In Cal's case, you can see how the excuse making mindset evolved. Cal could not translate his recruiting success at Memphis into postseason success. He got tagged for Derrick Lowe's fraudulent admission test score. Whether Cal was personally involved or not, the NCAA cleared him personally for lack of evidence but forced Memphis to vacate wins in games where Lowe played. This tainted Cal, but he put lots of players in the NBA. Then Cal got the Kentucky job and kept recruiting at the highest level. He finally won a championship with AD and got voted into the HOF. That was personal vindication for Cal.

The SEC has improved, because more schools like Auburn and Arkansas are mimicking Kentucky. Cal has not made an effort to change his basketball philosophy with the times, but he still recruits at the highest level. It has become easier for Cal to put players in the NBA than for his team to be successful in the postseason.

Now come the excuses.

Football has new facilities. Basketball should have new facilities right away too, because we are a basketball school. (Translation, because Cal says so and needs a ready excuse.)

After St. Peter's beat us, this was Cal's excuse. "My whole thing this week, because I knew they had never played in this stuff, was to get them free and loose and we never got to that point. Even during timeouts, I was trying to do that." (Translation, I coached them, but they did not respond in the moment.)

Cal tweeted this on Nov. 1. "BBN, let me talk about this team a little bit and be direct with you. I like the pieces. We've got the player of the year, we've got another first team all conference player, we've got good younh guys, but let me explain to you - and you know I'm honest about stuff - we're not where we need to be right now." We then blow the Michigan State game by not defending inbounds plays, and get blown out at Gonzaga. Cal turned out to be right, but the media has not asked why Cal's team has so many breakdowns in standard situations.

Then, Cal tweets this. "Now in our state, they want my mission to be, win national titles. But my mission is bigger than that." (Translation, my goal is not as hard as that.)

Cal is cloaking himself as a social engineer. Using the reputation and resources of UK, he has made his team into a small army of social workers. This is not sick or twisted. In a very narrow sense, it may be noble. And if UK was a Catholic school (Cal is a proud Catholic) or a northeastern or west coast school, it might even be a fit.

But if Cal actually believes UK is a "basketball school", then he better cut the excuses and get back to the shared goal of winning national championships. He has the coaching staff and facilities for it. He is being paid well for it. He has the roster for it. He is at the right school for it. What is missing is for Cal to buy in and get himself focused on winning the prize.
All that said, what's "obvious" is ... that he's bastardized the program turning it into his twisted social experiment to "end generational poverty" that feeds his narcissism. He's paid to win games, not engineer the shortest path to the NBA. He's a classic narcissist who believes it's his vision of all things should prevail above all alternate opinions and apparently written contract as well. He's paid to win basketball games and be a good steward for the program. He believes his mission is greater than that ... as he fails to do the job he was/is being paid to do. Call him whatever you want. I'll call him Sick and Twisted because it best suits him with regard to the attitude he takes toward the State, University, Program and BBN. Sick and Twisted is a label not a clinical diagnosis, and it's a label that does its job of accurately describing the man relative to his "vision" of his self-imposed altruistic purpose while hi-jacking the UK platform to conduct his malfeasance.

Last edited:
All that said, he's bastardized the program turning it into his twisted social experiment to "end generational poverty" that feeds his narcissism. He's paid to win games, not engineer the shortest path to the NBA. He's a classic narcissist who believes it's his vision of all things should prevail above all alternate opinions and apparently written contract as well. He's paid to win basketball games and be a good steward for the program. He believes his mission is greater than that ... as he fails to do the job he was/is being paid to do. Call him whatever you want. I'll call him Sick and Twisted because it best suits him with regard to the attitude he takes toward the State, University, Program and BBN. Sick and Twisted is a label not a clinical diagnosis, and it's a label that does its job of accurately describing the man relative to his "vision" of his self-imposed altruistic purpose while hi-jacking the UK platform to conduct his malfeasance.
Great.

Look if Kentucky reached out to Scott drew and he was interested you fire John Calipari after this season if they don't do well.
Scott drew is a better Coach and probably be just as good a recruiter at Kentucky. He gets good recruits .

#1 on my list. Continuality with this guy. Offer him 50 million for 5 years.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Thanks for helping us keep this at the top of the page Mr. Crawfords Corner, you're a great benefit to have.

Wanting to win in College games, and make it to the NBA are 2 different ideas.

I hope we can find some median area where both ideas can exist together.

Reactions: IIIBradIII
A quote from seven years ago? More times than not, if you have eight players go in the draft then you are getting to a final four so it goes hand in hand.
As far as Calipari interviews, some people need to quit hanging on every word, you will go crazy. Breaking down every quote from Pitino and Tubby and you would have gotten the same spiel.
Yeah, how dare people actually listen to the words Cal says. I mean, the guy is so full of ish, we should know better.

Well with Tubby you never knew what he was tryin to say. He'd start out about "Well Jules come in tonight.. and he gonna have to .... I thought Keith was solid in some areas but again it goes back to what David Hobbs was telling the guys at shoot around and Gerald got rebounds and Sauls taking pressure off every and we find ways to claw.
Thanks Tom and Thanks for coming out and be safe driving home BBN nation". 😂 😂 That's how Tubby sounded in interviews. Never finished or knew where he was going with anything lol.

Now Pitino was good on that mic as a motivator and could talk that shit and used it to press buttons and with fans and players alike. Hell I'd put faith and have confidence in his words while he was at UK but Pitino was a coach who wanted to win and kick ass and done so with out excuses. Sometimes he would bullshit just to motivate guys, other times he would tell it like it was but we wasn't getting beat consecutive games many times. Cal can say it 7 yrs ago but his prob is he still says it to an extent or rephrase a lil bit because he don't feel like he needs to change much obviously. I mean he changed some shit up lately but deep down his thinking is just not as much changed as I feel like alot of ppl thought it was gonna be. It may. I could be wrong and he could have this shit rolling soon and I wouldn't be surprised at all. But if we can pretend UK is a college where he ac coach college and players go to college and keep fans together and behind the team then things could still end up nice.. real nice!

Bump.

- John Calipari

Bump.

- John Calipari
Why UK and not Memphis? Why UK and not UMass? Why Kentucky? Why did he wait til a Program like Kentucky to implement OAD? Why continue this when it is obviously NOT successful nor sustainable? Could it be he's a sick and twisted narcissist who "needs" to believe he's relevant beyond his coaching failures?

Why UK and not Memphis? Why UK and not UMass? Why Kentucky? Why did he wait til a Program like Kentucky to implement OAD? Why continue this when it is obviously NOT successful nor sustainable? Could it be he's a sick and twisted narcissist who "needs" to believe he's relevant beyond his coaching failures?
UK gave him the stage to pull it off.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT