ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones is right about one thing

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
On the post game show he said Kentucky will not fire Cal. But said if Cal doesn’t have a good March it’s going to be even worse and he doesn’t see how it can continue.

I think he’s right, the only way Cal leaves Kentucky is if the fan base/boosters put pressure on him and make it unbearable to even coach here.

On the post game show he said Kentucky will not fire Cal. But said if Cal doesn’t have a good March it’s going to be even worse and he doesn’t see how it can continue.

I think he’s right, the only way Cal leaves Kentucky is if the fan base/boosters put pressure on him and make it unbearable to even coach here.

That won't work. They will have to pay him regardless.

We have been down this same road the past several years. Cal should have already feeling the heat from fans. I’ve been wanting him boo’d loudly at Rupp when announced as coach for like 4 years now, Start raining boos down on him hard, scream and yell at him from the stands to switch up ****ing defenses, get his ass out of town, call him a clown, just make his life miserable where he no longer wants to be here. We certainly don’t want him here any longer. He’s taking this program down in flames!!!!

We have been down this same road the past several years. Cal should have already feeling the heat from fans. I’ve been wanting him boo’d loudly at Rupp when announced as coach for like 4 years now, Start raining boos down on him hard, scream and yell at him from the stands to switch up ****ing defenses, get his ass out of town, call him a clown, just make his life miserable where he no longer wants to be here. We certainly don’t want him here any longer. He’s taking this program down in flames!!!!
Did you boo him tonight?

He's NOT walking away from 40 million dollars.

If this season implodes, I guess we'll see Rupp as empty as Commonwealth was for Joker next year?
We dropped our ST's of almost 2 decades three years ago...ticket office has called every year asking if we'd like to consider coming back or perhaps make a donation to the K Fund. Told them, we're not coming back or donating one cent until Calipari is gone!

this season is the tipping point, it’s been close for years now but this is it. I think people were waiting to see if Cal could maybe get back to his old ways with this group but it hasn’t happened.

I could be wrong but I think we might start hearing the boos at Rupp if/when they lose like they did tonight. And it won't be towards the players, it will be directed straight at His Highness. But His Highness will just grab his check and head to the bank...

Last edited:
I'm worried about this end of the Cal era. I used to love Cal, it makes me sad but all things end. Basketball has changed recently... many rule changes, shot clock for example has had a big effect on the game as well as the "modern offense (3s and layups, no long 2s)" has come to be.

Cal is a hall of famer, or should I say "was" a hall of famer .... IN HIS ERA. Before things changed... very few coaches of the history have been great throughout decades and era changes... separates the good from greats.

Mitch is the one who screwed us with the lifetime contract and that is what will go down in history as the real fault to all of this in my opinion. Not Cal, but mitch giving Cal the opportunity to overstay his welcome. Cal is a competitor and won't give up... his bad trait is stubborn ego. His stubborn ego is making him slow to adapt to what needs to be done, whether lineup issues, developing modern offense, developing new modern defense etc etc.

But the end of this Cal era will be nasty... the best end would be if Cal somehow made an elite 8 or final four this year and next and left on his own... but I feel like it's going to be sweet 16s at best and he stays 5 more years out of stubbornness and things will be really toxic and ugly between fans and UK.

Depressing.

I'm also afraid he could hold a grudge and try to leave our program bad somehow when he does leave... that's the fighter in him, hopefully he doesn't. Not sure how he would do that but still scares me.

When Cal leaves, you can take it to the bank, he will try and burn it to the ground on the way out.

He will pull out all the stops to soften the blow to his fragile ego...here's to it blowing up in his fat face.
Burning it to the ground will cost him 1 mil a year for life. He sorely needs to win on the way out. Otherwise he leaves in disgrace and that ambassador deal gets real weird. Kentucky may even have to buy him out of that.

Burning it to the ground will cost him 1 mil a year for life. He sorely needs to win on the way out. Otherwise he leaves in disgrace and that ambassador deal gets real weird. Kentucky may even have to buy him out of that.
If he leaves for another job, which is a distinct possibility, he's blowing it up...

Reactions: Fox2monk
I've been telling you guys the only way he leaves on his own is by smashing his ego. He can't stand being embarrassed. Attack him publicly in any way except physically. Boycott games, merchandise, TV. Call him and the administration out openly and by shutting off the donation spigot.

Mitch has to go as well. He really is feckless. Cals contract is on him. Mitch has set us up for a really ugly divorce. The man can't see a foot in front of him and lacks the general intelligence to protect and propel the greatest program in college basketball history.

At any rate, until Cals ego is bruised deeply enough, he isn't going anywhere.

When Cal leaves, you can take it to the bank, he will try and burn it to the ground on the way out.

He will pull out all the stops to soften the blow to his fragile ego...here's to it blowing up in his fat face.
He will absolutely deflect the blame on the administration the state and fans. He will delight in trying to destroy the program because his ego won’t allow him to accept responsibility for his failures. It won’t work because UK basketball is bigger than Cal

There's a faction of the fan base that believes Cal csn do no wrong. On the other hand, those with a deeper understanding of the game realize that despite having top recruits, it's glaringly evident each year that Cal and his staff lack coaching proficiency. Regrettably, it's time for a change; Cal is no longer effective.

I've been telling you guys the only way he leaves on his own is by smashing his ego. He can't stand being embarrassed. Attack him publicly in any way except physically. Boycott games, merchandise, TV. Call him and the administration out openly and by shutting off the donation spigot.

Mitch has to go as well. He really is feckless. Cals contract is on him. Mitch has set us up for a really ugly divorce. The man can't see a foot in front of him and lacks the general intelligence to protect and propel the greatest program in college basketball history.

At any rate, until Cals ego is bruised deeply enough, he isn't going anywhere.
Unfortunately, this is where Mitch forced us. We have to go full Joker mode now because the contract prevents necessary accountability. Mitch is the architect of this cluster, so there’s no reason he shouldn’t go first.

That’s not correct. The ambassador option runs out in 2029 too.

I can think of 9 million reasons CCC won’t resign.

Something else the fans will have to do is stop going to games. Let the team play in front of a half empty or worse arena. That will show up on TV and you know ESPN and CBS would make a big deal of it. Fans will have to not renew their season tickets. Hit Mitch hard in the wallet.

The irony is he could use the portal along with a an elite recruit or two to get back to what made him successful. But he is not that grinder guy anymore, he wants the notoriety of coaching possible all-stars.
Here’s the thing though. If these guys accomplish nothing teamwise at UK and I can’t see that they learned much from Cal in 9 months. If they go on to be NBA All-Stars, it wasn’t Cal that got them there, it was their own talent, desire and work ethic. Guys who become NBA stars have always had something and they just needed to harness it. I don’t think 9 months with Cal took them from nothing to greatness.

Most of these guys already had it in them and would have gotten to the league in any number of other scenarios. Cal helps somewhat in the process. He isn’t turning guys with nothing into NBA All Stars, that just isn’t happening. I can’t give Cal much credit for that. Sorry! He’s recruiting NBA All Stars, he’s not making NBA All Stars.

Last edited:
That won't work. They will have to pay him regardless.
They only would have to pay him the buyout if they fire him. If it happens as OP says, Cal would be leaving on his own. You are correct that in the situation stated by the OP, he would most likely get some money through negotiation , but it would be much less than what he is owed.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
Apparently cal has a option in his contract where after this year where he can choose to step down and go directly in the ambassador role for the program
Yeah but he ain't going anywhere until he passes Rupp as the winningest coach at UK. It's somewhere around 29 games now. Could be next season or longer, how much longer depends on Cal’s coaching. Yikes!

Here’s the thing though. If these guys accomplish nothing teamwise at UK and I can’t see that they learned much from Cal in 9 months. If they go on to be NBA All-Stars, it wasn’t Cal that got them there, it was their own talent, desire and work ethic. Guys who become NBA stars have always had something and they just needed to harness it. I don’t think 9 months with Cal took them from nothing to greatness.

Most of these guys already had it in them and would have gotten to the league in any number of other scenarios. Cal helps somewhat in the process. He isn’t turning guys with nothing into NBA All Stars, that just isn’t happening. I can’t give Cal much credit for that. Sorry! He’s recruiting NBA All Stars, he’s not making NBA All Stars.
I agree, I think he used to contribute some by making them tougher but that gone. Just saying he would rather attach himself to a guys that are 3-5years away from being stars that finding tough skilled players that could help us win games.

Reactions: Fox2monk and G-PIP
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT