ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Jones is right about one thing

Surely cal won’t hang around until he is 80. Doesn’t UK have a mandatory retirement age. Isn’t that what forced Rupp out
Rupp was in really bad health, he had cancer, diabetes and had gout so bad, he had to wear house shoes on the bench. He needed to retire for his own well being and it was impracticable for him to continue.

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
Rupp was in really bad health, he had cancer, diabetes and had gout so bad, he had to wear house shoes on the bench. He needed to retire for his own well being and it was impracticable for him to continue.
But is the rule still in effect? And I have to wonder if such a rule would stand up in court if challenged...not saying it would or would not, just that I don't know.

This mantra needs to die. The regular season means a whole helluva lot. SEC Championships matter! #1 seeds matter! It all matters to UK fans.
I would also add that the opening 4 minutes matter. If you get outscored by 14 in the 1st 4 minutes you might not be able to recover; you might wind up losing by 11. That's why starting your best lineup matters.

But is the rule still in effect? And I have to wonder if such a rule would stand up in court if challenged...not saying it would or would not, just that I don't know.
It's a totally different world now, than it was in 1972...legal challenges to ageism laws could be brought, but I'm sure could be countered by competency allegations.

I don't think we'll have to worry about Cal's retirement age...he's already 64 and has 5 years on a contract which almost assuredly will never reach fulfillment.

I'm worried about this end of the Cal era. I used to love Cal, it makes me sad but all things end. Basketball has changed recently... many rule changes, shot clock for example has had a big effect on the game as well as the "modern offense (3s and layups, no long 2s)" has come to be.

Cal is a hall of famer, or should I say "was" a hall of famer .... IN HIS ERA. Before things changed... very few coaches of the history have been great throughout decades and era changes... separates the good from greats.

Mitch is the one who screwed us with the lifetime contract and that is what will go down in history as the real fault to all of this in my opinion. Not Cal, but mitch giving Cal the opportunity to overstay his welcome. Cal is a competitor and won't give up... his bad trait is stubborn ego. His stubborn ego is making him slow to adapt to what needs to be done, whether lineup issues, developing modern offense, developing new modern defense etc etc.

But the end of this Cal era will be nasty... the best end would be if Cal somehow made an elite 8 or final four this year and next and left on his own... but I feel like it's going to be sweet 16s at best and he stays 5 more years out of stubbornness and things will be really toxic and ugly between fans and UK.

Depressing.

I'm also afraid he could hold a grudge and try to leave our program bad somehow when he does leave... that's the fighter in him, hopefully he doesn't. Not sure how he would do that but still scares me.
I agree with this 100%. Really well stated. It was awesome when Cal was at the top of the mountain in 2012, but nothing lasts forever.

There's a faction of the fan base that believes Cal csn do no wrong. On the other hand, those with a deeper understanding of the game realize that despite having top recruits, it's glaringly evident each year that Cal and his staff lack coaching proficiency. Regrettably, it's time for a change; Cal is no longer effective.
Your deeper understanding is apparent......

Reactions: Cowtown Cat
On the post game show he said Kentucky will not fire Cal. But said if Cal doesn’t have a good March it’s going to be even worse and he doesn’t see how it can continue.

I think he’s right, the only way Cal leaves Kentucky is if the fan base/boosters put pressure on him and make it unbearable to even coach here.
Boo him at the game

This mantra needs to die. The regular season means a whole helluva lot. SEC Championships matter! #1 seeds matter! It all matters to UK fans.
And because of what you said, which is very true, what coach wants to come here and put up with all of us fans? Normally I would say that's a stupid thing to even think no less say. But the game has changed so much you don't just coach at UK. You wear so many hats who wants to deal with all of it?

Having said that, do we need/want a younger coach or an established one?

This is kind of where my mind has shifted. Even if some miracle were to occur and something just clicked and we made a run to FF or won the thing, it is time.

There is just way too much drama yearly. The whole thing is just stale. I was hopeful Cals willingness to change the offense meant he'd be willing to change parts of his entire philosophy, he won't.

He has players out "sick" sitting on the bench. Makes no sense. He won't adjust his defense even if someone held a gun to his head. He won't send a message to players bringing absolutely nothing to the table.

He is a shell of the coach he used to be and anything changing would be from the script of a Disney movie.

If you would’ve told me Cal was going to be here 15 years in 2014 or whenever, I would’ve said we’d have 3 championships minimum. What a mess of a legacy he’s leaving, what a complete collapse. Would’ve never in a million years predicted this. I mean what the hell else does he need in a roster to form a competitive team? Cal in 2011 would have this team top 5, current Cal would have the 2011 team in the NIT. I mean at one point the guy rode Brandon Knight and Josh Harrelson to a damn FF.

On the post game show he said Kentucky will not fire Cal. But said if Cal doesn’t have a good March it’s going to be even worse and he doesn’t see how it can continue.

I think he’s right, the only way Cal leaves Kentucky is if the fan base/boosters put pressure on him and make it unbearable to even coach here.
Ccc will not leave on his own. He thinks he is the greatest. If he has one of the major boosters on his side, uk won’t do anything

Folks forget...he holds ALL the cards. 40 million. He can destroy this program.

We have been down this same road the past several years. Cal should have already feeling the heat from fans. I’ve been wanting him boo’d loudly at Rupp when announced as coach for like 4 years now, Start raining boos down on him hard, scream and yell at him from the stands to switch up ****ing defenses, get his ass out of town, call him a clown, just make his life miserable where he no longer wants to be here. We certainly don’t want him here any longer. He’s taking this program down in flames!!!!
Fun guy alert

It seems to me that about 5% of the posters here think Cal can do no wrong and another 5% think he is the personification of evil. Most of us lie somewhere between, seeing the coaching problems and wishing things to turn out the best for UK.

I would like to see Cal resign since he doesn't seem to be the coach he used to be(for instance, while he never switched up defenses, he did at one time know how to teach a team to play good man to man defense), but I don't want to trash the program or the man. I'd like a new coach next year but I don't want that bad enough to root for us to lose games this year.
There have been several polls in the last couple of years.

The general consensus on this board is 80% of people want Cal gone.

And because of what you said, which is very true, what coach wants to come here and put up with all of us fans? Normally I would say that's a stupid thing to even think no less say. But the game has changed so much you don't just coach at UK. You wear so many hats who wants to deal with all of it?

Having said that, do we need/want a younger coach or an established one?
This mess is NOT, repeat NOT, the fault of the fans. Flush that bullcrap.

who poked first? This proves me right all the more!!!! Don’t go poking any more bears!!!!
Second award of the day the Most Right on the Internet award. Congrats you've earned it.

Wait....so you're a bear now???? Again, I'm not even sure what this means.

Second award of the day the Most Right on the Internet award. Congrats you've earned it.

Wait....so you're a bear now???? Again, I'm not even sure what this means.
I’m just having fun. You did call me the fun guy, right?

I hate the “you can’t fire Cal” posts more than the sunshine pumping posts.
My personal top 3 from the losers…

1. It doesn’t matter who starts.
2. Coach so and so isn’t leaving so and so place to come coach at UK.
3. Cal can’t/ won’t be fired.

The losers have already been wrong about #1, are about to be wrong “potentially” about #3, and shortly thereafter, they will be wrong once again about #2.

He's NOT walking away from 40 million dollars.

This. People think it will get embarrassing enough but it won't. That's a massive amount of money and no amount of shame will cause him to leave it behind nor should it. The insane contract isn't his fault.

The other part is cal doesn't feel shame in the way we fans think he should. That's because he doesn't see himself to blame. It's always someone else that's at fault.

So before you even consider if he'd walk away from 40 mil, you have to consider he doesn't see self accountability at all.

I do think it will get bad enough where we end up massively overpaying him to agree to retire. That's the best that will happen. Then as a poster said, he will burn it down on the way out. All the "UK guys" will just be "calipari guys".

This. People think it will get embarrassing enough but it won't. That's a massive amount of money and no amount of shame will cause him to leave it behind nor should it. The insane contract isn't his fault.

The other part is cal doesn't feel shame in the way we fans think he should. That's because he doesn't see himself to blame. It's always someone else that's at fault.

So before you even consider if he'd walk away from 40 mil, you have to consider he doesn't see self accountability at all.

I do think it will get bad enough where we end up massively overpaying him to agree to retire. That's the best that will happen. Then as a poster said, he will burn it down on the way out. All the "UK guys" will just be "calipari guys".
😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡😡

• Haha
Reactions: Disappointed Cat
He's NOT walking away from 40 million dollars.
I wouldn't be so sure - wherever he would leave for is going to pay him, and pay him very very well. I also wouldn't underestimate his desire to "stick it to Kentucky" by leaving (if it's for a different college team) and beating Kentucky, on the court and with recruiting. I'm sure he'd loooooooove to show a certain segment of BBN what's what

Could a poor March and a fanbase/booster revolt drive him to the NBA? Very possible, but I have my doubts with how many NBA teams want to hire a failed, short-stint former pro coach at Cal's age. No shortage of professional coaches looking for jobs/promotions.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT