ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones Says Marcus Walker Story Will Get Worse...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do not think that. You said “big pharma” was greedy. Greed plays a role in addiction at many different levels.
Sure it does but you will have a hard time convincing people that big pharma didn't have a clue what they were doing when shipping an average of 302 doses per capita to eastern Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Big Pharma is not run by stupid people who can't understand the dose per population ratio. Read the article I linked or google the subject matter. A lot of todays addicts were high achieving model students when they went to the doctor the first time after a sports injury.

The escalation of heroin occurred after law enforcement increased pressure on the prescription drug problem in this state.
You're still not grasping when the addiction to opioids started for these people. You don't seem to know that heroin is another form of opioid that is being used by addicts when they are cut off from the prescription opioid they became addicted to. The fact is if you cut an addict off from his supply he will look for a new supply. That's what addiction means.

Marijuana would be a safer intoxicant than alcohol

I prosecuted for 16 years, and never issued a DVO/EPO or arrest warrant for someone who had "smoked one too many." Alcohol [and other dangerous drugs] kept us up at nights [in a "dry" county].

Hitler ran on meth his last few years, so did his troops, they called his doctor Dr Feelgood.

It could have been the difference in the war too.

As for the difference in the war, I'm sticking with 20 million Russians, and more than a thousand B-17's.

Not a big pharma issue.

Depends on where you are in Ky. Eastern Ky. has had an opiod/prescription problem for generations.

a full 80% of all users arrive at heroin after abusing opioid painkillers such as OxyContin, Percocet and Vicodin."

The escalation of heroin occurred after law enforcement increased pressure on the prescription drug problem in this state

True, and further proof of Levi's point.

Reactions: sluggercatfan
Stoops did not have to say a word about the cash picture(s) - was there more than that one. Regardless, Stoops did what he had to do. Maybe not $90K but a lot of C-notes in that fan. Still A LOT of walking around money for a typical college student. I suspect more than what you and I have in our wallets combined. :D

Peace

OK, let's check that out.

Do you have over $89,900 in your wallet? I've got my part covered, but hurry, I probably won't have it tomorrow.

Last edited:
I prosecuted for 16 years, and never issued a DVO/EPO or arrest warrant for someone who had "smoked one too many." Alcohol [and other dangerous drugs] kept us up at nights [in a "dry" county].

As for the difference in the war, I'm sticking with 20 million Russians, and more than a thousand B-17's.

Depends on where you are in Ky. Eastern Ky. has had an opiod/prescription problem for generations.

If Hitler hadn't got hooked (wouldn't listen to his Generals) and had waited until he conquered Europe (which he was well on his way to doing) he would have had a lot more resources for Russia. In fact if he hadn't opened a second front in trying to take over their oil fields he might have taken Stalingrad. The Germans sent 6,000,000 meth pills to the Russian front at one time, made his soldiers very wild and strong, also very stupid, a lot of them didn't realize that their feet had frozen off.

Meth is something I can never understand people getting hooked on, you see pictures of arrests of good looking women that look like they are about 60 and the story says they are only 25. It is supposed to be VERY addictive, why would you ever take the chance?

All this from someone that knows zero about drugs.

Are pharmaceutical companies manufacturing heroin these days?

EKY had an opioid problem. Louisville and other places are subjected to the heroin problem. One is not always correlated to the other.

Know this first hand!

Sure it does but you will have a hard time convincing people that big pharma didn't have a clue what they were doing when shipping an average of 302 doses per capita to eastern Kentucky, Pennsylvania, and West Virginia. Big Pharma is not run by stupid people who can't understand the dose per population ratio. Read the article I linked or google the subject matter. A lot of todays addicts were high achieving model students when they went to the doctor the first time after a sports injury.
I can attest to personal experience with this issue. My 68 year old mom is hooked on opioids she was prescribed for her rhumatoid arthritis by her doctor. It turned her into a different person entirely thru no fault of her own. This crap is HIGHLY addictive and tough to stop. There is a reason it is nicknamed Hillbilly Heroin....
Meanwhile, medical marijuana is illegal due to the stranglehold Big Pharma keeps on the fine politicians in this backwards state. Be a shame to allow old folks access to non addictive pain relief when you can keep them addicted, strung out, and paying for all those Medicaid scripts.

Are pharmaceutical companies manufacturing heroin these days?

EKY had an opioid problem. Louisville and other places are subjected to the heroin problem. One is not always correlated to the other.

Although I do see that about 80% of heroin users reported first misusing prescription opioids. The jump in overdose deaths in Jefferson County appear to be related to the increase in fentanyl.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Some numbers suggest the entry to the heroin is the "legal" stuff.

I had a young lady client by appointment, recently, who looked pretty rough. I asked her in private what her problem was, and she immediately volunteered "heroin." I asked if she had begun drugs with marijuana, and she said she'd never tried marijuana. I told her she might want to give it a shot as opposed to the heroin.

The jump in overdose deaths in Jefferson County appear to be related to the increase in fentanyl.

I read somewhere that nationally, we lost 42,000 to opioids, last year. We lost 58,000 in Viet Nam, in what, 7 years of serious fighting?

Homicides jumped from 85 to 124 from 2015 to 16 in metro Louisville. Overdoses rose from 270 to 362 over the same period.

The escalation of heroin occurred after law enforcement increased pressure on the prescription drug problem in this state.

That's completely false. The escalation of heroin occurred when Mexican cartels increased heroin production and flooded the market. So junkies had a choice....$60 a pill or $15 for heroin laced with fentanyl? Rx can't compete with that.

America flooded America with high grade marijuana and that hit the cartels, so the cartels moved more meth and heroin.

That's completely false. The escalation of heroin occurred when Mexican cartels increased heroin production and flooded the market. So junkies had a choice....$60 a pill or $15 for heroin laced with fentanyl? Rx can't compete with that.

America flooded America with high grade marijuana and that hit the cartels, so the cartels moved more meth and heroin.

I am interested in your sourcing. Links?

I am interested in your sourcing. Links?

DEA agents. Read any books about the Mexican/American drug trade.

What you said about heroin increasing after "the state" cracked down on Rx is not based on reality. It is a popular political talking point that seems logical, and makes people feel like their govt is doing something . Reality is the heroin is better, cheaper and we have a ton of it right now - largely because mexico cartels are taking over the world heroin trade. Not just here, they're shipping it across the atlantic and taking over territory that middle east/asia holds.

DEA agents. Read any books about the Mexican/American drug trade.

What you said about heroin increasing after "the state" cracked down on Rx is not based on reality. It is a popular political talking point that seems logical, and makes people feel like their govt is doing something . Reality is the heroin is better, cheaper and we have a ton of it right now - largely because mexico cartels are taking over the world heroin trade. Not just here, they're shipping it across the atlantic and taking over territory that middle east/asia holds.

I know criminal prosecutors and DEA agents, personally. I can tell you, from an apolitical perspective, that you are wrong.

If Hitler hadn't got hooked (wouldn't listen to his Generals) and had waited until he conquered Europe (which he was well on his way to doing) he would have had a lot more resources for Russia. In fact if he hadn't opened a second front in trying to take over their oil fields he might have taken Stalingrad. The Germans sent 6,000,000 meth pills to the Russian front at one time, made his soldiers very wild and strong, also very stupid, a lot of them didn't realize that their feet had frozen off.

Meth is something I can never understand people getting hooked on, you see pictures of arrests of good looking women that look like they are about 60 and the story says they are only 25. It is supposed to be VERY addictive, why would you ever take the chance?

All this from someone that knows zero about drugs.
Hitler had the Nazis make the Jews wear pieces of flair

I know criminal prosecutors and DEA agents, personally. I can tell you, from an apolitical perspective, that you are wrong.

With any "effect," there are typically many causes. In my home town of 3,000 folks, I personally knew 3 who became involved in "civilian contracting" in Afganistan. We shipped tens of thousands to that land, to perform some odd missions, like walking around and pretty much just asking why they shot at us [a DARPA program that we might have survived without having.]

I have always thought that throwing that many military/civilian folks into the land of the poppy fields would lead to a rebound in heroin use, here.

What did the song "Copperhead Road" say . . . . "They sent me off to Viet Nam, . . . . and I came home with a brand new plan."

Right. Mexico increased heroin crops significantly and undercut America Rx with cheap killer heroin to supplement their declining mj crops. There's nothing to disagree about.

Yep, at least that’s the case in the Ashland tri-state area. 8-10 years ago ppl were going to Florida & Georgia monthly & bringing back hundreds of OxyContin & oxycodone & heroin was basically nonexistent. But, once the KASPER laws went into effect it put an end to the trips down south. The 30s that were EVERYWHERE, affordable & easily accessible were now essentially gone & addicts had to go a different route to avoid being dopesick. It wasn’t until then that heroin became a problem in this area. Prior to that I RARELY heard of or read about heroin here. I don’t think the market being flooded with heroin was a big factor in this area. The addicts here only went to heroin bc the pain pill supply dried up, making them hard to find & extremely expensive. Supply & demand. It’s no coincidence that heroin became an issue shortly after the crackdown on opioids. But, now it has consumed the tri-state & overdoses & hepatitis cases are going thru the roof. Very sad.

Be a shame to allow old folks access to non addictive pain relief when you can keep them addicted, strung out, and paying for all those Medicaid scripts.

My God, do you mean to suggest that folks could grow their own non-addictive, relatively inexpensive pain relief in their back yard?

Capitalism could crumble if we fail to harass, regulate and overcharge the weak, the infirm, and the pained!

I can't say that I have spent a lot of time researching the prescription drug problem in eastern Ky, so don't take this as an argumentative question. It's truly questions to try and understand the situation better.

Your post implies that big pharma should have acted in a manner different than what it did. I'm confused a little by that. They are a supplier of product ordered by doctors. How would they control the number prescriptions written for a particular drug? How would they refuse to ship product to a pharmacy, or pharmacies, when there are prescriptions written for that drug that the pharmacy needs to fill? I'm not sure how they control that. If they reduced the quantity shipped, for example, to keep it in line with a reasonable dose per population, wouldn't it create shortages for people who actually need the drug? In other words, the same number of prescriptions would still be written, some legitimate and some not, but there would not be enough quantity to fill all those prescriptions. It seems like a doctor problem, not a big pharma problem to me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT