ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Says Marcus Walker Story Will Get Worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
The next time that Matt Jones has some news relevant to UK football will be the first time. He's not a fan. Cole Cubelic called him out on his own show for being too negative about UK football. But, if he had the goods I believe he would be blabbering the details because he loves getting the scoop before anyone else. The only thing he cares more about is his own opinion.

Isn't that what sports bloggers are supposed to do? They don't have much of a business model if they're not getting the scoop.

This isn't a Matt Jones deal. It's simply the way sports reporting works for any writer at any school.

I'm not a Matt Jones apologist, nor do I agree with all his politics. But, I'm not going to knock a guy for doing what he's supposed to do. He would be UK homer of the worst kind if he ignored negative news.

I ignore all writers (sports, political or social) that suddenly disappear when there's bad news for their team, political affiliation, candidate or social cause. Kudos to him for not sticking his head in the sand.

Our policy hasn't changed, it's not an athletic policy its a UGA policy, and we still have guys miss games because of it. Holyfield was caught as a frosh by the RA in the athletic dorm who went down the hall smelling under doors. Now I am not condoning doing something illegal, but that is a little extreme. Not as bad as having the drug test the Monday after sprng break a few years back. I wouldn't be excited about having any college football player having a grudge against me, but Holyfield would be very near the last one. He is a physical beast, and worst yet he knows how to defend himself.

I don't worry about any of those guys being able to defend themselves--------I am never going to go on the offense against them, it is their offense I worry about.

And it is always best to have those drug tests on a regular schedule, with advance notice--------like some schools do it.

Testing catches users, not dealers.

tenor.gif

If it comes out that several players were involved somehow then I think a suspension and a $$$ penalty should happen but give him a chance to right things... I do think the assistant or manager in charge of keeping an eye on walker should be let go anyways.....

If it ever comes out one of the main staff members knew then thats another bigger can of worms to talk about.

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
And word was he had something to do with the double murder in Gainesville his last year there.

Probably investigated a lot more if he wasn't already off the streets for good. Although some of the University officials might have had a hand in it not being pursued any more than it was. Sounds like Meyer kept him out of trouble on at least one assault and battery.

I don't know how often they test but maybe we need to double the frequancy

They test when required as far as I know. But the social media posts that went unaddressed is the main issue imo. They had to know it was either a compliance or legal issue; or both.

Your head can't be that deep in the sand as a program.

Last edited:
If it comes out that several players were involved somehow then I think a suspension and a $$$ penalty should happen but give him a chance to right things... I do think the assistant or manager in charge of keeping an eye on walker should be let go anyways.....

If it ever comes out one of the main staff members knew then thats another bigger can of worms to talk about.

Yeah, the staff probably knew about it. It's worth their careers to protect a 3rd stringer.
Thanks for trying to take this to another level.

No I don't think it is good for use J. A. M. A
Does. And God said I've given you ALL of these to use and these are good. It's our citizens and government who confuse those simple words. I can show you today personal family members and their children who benefit from CBD oils when nothing else on the market helped

And yes the kid was flaunting an illegal operation and it's ugly with many nuances and underlying issues as to why. But far more serious " hard drug" problems abound in our nation and this arrest will not even slow the weed smoke in Lexington for a nano second I certainly hope no one believes other wise.

He must be kicked off the team though and needs to get his life back on track. If he wants to live by his act he will not throw all his confederates under the bus and will shoulder his own blame for his own actions the whole G code thing right.

Reactions: UKdondee
When "if" prefaces a ridiculous hypothetical, "if" is no defense to the ridicule that ensues.

The thread is about Matt Jones hinting it could get worse.. I went over the ways it could get worse.... I didnt even cover any real thoughts because it wasnt very likely and leave that discussion for if it some how happened.

Stop getting your panties in a crack

I don't know if he knows anything more than anyone else or not, but it seems to me Matt Jones has made this a much bigger issue than it would have been without his vague speculation.

But while all this speculation probably is bad for the program I would guess he has accomplished his purpose.

Sadly.

Probably investigated a lot more if he wasn't already off the streets for good. Although some of the University officials might have had a hand in it not being pursued any more than it was. Sounds like Meyer kept him out of trouble on at least one assault and battery.

It definitely had something to do with Meyers “health problems.” His wife had moral issues with the way they were handling things and done her best to force Urban out. I think she was more afraid he would be implicated as an accomplice after the fact but you are right about it being more the university steering the investigation. I don’t think Meyer had a lot to do with that. Had he had any say so whatsoever I think he would have given access to dorms or players or whatever was needed to help the investigation. The school was calling those shots though.

It definitely had something to do with Meyers “health problems.” His wife had moral issues with the way they were handling things and done her best to force Urban out. I think she was more afraid he would be implicated as an accomplice after the fact but you are right about it being more the university steering the investigation. I don’t think Meyer had a lot to do with that. Had he had any say so whatsoever I think he would have given access to dorms or players or whatever was needed to help the investigation. The school was calling those shots though.

Oh she had issues with some the way Urban was handling things other than the team full of criminals he was coaching

No I don't think it is good for use J. A. M. A
Does.

This is like saying a medical association thinks OxyContin is good for use, therefore it’s good for all uses. Marijuana may be good for some medical uses, but the impact on recreational users is still be studied. The impact on bystanders of recreational users is just being realized, as recreational use is increasing in some states with its legality. Good? Bad? We will get a clearer picture, but that won’t stop the disingenuous debaters from manipulation of the evidence.

I don't know if he knows anything more than anyone else or not, but it seems to me Matt Jones has made this a much bigger issue than it would have been without his vague speculation.

But while all this speculation probably is bad for the program I would guess he has accomplished his purpose.

Sadly.
As I mentioned earlier in this thread, soon after I read the OP of the thread, I got onto the KSR website for the first time in months. Didn’t see any mention of the Walker situation.

I guess he must have discussed it on his radio show. Perhaps someone could post an audio clip???

The thread is about Matt Jones hinting it could get worse.. I went over the ways it could get worse.... I didnt even cover any real thoughts because it wasnt very likely and leave that discussion for if it some how happened.

Stop getting your panties in a crack

Yep. You just covered complete ridiculous thoughts.

Seems like we went from a third string guy getting arrested off campus for dealing all the way up to half the team involved and the coaching staff knowing about it. All in a page and a half.

It's easier to say a young guy decided to make guick bucks and a lot of em illegally...and did it off campus so the staff and most of the team didn't know just what he was into.

Reactions: ukalum1988
Seems like we went from a third string guy getting arrested off campus for dealing all the way up to half the team involved and the coaching staff knowing about it. All in a page and a half.

It's easier to say a young guy decided to make guick bucks and a lot of em illegally...and did it off campus so the staff and most of the team didn't know just what he was into.
If the car was his, it's hard to believe that somebody didn't suspect something. You can hide money, but not a car. If the picture was legit it looks like he wasn't AFRAID to hide either. That is troublesome. Thought somebody monitored their Twitter accounts?

If the car was his, it's hard to believe that somebody didn't suspect something. You can hide money, but not a car. If the picture was legit it looks like he wasn't AFRAID to hide either. That is troublesome. Thought somebody monitored their Twitter accounts?
Walker has had that car since he arrived on campus in 2015. I remember seeing videos of him back then in the car.

Well. Half of the people saying that probably want there to be more to it than it is. Jones included.

I’m personally a fan of recruiting high caliber players that might be criminals. Most of em aren’t. A very tiny percentage might be All Pro NFL and murderers like Aaron Hernandez. I hope Stoops can cheat his ass off and get the best players he can get. Period. If we want to be SEC, we have to get those players, then we actually have to coach them.

I don’t think Mitch will tolerate a lot of this. We had real talent and potential to win big last year, and we screwed it up in embarrassing fashion. Stoops gives us another year of stupid coaching mistakes, undisciplined players, and he should be fired. I think we have guys on this staff who could be much better head coaches. I doubt they could recruit like stoops, but results would be similar - bottom tier SEC .500 bowl hopeful.

Why would Matt Jones want football to suffer? He explained it several times and it showed up on our football program does well people talk about it and that means more ratings he wins $$ if our football program does well
I don't know that Matt has ever been comfortable with the college football world.
That was Freddie Maggards wheelhouse.
Matt gets money from advertising dollars that is tied into how many listeners he has,
So he concentrates heavily in basketball news and rumors. This isn't a busy season for football. He has to throw out any news or reports he can to get all the listeners he can. Stoops is a lot less quotable than Calipari.
All I'm saying is although it's definitely a bad look, we are talking about a guy that isn't in the two deep rotation and who's stats came mainly against Austin Peay two years ago. If he was a regular student, I doubt we would have heard anything.
But yes.... The more it gets bandied about, talked about, analyzed and 'what if' about, it will have an effect as the speculations grow.
Officially, all Coach Stoops can possibly say is that the player is no longer with the team.

I’m personally a fan of recruiting high caliber players that might be criminals. Most of em aren’t. A very tiny percentage might be All Pro NFL and murderers like Aaron Hernandez. I hope Stoops can cheat his ass off and get the best players he can get. Period. If we want to be SEC, we have to get those players, then we actually have to coach them.

I don’t think Mitch will tolerate a lot of this. We had real talent and potential to win big last year, and we screwed it up in embarrassing fashion. Stoops gives us another year of stupid coaching mistakes, undisciplined players, and he should be fired. I think we have guys on this staff who could be much better head coaches. I doubt they could recruit like stoops, but results would be similar - bottom tier SEC .500 bowl hopeful.
I think Barnharts statement after the debacle against Louisville last year has a lot of layers to it. I believe the statement "This isn't who we are" was directed to the coaching staff as much as the student athletes. As well it should have been.

My opinion is that this season is a huge one for the Stoops experiment.....twelve million buy out or not....a forty million dollar SEC share offsets a lot of buyout worries.

I think Barnharts statement after the debacle against Louisville last year has a lot of layers to it. I believe the statement "This isn't who we are" was directed to the coaching staff as much as the student athletes. As well it should have been.

My opinion is that this season is a huge one for the Stoops experiment.....twelve million buy out or not....a forty million dollar SEC share offsets a lot of buyout worries.

I think UK needs to show a lot of progress this year------and I think we will. Better players AND better coaches IMO. The record may or may not improve a great deal, probably depends a lot on whether we play against two All American QBs-------or three or four or five, two almost a certainly and four or five certainly possible. Also a lot on whether our QB comes close to matching their level, also some possibility of that, with a lot better support for him-------whoever it is. JMO

Reactions: Sawnee Cat
I agree with this. I pray that is not the case but if it is you tell Stoops good-bye. We had another Coach, a coach much better than Stoops who lost control of a team and drugs was a major factor. I pray this never happens again.
But they were actually good for 2-3 years back then

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT