ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell out against the Zags

I don't think Tre should be playing 35+ minutes per game, but we ain't doing crap in the tournament without him healthy and playing.

He is experienced, not afraid of contact, and is an excellent shooter and passer at the 4. We need him, period.

It will, however, be a nice hidden blessing getting Z/Burks/Edwards more run at the 4 while he is healing. Can be a difference maker for us to have some additional options there.

If that is the case...good! Give me Z and Burks at the 4, Ugo and Bradshaw at the 5.

Mitchell, when he does return, should play no more then 5-10 min.

All he has is the ability to hit pick and pop 3s. If he isn't hitting, he provides nothing of value. He sucks defensively, lacks physicality, and is constantly slow/late on help.

Pop Tv Wow GIF by One Day At A Time

You must be very young ? Mitchell has helped this team more this year than any transfer we have had in some time. Reeds also.
But Mitchell has struggled over the last three games he played, two of which were losses that he really hurt us in both offensively and defensively. Maybe he is worn down.

Over his last 3: 5 pts & 8 rebounds per game on 22% shooting

5-23 fg 22%
3-13 3pt 23%
2-5 free throws 40% (including missing crucial front end of 1 & 1 in OT loss)
5 pts per game
8 rebounds per game

But Mitchell has struggled over the last three games he played, two of which were losses that he really hurt us in both offensively and defensively. Maybe he is worn down.

5-23 fg 22%
3-13 3pt 23%
5 pts per game
8 rebounds per game
Playing through back pain can do that to a player. We definitely need Mitchell, can't believe some are being so hard on him after all he has given us this year.

Not in the slightest. Mitchell has one thing he can do...pick and pop from 3. He does nothing else, at all. His screens suck, he is slow, he is out of position, is late constantly on defense, and has no physicality.

Give me Z and Burks for the rest of the year at the 4. They both have more untapped talent then Mitchell, a fifth yr player could ever have. UK reaches their potential with Z and Burks getting minutes, not with Tre.
He has the best low post moves on the team. That ain’t nothing. In games when guys aren’t hitting from outside, he gives us a consistent scoring option.

If that is the case...good! Give me Z and Burks at the 4, Ugo and Bradshaw at the 5.

All he has is the ability to hit pick and pop 3s. If he isn't hitting, he provides nothing of value. He sucks defensively, lacks physicality, and is constantly slow/late on help.
Harsh

Not in the slightest. Mitchell has one thing he can do...pick and pop from 3. He does nothing else, at all. His screens suck, he is slow, he is out of position, is late constantly on defense, and has no physicality.

Give me Z and Burks for the rest of the year at the 4. They both have more untapped talent then Mitchell, a fifth yr player could ever have. UK reaches their potential with Z and Burks getting minutes, not with Tre.
UK fan base in a nutshell. Mitchell has one bad game and he’s a dog. Burks and Z have one good game versus a do do Vandy team and they are god.

This is asinine. He has been one of our best players

UK fan base in a nutshell. Mitchell has one bad game and he’s a dog. Burks and Z have one good game versus a do do Vandy team and they are god.
Nah...I ain't gonna reply to all the posts about my stance on Mitchell, so yours is the lucky post.

Tre Mitchell is not a good player, he is average at best. He is the worst defender on the team, he sucks at boxing out and rebounding, he lacks any type of physicality, and is slow and lazy.

Those are the facts. He is a fifth yr player for good reason.

Z literally needs to have the majority of his minutes. Tre has half the talent of Z, and for UK to reach its potential, UK needs Z's talent to show through. It is what it is. Tre should be playing no more than 5-10 min a game.

Nah...I ain't gonna reply to all the posts about my stance on Mitchell, so yours is the lucky post.

Tre Mitchell is not a good player, he is average at best. He is the worst defender on the team, he sucks at boxing out and rebounding, he lacks any type of physicality, and is slow and lazy.

Those are the facts. He is a fifth yr player for good reason.

Z literally needs to have the majority of his minutes. Tre has half the talent of Z, and for UK to reach its potential, UK needs Z's talent to show through. It is what it is. Tre should be playing no more than 5-10 min a game.
You lost your credibility when u said Mitchell was the worst defender on the team.

Reactions: westerncat
You lost your credibility when u said Mitchell was the worst defender on the team.
I couldn't care less what you think about my credibility. Means jack to me. And yes, Mitchell is the worst defender on the team.

You take Mitchell getting the minutes, I take Z...everyone in BBN will see how it plays out by years end.

Reactions: RunninRichie

5-23 fg 22%
3-13 3pt 23%
5 pts per game
8 rebounds per game
You need to look at the whole season not just 3 games. Back problems will slow you down.

Reactions: mcwildcats04
For a Kentucky layperson, who is Mitchell, and how significant is it that he's not available to play?

Because a most of the season we played short-handed in paint (7 games 0 bigs, 2 games 1 big, 8 games 2 bigs, 4 games 3 bigs and Mitchell)
I will say he is good for more than pic&pop, he is good passer and has good post moves too, can get you a basket when need one.
But…his defense is bad and his rebounding is not good.
His rebounding isn't good? Yet, he is the 4th leading rebounder in the SEC. And the SEC is considered a strong conference this year.

Reactions: CatsDomain
For the record, UK's got multiple players who could make a spark.

Gonzaga's got to worry about their own defense. Much like us as well.

That's it, we are that good offensively. It's gonna take a team that can play really good defense to stop us.

• Haha
Reactions: RunninRichie
Playing through back pain can do that to a player. We definitely need Mitchell, can't believe some are being so hard on him after all he has given us this year.
Agree 100%. We need a healthy Mitchell. My point is he hasn't looked healthy the last 3 games.

I’m For a Kentucky layperson, who is Mitchell, and how significant is it that he's not available to play?
Tre Mitchell. He’s a 5th year senior stretch 4 who transferred from West Virginia. Apparently from this thread, Kentucky fans can’t agree on how impactful he is lol.

I’d say he’s a solid but unspectacular player who gives us steady veteran leadership. He’s averaging 12 points and 7.6 boards per game. I’d rather have him but we do have a lot of good players at the 4-5 so I honestly don’t think it’s a huge loss. He has the best low post moves on the team and can hit the 3, but others are better rebounders & defenders.

What's the source?
Pilgrim last night on youtube. - Tre had X-ray and MRI. Nothing broken/strained. Just very banged up back muscles.. mostly from playing so many minutes. Internal UK sources, could be back by Gonzaga, but target is next week vs Ole Miss… DJ hurt ankle back in September. Basically been trying to play through it all season. Gets a bit better, but then re-injuries it. Wearing a boot when not in games. Very swollen even as late as last weekend. Some hope internally he could get back by Gonzaga, but again kind of targeting Ole miss or the game after that (At auburn I believe)… And this aligns with what Calipari said last night, and again tonight on call in show… he expects to be full strength in 1-2 weeks….

Pilgrim last night on youtube. - Tre had X-ray and MRI. Nothing broken/strained. Just very banged up back muscles.. mostly from playing so many minutes. Internal UK sources, could be back by Gonzaga, but target is next week vs Ole Miss… DJ hurt ankle back in September. Basically been trying to play through it all season. Gets a bit better, but then re-injuries it. Wearing a boot when not in games. Very swollen even as late as last weekend. Some hope internally he could get back by Gonzaga, but again kind of targeting Ole miss or the game after that (At auburn I believe)… And this aligns with what Calipari said last night, and again tonight on call in show… he expects to be full strength in 1-2 weeks….
So basically playing another home game without Wagner probably two more. 2 of the most important games of the season coming up, they need Wagner in both of these games

Agree 100%. We need a healthy Mitchell. My point is he hasn't looked healthy the last 3 games.
But, you did focus on just the games he tried to play in while hurt. That just seemed to support other posters saying Mitchell is no good and should only play 5-10 minutes when he comes back, that he isn't a good rebounder, limited offense, etc. You played into their narrative by ignoring what he has done for us all season and just mention the 3 games. See what I mean?

As I stated yesterday I think Wagner plays against Gonzaga some. He wants to, depends on of they clear him to or not.
As I stated yesterday I think Wagner plays against Gonzaga some. He wants to, depends on of they clear him to or not.
I hope so man, they can overcome Mitchell being out. They need Wagners ability to beat his man off the dribble and defensive potential on the perimeter

But, you did focus on just the games he tried to play in while hurt. That just seemed to support other posters saying Mitchell is no good and should only play 5-10 minutes when he comes back, that he isn't a good rebounder, limited offense, etc. You played into their narrative by ignoring what he has done for us all season and just mention the 3 games. See what I mean?
Two things can be true.

1. Tre Mitchell saved us in multiple games early in the season and was one of our two most important players for a stretch. He was absolutely huge.

2. This worn down version of Tre Mitchell has not made us better over the past 3 games.

I hope he comes back healthy and rested and back to version 1 Tre Mitchell.

See what I mean?

Reactions: jrpross
No, he doesn't...the guy averages 34 min a game, has been the biggest guy on our team that was on the court since our three 7 footers have been out for a good portion of the season...and has only averaged 7 rebs a game.

You think that is good?? Give me a break.
We can’t stop people from scoring so there are not a lot of rebounds to be had.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT