ADVERTISEMENT

Nice to see it confirmed: Kentucky No. 1 all-time says AP

Honestly, I believe this should be how one gauges a "blue blood" vs. the rest of the pack. Top 5 clearly fall into the basketball blue blood category. The rest are not, and there's a huge drop in points from #5 to #6 to further support my belief.

Indiana coming out as #8....well, Bloomington is already planning a huge campus party and banner hanging event, I'm sure.

As determined by the Associated Press.

UNC-Cheats is #2, also known as Number One loser.
A sure way to know if somebody knows Jack-squat about collegiate basketball, ask them who is the #1 team all time. Posers will say UCLA, UNC, or Dook. Real fans know it is UK

Reactions: wildcatwelder
A sure way to know if somebody knows Jack-squat about collegiate basketball, ask them who is the #1 team all time. Posers will say UCLA, UNC, or Dook. Real fans know it is UK
The UCLA ones are the ones that make me go crazy. Yes, they had a historic, will never be repeated, 12-year dynasty run. But the other 90 years they've not been more than just kinda-good. Their next loss will make it 16 of past 25 years with 10+ losses, probably going to be 8 out of 25 for 14+ losses.
As for the UCLA paying players (cheating). Well none of the "big boys" (UK, UNC, UCLA, Duke, KU) have an untarnished reputation. But I think a big factor is the way the NCAA-T was run in the 60's & early 70's, such that UCLA only had to play teams from the West to reach the F4 every year, giving them an easy path to the F4. But yeah, they did still have to win those last 2 games, and did (10 out of 12 times).

I just found something I put together 12 years ago, that showed out each of the top 20 all time teams compare in many categories (wins, titles, title games, F4's, #1 seeds, 30-win seasons, winning %, NCAA-T's, NCAA-T wins, NCAA-T winning %, weeks ranked #1, years end season #1, decades w/ a F4, decades with top 10 winning %, and then about 20-30 less meaningful categories).
And to further the UCLA thing, if you look at top 10 in winning % for each decade, UCLA was #1 in 60's and 70's, #10 in 90's, and that is it. UK has been top 10 in every decade since the 30's (in order #2, #1, #1, #5, #5, #9, #2, #8, & in the 10's we were almost certain top 3).

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT