ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako

We have the top-rated big in the upcoming class coming. We also will probably get Ugo or Oscar back. There is no room for this guy.
Ugo & Oscar aren’t back yet, that’s just speculation, and mcgbako is more talented than both of them, he would be a improvement on Livingston, you don’t say no thank you to top 10 recruits

Here's me reading the tea leaves, IF in fact Mgbako opens his recruitment back up:
Antigua was his lead recruiter, and he took an official visit in October
He's from Roselle Catholic, where Briscoe attended (maybe others as well, MKG?)
Auburn, Memphis, and UCONN were also on his list. UCONN just got Clinigan back, but I haven't seen much about UCONN adding from the portal. Memphis has added 2 small forwards from the portal, even though Mgbako is a PF, still might have an impact - I don't know a ton about who Memphis returns outside of that.
I'm not sure how the Auburn roster looks right now, but they've been very active recruiting in the portal so far and I'm sure they'll try to get involved again.

But for sure, the status of Ugonna and Oscar obviously impact Mgbako's view on UK

Should be noted that he did NOT take an official to Auburn, nor UCONN during HS.
Oh man. I wonder….

Just rumors, and they were born from eligibility concerns. Losing a kid to bad grades is one thing, but this seems a bit different.
I’m gonna believe dillingham is playing when he actually plays first game, to many issues their, that’s why CALs whole offseason strategy makes no sense to me

Reactions: Catfan2226
Why in the world, would you guys want him? We don’t need more freshmen. I don’t care what he’s ranked. You don’t win championships with freshmen. Especially this day in age

• Haha
Reactions: DeerTurkHunter1
Why in the world, would you guys want him? We don’t need more freshmen. I don’t care what he’s ranked. You don’t win championships with freshmen. Especially this day in age
You don’t want a top 10 recruit who is better than most on the current roster? The top ten guys cal does good with. It’s the 20-75 guys who’s think they are way better than they are that cal struggles with

No offense to bradshaw and his camp but screw that, screw trying to satisfy these camps, it’s Kentucky there are going to be other talented players here if you can’t handle competition than don’t come here, that’s the problem cal got away from competition and having complete rosters, now he tries to get everybody happy and worry about their camps and feelings
Except they are the ones you need to satisfy, fans on here aren’t even a slight concern (or fans coming to games especially since most don’t follow recruiting enough to know who goes where other than UK). Fans will come/watch either way so the opinion of fans are really null in void even though most think we have more power than we do (zero power since you’ll never see enough leave/stop watching which effects 💰, won’t happen)

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
A lot of you are pretty slow, even for this board. He didn't back out of Duke in April to see what else was out there. He has already talked to his new school or team ($ G league) and isn't just listening to pitches.

Except they are the ones you need to satisfy, fans on here aren’t even a slight concern (or fans coming to games especially since most don’t follow recruiting enough to know who goes where other than UK). Fans will come/watch either way so the opinion of fans are really null in void even though most think we have more power than we do (zero power since you’ll never see enough leave/stop watching which effects 💰, won’t happen)
I get that to an extent but the man has been short handed and had injuries 3-4 last years and sit here and watched it happen if a top guy become available you don’t sit and watch

This is the issue with returning players and trying to also bring in top talent. Duke was not going to be able to bring in 5 star guys as their 8th and 9th players.. someone was gonna bolt.

UL people are convinced Mgbako is headed there. Would be a massive boost for Payne but what the hell is Mgbako thinking? Maybe this prompts them to get other solid players but they are so bad it's a bit baffling to me.

Reactions: westerncat
Nolin Smith recruited him to Duke .. and is now at UofL.... best guess is that is where he ends up
Maybe.
But there is a BIG difference in convincing him to go to Duke, and convincing him to go to UL. The NIL would have to be BIG, because he knows he ain't going to win if he goes there.

We have the top-rated big in the upcoming class coming. We also will probably get Ugo or Oscar back. There is no room for this guy.
There's always room for elite talent. May the best man win the playing time through competition.

It's time we start acting like the University of Kentucky. This once was a preeminent basketball school where players wanted to come here for all it encompasses: winning tradition, national tv/media exposure, facilities, nike athletic gear, coaching staff, NIL, Lafamilia and the BBN.
UK is a phenomenal platform to showcase and develop your skills. If guys want to play here there will be competition but that's what pushes you to greatness.

Enough with caving to demands and coddling players. Cal needs to make a declaration moving forward. This is the Commonwealth's program. These are our expectations, guidelines, and all we have to offer. Take it or leave it.

He is a 3/4 tweener, so thinking he is a 3 isn't that far off.
Now Livingston thinking he's a 2, that's just laughable.
There is a difference between a guy being able to play minutes at a position versus saying you can win a championship with that guy at that position 25 mpg.

We were at our best this year when Toppin was attacking and scoring. Now we will be going to a skinny freshman that can't post much, can't dribble, and has a decent set shot at that position. It is going to be a weak spot all year just like Livingston was this year at SF.

I'm not saying we shouldn't go after this guy but people are always bitching about having an almost all freshmen team with maybe 5 freshmen starters if we got this guy and say you can't win with an all freshmen starting team and group. Those same people are complaining in this thread.

This just shows some people are going to claim no matter what.

^^^^This^^^^ A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush.
I agree about "bird in the hand...".

But, I don't know that he would be an improvement on Livingston. It's questionable, but maybe a reasonable assumption that he will be better than Livingston was last year. But I expect, like with most players, SOPH Livingston to be better than FR Livingston, and think he will be a good player for some team. So honestly I'd put the odds of FR Mgbako being better than SOPH Livingston at <50%. But like you said, you take him if you can get him over the chance that CL returns. You take the Sanford kid, or the Knecht kid over the chance of CL returning.
You take the Syracuse C over the chance that Oscar returns.

But I also agree with what someone else said (not sure if this thread or another), that you don't just take the first guys willing to accept your offer. Be selective. And it's ok if you miss out on a player, you can't take them all.

Maybe.
But there is a BIG difference in convincing him to go to Duke, and convincing him to go to UL. The NIL would have to be BIG, because he knows he ain't going to win if he goes there.
Lol winning. Players don't care about that nowadays. They care about doing their time (1 year), getting paid and going to the league.

So we recruited him out of high-school, brought him in for visits but don't want him now? Maybe because we have Edwards but I'd make it work somehow.
Cal doesn’t recruit multiple 5 stars for the same position.

Slick Rick making contact with MMs Camp now. That would be great for St Johns. Kid would get all the run and shots he wanted and be NIL rich in the Big Apple.

Ugo & Oscar aren’t back yet, that’s just speculation, and mcgbako is more talented than both of them, he would be a improvement on Livingston, you don’t say no thank you to top 10 recruits
ccc does............he can't promise them all playing time & keep their camps happy.....screw winning games for UK

Reactions: Dontworryboutit23
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT