ADVERTISEMENT

New AP #15

A few nitpicks:

Auburn rose 6 spots for beating us at home? We only rose 2 spots after beating ranked TT on the road.

Villanova and SH only drop 2 spots after losing at home to unranked teams? We dropped 5 for losing at USC after also beating Ark on the road the same week.

Will MSU ever drop out of the top 20?

Conclusion: the AP poll is whack.

A few nitpicks:

Auburn rose 6 spots for beating us at home? We only rose 2 spots after beating ranked TT on the road.

Villanova and SH only drop 2 spots after losing at home to unranked teams? We dropped 5 for losing at USC after also beating Ark on the road the same week.

Conclusion, you don't know what you are talking about. Every point you made has to do what the teams did around them. Why didn't we move up more when we beat TT on the road? Because not many teams in front of us lost. Why did Auburn move up 6? Because of all the teams that lost in front of them Saturday, some at home to unranked teams as you mentioned. Listening to our fans complain about bias in EVERYTHING when its not really there gets old.

Others ahead of us losing helped us to only drop 2. But, I agree, AP is whack.

This year is wide open, so rankings don't matter as much as they have. We need to win all but 2 of our upcoming games and win 2-3 in the SECT and we'll be ok.

As usual, the most important factor in post-season is our region. Second most is which ref crew we get.

Reactions: EliteBlue
A few nitpicks:

I think so much of it has to do with what other teams do that specific week. So hard to compare week to week. When more than half of the Top 25 loses, more than any other week this year, there aren't going to be drastic drops.

A few nitpicks:

And TT and Auburn were both favored.

Reactions: CatOfDaVille
A few nitpicks:

Yeah Auburn jumping up that high is kind of comical. Same team that lost to Bama and Florida by a combined 41 points just 2 weeks ago.

I am really frustrated with the love for Seton Hall. Same record as UK and they have no wins as good as UK’s win over UL, and they just lost at home by 12 to a bad Xavier team. At least Nova’s loss was to a red hot Creighton, but they are still a bit overrated IMO.

Yeah Auburn jumping up that high is kind of comical. Same team that lost to Bama and Florida by a combined 41 points just 2 weeks ago.

I am really frustrated with the love for Seton Hall. Same record as UK and they have no wins as good as UK’s win over UL, and they just lost at home by 12 to a bad Xavier team. At least Nova’s loss was to a red hot Creighton, but they are still a bit overrated IMO.
Eastern media love them some Big East.

Has any other ranked team, faced 3 consecutive Saturdays on the road again insane crowds (Arkansas, Texas Tech and Auburn). The answer is no. This part of the schedule has been brutal for UK, with a dreaded trip to UT this Saturday, did the SEC office make out this schedule, kinda stinks for the Rupp fans.

Conclusion, you don't know what you are talking about. Every point you made has to do what the teams did around them. Why didn't we move up more when we beat TT on the road? Because not many teams in front of us lost. Why did Auburn move up 6? Because of all the teams that lost in front of them Saturday, some at home to unranked teams as you mentioned. Listening to our fans complain about bias in EVERYTHING when its not really there gets old.
An easy fix, just don’t visit the message boards.

We lost to Evansville and Utah.... No it doesn't matter, but they are going to hammer us for that for the entire year!!!!! I am telling you, lets say that in the seed listing 1-68, that we are 14, we are dropping to the 16-18 line come selection Sunday all because of those two losses, especially the Evansville loss

Maybe if you just stopped reading this board, you wouldn't be so distraught?

If you think we aren't treated differently in these polls with the years of overwhelming evidence, then I don't know what to tell you. Do you really think that this poll is an accurate ranking of the top 25 teams?

Also, why don't you try disagreeing without being a douchebag about it?

Has any other ranked team, faced 3 consecutive Saturdays on the road again insane crowds (Arkansas, Texas Tech and Auburn). The answer is no. This part of the schedule has been brutal for UK, with a dreaded trip to UT this Saturday, did the SEC office make out this schedule, kinda stinks for the Rupp fans.
I said the same thing Saturday. 4 straight weekends on the road. And all four in front of extremely hostile crowd. Good for us for growth but my lands. Sucks for Rupp Arena and our fans. Cal must have thought we needed 4 straight headaches.

A few nitpicks:

I think our lack of drop and Auburn's rise had more to do with all the other top 25 teams losing Saturday than it did UK losing.

Also, this year's regular-season has been so crazy, that it won't shock me if we have another 16 beat a 1 in the tournament.

Reactions: HerrosHeroes
I think our lack of drop and Auburn's rise had more to do with all the other top 25 teams losing Saturday than it did UK losing.

I thought about that too, but it still seems like a crazy jump. I guess we have just had a knack this year of not winning crucial games when everyone else loses around us. It happened the USC week and last week.

I said the same thing Saturday. 4 straight weekends on the road. And all four in front of extremely hostile crowd. Good for us for growth but my lands. Sucks for Rupp Arena and our fans. Cal must have thought we needed 4 straight headaches.
Cal doesn't have much to say about the SEC schedule......

Others ahead of us losing helped us to only drop 2. But, I agree, AP is whack.

This year is wide open, so rankings don't matter as much as they have. We need to win all but 2 of our upcoming games and win 2-3 in the SECT and we'll be ok.

As usual, the most important factor in post-season is our region. Second most is which ref crew we get.

This year is not as wide open as most think. The cream is rising to the top. I think the title is going to be won by a team in the Kenpom top 10. Coincidentally the AP top 10 is very similar.

Out of curiosity, I took a look at some other teams. Kansas has a tough stretch at the end of the season. 3 straight Saturdays @Baylor, @Kansas State and @Texas Tech. That's a brutal stretch.

This year is not as wide open as most think. The cream is rising to the top. I think the title is going to be won by a team in the Kenpom top 10. Coincidentally the AP top 10 is very similar.

You assume that both rankings are fair and independent. Did it ever occur to you that the AP top 10 looks a lot like the the Kenpom top 10 because idiot writers don't watch many games and look at computer rankings to fill out their polls?

You assume that both rankings are fair and independent. Did it ever occur to you that the AP top 10 looks a lot like the the Kenpom top 10 because idiot writers don't watch many games and look at computer rankings to fill out their polls?

I don't add a conspiracies that don't exist to my world. Life is hard enough. Kenpom is statistical so no bias. You can argue the weighting or variables it uses are flawed, but those would be applied consistently. So, even if the AP voters were not doing their jobs and just copy/pasting Kenpom, my point remains. The title is likely to come from the Kenpom top 10.

If you think we aren't treated differently in these polls with the years of overwhelming evidence, then I don't know what to tell you. Do you really think that this poll is an accurate ranking of the top 25 teams?

Also, why don't you try disagreeing without being a douchebag about it?
My bad bud, I didnt mean to come off like I did.

I don't add a conspiracies that don't exist to my world. Life is hard enough. Kenpom is statistical so no bias. You can argue the weighting or variables it uses are flawed, but those would be applied consistently. So, even if the AP voters were not doing their jobs and just copy/pasting Kenpom, my point remains. The title is likely to come from the Kenpom top 10.

UK usually has a high Kenpom ranking going into the NCAA tournament, much higher than its AP ranking and often belied by its seed. That’s why no one wants to see UK in their region.

UK usually has a high Kenpom ranking going into the NCAA tournament, much higher than its AP ranking and often belied by its seed. That’s why no one wants to see UK in their region.

Kentucky's Kenpom rating being so low at 36 doesn't seem to match how Kentucky plays (the eye test).

Kentucky's Kenpom rating being so low at 36 doesn't seem to match how Kentucky plays (the eye test).

It’s cause we haven’t beaten teams by as much as we should.

although I just feel if we could avoid foul trouble and actually keep our best guys on the court, that could change very rapidly.

there’s just a drop off. If nick has to sit long periods if Ashton has to sit It’s hard to win much less win by how much we should be

Kansas sucks. Those convicts should be 13-8. Outplayed again & still win because the big 12 refs favor. Texas Tech, even with 8 losses - though would be only 7 without the gang raping by the Cheathawks & the refs, are ranked #26. The big 12 as a whole is vastly over-rated again.

A few nitpicks:

• WVU loses @ HOME to 8-12 K-State and drops TWO spots in AP poll
  • Seton Hall loses @ HOME to 12-8 Xavier and drops TWO spots in AP poll
  • UK loses on ROAD to 18-2 Auburn and drops TWO spots in AP poll

A few nitpicks:

MSU will probably have 10 losses and still be ranked because the media thinks the Big 10 is all that this year. Every season there is a conference that is rewarded for losing to other teams in their conference because they consider all the teams really good. So you will end up seeing a bunch of teams from there with like 10 losses as 2-5 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

It sucks that every time we get a chance to make a big jump in the polls, we just happen to have a game like that Auburn one. The voters just look for a reason to drop us like a rock and then it takes us probably a month of winning to get back where we were.

Last year we lost to Seton Hall at a neutral site (basically a home game for them) and dropped from 9 to 19. Then over the next 3 weeks we beat Utah, UNC, and UL and only get back up to 13. We then have a 2 point loss on the road to Alabama and we drop almost all the way right back where we were (18).

They just seem to look for a reason to drop us further than most other teams. We've seen Duke move up or not change after a close loss. Heck when they lost 2 in a row a handful of weeks after losing to Stephen F. Austin they only dropped from 3 to 8. In basically the same scenario, we lost 2 in a row a few weeks after losing to Evansville and we plummet from 6 to 19.

They just don't punish certain teams from certain conferences the same as others from different ones.

MSU will probably have 10 losses and still be ranked because the media thinks the Big 10 is all that this year. Every season there is a conference that is rewarded for losing to other teams in their conference because they consider all the teams really good. So you will end up seeing a bunch of teams from there with like 10 losses as 2-5 seeds in the NCAA Tournament.

It sucks that every time we get a chance to make a big jump in the polls, we just happen to have a game like that Auburn one. The voters just look for a reason to drop us like a rock and then it takes us probably a month of winning to get back where we were.

Last year we lost to Seton Hall at a neutral site (basically a home game for them) and dropped from 9 to 19. Then over the next 3 weeks we beat Utah, UNC, and UL and only get back up to 13. We then have a 2 point loss on the road to Alabama and we drop almost all the way right back where we were (18).

They just seem to look for a reason to drop us further than most other teams. We've seen Duke move up or not change after a close loss. Heck when they lost 2 in a row a handful of weeks after losing to Stephen F. Austin they only dropped from 3 to 8. In basically the same scenario, we lost 2 in a row a few weeks after losing to Evansville and we plummet from 6 to 19.

They just don't punish certain teams from certain conferences the same as others from different ones.

Excellent post. I'm not a conspiracy guy, but I will go where the evidence leads, and all of the evidence points to a bias. Whether it's against UK or just Cal, I'm not sure, but it's there.

Has to be the weakest top 10 I can remember.
I believe Dayton is as good as anyone in the country.
Baylor plays hard but I just don't see them being there at the end. Weak Gonzaga team, weak Duke team. It truly is wide open

The history of the world is all conspiracy. You're delusional if you don't think those in power don't conspire to stay in power. Just because you wear blinkers doesn't mean the rest of us do.

Agree. I’m guessing that 3 of the final four will be 1 seeds depending on the seeding of SDSU. Don’t see them in the last four standing. If they’re a 1, Duke will be their two.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT