ADVERTISEMENT

OT: Broncos bench Russell Wilson for remainder of the season

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Another huge QB contract that backfired on the team. At best, Broncos will have to eat $85M of dead cap room over 2 years. While RW's stats are decent this year, many of their games look like the Tebow years: flounder for 2-3 quarters, put together just enough offense in 2 drives to win a close game. Much of the passing game has been throws w/in 5 yards of the LOS. To be fair, Wilson doesn't have a ton of playmakers around him (of course, one could point to his contract as a leading cause of that, too) but their offense is horrific to watch most series.

I don’t really keep up with the Broncos, but the GM who green-lighted this trade needs to be fired. OTOH, my understanding is that Elway might have been involved in this trade as well, and if so, he needs to step back and let the front office people do their jobs.

George Paton is the GM and the one who gave Wilson the big contract. Before he'd ever taken a snap for Denver. Good move.

I know there are a lot of variables, but I said that Mahomes' contract could prove to be an albatross. Yes, they won a SB with him, so that's clearly a great achievement. But, they aren't the same team anymore and the offense is middle of the pack after losing some WRs. Would not surprise me to see them continue to slip back over the next couple of years, either. Hard to maintain a championship caliber roster for multiple years when one player is soaking up a big chunk of the salary cap. Brady was smart and kept his salary manageable while in NE so the team around him could still be good.

QB's are coddled too much now. Heard some old pros talking about it. They said that qbs used to get chewed out all the time from hs to college all the way into the pros. Now kids are coddled in 7v7 and babied at college out of fear of transfer and coddled in the pro's out of fear of going free agent.

Games are the only adversity some of these guys see. they aren't practicing worst case to get used to suck.

Russell Wilson wasn't even that great at his peak. He was more or less a great game manager. Watson, though deplorable, was a difference maker.

Both were terrible deals. Denver's was just worse imo

Reactions: gamecockcat
Watson was the QB but certainly didn’t win the game for them, the defense did. Watson threw a pick six and the Browns defense accounted for their own pick six.
Wrong .. Watson went off in the 2nd Half vs the Ravens in Baltimore … went 14-14 Passing for over 134 yards when they came back from 14 down to beat Baltimore ... and he did it while literally playing on a Broken shoulder -(his throwing shoulder) in the 2nd Half and a Severe High Ankle Sprain .. he also went 5-1 as a starter for Cleveland in 2023 and 8-4 overall in Cleveland as a starter. BTW not excusing the off the field allegations..

Wilson trade and contract IMO is worse in regards to pure football … the Seahawks got Two 1st Round Picks, two 2nd Round Picks, a 5th Round Pick, QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant, and DL Shelby Harris and Wilson went 7-8 as a Starter this year and 11-19 overall in Denver

Last edited:
Reactions: KYExtemper
Wrong .. Watson went off in the 2nd Half vs the Ravens in Baltimore … went 14-14 Passing for over 134 yards when they came back from 14 down to beat Baltimore ... and he did it while literally playing on a Broken shoulder -(his throwing shoulder) in the 2nd Half and a Severe High Ankle Sprain .. he also went 5-1 as a starter for Cleveland in 2023 and 8-4 overall in Cleveland as a starter. BTW not excusing the off the field allegations..

Wilson trade and contract IMO is worse in regards to pure football … the Seahawks got Two 1st Round Picks, two 2nd Round Picks, a 5th Round Pick, QB Drew Lock, TE Noah Fant, and DL Shelby Harris and Wilson went 7-8 as a Starter this year and 11-19 overall in Denver
He played a great second half, the defense kept them in the game from a terrible first half and overall was the reason they won that game.

I’m a huge Broncos fan and have watched every game. Wilson is a huge problem for the Broncos. He’s OK, but with his salary they can’t get the pieces they need for an OK quarterback. We are in trouble for a couple years. Hoping someone picks him up and that cap hit drops from 83 to 68 mil. Still hurts but it’s something. They can get a QB off waivers just as good for a fraction of the cost. He’s also not well liked in the organization. There was almost an open revolt last season over his personality. Peyton has calmed that down a lot this season, but there is very little love lost for Wilson in that locker room.

Reactions: Father Torque
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT