ADVERTISEMENT

NASCAR thread

Daytona - Matty D.
Final Four - Hamlin, Keselowski, Truex, Elliott
Champ - Elliott

All Harvick drivers in the Chase.
Bubba comes up just short of the Chase.

I am watching the Saints and Bucs game and NASCAR has been advertising quite a bit. Funny thing is most ads are promoting upcoming season and talking about the top guys.....and Bubba. 😂

I am watching the Saints and Bucs game and NASCAR has been advertising quite a bit. Funny thing is most ads are promoting upcoming season and talking about the top guys.....and Bubba. 😂

I saw one ad with Bubba, along with Chase, Harvick, and Denny. But by all means, pick and choose.

ETA, Bubba’s team is owned by the GOAT.

I saw 2 or 3 different ones and they showed them multiple times during the game. Bubba's car is owned by a former basketball player not a racer so why does that earn Bubba the opportunity to be considered a top team like Elliott, Harvick or Denny when they leave out actual champions like Kesolowski and Truex in a promotional ad.

I saw 2 or 3 different ones and they showed them multiple times during the game. Bubba's car is owned by a former basketball player not a racer so why does that earn Bubba the opportunity to be considered a top team like Elliott, Harvick or Denny when they leave out actual champions like Kesolowski and Truex in a promotional ad.
With all due respect, and I'm saying with all due respect. You're either stupid or playing stupid if you don't understand why they are promoting the driver of a brand new team that is co-owned by one of the biggest names in the world.

The fact that Bobby Labonte has a championship is never not surprising.

Between Kyle, Martin, and Brad, you have to think one of them will get a Daytona win in the next few years.

With all due respect, and I'm saying with all due respect. You're either stupid or playing stupid if you don't understand why they are promoting the driver of a brand new team that is co-owned by one of the biggest names in the world.

Hey Matt Jones Jr saying "with all due respect" doesn't make calling someone stupid any less of a slam. I know exactly why they are and it has nothing to do with his driving ability or any on track success. It's about NASCAR trying to make it about being woke like everyone else.

Reactions: ekywildcat
Hey Matt Jones Jr saying "with all due respect" doesn't make calling someone stupid any less of a slam. I know exactly why they are and it has nothing to do with his driving ability or any on track success. It's about NASCAR trying to make it about being woke like everyone else.
Actually, I was going more for Rick Bobby than Matt jones.

I won't say it has nothing to do with the events of last year. But, don't act like part of it has nothing to do with Michael freaking Jordan being a co-owner of a brand new team. It's been a while NASCAR has had a brand new team that wasn't going to be a start and park.

Actually, I was going more for Rick Bobby than Matt jones.

I won't say it has nothing to do with the events of last year. But, don't act like part of it has nothing to do with Michael freaking Jordan being a co-owner of a brand new team. It's been a while NASCAR has had a brand new team that wasn't going to be a start and park.

It definitely had started back before he left Petty and I am sure the fact that one of the owners is also black also plays a huge role in it. However, Pit Bull just became an co-owner of a team with Daniel Suarez, who is a better driver than Bubba, driving his car but you don't see ESPN and NASCAR promoting his team like that. I mean they are a minority owned team with a driver who is a minority with better results and nothing from ESPN or NASCAR. I get you want to reach a certain segment of people but pushing him like he is going to be a contender when he has done nothing on the track to make anyone think that is possible is only going to lead to those people being highly disappointed when they join in to watch him finish 23rd (his career average finish) or worse most of the time.

Last edited:
It had already started back before he left Petty and I am sure the fact that one of the owners is also black also plays a huge role in it. I mean Pit Bull just became an co-owner of a team with Daniel Suarez, who is a better driver, driving his car but you don't see ESPN and NASCAR promoting his team like that. I get you want to reach a certain segment of people but pushing him like he is going to be a contender when he has done nothing on the track to make anyone think that is possible with a start up team is only going to lead to those people being highly disappointed when they join in to watch him finish 23rd (his career average finish) or worse most of the time.

I mean, I won't completely disagree with you. NASCAR is no doubt trying to use the events of last year to try and grow their fan base. There is no denying that.

But, I think it would still be promoted just as much if we hadn't had the year we did last year. And I think regardless of that, it's about Jordan being a massive name before it is about him being a black man.

I mean, I won't completely disagree with you. NASCAR is no doubt trying to use the events of last year to try and grow their fan base. There is no denying that.

But, I think it would still be promoted just as much if we hadn't had the year we did last year. And I think regardless of that, it's about Jordan being a massive name before it is about him being a black man.

To be fair he has done a crappy job running a team of a sport he does know. Why would anyone think he will be able to run a NASCAR team?

I'll certainly be watching all the Speedweeks races cause I love this time of the year. But, I definitely do not get as excited as I used to. All that left when Jr retired. I've tried to latch onto another driver, but it's just not the same. I do miss that feeling I used to get as a kid, though. I never missed it if cars were on track and it was televised.

Also, this will be the 20th anniversary since we lost Dale Earnhardt. I read an article that then prompted me to start watching/listening to the 2001 Daytona 500. It was the first race with the big time TV deal NASCAR got. For that reason, all the media guys were hyping this one up. Talking about how excited they were and that this one will be the best 500 in a long time. Dale himself did a Pre-race interview where he said we'd "See something we never saw before". Pretty eerie stuff and sad knowing they have no idea what is about to happen.

Reactions: Creed Bratton
Sounds like the last lap was wild last night. Will Kyle get his first 500 this year?

Yeah the most meaningless thing in racing is practice speeds on a restrictor plate track. There are so many variables like were they drafting, catching a pack, etc. It isn't nearly as indicative of how good a car is.

It showed he has speed, so he’s likely to be near the front in the duels and maybe on the pole. Staying out front is a big thing, obviously, to keep away from danger as much as possible. Make it to the end on the lead lap and have your shot. NASCAR is floundering, unfortunately, and him being in a good car and being able to drive it well is important to the sport whether you like him or not.

Excited to see the 5 back out there. Think Elliott may be slowest Hendrick

1971 the pace car at Daytona 500 was an orange Porsche 914, the only time a foreign car was used.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT