ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones on KSR this morning said Cal isnt close to AD Media or Boosters anymore

Wildcat-in-STL

All-American
Oct 28, 2012
All American Burger
Matt Jones on KSR earlier this morning started off saying Cal has kept his distance from the AD this entire time and now is distant from all the media which Cal is weird and a loner anyways so thats not too shocking but he has friends that were boosters and he's been distant from them too now.

Just curious. anyone thinks this sounds like someone who's checked out mentally already? it feels that way to me from this info.

Last edited:
I guess the real question is when did he started to do this? Was this recent or a slow gradual thing? I missed Matt Jones first hour.
with Barnhart, its been since day 1... thats why Peavy was such a blessing. With the media, i think it started in the 9 win season after the media and from the way Matt was saying it, the boosters /friends is something newer

Cal has thin skin, so he will naturally stay away from people who may question his approach.

He use to masterfully use the us vs the world approach, now he just comes off like the crazy guy.
And as soon as they put together a couple of victories, he turns into this obnoxious swaggy cow. Swaggy cow equals butt whipping coming.

And as soon as they put together a couple of victories, he turns into this obnoxious swaggy cow. Swaggy cow equals butt whipping coming.
Yeah, that has grinded me down over the years. UK wins some games, and Cal goes off on anyone who questioned his approach. Then radio silence after another bad loss. He has even passed that attitude off to the players in recent seasons.

Matt Jones on KSR earlier this morning started off saying Cal has kept his distance from the AD this entire time and now is distant from all the media which Cal is weird and a loner anyways so thats not too shocking but he has friends that were boosters and he's been distant from them too now.

Just curious. anyone thinks this sounds like someone who's checked out mentally already? it feels that way to me from this info.
So now MJ has good info? I can’t keep up. Is almost like if he says something that fits your agenda you like him. And if he says something you don’t like you hate him. Weird.

remember last year when he swore he'd change and then after the miracle best offensive games in UK history against KU and Tenn he gloated he didnt need to change and the fans know nothing, he didnt change and proved he didnt need to by those wins.......... only to struggle the last 3 weeks of the season and lose in the first round. and he still didnt change things after that fail
So now MJ has good info? I can’t keep up. Is almost like if he says something that fits your agenda you like him. And if he says something you don’t like you hate him. Weird.
You dont think the guy who runs the biggest UK media has these connections? If boosters were worried and wanted to get the word around.. where do they go? probably to the radio personality who has more listeners by far than UK fans on twitter and this message board.

This is what you do to make leaving easier.
Or maybe it’s just what you do when you don’t need them anymore.

Which is basically what Cal got when Mitch gave him that outlandishly lavish “lifetime” contract extension that made him impossible to fire and essentially accountable to nobody. Mitch pretty much surrendered all control over the program to Cal on that day.

I’m sure Cal would be far more responsive to the concerns of the AD, boosters and media if he genuinely had to worry about being fired each year. But his crazy contract had insulated him from that concern.

remember last year when he swore he'd change and then after the miracle best offensive games in UK history against KU and Tenn he gloated he didnt need to change and the fans know nothing, he didnt change and proved he didnt need to by those wins.......... only to struggle the last 3 weeks of the season and lose in the first round. and he still didnt change things after that fail

You dont think the guy who runs the biggest UK media has these connections? If boosters were worried and wanted to get the word around.. where do they go? probably to the radio personality who has more listeners by far than UK fans on twitter and this message board.
Every single thread about Jones is bashing him about how he knows nothing, has no inside info. Well which one is it?

To me, this is simple. Now, I could be wrong, but just what I think….

Cal has accomplished what he wanted to accomplish. Kentucky coach. Championship. Hall of Fame. Lifetime contract, set up for life. Children set for life.

He is done. Everything after becomes not as important. I don’t think he intentionally said “I’m done now.” I think it just creeps in. Less motivated. Relax more. Take more time off. Chill out. This leads to issues that compound. He realizes he’s in a hole, but not really motivated to climb out of it. So, he just goes with the flow. If he gets it turned around, good. He gives it the amount of effort he wants, but not as much as he would have prior. If he doesn’t get it turned around, no big deal, he’s set.

Even if there was a way to hold him accountable, he doesn’t care.

Cal has accomplished what he wanted to accomplish. Kentucky coach. Championship. Hall of Fame. Lifetime contract, set up for life. Children set for life.

He is done. Everything after becomes not as important. I don’t think he intentionally said “I’m done now.” I think it just creeps in. Less motivated. Relax more. Take more time off. Chill out. This leads to issues that compound. He realizes he’s in a hole, but not really motivated to climb out of it. So, he just goes with the flow. If he gets it turned around, good. He gives it the amount of effort he wants, but not as much as he would have prior. If he doesn’t get it turned around, no big deal, he’s set.

I honestly disagree. Winning a title puts you in the club. Winning 2 plus puts you in a different group. I think he wants another title. And they have been close so many times I think it’s worn on him. I think he walks away after next year.

with Barnhart, its been since day 1... thats why Peavy was such a blessing. With the media, i think it started in the 9 win season after the media and from the way Matt was saying it, the boosters /friends is something newer
I think the 9 win season made it real for administration, boosters and fans. We got a good look at how bad things could go. Thinking big picture I don't think Cal ever recovered or was the same after the 38 and 1 season. He was so close to legendary status but came up short. Cal being Cal covered it up and hid it from the world but it stayed with him. It has eaten away at him till he is only a shell of himself. He is consumed by what almost was.

This is exactly the way I see it.

It’s not uncommon for high performers and high level types in general to not be truly close to anyone other than family. They may appear to be tight with some but it’s rarely a truly tight relationship.

Reactions: chattanoogawildcat
Or maybe it’s just what you do when you don’t need them anymore.

Which is basically what Cal got when Mitch gave him that outlandishly lavish “lifetime” contract extension that made him impossible to fire and essentially accountable to nobody. Mitch pretty much surrendered all control over the program to Cal on that day.

I’m sure Cal would be far more responsive to the concerns of the AD, boosters and media if he genuinely had to worry about being fired each year. But his crazy contract had insulated him from that concern.
Here is what I'm curious about. I don't know which side you come down on, but there are people here who say Mitch didn't want Cal and was forced to hire him and then you have what Mike Pratt said, which gave Mitch credit for hiring Cal. The people who say Cal was forced on Mitch also say that's why Mitch doesn't directly manage Cal. If Mitch didn't want Cal to begin with, then it probably wasn't him who gave Cal the contract he has. If it was Mitch who hired Cal, then he is probably responsible for the contract. I've always believed Mike Pratt's version, but for people in the other camp, would you say Mitch was correct all along and that this contract would have been forced on him just like Cal was?

I know why some of you are leery of what Matt Jones may have said this morning but in this case I feel confident he knows what he is talking about, especially with boosters...Lots of moving pieces since the horn sounded at MSG Saturday night. Don't want to say anymore. There is hope for The Program.

I know why some of you are leery of what Matt Jones may have said this morning but in this case I feel confident he knows what he is talking about, especially with boosters...Lots of moving pieces since the horn sounded at MSG Saturday night. Don't want to say anymore. There is hope for The Program.
I hate these type of post. Either say it or GTFO

Hopefully not being close to the boosters make them gather up his buyout.

I would like to see Barnhart, media, and boosters have a “coming to Jesus” meeting with him.

Just all gang up on him in a room and throw daggers telling him how bad he does suck.
You would think that happens after this season sometime unless he pulls off a miracle run come March.

I hate these type of post. Either say it or GTFO
Yep, especially since these type posts usually end up being bullshit …from posters who just want folks to think they have the inside scoop.

If you know something, then say it. If you won’t say it, then shut up. Nobody wants to hear the “I know something you guys don’t” BS.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT