ADVERTISEMENT

Mitchell chokes in every close game

I thought he played terrible today too, but looking at the box score, he had 13 rebounds and 6 assists
And 8pts.
game was ours to take until Wagners turnover at end of reg. Then ref bails us out with phantom foul putting Shep at line.

The site hasn't been updated yet for this game, but evanmaya.com has his Bayesian Performance Rating as 5.59, which puts him at #74 among all D-1 players. Thiero's BPR is 1.03, good for #1387. There's a reason why he's not playing, and I suspect "general soreness" isn't it.
Cool. Now compare their box scores against real competition.

Which one was far better against KU?
Which one had the greater impact against UNC?

Also, which one will be in the NBA?

You seem like a dude that wants to defend Tre at all costs. Not sure why. But OP is right. You are wrong. And Tre Mitchell is not the star you or he himself think he is.

People praised him last game and ignored that he should have had about 10 more rebounds that he pussed out on. Dude needs to play 20ish minutes but Ugo and Bradshaw are so bad he’s forced to play more.
And now Bradshaw's bad again. LOL you are bipolar

Reactions: RunninRichie
He played 44 minutes and fought for 13 boards. Hate to think what have done wothout him.

This. Aike you are usually pretty levelheaded but this is clearly an emotional thread. The man played 44 freaking minutes, out of necessity. Bradshaw played SIX MINUTES and gave us NOTHING. Huge props from me to both Ugo and Mitchell for doing what they could in the absence of both Bradshaw AND Adou. I don’t know what some of y’all expect.

Defense wins championships. We got plenty of offense, but got to play way better defense and rebounding. Theiro plays today and I think we win.
Unfortunately, Reeves and Mitchell are what they are - abysmal defenders. This won’t change. DJ and Shep give up straight line drives and routinely don’t get out on shooters or can’t get through screens. Dudes just shoot over the top of Dilly. Don’t know how much better the defense can get.

This. Aike you are usually pretty levelheaded but this is clearly an emotional thread. The man played 44 freaking minutes, out of necessity. Bradshaw played SIX MINUTES and gave us NOTHING. Huge props from me to both Ugo and Mitchell for doing what they could in the absence of both Bradshaw AND Adou. I don’t know what some of y’all expect.
He has missed clutch free throws late in all three losses. He just has. Maybe he’s tired. Maybe he’s emotional. I am not.

Completely unacceptable from the veteran whom the other players call “grandpa.”

I sort of like his game. Good passer for sure. But he doesn’t shoot well enough from deep to take as many shots as he does - and with each game the numbers reflect that.

His defense was again awful today too.

He's money from the top of the key, or at least be was all summer and early in the year. He struggles from corner 3's, but he keeps shooting em anyway.

He just had a point blank and 1 where he missed the put back and one free throw we got one point. Then he threw it out of bounds.

That was the final margin.

He’s a good middle of the game player, but he 100% has been choking in the clutch.

But it’s ok. If you guys like 4 seeds and hanging banners for Sweet 16s, counting on guys like Mitchell down the stretch will get you there.
The lack of defense by the whole damn team will be the demise of them in the tournament, just like it was in this game.
I just can’t blame one player for choking while the whole team just let someone score damn near twice as many points as they did their previous game!

Reactions: gharding07
I like him but his passive demeanor troubles me. Different personality I guess but I’d like to see a little more urgency.

That said, A&M was coming in waves on the boards and Tre was stuck without being able to get a breather.

Adou just has to get well or days like today are going to be the norm more often than not.

Cal has no clear cut idea what lineups are the best.

The lack of defense by the whole damn team will be the demise of them in the tournament, just like it was in this game.
I just can’t blame one player for choking while the whole team just let someone score damn near twice as many points as they did their previous game!
Defense was terrible. I’m not blaming one player. Just pointing something out.

And 8pts.
game was ours to take until Wagners turnover at end of reg. Then ref bails us out with phantom foul putting Shep at line.

Sheps foul was 1000% the right call, Wade hit his arm. TAM got their free throws on FAR less contact.

As for the leg kickout.. maybe you don't call it that late in the game, but it was the right call. The NCAA added this rule recently because Harden and Curry created this loophole where kicking a leg out would not only keep a defender away, but also cause an easy foul.

And even if you DONT call that.. the officials sure owed us at least a FEW calls. The funny thing is, that foul was when the game was more or less over.

He's money from the top of the key, or at least be was all summer and early in the year. He struggles from corner 3's, but he keeps shooting em anyway.
The key word is was. He’s had two good nights with high volume - 4/7 and 4/10.

Outside of those two games, Tre Mitchell is shooting 28% from deep. I think we all still have the blue/white game cemented in our minds…

I have never seen a team struggle so bad with a high post pick. Just unbelievable
Your not allowed to say that. Facts aren’t important, only sunshine and rainbows around here otherwise the minority will cry.

In all seriousness, I may be wrong, but I feel that most Cal teams seem to have better defense and rebounding than this. As much as I think Cal needs to go, his teams in January that have a pulse, seem to do better in defense. Very weird

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
I like the kids game, but he's way too loose with the ball, and he makes sloppy decisions with the game on the line. That stupid outlet pass when we were down 2, I believe. Intercepted. A&m comes back and hits a 3. So we go from being able to tie the game to down 5. It's just clown shit like that in crunch time that will not allow you to win a tough road game.
It's called fundamentals

Reactions: Mike-D
I won’t dispute that fatigue could play a part. I’ll have to see him fresh down the stretch sometime and see what that looks like.

We won’t do it, but if Thiero doesn’t get back soon we should think about playing Reeves/Reed/Rob/DJ around a big (Onyenso or Bradshaw) for stretches. Pressure, trap, run, shoot threes.

Again, I know Cal won’t do it, but I’m pretty comfortable feeling that is a plus lineup in 3-4 minute bursts.
Ccc only plays one way, regardless of roster or situation. His way or no way

I won’t dispute that fatigue could play a part. I’ll have to see him fresh down the stretch sometime and see what that looks like.

We won’t do it, but if Thiero doesn’t get back soon we should think about playing Reeves/Reed/Rob/DJ around a big (Onyenso or Bradshaw) for stretches. Pressure, trap, run, shoot threes.

Again, I know Cal won’t do it, but I’m pretty comfortable feeling that is a plus lineup in 3-4 minute bursts.
I’ll dispute it, these guys are 18-20 years old, no way they are fatigued in Jan. If it was late March maybe but these guys are in insane shape and it’s only January.

I’ll dispute it, these guys are 18-20 years old, no way they are fatigued in Jan. If it was late March maybe but these guys are in insane shape and it’s only January.
Yeahhhh I don’t actually believe it’s a great excuse. Not saying you can’t be more tired after playing 40 minutes vs. 25. But you still have to step up and hit your free throws. Kobe hit two free throws once with a torn Achilles.

Cool. Now compare their box scores against real competition.

Which one was far better against KU?
Which one had the greater impact against UNC?

Also, which one will be in the NBA?

You seem like a dude that wants to defend Tre at all costs. Not sure why. But OP is right. You are wrong. And Tre Mitchell is not the star you or he himself think he is.
Tre Mitchell was far better against KU. His +/- was -3. Thiero's was -26! NEGATIVE TWENTY SIX! Some of the posters on this site are incredibly unsophisticated when it comes to understanding basketball. I love Thiero's energy, fearlessness, athleticism, etc., and he seems like a GREAT kid, but frankly he doesn't know what he's doing out there.

• Haha
Tre Mitchell was far better against KU. His +/- was -3. Thiero's was -26! NEGATIVE TWENTY SIX! Some of the posters on this site are incredibly unsophisticated when it comes to understanding basketball. I love Thiero's energy, fearlessness, athleticism, etc., and he seems like a GREAT kid, but frankly he doesn't know what he's doing out there.
His play, especially in the first half, was the reason we were even in that game. Plus/minus doesn’t always tell the whole story. Thiero was great. 16 points and 13 rebounds with a number of huge plays on both ends.

Funny to say that a coach’s son doesn’t know what he’s doing out there - while simultaneously taking up for the dude whose lack of fundamental play contributed to the loss today and to KU 🤣

Thiero had the best BPM among starters vs. Kansas at 8.4. Reed and Rob were much better than that off the bench. Wagner and Edwards were the ones who struggled.

I don’t know what level of sophistication it takes to understand that Thiero played well against Kansas, but consider me guilty I suppose.

Well Thiero isn't playing lol.

I'm all on board the Thiero wagon, especially because its clear we're lacking rebounding and toughness without him.

But he's not available, and who knows when he will be. If he's not there, who should get Tres minutes? With our centers being lackluster, we have no choice.

Well Thiero isn't playing lol.

I'm all on board the Thiero wagon, especially because its clear we're lacking rebounding and toughness without him.

But he's not available, and who knows when he will be. If he's not there, who should get Tres minutes? With our centers being lackluster, we have no choice.
I’ve already said I would go small ball for stretches with Reed/DJ/Rob and either Reeves or Edwards around one big, either Bradshaw or Onyenso.

I would probably do that for two 3-4 minute bursts per game.

Mitchell played 44 minutes today and Reed was next at 33. So take about 8 minutes from Mitchell and distribute among our 4 guards + Edwards.

I would pressure, trap, and push in transition with this group. I’m pretty sure Cal will never do this, but it’s what I would do.

I’ve already said I would go small ball for stretches with Reed/DJ/Rob and either Reeves or Edwards around one big, either Bradshaw or Onyenso.

I would probably do that for two 3-4 minute bursts per game.

Mitchell played 44 minutes today and Reed was next at 33. So take about 8 minutes from Mitchell and distribute among our 4 guards + Edwards.

I would pressure, trap, and push in transition with this group. I’m pretty sure Cal will never do this, but it’s what I would do.

That may work, but I think the general consensus is, you need the PF to play. With Bradshaw showing he's not ready and Ugo just starting to emerge, he's needed. And he provides more than just raw stats. He's an experience player abd provideos a good deal of stability.

Besides, my point about Adou is, once he returns I think that will be what lessens Tres minutes. But we shouldn't limit his minutes just to try small ball with several freshman. I don't think that's the answer. Could they get there? By March? Sure. But the pass you saw from Dilly to DJ to end the game, along with the missed fast breaks between the two, is why these guys aren't ready for that yet. Experience and game reps at the college level are needed in early january.

That may work, but I think the general consensus is, you need the PF to play. With Bradshaw showing he's not ready and Ugo just starting to emerge, he's needed. And he provides more than just raw stats. He's an experience player abd provideos a good deal of stability.

Besides, my point about Adou is, once he returns I think that will be what lessens Tres minutes. But we shouldn't limit his minutes just to try small ball with several freshman. I don't think that's the answer. Could they get there? By March? Sure. But the pass you saw from Dilly to DJ to end the game, along with the missed fast breaks between the two, is why these guys aren't ready for that yet. Experience and game reps at the college level are needed in early january.
Tre’s minutes were high when we had Adou starting at the 4 alongside him. Tre’s minutes were high when he moved to the 4 and Adou moved to the bench. His minutes are high now with Adou out with injury.

There’s no reason to think Tre’s minutes will go down much when Adou returns.

This is what Cal wants no matter the circumstances. And even though Tre is shooting 28% from deep across all but two games, Cal still gives him the green light out there.

I don’t even know what general consensus means. I’m telling you what I think.

And I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about with Rob and DJ not being ready for something. What exactly are they not ready for? They both play 25-30 minutes a game. They both have assist/turnover ratios of 2+.

Not ready to play without Tre Mitchell out there holding their hand?

I’m just suggesting a lineup combination to use in spurts. Not suggesting we go 40 minutes of small ball.

The same used to be true about Reeves but not so much lately. Because Mitchell has choked some so far doesn't mean that's how it's going to be in the future. Things change...

I don’t even know what general consensus means. I’m telling you what I think.

And I honestly have no idea what you’re talking about with Rob and DJ not being ready for something. What exactly are they not ready for? They both play 25-30 minutes a game. They both have assist/turnover ratios of 2+.

Not ready to play without Tre Mitchell out there holding their hand?

I’m just suggesting a lineup combination to use in spurts. Not suggesting we go 40 minutes of small ball.

They aren't ready to play together with only one big. They aren't ready to run a 4 out and 1 in type of lineup. That's my point. We still need pur forwards in there. If we want that to be Adou over Tre, that's fine. But Adou isn't available.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT