ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako to Kansas on Friday

Regardless of what you think about Self, or HOW he's doing things -- the bottom line is that he's now the IT coach and Kansas is now the IT program. In terms of on the court performance, Kansas is now the gold standard that Cal boasted about.

Make me want to puke. BTW, "puke" is just one letter away from Duke.

Regardless of what you think about Self, or HOW he's doing things -- the bottom line is that he's now the IT coach and Kansas is now the IT program. In terms of on the court performance, Kansas is now the gold standard that Cal boasted about.

Well I wouldn't go that far. The title was great, but it's no where near Kentucky from 2010 to 2015. I don't think any school is some "gold standard" in 2023.

12022-23Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round1Bill Self (24-8), Norm Roberts (4-0)
22021-22Big 12Won NCAA Tournament National Final1Bill Self (34-6)
32020-21Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round3Bill Self (21-9)
42019-20Big 12Bill Self (28-3)
52018-19Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round4Bill Self (26-10)

Two notes I want to emphasize because they will 100% come up:

1. I dont care if Kansas was any sort of favorite in the cancelled COVID year, because a. Kansas is often A favorite and b. I keep being told that it didn't matter for Kentucky who was also on the short list of teams who could win it in that same year.
2. I also don't care that Self had health complications last year. Kentucky has had to deal with actual players being injured.. which cost us wins, final 4s, and titles. Again, if we don't apply it to Kentucky, I don't want to hear the excuses for Kansas.

Well I wouldn't go that far. The title was great, but it's no where near Kentucky from 2010 to 2015. I don't think any school is some "gold standard" in 2023.

12022-23Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round1Bill Self (24-8), Norm Roberts (4-0)
22021-22Big 12Won NCAA Tournament National Final1Bill Self (34-6)
32020-21Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round3Bill Self (21-9)
42019-20Big 12Bill Self (28-3)
52018-19Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round4Bill Self (26-10)
I would probably say KU is the top blue blood at the moment, but that goes in cycles. UK, UNC, Duke, and KU have their moments at top. UK has been in a lull the last few seasons though.

Kansas is looking scary good now with Mackenzie Mgbako. How is $elf doing it?
Do you think basketball is just about building a roster of names?

Have you seen UK's offense? You think coaches don't talk about that?

Players actually do consider the fit and I'm betting they are shown "this is what we looked like in so and so" film.

And then you have Cal lounging at the NBA combine instead of being out there building a team.

I would probably say KU is the top blue blood at the moment, but that goes in cycles. UK, UNC, Duke, and KU have their moments at top. UK has been in a lull the last few seasons though.

I mean, if not for that one title they had above.. that's a pretty shitty previous 5 years. I'm not sure how happy our fanbase would be even WITH that title.. 3 other years failing to even get out of the opening weekend isn't good.

I'm not ready to assume that Self has cured all of his March tournament woes. We will see what they do next year. But that title, to me, still looks a little like the odd-year-out for Kansas.

I mean, if not for that one title they had above.. that's a pretty shitty previous 5 years. I'm not sure how happy our fanbase would be even WITH that title.. 3 other years failing to even get out of the opening weekend isn't good.

I'm not ready to assume that Self has cured all of his March tournament woes. We will see what they do next year. But that title, to me, still looks a little like the odd-year-out for Kansas.
I know I’d be ecstatic if we had one title like that, it beats only having one NCAAT win the last three years lol.

They have the hype right now. Like UK from 10-15, and then Duke and UNC after. Like you said, we’ll see if they can capitalize on it. But I do think they are the top blue blood at this very moment, but like I said it moves in cycles.

Kansas is looking scary good now with Mackenzie Mgbako. How is $elf doing it?
Fx Check GIF by Snowfall

He's a proven crook. That's how

They are currently the program that is in contention year in and year out.Conference titles and contention for final 4s.They finish a roster while we wait and wait.
I think I'll go throw up now giving Kansas any type of praise.

UK was a risk because UK wouldn't guarantee NIL Money. Nuff said.
And that’s BS, another swing and miss after miss. These kids aren’t transferring to win a championship, they are going to get theirs. And I don’t blame them, but you take Self’s teams and give to Cal and the same for Cal’s teams and I’m pretty sure the records would have been different.

For lurking Kansas fans is KJ Adams going to be okay with coming off the bench now? After getting 35 minutes a game last year?

(Also it was widely reported that Kansas trashed UK and very negatively recruited against us with Dickenson so screw them. We aren’t the one’s who signed someone who (allegedly) hits women)

Last edited:
Reactions: Fox2monk
Do you think basketball is just about building a roster of names?

Have you seen UK's offense? You think coaches don't talk about that?

Players actually do consider the fit and I'm betting they are shown "this is what we looked like in so and so" film.

And then you have Cal lounging at the NBA combine instead of being out there building a team.
Averaged more points per game than Kansas.

Have you seen that?

You think coaches don't talk about that?

We have a better class coming in that Kansas does. But you keep on with your Kansas love. It's a free country. Kansas fans can post at a UK site.

I looked it up. UK and Kansas both averaged 75 points per game this past season.

Not quite 80. But still not below the marvelous coaching of Self.

And we did it with 2 players. They had more.

Last edited:

They are not the "IT" program. Yeah they won a title a couple of years ago. They lost in 2nd round just last year and are cleaning up on scraps right now.

We just need to start winning again. Don't worry about Kansas.

They are not the "IT" program. Yeah they won a title a couple of years ago. They lost in 2nd round just last year and are cleaning up on scraps right now.

We just need to start winning again. Don't worry about Kansas.
Your a respectable poster and I enjoy your comments but if they are cleaning up on scraps right now,what about us??? We courted one of those scrap pieces hard in Dickinson or did you forget that part..I love UK just as much or maybe more than most but I'm not blinded by the blue shade enough to realize that things aren't rosey for the program right now and other teams are ahead of us.

Yeah, just drop the Covid year consensus #1 on every poll and metric, and it looks awful! 😂

Yeah, just drop the Covid year consensus #1 on every poll and metric, and it looks awful! 😂

It does look awful. It was one title and 3 years of losing in the 2nd round lol.

And you and others can decide.. do we count where we were when COVID canceled the season, or no?

Because last I checked Kentucky and Cal got zero credit for that year, and maybe that's how it should be. But it will be applied across the board.

Also wouldn't be the first time Kansas was a 1seed and got knocked out prematurely. Maybe it was a good thing COVID stopped that from happening lolol.

Last edited:
Reactions: RunninRichie

KU has won the B12 every year but one since Self has been there and they've been a 1 seed about every other year. They are the poster for consistency. We OTOH look like a roller coaster drawing with many hills and valleys.

KU has won the B12 every year but one since Self has been there and they've been a 1 seed about every other year. They are the poster for consistency. We OTOH look like a roller coaster drawing with many hills and valleys.

While we're obviously in a down period, and I, in no way think it's acceptable... I will absolutely take a "hills and valleys" approach, as opposed to whatever it is Kansas is doing. I'd gladly take Kentucky's hills and valleys from 2010 to 2017 over anything that Kansas has done under Self.

Ask Uconn if they'd rather win the Big East every year.. or if they'd rather have 5 NCAA titles.

I'm sorry, but aside from the recent title, I don't want what Kansas has. I'm not someone who cares to make it to the NFL conference title game 8 years of 10, just to only come away with 1 Superbowl. No one cares how close you got to being the best.

They are currently the program that is in contention year in and year out.Conference titles and contention for final 4s.They finish a roster while we wait and wait.
I think I'll go throw up now giving Kansas any type of praise.

The final four contender part has been a bit weak overall. Self should have more for being there almost 20 years IMO.

Uk fans don't care about winning 30 games if it means losing n the 2nd round. Doubt KU fans do either.

While we're obviously in a down period, and I, in no way think it's acceptable... I will absolutely take a "hills and valleys" approach, as opposed to whatever it is Kansas is doing. I'd gladly take Kentucky's hills and valleys from 2010 to 2017 over anything that Kansas has done under Self.

Ask Uconn if they'd rather win the Big East every year.. or if they'd rather have 5 NCAA titles.

I'm sorry, but aside from the recent title, I don't want what Kansas has. I'm not someone who cares to make it to the NFL conference title game 8 years of 10, just to only come away with 1 Superbowl. No one cares how close you got to being the best.
This is ridiculous. It is as simple as 2 titles vs 1.

It does look awful. It was one title and 3 years of losing in the 2nd round lol.

And you and others can decide.. do we count where we were when COVID canceled the season, or no?

Because last I checked Kentucky and Cal got zero credit for that year, and maybe that's how it should be. But it will be applied across the board.

Also wouldn't be the first time Kansas was a 1seed and got knocked out prematurely. Maybe it was a good thing COVID stopped that from happening lolol.

No, Kansas was the clear #1 team in 2020, and played a full season (28-3) so the metrics were reliable and set in stone.

As I’ve posted here before, SRS is a measure of how many points better a team is relative to D1.

2020 Kansas: +24.96
2012 Kentucky: +24.73

Reactions: kujhawk001
No, Kansas was the clear #1 team in 2020, and played a full season (28-3) so the metrics were reliable and set in stone.

As I’ve posted here before, SRS is a measure of how many points better a team is relative to D1.

2020 Kansas: +24.96
2012 Kentucky: +24.73

lmfao. I don't give a shit what the metrics were.. you don't get to count the cancelled year for anything, just like we don't either. Kansas has ZERO tournament wins that season.

I can't believe Kansas fans are actually making an argument that 2020 was some title year for them. This is pretty pathetic.

Since you mentioned 2020 Kentucky earlier:

Kansas +24.94
Kentucky +15.78

So we’d be laying -9.2 to Kentucky that year. Those are um, not comparable squads. An 83% chance Kansas wins:

I never said Kentucky would beat Kansas in the tournament, nor do I think we were going to win the title.
My point is you have zero idea how that tournament would turn out for Kansas. Not only was it very likely you WOULDN'T win the title.. I'd even say it was improbable (less than 50%) that you'd even make the Final 4. Plenty of past Kansas 1-seeds had high metrics.. only to see them not make it out of the first weekend.

You can spin and wish all you want. Kansas has zero tournament wins in 2020.. just like Kentucky.. just like Marist.

Reactions: Fox2monk
The final four contender part has been a bit weak overall. Self should have more for being there almost 20 years IMO.

Uk fans don't care about winning 30 games if it means losing n the 2nd round. Doubt KU fans do either.
As much talent as we have had wouldn't you suspect that we should also have better final 4 or even title odds than we have gotten.I won't even get into conference titles as there is no comparison.Im no Jailhawk fan but I also know they win....any way possible....and the NCAA could give 2 shits less...

As much talent as we have had wouldn't you suspect that we should also have better final 4 or even title odds than we have gotten.I won't even get into conference titles as there is no comparison.Im no Jailhawk fan but I also know they win....any way possible....and the NCAA could give 2 shits less...

I'm more than OK with 6 Elite 8s, 4 Final 4's, 2 title appearances, and 1 title since 2010 (and only one embarrasing loss). Aside from not having a 2nd title, that's more than anyone could ask for, and certainly more than Kansas could dream of.

But, we are trending backwards. I dont see us winning another final4 with Cal if he can't do it this coming year. We likely need a coaching change to get back to winning in March.. Which, if we went by the most recent year.. I guess Kansas is in the same boat lol.

I am not a fan of Bill Self but what he had done after the season was over was outstanding for Kansas. Coach Self has Four 4* recruits, currently 3 players left from last year and possibly 4th with McCullars, and walk-ons. Then Self doesn't stop and gets Timberlake that averaged 18ppg. and has shot 42% from 3 last 2 years, then Dickinson, and former 5* Arterio Morris from Texas, and now probably gets Mackenzie Mgbako decommit from Duke. Head Coach Self will be at 11 or 12 players depending on if McCullar returns with Harris, Adams, and Udeh. Self has also let 2 players transfer in order to pull this team together for 2023-24.

Then we look at Kentucky currently sitting at 7 players and possibly 9 if Oscar and Reeves returns to UK. We now have learned that both Oscar and Reeves is headed to the NBA Combine and Oscar has 4 or 5 NBA team Workouts. It still doesn't look good on Livingston's return to UK next season. Coach Cal has always been a Head Coach to tell recruits No one is guaranteed a starting position, Minutes per game, shots, and now Money(NIL). I just don't understand why we have sat around except for Dickinson and now Johnson on showing No Activity in the talent that the Transfer Portal could provide UK next season. We have 6'11 Grant Nelson avg. 18 and 10 last year, 6'9 Ron Holland decommit from Texas, then Guards Tyrin Lawrence, Jordan Dingle, Andrew Taylor, and other guards/shooters from the Portal. These 3 guards avg. approx. 20ppg. and shot 36%-38% from 3. There are other talented PF and guards/shooters in the Transfer Portal that UK should be looking at for next season. If we do get Oscar and Reeves back and would be at 9 players still a good PF and a guard/shooter and anyone else would put UK at 11 or 12 players next season. With our luck on the Injury Bug last 2-3 seasons and having multiple injuries during mid-SEC play heading down the stretch to March Madness you would think Cal would be going all out for a 6'11 Grant Nelson and a guard shooter like Dingle, Lawrence, or anyone else in the portal. Kentucky can't continue like last 2-3 seasons with the injuries and then having NO Bench Depth when heading to March Madness. I am not a fan of Self but applaud what he has done for Kansas for the 2023-24 season!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT