ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Leach taken to hospital and has passed away

Makes me want to buy oxygen tanks for my parents to keep around. If he didn’t go 10-15 minutes without oxygen, he’s probably still with us.
Unfortunately, oxygen tanks are useless in these cases.
It takes a defibrillator to restart the heart.
I know. Unfortunately my family has been through this very same thing.

Pray for the family.

Unfortunately all families deal with some type of adversity at one time or another. My wife, the strongest person I ever met, had a saying: "Don't look back, keep moving forward." That thought helps me.
They do for sure.

My family made the decision to end life support on our daughter in 2015 and my wife of 50+ years in 2020. It's absolutely brutal to have to do that.
I had a cousin that was on life support and was diagnosed as brain dead at UT a few years ago. I stayed in his room with him until his parents and children flew up from Florida so they could see him before they removed the life support. I would occasionally talk to him, not sure why. It was hard knowing that he would be gone in a few hours. My heart goes out to the Leach family.

Had to pull the plug on my mom. Luckily she had a living Will and the decision was taken out of my hands for better or worse. Even with her living Will the doctors left it to me to decide the time. I asked two questions, if she were conscious would she be in horrendous pain and two, what is the chance of survival if we continue.

The answers were “Yes, and less than 5%. And even if she did recover the damage to her brain would be substantial she would be essentially a vegetable. “. My mom spent 13 years suffering from paraplegia. She’d curse my soul if I got her back only to be quadriplegic and mentally not there.

I told them “Well, she said No in this document and she always told me that if it were greater than 5% to fight. She and I have fought for 13 years together to keep her going, but we’re done. Let her go.”

Hardest words I have ever had to say. We cut support and she was gone within an hour. Dman I miss her. And it’s stuff like this that brings back bad memories.

Take care of yourselves. Listen to your doctors. Have a Living Will and have discussions with your families about what to do if the worst comes and you can’t make decisions for yourself.

DO NOT leave them with a more heartbreaking decision with no guidance. It’s cruel.

One of my moms last acts of love was to not make me suffer in that.

I hate this for them. I’ve been there and It sucks. January 19 lath will always be a hard day for me.

Prayers for his family and friends. Just remember he was a coach to us. But to them he was daddy, and granddaddy. Friend and brother. And no matter what we believe, physical death sucks. Prayers to for MSU and the team. Their bowl game is going to be a tough one. Going to be hard to take snaps for them without him on the sidelines.
Sorry brother. That is very hard.

All I know right now is that it’s Monday December 12th at 10:43 pm and he is still alive. I don’t wanna hear anything else. God is at work, fixing him and sending him back to his family. He needs a miracle and God is going to give him
One. Keep praying, it’s going to be ok.

All I know right now is that it’s Monday December 12th at 10:43 pm and he is still alive. I don’t wanna hear anything else. God is at work, fixing him and sending him back to his family. He needs a miracle and God is going to give him
I hope so. When both of my parents were about gone I asked the Father for them to be restored and life a full life or take them home. God took them home. His timing and healing are perfect.

I had a cousin that was on life support and was diagnosed as brain dead at UT a few years ago. I stayed in his room with him until his parents and children flew up from Florida so they could see him before they removed the life support. I would occasionally talk to him, not sure why. It was hard knowing that he would be gone in a few hours. My heart goes out to the Leach family.
I’m sure he heard you. Spirit has a funny way of knowing. When Mom was in and out of her spells during that last hellacious month of her life. She mentioned one nurse that was so kind to her that she had no way of knowing what she looked like. But she told me and damn if she wasn’t close.

I tried to track down all of Mom’s good nurses. The ones that called me because they knew I could check in every hour like I wanted. The ones that sat and talked to her for awhile. Some of them are really awesome people. Of course she had some not so good ones too. And those were the long nights.

I hate this for the Leach family. I know close to what they’re going through. I spent way too many late nights in hospital rooms and driving home by myself in tears during that December to January. I still won’t drive overnight or late at night during this month because of it. Hurts.

Last edited:
I appreciate the optimism, but he's in palliative care. He went 15 - 20 minutes without oxygen. He's brain dead. They are waiting for all main family members to arrive to say their goodbyes before pulling the plug. So while he may be technically alive, the Mike Leach we know is gone.

I appreciate the optimism, but he's in palliative care. He went 15 - 20 minutes without oxygen. He's brain dead. They are waiting for all main family members to arrive to say their goodbyes before pulling the plug. So while he may be technically alive, the Mike Leach we know is gone.
Until he’s gone, I await a miracle. But I know the Fathers will is absolute. And that His will no matter how painful for us at times, is always perfect.

Unfortunately, oxygen tanks are useless in these cases.
It takes a defibrillator to restart the heart.
I know. Unfortunately my family has been through this very same thing.

Pray for the family.
Even a defibrillator is only useful for certain rhythms, and the automatic type you usually see in public is more limited than a manual unit like a Zoll you'd find on a crash cart or on the EMS buggy. Now I am ACLS certified, but I do not work in critical care and have to date never run a code on a living person. You really want someone trained in giving good chest compressions, someone to assess rhythm and shock if warranted, someone to ventilate, and someone to push drugs. In a situation without trained pros and equipment, CPR and AED would be the first line of treatment until emergency services arrives.

10-15 minutes without perfusion indicates he was alone / inaccesible when this happened, or whomoever was with him was not able to perform CPR and rescue breathing. The survival statistics even with that aren't great, but they are skewed by it being done often on patients who are in very poor condition at baseline, or after too much damage has already occured. Despite his apparent deteriorated health, I feel it would've improved the chances of a better outcome. Effective CPR can even be done by a previously untrained person with proper instuctions from a trained dispatcher over the phone.

I have spoken with someone who took a mortar explosion to their head and body, lost brain matter, and was "clinically dead" at least 3 times with little oxygen to their brain for many minutes. They lived over 40 years after that event without losing much if their memory or cognitive ability. Miracles do happen, even if they don't in this instance. Medicine isn't always the final say in these matters.

Still praying for him

This is the absolute worst thing to wake up to. I hope he went peacefully and that his family has peace through this grieving process.

Remember to get check-up by a Dr every 6 months and take care of your mental health. The world we live in- especially America- can be stressful and cause mental and physical complications. Sorry to go off on a tangent but I’m a Nurse and see this way too often. RIP coach

From FootballScoop. He gave to the very end:

His family has announced that Mike Leach died late last night noting his final act of charity was participating in organ donation. Leach was a good and faithful servant until the end. A life well lived Mike. God bless and rest in peace.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT