ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones repeats the lie, UNC didn't break any rules.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've looked for the video and can't find it. I've never said "I know the facts." Perhaps if you know them so well you can educate me. All I'm asking for is something other than you guys saying it. I'm on your side, I just don't believe things because someone says it here.
You are defending UNC****. You clearly haven't done any homework. Go do it yourself. It has been written here for months, culled from the UNC*** own report or by Dan Kane. Don't jump in at the last second, defending UNC*** football and basketball with 0 knowledge to defend them with. I am sick of this. You can't be a UK fan. You have to be an infiltrating UNC**** fan to pretend to be so ignorant. Are you just going to forgive UNC*** about the Wheels for Heels program, the thuglife of their basketball players being brushed under the carpet, the mouthguards, the hiring of a player's mother to a job associated with the university which flew her to her other son's home games? It doesn't matter that the NCAA*** didn't investigate. They never wanted to investigate UNC**** in the first place and had to be dragged back into the fray because of published facts of fraud by others. The NCAA's**** first investigation was a total formality. They didn't want to find anything so they didn't. Came back and did a little bit better, then revised everything away in the amended NOA. That doesn't mean a thing.

But here you come. Johnny come lately, saying, "there is no proof" and demanding that people here prove it again. You sound exactly like all of the UNC****** apologists on their own forum so I think you need to go away forever.

If I told you that UNC was dirty before anything came out then you would have pointed to their sterling history as proof that I was wrong . You would stand behind that evidence alone because past behavior would suffice in your mind and you would be asking for proof to support my opinion .

The NCAA has shown to be openly corrupt in how they operate , the evidence has been cited many times and there have been many different situations showing this . They are a prestigious banana republic , given that which version of our opinions is most likely ? You can pretend all you want and sit there wanting proof while evidence of a corrupted organization races right by you . You were already duped for decades by UNC , don't let the NCAA take you for a ride too .

Have you read any of my responses? I said that I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE NCAA. I'm not sure how much clearer that I can be on that. Geez. Yet every response is a persuasive argument on how naive we are on the NCAA. I have not one time said that I don't agree with you on the NCAA.

But your right, I would ask for evidence of I didn't know anything about UNC scandal before it actually became public knowledge. I wouldn't just take a random message board post as fact. I sincerely hope that you do not take every post on this forum as fact.

If what they did isn't wrong then why does it look like the women's basketball team is about to get punished? Why was it ok for football and men's basketball but not for them?

According to Bilas they have proof of advisors steering the female basketball players to the AFAM classes but no physical proof that male basketball and football players were. That is why he says the women will get the hammer and not the men's team.

Reactions: Mashburned
Jones, at his very core, is a suck-up. He also is a momma's boy. The very minute he is presented with the opportunity to join the old boys club he will throw everything to the side and hop on licking all the way. Never understood how UK fans could be hoodwinked by Jones but after watching them fall for Maggard it is sadly no surprise. PT Barnum approves.
Some of you are just comedy gold.

Reactions: Supreme Lord Z
Maybe Bilas won't respond is because he knows that Duke might be guilty of the same thing?
He did respond but he only said boxill pushed players to these classes, NCAA couldn't point to extra benefits in this case.....don't understand that so it appears to me NCAA is getting off due to a technicallaty and he said NCAA doesn't check for class rigors just that they go to class. But did they miss the fact where they didn't go to class? I guess this was missed among the litany of other things with this corrupt program.

Swept-Under-the-Rug.jpg

Reactions: the stat man
I've said from the beginning that if UNC had any integrity, they would self-impose sanctions.

They know what they did was wrong. As a member institution, they have a duty to accept punishment.

At this point, the UNC boys should be hauled into Congress like Mark McGwire.

Reactions: JStaff2187
I've said from the beginning that if UNC had any integrity, they would self-impose sanctions.
That applies to the ACC conference as well. No sanctions, no integrity. But lots of luv from Espn.

Have you read any of my responses? I said that I AGREE WITH YOU ABOUT THE NCAA. I'm not sure how much clearer that I can be on that. Geez. Yet every response is a persuasive argument on how naive we are on the NCAA. I have not one time said that I don't agree with you on the NCAA.

But your right, I would ask for evidence of I didn't know anything about UNC scandal before it actually became public knowledge. I wouldn't just take a random message board post as fact. I sincerely hope that you do not take every post on this forum as fact.
This is not a courtroom where you need to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt , this is the court of public opinion and as long as the NCAA behaves the way they have been it's reasonable to think they tamper with any aspect of the game . So yeah you can take a message board post and buy into it without clear evidence . You also don't have to take every post on this board as fact , you can be selective .

The NCAAs actions come closer to supporting that they tamper with officiating than your claims that they aren't . The NCAA sent a UNC alumn to chapel hill to sound an alarm about clustering , why give them a heads up unless you want to tamper with the outcome and if your willing to do that do you really think it's any stretch at all to mess around with game outcomes . Clearly that behavior shows an interest in more than evenly handing out justice .

According to Bilas they have proof of advisors steering the female basketball players to the AFAM classes but no physical proof that male basketball and football players were. That is why he says the women will get the hammer and not the men's team.

That's hilarious.

I lost a lot of respect for Jay Bilas firing this UNC stuff. I thought he was the righteous one at ESPN.

MJ? this is expected. He's a troll who will, and does, take whatever side will bring him more clicks and views. He's a politician.

That's hilarious.

I lost a lot of respect for Jay Bilas firing this UNC stuff. I thought he was the righteous one at ESPN.

MJ? this is expected. He's a troll who will, and does, take whatever side will bring him more clicks and views. He's a politician.

Stupid post. That's not what he did/said and he just reiterated it on his show this morning.

He said he 100% believes UNC should be punished. He said he "kind of understands" Bilas' argument and after looking into it Bilas may be correct. Doesn't mean Jones is siding with UNC or agrees, just said that he can see where Bilas is coming from.

People on this forum are so incredibly stupid sometimes.

Reactions: mdlUK.1
Stupid post. That's not what he did/said and he just reiterated it on his show this morning.

He said he 100% believes UNC should be punished. He said he "kind of understands" Bilas' argument and after looking into it Bilas may be correct. Doesn't mean Jones is siding with UNC or agrees, just said that he can see where Bilas is coming from.

Except for the fact that Bilas isn't close to being correct. UNC played 1,000's of athletes who should've been ineligible.

Reactions: Big Cat fan
For the people saying "Bilas said investigators have no proof advisors steered men's basketball and football players to bogus courses", then why did the first NOA cite many instances of this happening? Now a year later, after more violations had been added from other sports, they've determined basketball and football weren't involved at all? How is this possible?

I watched the video and have now heard him say that someone wrote papers for him. That is all I asked is for someone to point me to where he said that.

Once again JP nails it. I think your post should be tweeted and retweeted until people start talking about the issues you bring up. You are absolutely correct that the UNCheat lawyers and PR firm were extremely successful in framing the issue. Basically, they pulled the magician's trick of misdirection. Look over here at this hand, while my other hand is palming the coin.

Reactions: Supreme Lord Z
I watched the video and have now heard him say that someone wrote papers for him. That is all I asked is for someone to point me to where he said that.

Which you could have easily found. It took me less than 30 seconds. You either suck at using the internet, or thought you could stump us with your question. The posters on this board are not the average Joe Blow fan who are going to buy the UNCheat party line.

If Memphis can have an entire season wiped away, because a prospective player allegedly had someone take his SAT (before he even stepped on campus), then how is providing papers, grades and fake class credits not seen as more of a violation?

That makes zero sense. He's playing both sides for the sake of his business...obviously, and I don't necessarily blame him for that, get your hits player..., but once you do that, your opinion is nothing more than entertainment, and that's fine. KSR is in the entertainment business....in the most ridiculous manner possible. People tend to forget that, and I am guilty as well. That's the real issue here. I am getting upset at a shock jock radio host...smh....and you are putting a shock jock radio host on a pedestal. The logical place to be is somewhere in the middle.

It doesn't matter what other schools did or didn't get punished for. The fact is UNC cheated by having fake classes. If they are seen as not punishable by the NCAA then they should not be able to punish anyone in the future either. All schools should just openly have fake classes if the want and be done with it.

This whole thing reminds me of the corrupt politicians in Washington. They are allowed to break rules that the rest of us would go to jail for. Everyone knows it's a corrupt system yet no on can or is willing to do anything about it.

I will it like it needs to be said. There is way too much information for the NCAA to process quickly. Everyone wants to jump the "bogus classes" mantra. And while it may be true, it is also meaningless.

You need 12 semester hours to be a full time student. Most students take at least 15 hours of classes a semester. So even if the class is considered to have not counted, all GPAs for the students needs to be re-evaluated to see if players were indeed eligible.

Take also into account, does UNC want to say the classes are real/fake. If real, then there is no problem - regardless of what is said in the media. If they are fake, then UNC has to rescind all of the degrees where the courses in question were needed for graduation - needed as in a student only completed the exact amount of hours and removing those classes would in fact mean the student did not graduate.

And for those that believe athletes are not "directed" to specific classes or professors, you are kidding yourself. Certain professors are known as athlete friendly. Mainly for the football players.

I will it like it needs to be said. There is way too much information for the NCAA to process quickly. Everyone wants to jump the "bogus classes" mantra. And while it may be true, it is also meaningless.

You need 12 semester hours to be a full time student. Most students take at least 15 hours of classes a semester. So even if the class is considered to have not counted, all GPAs for the students needs to be re-evaluated to see if players were indeed eligible.

Take also into account, does UNC want to say the classes are real/fake. If real, then there is no problem - regardless of what is said in the media. If they are fake, then UNC has to rescind all of the degrees where the courses in question were needed for graduation - needed as in a student only completed the exact amount of hours and removing those classes would in fact mean the student did not graduate.

And for those that believe athletes are not "directed" to specific classes or professors, you are kidding yourself. Certain professors are known as athlete friendly. Mainly for the football players.
It has to be said Fake classes not easy classes. McCants took 12 hours of fake classes to stay eligible for the 2005 national championship year, it has to be said. If you take a fake class you are ineligible. You have cheated. UNC set up a diploma mill for its athletes. UNC admitted to SACS they offered fake classes. The NCAA, including its member institutions, are corrupt. You UNC guys like to play dime store lawyer and muddy the waters. Just go back to your board where you can pretend this never happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Smashcat

Yep, but in this case, it is Bilas and Jones. They sound like the same defense lawyers I hear on Dateline NBC who, in the face of overwhelming logical evidence, come up with stupid explanations for how their clients didn't commit the crimes. It is entertaining, to say the least.

Reactions: catben
Yep, but in this case, it is Bilas and Jones. They sound like the same defense lawyers I hear on Dateline NBC who, in the face of overwhelming logical evidence, come up with stupid explanations for how their clients didn't commit the crimes. It is entertaining, to say the least.
Entertaining but very, very telling.

This UNC case is proof positive of what UK fans have said for decades, that the NCAA has selective enforcement for certain schools.

Jay Bilas has become the spokesperson for ESPN and it's "selected" programs. UNC being the main one considering their president is a UNC alum.

It's sickening!!

True.

The idea that UNC didn't break any rules is completely bogus. (and coincidentally exactly what the PR firms, which UNC has paid millions of dollars to, would like the public to think.) There are PLENTY of specific rules that they could be charged with, the problem is that either the NCAA doesn't want to or UNC has effectively lobbied the NCAA not to pursue anything with respect to basketball or football.

The issue which is lost is that UNC has been steering this investigation from Day 1, and has simply ignored or avoided numerous issues which by themselves could easily be violations. They 'self-report' additional charges on Jan Boxill, once they recognize that trying to frame everything on two individuals (which was their initial game plan) wouldn't fly. What about 'self-reporting' Wheels for Heels, ADHD testing, Tami Hansbrough's job among other things. Heck even the fact that Roy Williams was 'renting' out his house to a former player.

Were any of those things independently and thoroughly investigated? Were any of those things submitted to the NCAA as potential issues?

People (including Matt Jones BTW) have been suckered into ONLY looking at the idea of whether the bogus classes were specifically outlawed by the NCAA manual. That's so besides the point that it's a joke.

People need to look at the big picture and recognize that what Carolina did was to violate the very core principles that are clearly outlined in the NCAA manual and form the entire basis of fair competition. Principles like the Principle of "Fairness, Openness and Honesty", "Sound Academic Standards", "Principle of Rules Compliance", "Principle Governing Eligibility" etc.

The NCAA manual is criticized as being too long, and it might be, but it's simply not designed to specify every single potential infraction in detail. Instead it expects the institutions to adhere to core principles in terms upholding the stated goals and principles of the organization for which they are a member. The specific rules that are in place (most related to player eligibility, amateurism, recruiting etc.) are written with the understanding that the institutions themselves will not be involved in fraudulent or dishonest activities.

When Carolina is found to be completely negligent in upholding the core principles (which they clearly have), then frankly there's really no need to even cite a specific rule (even though again, many could be cited, especially for issues which the NCAA failed to adequately investigate).

Having someone claim that outright institutionalized fraud is 'technically not against the rules' is like a bank robber claiming that he did nothing wrong because when he was in the lobby of a bank he was about to rob, he saw a sign which only said to 'be quiet, don't chew gum, and wait for the next person in line'. In his mind because robbing the bank was not specifically listed, he should be found innocent.

It's such a bogus claim, but exactly the type of myopic argument that Bilas has tried to make, and for which for whatever reason Jones has bought hook line and sinker.

PS, the Penn State case has been brought up and was something which was discussed in detail on this board in the past. In that case the NCAA stepped in and punished the school even though there was no specific rules in the NCAA manual broken. At the time, and still today, I think the NCAA overstepped their bounds in that case. To me that was a criminal issue which the NCAA had no authority to stick their nose into. The ONLY reason they did was because it happened in the athletic department. If it had happened in the Math department or in the school of Nursing or in Facilities, it would have been handled completely differently. (i.e. by the criminal justice system in conjunction with the University administration)

But the UNC case is very different. For one, despite the claims by Bilas, UNC did indeed violate specific rules, even if you ONLY look at the relatively limit scope of issues that Wainstein investigated. For example UNC (as are all institutions) are required to certify that their athletes are academically eligible to compete each year. I would argue that by doing so with athletes that they either knew (or should have known) only met the minimal requirements with the aid of these bogus/suspect classes, that UNC administration itself was engaged in fraudulent and dishonest activities.

Secondly, while Penn State probably violated some core principles in the way they handled the Jerry Sandusky case, none of it directly impacted the eligibility of its student-athletes, and none of it affected the school's core focus of providing a quality education to those athletes. In UNC's case, their fraudulent activity not only affected, but it was the primary vehicle for keeping players playing, who otherwise would not have been eligible. And this in turn gave UNC a direct competitive advantage over it's rivals.

In such a case, the NCAA not only has the right, but they have the obligation to step in and punish the school which is clearly violating the core principles which they are expected to uphold. Otherwise the NCAA itself has failed to do its duty and there's no reason for it to exist.
Outstanding. You cut through the fog and chaffe UNC has thrown up and cut succinctly to the core issues perfectly. That is better, frankly, than anything I've seen written on the UNC scandal. I hope you do pursue this matter because you are doing a fantastic job. Thank you for posting that.

Reactions: preacherfan
This UNC case is proof positive of what UK fans have said for decades, that the NCAA has selective enforcement for certain schools.

Jay Bilas has become the spokesperson for ESPN and it's "selected" programs. UNC being the main one considering their president is a UNC alum.

It's sickening!!

Exactly. Where are the posters who have always said that there is no bias or favoritism?

Last edited:
Disappointed in MJ. Not so much Billas now, as I would have been a year ago; he's become too much of a puppet.

unc** is going to skate - and no one, with the power to do so, will do anything about it. Just as @preacherfan said, where are those posters who said there was no bias or favoritism? Ask Memphis, Minnesota, UGA, SMU, et al about how they were treated for far less.

Bilas is understandably an ACC guy , he doesn't want to damage that conference or the UNC Duke rivalry . But at some point you just have to be honest and stop clinging to technicalities because you prefer a certain outcome . The NCAA doesn't need exact rules for every single situation , it doesn't have to be worded precisely for punishment to be issued for cheating .

Nothing stopped the NCAA from nailing Marshall university for academic misconduct despite them also having regular students in the classrooms as well , explain that for us Jay . I'm sure it would be another bs answer like not knowing the particulars in that case and the NCAA doesn't use precedent . That case mirrors UNC's cheating more than any of the other academic scandals , give or take a couple of decades .

Never mind the NCAA hitting Georgia , Minnesota , FSU among others for academic benefits in their universities . Stop bending over backwards for UNC because nobody else would be getting that treatment .

If you want to keep the UNC lie in place because the thought of their reputation remaining intact makes for a better college image to you then you are part of the college problem . UK gets harassed by the NCAA for a game ball they give the head coach , so touch UNC , touch the NCAA and touch you for expecting us to buy that ish .

Reactions: JPScott
I'm beginning to think "touch" is a euphemism for something else

Really, sick of the whole unc** thing (yet here I am posting on it, again). But I do agree - every school who gets in trouble need to just thumb their noses at the ncaa**

thought it was time to give the ncaa** the same respect I give unc**

Reactions: Xception
Let Anthony Davis go on sports center and say he didn't go to class to make the deans list and let's see if the pos NCAA can find a rule then , I bet they can find the touching rule book then .
IF this same thing had been going on at KENTUCKY they would not be on tv or playing in the ncaa tourney for at least 5 years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have to ignore the fact that athletes were steered into fraudulent classes by administration and ignore the fact that they changed grades to keep athletes eligible. After you ignore that, you have to disregard common sense to get to the technicalities.
Ignoring facts to get to the technicalities is exactly what lawyers are trained to do. It's the whole Bill Clinton "depends on what is means" thing. Lawyers aren't taught to read and adhere to the law they are taught to manipulate the verbage into whatever they need for it to mean at the particular moment. The fact that a men's player was likely in the exact same classroom as a women's player and yet Jay wants us to believe these situations were different? Explain that to me. And if the university wasn't intentionally directing players into fake classes then explain to me why they would go through the trouble of creating fake classes in the first place. But of course that's common sense and we've already committed to not allowing that here.

This is not a courtroom where you need to prove guilt beyond a reasonable doubt , this is the court of public opinion and as long as the NCAA behaves the way they have been it's reasonable to think they tamper with any aspect of the game . So yeah you can take a message board post and buy into it without clear evidence . You also don't have to take every post on this board as fact , you can be selective .

The NCAAs actions come closer to supporting that they tamper with officiating than your claims that they aren't . The NCAA sent a UNC alumn to chapel hill to sound an alarm about clustering , why give them a heads up unless you want to tamper with the outcome and if your willing to do that do you really think it's any stretch at all to mess around with game outcomes . Clearly that behavior shows an interest in more than evenly handing out justice .

First, how can you be selective on a message board? I'm always going to need some kind of evidence. You can't just pick and choose what posts to believe and which to not believe. That seems like a pretty random way of getting true information. How do you know which posts are true and which are false if there is ZERO evidence provided? While I don't need anyone to go through a court room trial, I would need to see something before I just believe a random post. Doesn't that seem logical to you? However, that's completely irrelevant. If you want to believe everything on the forum without any kind of link or evidence, than that's your right to do so but for myself, I need at least something before I can call something fact. I'm not going to just read a post and believe that post without some kind of backing.

Second, your rationalization on the officiating corruption is just down right bizarre. Your argument for officiating corruption is they must be tampering because the NCAA sent a UNC alum to Chapel Hill ahead of the investigation? What sense does that make? Again, I will say this one more time because it hasn't seemed to get through to you.....the officials do not work for the NCAA. The NCAA does not employ the officials. They do not work for the NCAA. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be with that. So, the argument that the NCAA is corrupt in every aspect, thus the officiating must be corrupt is not a legit argument and is not a true statement. That has been your argument from past several posts and it's just not correct.

Lastly, in your statement you say...... "The NCAA actions come closer to supporting that they tamper with officiating than your claims that they aren't."

Im not sure what you mean by that statement but it cannot be true since the two parties do not work together. Whatever actions you are referring to with the NCAA would not reflect on the officials at all. They are 2 completely different entities.

If you are going to believe some random posts on the internet from someone that is not in business of this topic, why would you not choose to believe someone that has 20 years in the business of this topic? I don't quite understand that logic.

Bilas is understandably an ACC guy , he doesn't want to damage that conference or the UNC Duke rivalry . But at some point you just have to be honest and stop clinging to technicalities because you prefer a certain outcome . The NCAA doesn't need exact rules for every single situation , it doesn't have to be worded precisely for punishment to be issued for cheating .

Nothing stopped the NCAA from nailing Marshall university for academic misconduct despite them also having regular students in the classrooms as well , explain that for us Jay . I'm sure it would be another bs answer like not knowing the particulars in that case and the NCAA doesn't use precedent . That case mirrors UNC's cheating more than any of the other academic scandals , give or take a couple of decades .

Never mind the NCAA hitting Georgia , Minnesota , FSU among others for academic benefits in their universities . Stop bending over backwards for UNC because nobody else would be getting that treatment .

If you want to keep the UNC lie in place because the thought of their reputation remaining intact makes for a better college image to you then you are part of the college problem . UK gets harassed by the NCAA for a game ball they give the head coach , so touch UNC , touch the NCAA and touch you for expecting us to buy that ish .

Good post.

Reactions: sluggercatfan

Bilas is a company man. As soon as he signed on to be the number one commentator at ESPN he sold his soul. His boss is a Tar Heel of the Year winner named by Tar Heel magazine.

Matt is disinterested in this or he would actually look at all of the data and come to his own conclusion instead of parroting Bilas.

Bilas is a company man. As soon as he signed on to be the number one commentator at ESPN he sold his soul. His boss is a Tar Heel of the Year winner named by Tar Heel magazine.

Matt is disinterested in this or he would actually look at all of the data and come to his own conclusion instead of parroting Bilas.
Matt is lazy. Minimal research would tell you that Bilas is wrong. The amount of stuff he gets wrong is staggering, he never does research. If you are a radio host and your job is to talk about these subjects, at least research them first.

Bilas isn't any different than anyone that has a job with ESPN & NCAA, they all are covering up for North Carolina basketball & football for cheating .

Reactions: sluggercatfan
First, how can you be selective on a message board? I'm always going to need some kind of evidence. You can't just pick and choose what posts to believe and which to not believe. That seems like a pretty random way of getting true information. How do you know which posts are true and which are false if there is ZERO evidence provided? While I don't need anyone to go through a court room trial, I would need to see something before I just believe a random post. Doesn't that seem logical to you? However, that's completely irrelevant. If you want to believe everything on the forum without any kind of link or evidence, than that's your right to do so but for myself, I need at least something before I can call something fact. I'm not going to just read a post and believe that post without some kind of backing.

Second, your rationalization on the officiating corruption is just down right bizarre. Your argument for officiating corruption is they must be tampering because the NCAA sent a UNC alum to Chapel Hill ahead of the investigation? What sense does that make? Again, I will say this one more time because it hasn't seemed to get through to you.....the officials do not work for the NCAA. The NCAA does not employ the officials. They do not work for the NCAA. I'm not sure how much clearer I can be with that. So, the argument that the NCAA is corrupt in every aspect, thus the officiating must be corrupt is not a legit argument and is not a true statement. That has been your argument from past several posts and it's just not correct.

Lastly, in your statement you say...... "The NCAA actions come closer to supporting that they tamper with officiating than your claims that they aren't."

Im not sure what you mean by that statement but it cannot be true since the two parties do not work together. Whatever actions you are referring to with the NCAA would not reflect on the officials at all. They are 2 completely different entities.

If you are going to believe some random posts on the internet from someone that is not in business of this topic, why would you not choose to believe someone that has 20 years in the business of this topic? I don't quite understand that logic.
You are a believe it when you see it kind of person , you would be all in on Time magazines anointing Hitler as man of the year despite warnings to the contrary coming from columnists out of Europe . I mean there's no proof he's done anything wrong . You can't see a behavior pattern and extrapolate from that , that type is always shocked when the truth comes out . I wasn't surprised by the UNC scandal , I bet it blew your doors off . They haven't reported a single violation of any kind in decades , even perfect behavior is suspect . You can sit around waiting for physical evidence to reasonably suspect shenanigans , I don't need that to see what's likely .

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT