ADVERTISEMENT

MARK STOOPS & COACHES

UL fans aren't thumping their chest but it shows they are closing the gap. When you're growing a program, closing the gap on the teams ahead of you is important. It's important for our football program to continue to make strides. If you can close the gap and be competitive with UGA and Bama, then you have most likely climbed into a new tier in terms of success.

Take Florida and Kentucky as an example. In the 5 years prior to Stoops arrive, Florida beat us 63-5, 41-7, 48-14, 48-10 and 38-0. In Stoops first 5 years, we went 0-5 against UF, but we also closed the gap losing 24-7, 36-30, 14-9, 45-7, 28-27. Outside of the 1 loss, it showed our program was making strides to even the playing field with Florida. In the next 6 years, we beat UF 4 out of 6 years. Closing the gap on programs that have traditionally kicked your ass is a sign of progress, hoping for the next step like we did with Florida,

Your basketball analogy doesn't fit here because we haven't been chasing UNC and Kansas to get to their level.

I just disagree completely that if our football team closes the gap on Bama and UGA, that it doesn't show signs that are program is drastically improving.
Did we close the gap on Florida as much as they fell backwards to our level? You're making it sound like it's all the former and none of the latter. I'm sure it's at least 50-50. We still can't beat Tennessee and we still suffer inexplicable losses every season - South Carolina? Hello?

Did we close the gap on Florida as much as they fell backwards to our level? You're making it sound like it's all the former and none of the latter. I'm sure it's at least 50-50. We still can't beat Tennessee and we still suffer inexplicable losses every season - South Carolina? Hello?
Zero excuse for USC. Zero excuse for bad losses. Those are unacceptable. My comment was specific to the poster who said there was no difference between losing by 50 or 3 to Bama and UGA on a consistent basis as a sign to where the program is.

Agree about Florida. We have beaten 1 top 10 Florida team. In our 30 year streak with them, 1/3 of the Florida teams we lost to finished the season unranked. So, while they have taken a step back, they didn’t always field great teams against us.

Last edited:
Certainly can see a point to your post. I am not exactly sure what “pissing” looks like at Kentucky football TBH but I assume you mean win the SEC?

One crazy point I want to make about your post though is how wild is it that back to back 7-5 seasons are considered really bad?

I think that is extreme, but I think the consensus is the last two seasons were a disappointment and that says a lot about the program under stoops considering pre-stoops back to back 7-5 seasons would be a monumental success.
When you consider the quality of wins....

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
Stoops is the winningest football coach in UK history.

Stoops has averaged 7-5 per season since he's been here. That's what you can expect going forward. Stoops will not get better than he's been.

Some people are okay with that. Some are not.
correct me if I'm wrong, but he may be the most losing coach as well.... If so then props to him for being around for so long.... HOWEVER, I'm one of those that feels its as good as its ever gonna' get...

Same analogy to those that loved Wheeler when he was here; i.e. "has the most assists in the SEC and transferring from GA.... " but ".... has the most turnovers...." as well... and can't shoot consistently from outside,... and is tiny... and will get posted up.... and may win some games for ya' at the end, but will also lose the same amount...

However you want to slice the argument....

Go CATS!

Reactions: R.O.T.Muckinfush
When you consider the quality of wins....

What would you consider a good season?

What would you consider worse than “really bad?”

1-2 wins under expectations in my opinion doesn’t constitute “really bad” is all I am saying.

This would mean I assume 9-3 is what you expected and 10-2 would be “good” and maybe 11-1 great?

2-18 : Mark Stoops record against top 10 opponents. With wins against a Florida #9 team that finished unranked and was highly overrated and a U of L team which let's face it was definitely overrated ( per all the "acc sucks" comments on here and comments by stoops himself)

Sorry, the guy don't walk on water. Has been a good coach and built it to this point but can't win the big games consistently or hardly even at all, and to be honest loses most of them in embarrassing fashion. Is he the guy to get UK over the hump so to speak? Or is that impossible at UK per all the mediocrity loving stoops lovers?

2-18 : Mark Stoops record against top 10 opponents. With wins against a Florida #9 team that finished unranked and was highly overrated and a U of L team which let's face it was definitely overrated ( per all the "acc sucks" comments on here and comments by stoops himself)

Sorry, the guy don't walk on water. Has been a good coach and built it to this point but can't win the big games consistently or hardly even at all, and to be honest loses most of them in embarrassing fashion. Is he the guy to get UK over the hump so to speak? Or is that impossible at UK per all the mediocrity loving stoops lovers?

I don’t think anyone believes he walks on water. I believe equating someone loving stoops to loving mediocrity is about the same that someone who thinks UK is going to become a powerhouse in football is delusional.

What do you want out of the program and who do you think will get it to that level is my question for you.

What record is acceptable against top 10 teams with a school that has never finished in the top 10 in recruiting in their history to my knowledge?

Is there a coach out there that has this ability?

I don’t think anyone believes he walks on water. I believe equating someone loving stoops to loving mediocrity is about the same that someone who thinks UK is going to become a powerhouse in football is delusional.

What do you want out of the program and who do you think will get it to that level is my question for you.

What record is acceptable against top 10 teams with a school that has never finished in the top 10 in recruiting in their history to my knowledge?

Is there a coach out there that has this ability?
Not acceptable: 2-18 at 9+ million a year. I can't say who to hire but I'm sure there are many that could at least replicate and several that could do better at that price point.

And what do I want out of the program? An SEC championship , a playoff berth, or at the very least a new years day 6 bowl. Something we should all want. Not enough folks believe that is possible and don't demand the best, that is the problem. How do you get to the next level? It is possible!!!

Last edited:
Thank you all for making UK football respected, fun, exciting. I think what's below will say it all.

WINNING PERCENTAGES OF COACHES FO PAST 50 YEARS
1973-1981. Fran Curci 47-51-2. .480
1982-1989. Jerry Claiborne. 49-46-3. .472
1990-1996 Bill Curry. 26-52. .333
1997-2000 Hal Mumme 20-26. .435
2001-2002 Guy Morris. 9-14. .391
2003-2009. Rich Brooks. 39-47. .453
2010-2012 Joker Phillips. 13-24. .351
2013-2023. mark Stoops 66-59. .528

Taking over a program that was a absolute disaster, he had to start building a foundation immediately for the future. IMO, he's built his program by starting the foundation with the defense first then building the Big Blue Wall, thanks to Coach Scharman. Now we're beginning to add the special athletic type players toward a more finished product. I'm excited to see where we may possibly go down the road, just hope I live long enough to see the results.
Yeah great job stoops , with 100's of millions of funding and even the hospital paying players having a record that is a c*nt hair over 500 and 90% of his wins over Mac / fcs/ vandy. Look, no one can doubt he stabilized the program but on top of being the winningest coach he is also the losingest coach. Dude couldn't sniff Bear Bryant's jock strap.

Not acceptable: 2-18 at 9+ million a year. I can't say who to hire but I'm sure there are many that could at least replicate and several that could do better at that price point.

And what do I want out of the program? An SEC championship , a playoff berth, or at the very least a new years day 6 bowl. Something we should all want. Not enough folks believe that is possible and don't demand the best, that is the problem. How do you get to the next level? It is possible!!!

I love the enthusiasm and hope in the program.

Whether they pay the coach $1 or $100,000,000 what is the steps to get to that level?

You can use any stat to say Stoops this or Stoops that, but given the fact that UK has finished in the top 10 two times in their entire history what is the realistic outlook on top 10 games?

It is a tired argument our fans have it seems, historically UK is in a better place than ever and spends more than ever on football, but what else is needed to bring in top 10 recruiting classes every single year and is it possible at UK?

I believe stoops has built 2-3 teams that had a shot at finishing close enough to flirt with the playoffs (12 team) in his tenure.

The two 10 win years could have if one game went their way and the Lynn Bowden team may have been great if he was able to be a wide receiver.

Do I think there is another coach that can do that at UK? Can’t imagine ever saying that in my life until recently. Also could end up with another dud of a coach and the program could go through 30 years of misery again.

If you actually like Stoops, stop trying to minimize his accomplishments. These are raw data. They don't need to be "taken with a grain of salt". They are what they are. Everyone knows the schedule changes every year. It is tougher now than ever, for heaven's sakes. But that isn't even the point. If you can't fully appreciate a coach who wins more games than he loses (for the first time since Bear Bryant and Blanton Collier) and recruits solid classes, then go back to the basketball board and talk some more over there about Cal.
The schedule is tougher now than ever? Is this comedy hour? Stoops gets to start every season with 3 shoe-in wins before the 9 game real schedule kicks in. The majority of the time he is going 5-4 or 4-5 in those 9 games. Schedule hasn’t always been set up
With 3 cupcakes every year and didn’t always include a lower division team like EKU this year which still gave us all we wanted. Check out this schedule below. 11 games against all schools currently in a P5 conference. Stoops had that once with the all SEC schedule and went 4-6. Of course all 4 wins were against bad teams who combined for an 8-28 record (a staple of stoops and his inflated record).

1977 schedule- UNC, Baylor, West Virginia, Penn state, Miss St, LSU, Georgia, Va Tech, Vandy, Florida, Tennessee.

The schedule is tougher now than ever? Is this comedy hour? Stoops gets to start every season with 3 shoe-in wins before the 9 game real schedule kicks in. The majority of the time he is going 5-4 or 4-5 in those 9 games. Schedule hasn’t always been set up
With 3 cupcakes every year and didn’t always include a lower division team like EKU this year which still gave us all we wanted. Check out this schedule below. 11 games against all schools currently in a P5 conference. Stoops had that once with the all SEC schedule and went 4-6. Of course all 4 wins were against bad teams who combined for an 8-28 record (a staple of stoops and his inflated record).

1977 schedule- UNC, Baylor, West Virginia, Penn state, Miss St, LSU, Georgia, Va Tech, Vandy, Florida, Tennessee.

You say stoops is going 5-4 or 4-5 in the 9 “real” games a season.

My question is to why any other coach did not do this in Kentucky’s history. Even when teams played 3 out of conference games a coach would just need to win one or both of those cupcakes to go to a bowl game right?

So why is UK not on like a 76 year bowl streak?

Stoops has his flaws there is no doubt, but people have to acknowledge that what he is doing at UK is unprecedented and something that realistically most fans never thought to be possible.

Now I think we all just hope it is a building block for the next generation of fans and players.

Reactions: The-Hack
You say stoops is going 5-4 or 4-5 in the 9 “real” games a season.

My question is to why any other coach did not do this in Kentucky’s history. Even when teams played 3 out of conference games a coach would just need to win one or both of those cupcakes to go to a bowl game right?

So why is UK not on like a 76 year bowl streak?

Stoops has his flaws there is no doubt, but people have to acknowledge that what he is doing at UK is unprecedented and something that realistically most fans never thought to be possible.

Now I think we all just hope it is a building block for the next generation of fans and players.
His record isn’t really that much better. Take away 2 extra gimmie wins a year that most other coaches before him were not granted and he’s 46 -59. Stoops has definitely increased the talent level being brought in but that’s it as far as I’m concerned. His teams are not well coached and he lacks the mentality to get more out of his teams than he should on a consistent basis. His teams underperform the majority of the time. Has way more head scratching losses or near losses on his resume at UK than he does surprising victories.

Stoops 4-5 wins each year are still mostly against bad football teams. UofL by far the best win this year.

Reactions: seccats04
His record isn’t really that much better. Take away 2 extra gimmie wins a year that most other coaches before him were not granted and he’s 46 -59. Stoops has definitely increased the talent level being brought in but that’s it as far as I’m concerned. His teams are not well coached and he lacks the mentality to get more out of his teams than he should on a consistent basis. His teams underperform the majority of the time. Has way more head scratching losses or near losses on his resume at UK than he does surprising victories.

Stoops 4-5 wins each year are still mostly against bad football teams. UofL by far the best win this year.
Nailed it!

It's too bad our staff can't coach the same way they can recruit. I mean Stoops' teams are usually only well coached on the D side as the O and ST's have mostly been a mess since he's been here (besides a smash mouth run game). I don't consider someone a great coach who has largely ignored 2/3's of the game. He has largely benefitted from a cupcake schedule with 3 automatic wins, Vandy, a down UL, a down USCe, a down Mizzou, a down UT (who we still can't beat) and a down UF for most of his tenure here. But I'll give him credit because every other coach except maybe Brooks would've still lost a lot of those games.

There was a very brief stretch with this kind of schedule.

Our OOC schedules more frequently had the likes of IU, Kansas State (Pre-Snyder), Kansas, Cincinnati (when they sucked), etc. Go back to Bear and you’ll find a lot of Tulane and Xavier.

Those were some bitchin’ schedules from
1976-1980, but not fairly representative of the 60 years prior to Stoops.

For years, UK football was like a child’s report card that always brought home straight Fs.

Now, it’s bringing home Cs and Ds with a few easier classes sprinkled in there to boost the GPA.

An improvement? Yes.

Anything close to where it needs to be to compete nationally? No

His record isn’t really that much better.
He has a higher percentage of wins in the SEC than most of his predecessors, and for all the listing of OOC opponents in the 70’s UK had not defeated a ranked OOC opponent other than Louisville since 1984, when Stoops arrived.

And he has two of the three defeats of a ranked Louisville, both knocking the dirty birds from the NYD6.

Last edited:
As the great, independent analyst Bill O'Reilly says, "people believe what they want to believe". The anti-Stoops crowd strives to create an alternate reality, in which every positive accompliment must be viewed in a skewed or compromised context. Basically, this is akin to the contemporary cancel culture.

The motivation for downplaying Stoops' accomplishments is absolutely bizarre. Unless one counts Fran Curci, the last dramatic success enjoyed by UK's football program occurred under Bear Bryant and Blanton Collier back when people were still watching two channels on black and white TV and the US was coping with the aftermath of WW2. Their rationale for including Curci in this discussion is that "everyone was cheating back then". That may or may not actually be the case. But, in order to believe Curci got caught while other SEC programs didn't get caught requires reversion to the world-against-UK conspiracy theories and the "curse of the Bear". Those narratives are paranoid nonsense.

Rich Brooks probably deserves a statue, but he never came close to accomplishing what Stoops has accomplished. Brooks' role was to pull UK football up by its chin straps from the long period of probation, sanctions, and second-class status that began when Curci was caught cheating and ran until Mumme and Larry Ivey were fired. Brooks was a breath of fresh air, although our distinguished fans tried to run him out of town in 2005 because he was not a pawn of the boosters.

At the beginning of the Stoops era, UK was coming off a 2-9 season. Stoops said he came to UK out of respect for the BBN.
Ironic. When he got here, UK actually was a "basketball school". All of our football facilities were outdated and antiquated. Our roster was worse than Vandy's. We didn't have enough competitive players to beat WKY. Stoops walked into the breach, took the fire, and started fixing everything.

Since then, Stoops has rebuilt our football roster, renovated our facilities, and engineered two 10-win seasons. In UK's entire football history, there have been four 10-win seasons. Stoops pulled off two of those since 2018. Prior to that, these same sourpusses who now dismiss Stoops were saying UK's "football ceiling" was 7-5. These are largely the same folks who wanted Brooks fired in 2005. Complaining is their default behavior. If they couldn't complain, they wouldn't know what else to do.

UK is about to participate in our 8th consecutive bowl game. Aside from a brief aberration in 2007, this is the first time in a half-century that UK has made appearances in national polls. It isn't everything we hope for. It isn't what AL has accomplished. It isn't a national championship or even an SEC championship. But it is a helluva lot more than any other UK football coach has accomplished. This new narrative that Stoops really isn't any better than previous UK football coaches is not only implausible ingratitude but also shameless ignorance.

Before Stoops got here, most other SEC football programs regarded UK as a bunny game, almost like a bye week. That is no longer the case. We have leapfrogged FL and more than held our own against SCar and MO. There was a time, and not very long ago, when it would have been unthinkable to beat FL or SCar. Do people even know that? Stoops fixed it. There is no rational reason for UK football fans not to be appreciative for our rise from 2-9 to annual postseason participation. But some people can't be happy unless they are making everyone else miserable and, unfortunately, a lot of such people hang out on fan websites like this one where they can remain safely anonymous.

Last edited:
Such an elegant reply, unfortunately most of the dim rods won't be able to comprehend.

I posted a day or so about a Sports Illustrated article in 1974 about our fans writing the AD to get Blanton Collier fired for his iept recruiting. Yes, he was fired along with his assitants: Don Shula, Chuck Knox, Bill Arnsparger, Schnellenberger, to name a few that are hall of farmers but not good enough here. Some things change but not around here. The end of the article ended with this quote, "Fired anyone lately Kentucky".

Anything close to where it needs to be to compete nationally? No
What exactly is "compete nationally"?

Because thinking Stoops, or any favorite you would hire, is going to transform the Kentucky program to the same level as Texas, Bama, Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon, FSU, LSU (to name a few) is very foolish.

A coach isn't gonna solve what holds this program back.
-too few elite talent produced locally
-poor historic sucess/name value
-poor financial support from fans

We've all got our opinions on Stoops, positive and negative. I trust the unbiased thoughts of national CFB guys like Bud Elliott, Andy Staples, Bruce Feldman. And they all say the same, Mark Stoops wins high above what a program like Kentucky with the limitations I listed has. And that whoever is the next UK coach is unlikely to have the same sucess we have enjoyed for 8 yrs.

Reactions: phunterd
What exactly is "compete nationally"?

Because thinking Stoops, or any favorite you would hire, is going to transform the Kentucky program to the same level as Texas, Bama, Georgia, Ohio, Michigan, Clemson, Oklahoma, Oregon, FSU, LSU (to name a few) is very foolish.

A coach isn't gonna solve what holds this program back.
-too few elite talent produced locally
-poor historic sucess/name value
-poor financial support from fans

We've all got our opinions on Stoops, positive and negative. I trust the unbiased thoughts of national CFB guys like Bud Elliott, Andy Staples, Bruce Feldman. And they all say the same, Mark Stoops wins high above what a program like Kentucky with the limitations I listed has. And that whoever is the next UK coach is unlikely to have the same sucess we have enjoyed for 8 yrs.

You may be right but you can’t settle for that type of mentality. Brooks, Mumme, Morris all had 7-5 seasons with less talent resources and support. It’s naive to think there’s NO one else out there that could ever accomplish what Stoops has here. Its quite possible, he may be pretty darn average when taking into consideration all he’s been given at UK to succeed. Just my opinion.

You may be right but you can’t settle for that type of mentality. Brooks, Mumme, Morris all had 7-5 seasons with less talent resources and support. It’s naive to think there’s NO one else out there that could ever accomplish what Stoops has here. Its quite possible, he may be pretty darn average when taking into consideration all he’s been given at UK to succeed. Just my opinion.
When did being realistic and knowledgeable about what the expectations should be become settling?

When did being realistic and knowledgeable about what the expectations should be become settling?

On the day he announced Joker Phillips would not be retained as head coach, Barnhart issued a 924-word open letter to the Big Blue Nation fan base. In conclusion, he wrote: “Kentucky football needs to be and will be a championship contender in the SEC.”

He didn’t suggest Kentucky should be more competitive, nor even a bowl-eligible program. He declared UK would contend for conference championships, and he wrote it in ink.

Reactions: RunninRichie
You may be right but you can’t settle for that type of mentality. Brooks, Mumme, Morris all had 7-5 seasons with less talent resources and support.
How many 10-3 years? Dealing in facts and truth and living in reality isn't settling for a "mentality" or whatever.
Its quite possible, he may be pretty darn average when taking into consideration all he’s been given at UK to succeed. Just my opinion.
Folks like you say he has been "given" so much. and what? pretend the rest of the SEC and CFB have stood still? Knoxville hasn't spent anything since 2015? Florida didn't build any facilities since we did 2014-2015? Bama, Georgia, S Carolina stand pat?

You're welcome to any opinion you want. But thinking the only thing holding UK football back from being a top 10 program is the right head coaching hire is gonna be a miserable experience for any fan. Now, and for the past 50 years, and for the next 50 years.

Reactions: TCurtis75
How many 10-3 years? Dealing in facts and truth and living in reality isn't settling for a "mentality" or whatever.

Folks like you say he has been "given" so much. and what? pretend the rest of the SEC and CFB have stood still? Knoxville hasn't spent anything since 2015? Florida didn't build any facilities since we did 2014-2015? Bama, Georgia, S Carolina stand pat?

You're welcome to any opinion you want. But thinking the only thing holding UK football back from being a top 10 program is the right head coaching hire is gonna be a miserable experience for any fan. Now, and for the past 50 years, and for the next 50 years.

Again, that is unknown. Neither you nor I can say that with total certainty.

My original post was saying Stoops has taken the program from straight Fs (Joker) to a C/D level but still a long way from winning Championships which was what MB penned to the fan base the goal was when this journey started.

I never argued Stoops hasn’t improved the program. He just hasn’t to the level that the AD made public the expectations for when it comes to the program.

On the day he announced Joker Phillips would not be retained as head coach, Barnhart issued a 924-word open letter to the Big Blue Nation fan base. In conclusion, he wrote: “Kentucky football needs to be and will be a championship contender in the SEC.”

He didn’t suggest Kentucky should be more competitive, nor even a bowl-eligible program. He declared UK would contend for conference championships, and he wrote it in ink.
An AD has to say that. A coach has to say that. The fans have to understand what realistic expectations for UK football are and should be. Stoops not making an SEC championship doesn’t mean he’s underperformed. Fans being realistic is not settling. Our peak isn’t going to be the same peak as GA or Bama. It’s ok to acknowledge that. It’s been said before. We have had 4 ten win season in our history. Stoops has 2 of them. I haven’t looked but I bet Bama has had more than 4 consecutive 10 win seasons.

I don’t know your age but I feel like most of the griping is from younger fans who weren’t around when we were winning 2 games in a year and getting beat by Florida 73-6 or whatever those ridiculous scores were. They (and you no matter your age for that matter) refuse to acknowledge (or simply don’t know) what a great job Stoops has actually done for this program.

Reactions: JHB4UK
An AD has to say that. A coach has to say that. The fans have to understand what realistic expectations for UK football are and should be. Stoops not making an SEC championship doesn’t mean he’s underperformed. Fans being realistic is not settling. Our peak isn’t going to be the same peak as GA or Bama. It’s ok to acknowledge that. It’s been said before. We have had 4 ten win season in our history. Stoops has 2 of them. I haven’t looked but I bet Bama has had more than 4 consecutive 10 win seasons.

I don’t know your age but I feel like most of the griping is from younger fans who weren’t around when we were winning 2 games in a year and getting beat by Florida 73-6 or whatever those ridiculous scores were. They (and you no matter your age for that matter) refuse to acknowledge (or simply don’t know) what a great job Stoops has actually done for this program.

Again, Stoops has moved the program forward, but slightly imo. I’ve said this in 3 posts already.

And the beatdowns still do occur. Did you miss the Georgia game? Tennessee game from last year? Sure it wasn’t 70pts but if a Spurrier type was still coaching and if Stoops doesn’t eat clock, they could’ve been.

Not sure what my age or history has to do with the future. Thats a defeatist mindset imo. But I sat through many of those beatdowns back then as well.

Again, Stoops has moved the program forward, but slightly imo. I’ve said this in 3 posts already.

And the beatdowns still do occur. Did you miss the Georgia game? Tennessee game from last year? Sure it wasn’t 70pts but if a Spurrier type was still coaching and if Stoops doesn’t eat clock, they could’ve been.

Not sure what my age or history has to do with the future. Thats a defeatist mindset imo. But I sat through many of those beatdowns back then as well.
Did you forget the previous 2 years, we played GA as competitive as anyone. When you are a Tier 2 team you are going to have beat downs against top 10 teams? They are top 10 teams for a reason and are on a level that we will never be at consistently. The key is those beatdowns used to happen multiple times a year. Now they happen at most once a year. We have a consistency that we have never had before. There are inherent obstacles in place for UK that simply can’t be overcome to year in and year out get the results that you expect. They have been addressed multiple times and yet you think it’s something that changing a coach will fix and that people will be lining up to come here. The results we are getting greatly outweigh the risks on hiring a new coach unless we don’t have a choice. It will be much easier to go back to 2 win seasons than it will be to get more 10 win seasons. And let’s not forget, when Stoops leaves there is a great likelihood that virtually all the team will enter the transfer portal leaving us looking like the team that lost to Vandy in Jokers last year that Stoops inherited when he got here. There is a lot more to consider today than just the coach when making a coaching change.

Did you forget the previous 2 years, we played GA as competitive as anyone. When you are a Tier 2 team you are going to have beat downs against top 10 teams? They are top 10 teams for a reason and are on a level that we will never be at consistently. The key is those beatdowns used to happen multiple times a year. Now they happen at most once a year. We have a consistency that we have never had before. There are inherent obstacles in place for UK that simply can’t be overcome to year in and year out get the results that you expect. They have been addressed multiple times and yet you think it’s something that changing a coach will fix and that people will be lining up to come here. The results we are getting greatly outweigh the risks on hiring a new coach unless we don’t have a choice. It will be much easier to go back to 2 win seasons than it will be to get more 10 win seasons. And let’s not forget, when Stoops leaves there is a great likelihood that virtually all the team will enter the transfer portal leaving us looking like the team that lost to Vandy in Jokers last year that Stoops inherited when he got here. There is a lot more to consider today than just the coach when making a coaching change.
Most people's opinions on Stoops are frozen, and many of them ultimately depend on their opinions of Mitch Barnhart. Barnhart got the media leaks and the boosters out of UK's athletics department, and lots of those people still haven't forgiven him. So any excuse to dump on UK athletics seems good to them. And you still see and hear it on the internet and the radio.

There is absolutely no factual doubt that Stoops has been a productive, successful football coach at UK. Someone please name a UK football coach who has been more productive and successful than Stoops. Has the improvement under Stoops been linear? Of course not. Only a simpleton would seriously expect that, because SEC competition is the toughest in the country. Has Stoops won a SEC Championship? No. What would happen if Stoops was fired for that? Should every SEC fan base expect every football coach to win the SEC championship? Heupel hasn't won one. Kiffin hasn't. Should SCar fire Shane Beamer or cut his salary? Should AR fire Sam Pittman?

We are lucky to have Mark Stoops, and he is producing. It hasn't been perfection. Maybe not everything that everyone wants. Life doesn't work that way. But the before-Stoops/during-Stoops comparison is not debatable. Every football facility has been renovated or replaced. Our recruiting is the best it has ever been. In fact, the contrast compared to prior-to-Stoops is stark, and it can still get better for us. Our coaches and players are working their butts off.

Last edited:

When was the last time stoops won 4-5 games in a season? Outside if the Covid year?

Excuses excuses, stoops gets a few gimmie games a year, stoops does this, stoops does that.

Yet no coach has done what stoops has done and the program was close to folding when he took over.

Surprising losses each year are frustrating, usually steals one to make up for it. If he ever drops the dud then who knows what will happen. I don’t know at this point if it will happen though.

When was the last time stoops won 4-5 games in a season? Outside if the Covid year?

Excuses excuses, stoops gets a few gimmie games a year, stoops does this, stoops does that.

Yet no coach has done what stoops has done and the program was close to folding when he took over.

Surprising losses each year are frustrating, usually steals one to make up for it. If he ever drops the dud then who knows what will happen. I don’t know at this point if it will happen though.
I clearly stated wins 4 or 5 of the 9 real games we play each year. No other coach was gifted with 3 patsy opponents each year, a down Louisville team, and the SECE has definitely been down since stoops took over. Stoops has certainly brought in talent and increased our level of play (although not consistent) yet those other factors is what makes his record what it is and even then it’s barely above .500.

I clearly stated wins 4 or 5 of the 9 real games we play each year. No other coach was gifted with 3 patsy opponents each year, a down Louisville team, and the SECE has definitely been down since stoops took over. Stoops has certainly brought in talent and increased our level of play (although not consistent) yet those other factors is what makes his record what it is and even then it’s barely above .500.
You think the other factors are what makes his record but you don’t know that without a doubt. You say the SEC has been down and that UL has been down. How do you know that we just are that much better? As far as UL being down, we have beat them multiple times when they have been ranked. That doesn’t sound down to me.

You say it’s the other factors that make his record because that is what your argument is but that doesn’t mean it’s correct. The truth is more in the middle. Those factors have helped but just as important is the recruiting improvements and increased level of play which are good for at least half of the wins that you claim are due to the other factors.

Reactions: Jont0805
An example:

UK’s 1995 football schedule (with one fewer game) than now):

Louisville
#5 Florida
@Indiana
@South Carolina
#13 Auburn
LSU
@georgia
@Miss St
@Vandy
Cincinatti
#4 Tennessee

This was a typical, likely even easier schedule that UK teams from the decades prior to Stoops had to face. This is why I take the “bowl streak” and “winningest coach of all time” stuff with a big grain of salt. I like the guy, but it’s not exactly apples and apples here. How would Stoops fare with a schedule like the ones Mumme and other pre-2003 UK coaches had to face (with far less support from the administration)?
The 1995 Indiana football team finished with a 2-9 record.

The Cincinnati team finished 6-5 which included wins against Tulsa, Memphis, Northern Illinois, and East Carolina.

That Louisville team went 7-4 with wins against Tulane, Northeast Louisiana, North Texas, Memphis, and Northern Illinois.

So while those non conference teams that year were technically bigger names compared to the Central Michigans and Akrons of the world, they were still trash teams. The level of play of teams in mid major conferences has elevated since the 90’s. While I wish we would put a team like Indiana back on the schedule, I still think the schedule overall that UK plays today is just as hard if not harder than from the past.

Reactions: TCurtis75
You think the other factors are what makes his record but you don’t know that without a doubt. You say the SEC has been down and that UL has been down. How do you know that we just are that much better? As far as UL being down, we have beat them multiple times when they have been ranked. That doesn’t sound down to me.

You say it’s the other factors that make his record because that is what your argument is but that doesn’t mean it’s correct. The truth is more in the middle. Those factors have helped but just as important is the recruiting improvements and increased level of play which are good for at least half of the wins that you claim are due to the other factors.
Really? You think Florida, South Carolina and TN are pretty much what they have always been and we have just rose to their levels? I acknowledged that stoops has increased the talent level here, that’s honestly never been up for debate. Even stated he has rose our level of play, just how much is debate-able. I’d say maybe 35% and the other teams have dropped around 65%. Stoops needs to stop being a pansy ass and play hard nosed football instead of being afraid of his own shadows. When that happens we might actually start beating teams that matter and stop losing BS games like Vanderbilt and South Carolina and allowing the likes of EKU to play toe to toe with us for damn near 4 quarters.

Reactions: BlueRunner11

A down Louisville yet UK under stoops has beat two of the top 3 Louisville teams of all time.

You are just way off base from any reason.

So you are saying in the years prior to stoops, none of the coaches had built in wins to the schedule? They were playing 11 and 12 “real” games.

If that is not what you are saying how many “real” games did those coaches have each season. Did they win 44-55% of them? If so why not?

If any of those coaches would have won 44-55% of their “real” games, whatever that constitutes then why is UK historically so bad at football? Or along with criticism can you at least give stoops some credit in that he is the best coach at UK outside of Bear Bryant?

Maybe he isn’t top 10 in college football but he certainly isn’t a scrub.

Really? You think Florida, South Carolina and TN are pretty much what they have always been and we have just rose to their levels? I acknowledged that stoops has increased the talent level here, that’s honestly never been up for debate. Even stated he has rose our level of play, just how much is debate-able. I’d say maybe 35% and the other teams have dropped around 65%. Stoops needs to stop being a pansy ass and play hard nosed football instead of being afraid of his own shadows. When that happens we might actually start beating teams that matter and stop losing BS games like Vanderbilt and South Carolina and allowing the likes of EKU to play toe to toe with us for damn near 4 quarters.
You obviously are letting your agenda cloud your judgement so much so that further discussion is useless.

I will finish with this. You say Stoops needs to play hard nosed football yet all the opponents say UK is the most physical team they play most of the time. You say Stoops needs to play hard nosed football yet were probably one of the ones complaining about his methodical running attack that is the definition of hard nosed football. South Carolina has never been that much better than us. Stoops is the reason that we are better than them. They are still fairly close to what they have always been and we are much better than we have always been.

I'm a big stats guy but sometimes looking too closely at stats is like focusing on the trees instead of the forest.
Under Stoops we have elevated recruiting to an unprecedented level, increased the quality of assistant coaches significantly and improved facilities to be on par with the other programs. All of which has lead to us rising from mostly an unrespected bottom tier to a mid tier SEC team that is competitive with every other team in the conference save Bama and Georgia. You can cite stats, counter stats, add context all day long but the improvements when taken at large are obvious. The question that remains which is a fair one is, what comes next?

I posted in this thread 3 national CFB media guys who say Mark Stoops is doing great at Kentucky. Staples, Elliott, Feldman. They all said he would have crushed it if the Texas a&m thing worked out also.

Can any anonymous nobody poster on this board cite a national unbiased CFB journalist who says otherwise? Who agree with small marginal UK fans that someone else would do better?

I mean, if y'alls opinion is right and has some basis in facts and truth then surely there is someone on a sports channel or website who agrees with you? That Stoops is mediocre, holding UK football back, we'd win so much more if only we had a different coach?

Or, maybe reality is y'all are just empty barrels, a few nothings clunking along with no serious folks who agree with your incorrect opinion.

You obviously are letting your agenda cloud your judgement so much so that further discussion is useless.

I will finish with this. You say Stoops needs to play hard nosed football yet all the opponents say UK is the most physical team they play most of the time. You say Stoops needs to play hard nosed football yet were probably one of the ones complaining about his methodical running attack that is the definition of hard nosed football. South Carolina has never been that much better than us. Stoops is the reason that we are better than them. They are still fairly close to what they have always been and we are much better than we have always been.
When I say hard nosed I mean aggressive, not just physical. We aren’t going to beat quality opponents with soft zone coverages because we are afraid of giving up a big play. We aren’t going to beat quality opponents by refusing to bring all out blitzes and make the QB make a quick decision and beat us. Stoops would rather the other QB celebrate two birthdays while surveying the field. That’s pansy ass football. And stoops will not get aggressive on offense, it’s laughable how we run fewer plays than anyone else in the country or damn near close to it. Stoops is your proverbial play not to lose coach and that will just not get it done. Hes paid enough, time to let his balls drop and earn his keep. For top 10 money we should at least be a consistent top 25 team and not have to ever be nervous in games like EKU. Too many games our team looks completely unprepared, that’s not cloudy judgement but facts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT