ADVERTISEMENT

Mark Stoops names Terry Wilson starting QB

Does this have anything to do with Landon Young's injury? Wilson's mobility being a saving grace

Glad to see Terry win the job. One minor thing that stands out to me as a concern on the depth chart is the starting Y receiver being a senior who to date hasn't played. I know we probably won't see many 4 receiver sets but that just seems odd

MVP of camp. Demonstrate it consistently and you play. Good to see.

More of an inaccurate QB that cannot hit receivers in stride. The main thing that is separating this program from moving forward is high level QB play. Steven Johnson was tough and a great leader but was a "manager". We need a QB to take us to the next level, I am not 100% sure it is Hoak but we need a QB that can complete the simple passes to the receivers in positions that the they can run and make plays.

I hope I am wrong,and will freely admit if I am.

SJ described as a manager defies his many amazing contributions. Disagree.

the depth chart says Price or Watkins so my hunch is the play both of them some and see how it goes.

That will be an interesting spot to watch. They might move Big George to the left and have Price and Watkins man the right side given that they will have a bit less experience. If they don't do that, then it really is some very good testament to how much depth we really have at LOT.

That will be an interesting spot to watch. They might move Big George to the left and have Price and Watkins man the right side given that they will have a bit less experience. If they don't do that, then it really is some very good testament to how much depth we really have at LOT.

Nope George is a right tackle all the way.

SJ described as a manager defies his many amazing contributions. Disagree.

Johnson was a hell of a competitor, but we have to admit that he had a lot of shortcomings when it came to throwing the ball. He averaged just 177 yards per game, and only finished with 200+ passing yards in 4 games (UK was 2-2 in those games). He had just 10 touchdowns through the air, which was tied for third fewest by an SEC quarterback with over 100 completions.

Part of his issue was really more about inconsistency throwing. In the Missouri game he was pretty darn good, but then in the Tennessee game he had something like 50 or 60 yards through the air. We don't need Wilson to be a Drew Lock and throw 44 touchdowns, but something like a Bentley, averaging 215 yards per game and throwing for 18 touchdowns would be a solid improvement.

Reactions: ganner918 and Hjack
Does this have anything to do with Landon Young's injury? Wilson's mobility being a saving grace

Stoops was asked that at the press conference and his answer was that it did not have anything to do with Young's injury.

That was always a problem to me, in that Hoak was behind Barker, who had never fully recovered from a broken back; and Johnson, who was beat to a pulp by mid season . . . and still couldn't get any playing time in 2017.
yep, nutshell. Seems like I read Johnson had 12 major surgeries after the season, had blown 6 ligaments in each knee, 3 totally dysfunctional shoulders, couldn't lift the ball higher than his ankles, plus a tonsillectomy, and still, Hoak couldn't beat him out. not a great sign.

If we don’t score first play will we hear bring Gunnar in..lol
If we don’t score first play will we hear bring Gunnar in..lol
tumblr_ntnrklnrlr1ql5yr7o1_r1_500.gif

yep, nutshell. Seems like I read Johnson had 12 major surgeries after the season, had blown 6 ligaments in each knee, 3 totally dysfunctional shoulders, couldn't lift the ball higher than his ankles, plus a tonsillectomy, and still, Hoak couldn't beat him out. not a great sign.
You forgot about his appendectomy.

Reactions: Mojocat
Johnson was a hell of a competitor, but we have to admit that he had a lot of shortcomings when it came to throwing the ball. He averaged just 177 yards per game, and only finished with 200+ passing yards in 4 games (UK was 2-2 in those games). He had just 10 touchdowns through the air, which was tied for third fewest by an SEC quarterback with over 100 completions.

Part of his issue was really more about inconsistency throwing. In the Missouri game he was pretty darn good, but then in the Tennessee game he had something like 50 or 60 yards through the air. We don't need Wilson to be a Drew Lock and throw 44 touchdowns, but something like a Bentley, averaging 215 yards per game and throwing for 18 touchdowns would be a solid improvement.

He was not a pure pocket passer and he had shortcomings in the passing game. He was an exceptional runner and in key moments was “the man.” He made plays by himself. And, when he had experienced deep threats, he got the ball down the field for big plays.

I just don’t view that as a game manager. To me a game manager is a limited pocket passer who minimalizes mistakes and lets other players move the ball.

Reactions: mattrudd
The returning cast around him should make his debut much easier.
My biggest hope is that he is truly a gamer.
This. Terry has tremendous upside. Giving him this caliber supporting cast is going to pay dividends. Theyll pick him up when hes down and a few years from now Terry will be the vet we need back there to do some serious damage.

Stoops is Building this roster the right way. Landon goes down, we got an elite guy who was at USC filling in. This is progress folks.

Last edited:
This is great news. I think Stoops was looking for the best passer more than a runner since we will have a top 10 run game already. If he beat out Gunner then that means he is doing great passing in practice.

This makes me more excited than I was and I was pumps for the season. I think we are going to blow some teams!!!!

We’ve had for years a miserable time stopping dual threat QB’s. Now we have one. Hopefully we will be able to make it very difficult for teams to deal with us. Time will tell

And SJ was not a real dual threat QB he was too frail but was tough as nails. If TW can make some throws this could be a fun offense to watch

He was not a pure pocket passer and he had shortcomings in the passing game. He was an exceptional runner and in key moments was “the man.” He made plays by himself. And, when he had experienced deep threats, he got the ball down the field for big plays.

I just don’t view that as a game manager. To me a game manager is a limited pocket passer who minimalizes mistakes and lets other players move the ball.

He certainly made plays in plenty of games. I think his problem was more that he wasn't extremely consistent, especially passing, and due to that he sometimes became a bit more of a manager at times. However, I don't think that title defines his overall play.

Not surprised...speed not Benny's forte and is supposed to be Terry's
It is not Benny it was defensive back but video is so funny.

The player filming starts saying Terry.. Terry .. Terry about 30 times while Terry is flying around the track.

Benny was out there watching shaking his head and Terry said they wanted me to run track at Oregon but I didn’t want too. Benny just shakes his head like Wow...

It’s would be a good video to add if someone can find it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT