ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell out against the Zags

Michell should play about 25 minutes a game when healthy. He was one our best players for many games. I agree his defense and rebounding aren’t great though.

He should be splitting minutes with Theiro and Z. Z should be splitting minutes at the 4 and 5 spots. Ideally, I'd like to see Z get up around 18-20 mpg.

If that is the case...good! Give me Z and Burks at the 4, Ugo and Bradshaw at the 5.

Mitchell, when he does return, should play no more then 5-10 min.

All he has is the ability to hit pick and pop 3s. If he isn't hitting, he provides nothing of value. He sucks defensively, lacks physicality, and is constantly slow/late on help.
We must be watching different games.

No, he doesn't...the guy averages 34 min a game, has been the biggest guy on our team that was on the court since our three 7 footers have been out for a good portion of the season...and has only averaged 7 rebs a game.

You think that is good?? Give me a break.
It's better than anyone else on the team.

So if that's not good, what does that say about the other players.

So yeah, he brings more to the team than threes.

Mitchell and Wagner are the most important players to a run in the tournament
You have one spot left to fill out your team and there’s 2 players left to choose from, Wagner or Dillingham… Who are you picking based on the available body of work…

Now tell us again how Wagner is one of the 2 most important players on this UK team?

I could use the same analogy with Mitchell and Z, or Mitchell and Thiero, your other most important player along with Wagner.

Reactions: Fox2monk
It's better than anyone else on the team.

So if that's not good, what does that say about the other players.

So yeah, he brings more to the team than threes.
Is that any type of accomplishment to brag about when Tre has literally been the biggest player on the court for UK for most of the games this year, has played the most minutes, and is in the paint far more then any other player when on defense? He could sleepwalking to 7 rebs a game by virtue of the above criteria I laid out.

There is a reason he is a fifth yr player...he sucks on the glass, he is beyond soft, and is one of the laziest players we have defensively.

Reactions: Fox2monk
You ride with Mitchell, I choose to ride with Z and Burks. There is nothing, at all, remotely special about those stats when Tre is playing as many minutes as he has.

There is not one reason he shouldn't be averaging double digit rebs with all the minutes he averages...aside from the fact that he is slow, defensively lazy, doesn't box out, and refuses to be physical.
You must be very young ? Mitchell has helped this team more this year than any transfer we have had in some time. Reeds also.

Best thing that could happen for this team to reach its potential is for Mitchell to play minimally the rest of the season.

Aside from his obvious shortcomings defensively and the other issues with his game that others have already laid out.. every minute he takes away from high upside guys like Bradshaw/Ivisic is going to actively hurt this team in the long run.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Regina Hall Popcorn GIF

The point is Mitchell brings nothing else to the table if he isn't hitting from the outside....absolutely nothing.

Give me Z and Burks at the 4 until the season ends. They will be our best bet...not Tre.
Yeah, and last night hitting 15 3's isn't going to happen most games. So get those guys in there to play

You have one spot left to fill out your team and there’s 2 players left to choose from, Wagner or Dillingham… Who are you picking based on the available body of work…

Now tell us again how Wagner is one of the 2 most important players on this UK team?

I could use the same analogy with Mitchell and Z, or Mitchell and Thiero, your other most important player along with Wagner.
Wagner is our best PG and backcourt defender. We have 3 other guards who can play off the ball.

So a dose of Thiero, Big Z and Burks at the four.
UK has 4 definite college PFs, with Mitchell, Thiero, Edwards and Burks. They're so thin at Guard that one of those guys has to play quite a bit of SF. As for Big Z, I like him better at the 5, but I'm all for playing whoever/wherever gives UK the best chance to win that particular game.

If that is the case...good! Give me Z and Burks at the 4, Ugo and Bradshaw at the 5.

Mitchell, when he does return, should play no more then 5-10 min.

All he has is the ability to hit pick and pop 3s. If he isn't hitting, he provides nothing of value. He sucks defensively, lacks physicality, and is constantly slow/late on help.
Uh, he is our only big consistently capable of scoring in the paint when needed.

Is that any type of accomplishment to brag about when Tre has literally been the biggest player on the court for UK for most of the games this year, has played the most minutes, and is in the paint far more then any other player when on defense? He could sleepwalking to 7 rebs a game by virtue of the above criteria I laid out.

There is a reason he is a fifth yr player...he sucks on the glass, he is beyond soft, and is one of the laziest players we have defensively.
if you haven't been watching the games it's alright we understand.

Mitchell & Z can both pull opposing rebounder away from the glass on our offensive end. Based on Z's durability thus far, it would be great thing to have a confident and contributing Tre' back along with everyone else.

That's crazy without him our record would be worse
Because a most of the season we played short-handed in paint (7 games 0 bigs, 2 games 1 big, 8 games 2 bigs, 4 games 3 bigs and Mitchell)
I will say he is good for more than pic&pop, he is good passer and has good post moves too, can get you a basket when need one.
But…his defense is bad and his rebounding is not good.

Because a most of the season we played short-handed in paint (7 games 0 bigs, 2 games 1 big, 8 games 2 bigs, 4 games 3 bigs and Mitchell)
I will say he is good for more than pic&pop, he is good passer and has good post moves too, can get you a basket when need one.
But…his defense is bad and his rebounding is not good.
The whole team defense is bad

Wagner is the most competitive guy on the team. If he sits against the Zags, clearly there's more going on than an ankle sprain. Does he need surgery and they just don't want to say it? Is this going to become a "protecting draft stock" debate/unspoken elephant in the room situation?

Kentucky needs to beat Gonzaga. Wagner seems like the type of kid who would find a way to get out there and play, unless he's not allowed to do so.

Reactions: Jazzycat

He far and away leads the team in rebounds per game average, he is also the leading big man in assists.

It was during the game when Edwards came out. They even showed it in slow motion replay. Hopefully it was nothing. I heard Edwards came back and got DJ so it probably was nothing.
of course it was nothing, but some on here want so badly to find anything they can think of to make our team and coach look bad
it really is pathedic that some fans (very small amount) and trolls try to constantly manufacture problems to destroy our team

Wagner is the most competitive guy on the team. If he sits against the Zags, clearly there's more going on than an ankle sprain. Does he need surgery and they just don't want to say it? Is this going to become a "protecting draft stock" debate/unspoken elephant in the room situation?

Kentucky needs to beat Gonzaga. Wagner seems like the type of kid who would find a way to get out there and play, unless he's not allowed to do so.
Wheeler was competitive too. And he couldn't shoot either.

of course it was nothing, but some on here want so badly to find anything they can think of to make our team and coach look bad
it really is pathedic that some fans (very small amount) and trolls try to constantly manufacture problems to destroy our team
There is nothing wrong with discussing it. It was on camera and it looked bad when it happened. It was explained and it's over. You're the one manufacturing outrage against fans. Maybe you should take a break if this place enrages you so.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Best thing that could happen for this team to reach its potential is for Mitchell to play minimally the rest of the season.

Aside from his obvious shortcomings defensively and the other issues with his game that others have already laid out.. every minute he takes away from high upside guys like Bradshaw/Ivisic is going to actively hurt this team in the long run.
Mitchell is better than Bradshaw without a doubt at this point

Last edited:
Reactions: westerncat
Not in the slightest. Mitchell has one thing he can do...pick and pop from 3. He does nothing else, at all. His screens suck, he is slow, he is out of position, is late constantly on defense, and has no physicality.

Give me Z and Burks for the rest of the year at the 4. They both have more untapped talent then Mitchell, a fifth yr player could ever have. UK reaches their potential with Z and Burks getting minutes, not with Tre.
I disagree on one point, he has a decent back to the basket game and will punish a team on the block when they switch a smaller man. But yeah, his defense and rebounding are not great for a 6’9 forward.

Looks like he will be out another game, Wagner could make a return Saturday but not 100% on that actually happening
That 3 games in a row he's missed! Just kidding, some announcer said he may be our most valuable player (not best) and I somewhat agree. When he is playing well it takes some of the pressure off our guards and gives us a way to better space the floor, or when we're getting pressure, our only low post threat.

We have to have him back playing well, when these teams extend their defense on our guards and take their space away, we have to be able to attack from the low post and score some or we cant advance in the tournament against good teams. They are all going to extend and pressure the ball and deny passing lanes outside and Trey has to be there for us to be aggressive and score period.

Reactions: CatsDomain
It will be hard for Z to get 20 mpg when he fouls so much.
The good thing the fouls don't really matter so much having three seven footers. Give us all the rebounds, blocks and scoring he can while he is in there. He will get better not fouling so much the more he is on the floor. Liked what Cal told him. He told him he is seven feet tall. You don't have to block the shot. Just stand straight up with your arms straight up and the shooter will have to shoot the ball as high as the top of the backboard.

Reactions: CatsDomain
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT