ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach taken to hospital and has passed away

I always wanted him as our coach. I wish UK would have hired him instead of Joker Phillips but it was not to be.

We sure missed the boat on that one.
Had we pulled the plug on the Joker era after the second year, when it was already obvious we had a train wreck on our hands, we could have hired him then. He’d have come to UK over Washington State.

Had we pulled the plug on the Joker era after the second year, when it was already obvious we had a train wreck on our hands, we could have hired him then. He’d have come to UK over Washington State.

The man could coach and was an innovator. An offensive genius no doubt. I had no idea his record was as good as it was. We missed the boat on Mike Leach as head coach of Kentucky.

This is the absolute worst thing to wake up to. I hope he went peacefully and that his family has peace through this grieving process.

Remember to get check-up by a Dr every 6 months and take care of your mental health. The world we live in- especially America- can be stressful and cause mental and physical complications. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I’m a Nurse and see this way too often. RIP coach
Us men especially are stubborn about this.

MEN. Take care of yourselves. Our health and mental well being is just as important as everyone else. Getting help is not weakness it’s wisdom. While being a warrior is admirable, powering through is not always the best option.

If someone questions you for seeing a doctor or mental health provider tell them to shove it.

Your health is paramount. It’s YOURS. It’s YOUR life and YOUR body. You get ONE of them as far as we know. Don’t prove someone wrong/right by dying. You don’t get a “See! Told ya so!” Your job, even if it’s your dream and passion is not worth your life. Step back. Heal. Rest. Then come back to it.

I’m so damn sad today. Mike you will be missed by so many. Go fold up some chairs up in Heaven and tell them angels to get to work.

Last edited:
Even a defibrillator is only useful for certain rhythms, and the automatic type you usually see in public is more limited than a manual unit like a Zoll you'd find on a crash cart or on the EMS buggy. Now I am ACLS certified, but I do not work in critical care and have to date never run a code on a living person. You really want someone trained in giving good chest compressions, someone to assess rhythm and shock if warranted, someone to ventilate, and someone to push drugs. In a situation without trained pros and equipment, CPR and AED would be the first line of treatment until emergency services arrives.
Unfortunately, when a person is lying in the floor, unconscious, and in cardiac arrest, all of those necessary items you listed are not available.

I am ACLS certified also ( have let my certification expire due to old age and no longer working).
I was shocked to find out how few rural fire departments ( especially volunteers) and rescue squads actually carry defibrillators back in my day.

I hope that has changed. Without a defibrillator, a massive heart attack victim has 8-12 minutes max to restore circulation or suffer permanent brain damage, as you well know.

Terrible situation that could often times be mitigated with proper training and equipment.

Praying for the family and all ML fans today. God give them Grace. The next few days, weeks, months, and sometimes years are going to be very difficult for them .

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I'll say this in honor of Coaches crazy sense of humor. When my time comes I prefer for people to find a way to laugh.

On this day, December 13, 2022, Coach Mike Leach, the master of the air raid offense, passed into the afterlife.

Coach, I hope St. Peter meets you at the gates with a gunslinger and 4 angels with great hands.

RIP

I appreciate the optimism, but he's in palliative care. He went 15 - 20 minutes without oxygen. He's brain dead. They are waiting for all main family members to arrive to say their goodbyes before pulling the plug. So while he may be technically alive, the Mike Leach we know is gone.
I understand but as long as there was a heartbeat or a breath, I keep hoping. I’ve seen too many people leave this earth in all kinds of ways. I’ve also seen miracles. We didn’t get the miracle we all hoped for but before he took his last breath, he gave the miracle of continued life to countless others thru organ donation. We should have known he wasn’t going anywhere until he made sure that a piece of him stayed here on earth with us. He might be gone to you but I, for one, think he’s more alive right now than ever before. Peace

I'll say this in honor of Coaches crazy sense of humor. When my time comes I prefer for people to find a way to laugh.

On this day, December 13, 2022, Coach Mike Leach, the master of the air raid offense, passed into the afterlife.

Coach, I hope St. Peter meets you at the gates with a gunslinger and 4 angels with great hands.

RIP
The stories, the clips, the memories of all those who shared on social media made a very somber occasion a little bit more bearable. The mosquito deterrent was as funny a thing as I’ve ever heard. Made me laugh out loud.

I understand but as long as there was a heartbeat or a breath, I keep hoping. I’ve seen too many people leave this earth in all kinds of ways. I’ve also seen miracles. We didn’t get the miracle we all hoped for but before he took his last breath, he gave the miracle of continued life to countless others thru organ donation. We should have known he wasn’t going anywhere until he made sure that a piece of him stayed here on earth with us. He might be gone to you but I, for one, think he’s more alive right now than ever before. Peace
Yep, miracles can and do happen. It ain't over til its over.

Reactions: calismyhero
Unfortunately, when a person is lying in the floor, unconscious, and in cardiac arrest, all of those necessary items you listed are not available.

I am ACLS certified also ( have let my certification expire due to old age and no longer working).
I was shocked to find out how few rural fire departments ( especially volunteers) and rescue squads actually carry defibrillators back in my day.

I hope that has changed. Without a defibrillator, a massive heart attack victim has 8-12 minutes max to restore circulation or suffer permanent brain damage, as you well know.

Terrible situation that could often times be mitigated with proper training and equipment.
N
Praying for the family and all ML fans today. God give them Grace. The next few days, weeks, months, and sometimes years are going to be very difficult for them .
I agree you aren’t going to have all of those items, but you can - hopefully - have someone nearby who can call 911 and perform effective CPR until EMS arrives. Also, AEDs are available for the home. Expensive, $600-1200 range, but if someone has a heart condition insurance might pay for it. Of course neither will always be available or helpful in every case, but you’ve got a better chance than if they’re not

Reactions: cathouse
A question I’m curious about, has any member of Hal Mumme’s staff at Kentucky ever been hired back here as a coach? I know Neal Brown and John Schlarman, but they were players not coaches under Mumme. Maybe some grad assistants?

Us men especially are stubborn about this.

MEN. Take care of yourselves. Our health and mental well being is just as important as everyone else. Getting help is not weakness it’s wisdom. While being a warrior is admirable, powering through is not always the best option.

If someone questions you for seeing a doctor or mental health provider tell them to shove it.

Your health is paramount. It’s YOURS. It’s YOUR life and YOUR body. You get ONE of them as far as we know. Don’t prove someone wrong/right by dying. You don’t get a “See! Told ya so!” Your job, even if it’s your dream and passion is not worth your life. Step back. Heal. Rest. Then come back to it.

I’m so damn sad today. Mike you will be missed by so many. Go fold up some chairs up in Heaven and tell them angels to get to work.
Thank you for saying what I was thinking but couldn’t express. This situation is often so unnecessary. RIP, Coach Leach. Condolences to his family and also to MSU fans as well.

Reactions: kritikalcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT