ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones is right about one thing

He will absolutely deflect the blame on the administration the state and fans. He will delight in trying to destroy the program because his ego won’t allow him to accept responsibility for his failures. It won’t work because UK basketball is bigger than Cal
Yeah….and that isn’t going to shock me a bit. When you lie, kneel, duck fans call in shows, etc..he’s showed that lack of character for a while

But what I don’t get is how is that burning anything to the ground like many predict?

Burning to the ground would be intentionally trying to ruin future recruiting opportunities, telling of institutional cheating/scandal to hurt future teams, etc.

I think we all get that the year he leaves will not have a ton of talent as his rosters are almost always year to year overhauls (which is part of why we can’t win big).

I just don’t see the burning to the ground stuff people are fretting over

A lot of you guys are going to be disappointed when Cal is still on the sideline for the next 5 years. He isn't leaving 9 mil a year on the table, no matter how much "pressure" you all think you can put on him. And no one at UK is going to authorize a buyout until it's down to around the 10 million mark.

Also, ticket sales for basketball isn't a major revenue generator to the UK athletics budget. Basketball makes almost all of its money off tv deals, which are already contracted for several years to come. Regardless of whether fans attend the games or not, it won't be felt for several years economically.

I'm worried about this end of the Cal era. I used to love Cal, it makes me sad but all things end. Basketball has changed recently... many rule changes, shot clock for example has had a big effect on the game as well as the "modern offense (3s and layups, no long 2s)" has come to be.

Cal is a hall of famer, or should I say "was" a hall of famer .... IN HIS ERA. Before things changed... very few coaches of the history have been great throughout decades and era changes... separates the good from greats.

Mitch is the one who screwed us with the lifetime contract and that is what will go down in history as the real fault to all of this in my opinion. Not Cal, but mitch giving Cal the opportunity to overstay his welcome. Cal is a competitor and won't give up... his bad trait is stubborn ego. His stubborn ego is making him slow to adapt to what needs to be done, whether lineup issues, developing modern offense, developing new modern defense etc etc.

But the end of this Cal era will be nasty... the best end would be if Cal somehow made an elite 8 or final four this year and next and left on his own... but I feel like it's going to be sweet 16s at best and he stays 5 more years out of stubbornness and things will be really toxic and ugly between fans and UK.

Depressing.

I'm also afraid he could hold a grudge and try to leave our program bad somehow when he does leave... that's the fighter in him, hopefully he doesn't. Not sure how he would do that but still scares me.
I’ve never “loved” Cal but he brought me a lot of good times the first half of his stint so I just can’t crack on him because of that but he’s ruining his legacy and ruining it for us so he needs to move on but we’re stuck because of Barnyard.

Reactions: dynastydreamuk
We dropped our ST's of almost 2 decades three years ago...ticket office has called every year asking if we'd like to consider coming back or perhaps make a donation to the K Fund. Told them, we're not coming back or donating one cent until Calipari is gone!
That interesting. We dropped our football tickets after 40 years 2 years ago and UK calling me all the time about getting tickets again. I understand this for football but surprised to read they doing that to Past Season ticket holders in basketball. This really shows what Cal has done to the Program.

I don’t even care if we go far in the tourney, it’s time for a change

This is kind of where my mind has shifted. Even if some miracle were to occur and something just clicked and we made a run to FF or won the thing, it is time.

There is just way too much drama yearly. The whole thing is just stale. I was hopeful Cals willingness to change the offense meant he'd be willing to change parts of his entire philosophy, he won't.

He has players out "sick" sitting on the bench. Makes no sense. He won't adjust his defense even if someone held a gun to his head. He won't send a message to players bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

He is a shell of the coach he used to be and anything changing would be from the script of a Disney movie.

This is kind of where my mind has shifted. Even if some miracle were to occur and something just clicked and we made a run to FF or won the thing, it is time.

There is just way too much drama yearly. The whole thing is just stale. I was hopeful Cals willingness to change the offense meant he'd be willing to change parts of his entire philosophy, he won't.

He has players out "sick" sitting on the bench. Makes no sense. He won't adjust his defense even if someone held a gun to his head. He won't send a message to players bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

He is a shell of the coach he used to be and anything changing would be from the script of a Disney movie.
You’d think if a player was “sick” you wouldnt want him near the rest of the team.

On the post game show he said Kentucky will not fire Cal. But said if Cal doesn’t have a good March it’s going to be even worse and he doesn’t see how it can continue.

I think he’s right, the only way Cal leaves Kentucky is if the fan base/boosters put pressure on him and make it unbearable to even coach here.

Fans should boo Cal anytime they say his name on the loudspeaker home and away.

A lot of you guys are going to be disappointed when Cal is still on the sideline for the next 5 years. He isn't leaving 9 mil a year on the table, no matter how much "pressure" you all think you can put on him. And no one at UK is going to authorize a buyout until it's down to around the 10 million mark.

Also, ticket sales for basketball isn't a major revenue generator to the UK athletics budget. Basketball makes almost all of its money off tv deals, which are already contracted for several years to come. Regardless of whether fans attend the games or not, it won't be felt for several years economically.
A empty Arena cannot be ignored on a TV broadcast. Look at the Yum Center. I say pay him his 9 million a year, but, make him team manager. Nothing in his contract says we have to allow him to Coach.

A empty Arena cannot be ignored on a TV broadcast. Look at the Yum Center. I say pay him his 9 million a year, but, make him team manager. Nothing in his contract says we have to allow him to Coach.
Sure it can, UL is literally ignoring it. Will they fire pain at the end of the season? Maybe. But it seems like there are a lot of internal people that don't want that, even with the empty stadium. Go watch a UCLA game sometime. Place is a ghost town most games. They still exist.

I am pretty sure his contract says what job he was hired for and his duties/responsibilities. Moving him to a different job would be a breach of that more than likely.

That interesting. We dropped our football tickets after 40 years 2 years ago and UK calling me all the time about getting tickets again. I understand this for football but surprised to read they doing that to Past Season ticket holders in basketball. This really shows what Cal has done to the Program.
They're still playing the lottery angle, which hasn't been a reality for years...anyone who wants them can get season tickets...everyone's a winner now, especially if you open the checkbook.

Once they changed the tax laws to where you can now no longer deduct tickets off your taxes, and only a portion of your K Fund, which is associated to the purchase of tickets, there was a mass exodus...not only here but in every sport everywhere.

For years we were concerned about our rank in K Fund status to upgrade our seats, and we finally made it to the lower level right before Covid...once there, we wished we were back in the rafters with the real fans, especially after the new seats went in. Lower level is full of entitlement, tweens running back and forth all game and a smaller seat than the uppers, albeit cushioned, the experience is lackluster.

After being away for a while, I can say I don't miss the 2 hour drives home after a 9pm ass whipping or having to struggle to sell or find someone to even give tickets to, so they don't go to waste...that is a real drag, ask any other ST holder. We've also found a use for the annual $4500 we save - first year we bought a 85" TV for about half of what tickets for 1 year costs.

Being older now, not sure we'll ever go back to being ST holders, even with a nice discount and 1/2 off K Fund, at the moment it's not appealing at all. If we every did go back, we'd want lower middle uppers and would want to find someone to split a package with, because 20 games is too much when you don't live near Rupp.

Yeah but he ain't going anywhere until he passes Rupp as the winningest coach at UK. It's somewhere around 29 games now. Could be next season or longer, how much longer depends on Cal’s coaching. Yikes!
Brother…Cal has about 475 more wins to catch Rupp for wins as UK coach. Now if you’re talking overall, I gotcha. Still about 70 or so short.

They're still playing the lottery angle, which hasn't been a reality for years...anyone who wants them can get season tickets...everyone's a winner now, especially if you open the checkbook.

Once they changed the tax laws to where you can now no longer deduct tickets off your taxes, and only a portion of your K Fund, which is associated to the purchase of tickets, there was a mass exodus...not only here but in every sport everywhere.

For years we were concerned about our rank in K Fund status to upgrade our seats, and we finally made it to the lower level right before Covid...once there, we wished we were back in the rafters with the real fans, especially after the new seats went in. Lower level is full of entitlement, tweens running back and forth all game and a smaller seat than the uppers, albeit cushioned, the experience is lackluster.

After being away for a while, I can say I don't miss the 2 hour drives home after a 9pm ass whipping or having to struggle to sell or find someone to even give tickets to, so they don't go to waste...that is a real drag, ask any other ST holder. We've also found a use for the annual $4500 we save - first year we bought a 85" TV for about half of what tickets for 1 year costs.

Being older now, not sure we'll ever go back to being ST holders, even with a nice discount and 1/2 off K Fund, at the moment it's not appealing at all. If we every did go back, we'd want lower middle uppers and would want to find someone to split a package with, because 20 games is too much when you don't live near Rupp.
Same experience here CP. Held lowers, but gave them up several years ago. Too much money, too many popcorn state games, too many low energy people showing up late and getting up and down all the time, a totally repetitive, non-creative atmosphere, big hassle to sell tickets, and of course the on-court results of Cal doing anything but actually coaching. I won't ever go back to season tickets and most likely won't spend any dollars until the current guy is gone. How people can rationalize sinking 5-10K year after year for the product currently being offered is rather mindblowing.

I have said this for YEARS and people get pissed at me...lol.
He acts like we're a bunch of ignorant hicks that knows nothing about basketball ( like the Mempis fans ) I have said for years there are high school coaches in Kentucky that are much better in game coaches than he is. My old high school coach would coach rings around him
I have agreed with that sentiment since 2010 when he fielded an NBA team with Wall, Cousins, Bledsoe, Patterson, and Miller and couldn't win the title.

Reactions: crestcat
Same experience here CP. Held lowers, but gave them up several years ago. Too much money, too many popcorn state games, too many low energy people showing up late and getting up and down all the time, a totally repetitive, non-creative atmosphere, big hassle to sell tickets, and of course the on-court results of Cal doing anything but actually coaching. I won't ever go back to season tickets and most likely won't spend any dollars until the current guy is gone. How people can rationalize sinking 5-10K year after year for the product currently being offered is rather mindblowing.
Yep, it went from being exciting and rewarding to dull and painful. Like a lot of things in life, you don't realize how much you actually don't miss it, until it's gone.

No more washing hands in a sink where you have to hold it on with one hand and wash with the other.

No more $7 sodas and $6 slice of gas station pizza ripoffs when you're starving and running late for a 7pm tipoff and live over 100 miles away.

No more looking for parking spots, dealing with jerk blue coats and waiting 45 minutes in traffic to get to the interstate and have to work in the morning.

Completely wrong

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot

You couldn't be more wrong

NYan2gt.png

Is there an AD who would hire him as their basketball coach ??
If the price is right, I'm sure there are a lot of schools who would be happy with 24-12 records and a chance to actually get to a tourney game, be it NCAA or NIT.

We have different standards and Calipari no longer meets the minimum requirements of those standards.

WpBcW6K.png

I guess you forgot about 2014. This team is way more talented and has way more size. I think this will be a repeat of 2014.
You understand if they don’t but those very lucky shots we would’ve lost early in the tournament? The tournament is all based off luck, some teams get lucky and others don’t. This group is very different from 2014 and do you expect them to hit multiple game winning shots to send us to the title game?

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
It seems to me that about 5% of the posters here think Cal can do no wrong and another 5% think he is the personification of evil. Most of us lie somewhere between, seeing the coaching problems and wishing things to turn out the best for UK.

I would like to see Cal resign since he doesn't seem to be the coach he used to be(for instance, while he never switched up defenses, he did at one time know how to teach a team to play good man to man defense), but I don't want to trash the program or the man. I'd like a new coach next year but I don't want that bad enough to root for us to lose games this year.

March performance cures all ills. It's his under performance there that is the cause of all the heat. Not losing some regular season games.

No one will remember that Uconn dropped 6 games in Feb, just that they won the title.

If he had went to the FF instead of choke to St Peters, not nearly as many people would be up in arms.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT