ADVERTISEMENT

Mackenzie Mgbako to Kansas on Friday

I'm more than OK with 6 Elite 8s, 4 Final 4's, 2 title appearances, and 1 title since 2010 (and only one embarrasing loss). Aside from not having a 2nd title, that's more than anyone could ask for, and certainly more than Kansas could dream of.

But, we are trending backwards. I dont see us winning another final4 with Cal if he can't do it this coming year. We likely need a coaching change to get back to winning in March.. Which, if we went by the most recent year.. I guess Kansas is in the same boat lol.
Any die hard UK fan would be pleased with what we saw from 2010 -2015,I know I sure was but the last 3 seasons have taken the shine off from those accomplishments.The on court product is pathetic and the results are as well.
I agree,we are trending backwards and it's got to be fixed with or without Calipari.

When was their 2nd title? 2008?

Or are Kansas fans starting to count the COVID title as theirs? lmfao.
2008 but it is so easy to bracket years that are beneficial to your argument. Bottom line, the last 6 years count at UK and we have been very average at best.

If KS has been worse than UK I’ll take some of the worse stuff. I don’t care about conference titles but Self has 2 championships and we have 1 in the same time period.

For lurking Kansas fans is KJ Adams going to be okay with coming off the bench now? After getting 35 minutes a game last year?

(Also it was widely reported that Kansas trashed UK and very negatively recruited against us with Dickenson so screw them. We aren’t the one’s who signed someone who (allegedly) hits women)
I’m almost positive Mgbako will play the 3, and KJ the 4. And Mgbako slides to the 4 when Adams sits.

The SG is the only position up for grabs imo. One of Elmarko/Arterio/Timberlake.

Harris/Mgbako/KJ/HD would be locked in.

It’s amazing how much garbage Self cleared out in one month. Our bench was the worst it’s ever been under him and he knew it cost them all year. He fixed the problem quickly

They are not the "IT" program. Yeah they won a title a couple of years ago. They lost in 2nd round just last year and are cleaning up on scraps right now.

We just need to start winning again. Don't worry about Kansas.
@HAWK1962 keeps clicking the smiley emoji for all our anti-Kansas posts. I wonder if he'll ever come out from his clownish emoji obsession and actual form a real thought at some point.

I’m almost positive Mgbako will play the 3, and KJ the 4. And Mgbako slides to the 4 when Adams sits.

The SG is the only position up for grabs imo. One of Elmarko/Arterio/Timberlake.

Harris/Mgbako/KJ/HD would be locked in.
If Kansas plans on playing Mgbako at the 3… you guys are in for a rude awakening. Below average ball handler, average shooter, and doesn’t have the lateral quickness guard on the perimeter at this level.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Your a respectable poster and I enjoy your comments but if they are cleaning up on scraps right now,what about us??? We courted one of those scrap pieces hard in Dickinson or did you forget that part..I love UK just as much or maybe more than most but I'm not blinded by the blue shade enough to realize that things aren't rosey for the program right now and other teams are ahead of us.

First, appreciate the kind words.

Regarding us disagreeing I just think we are looking at it from two different angles. To me the IT program would be the hip, cool, gotta be there program. I don't think Kansas fits that mold. To me that is still UK and Duke. Look at the recruits. They dictate what is IT, IMHO.

Now recruits do not (for sure) win you any games. On the court it is debatable but Kansas has certainly outperformed UK of late.

Last edited:
Reactions: Catfan2226
Say what you want but KU is an Adidas school. We would be recruiting 3star athletes if we were with NIKE. I am all in favor of letting UK and Puke fight for NIKE Recruits.

They are currently the program that is in contention year in and year out.Conference titles and contention for final 4s.They finish a roster while we wait and wait.
I think I'll go throw up now giving Kansas any type of praise.
In contention for final fours year in and year out with 3 2nd round exits in the last 4 tournaments?

In contention for final fours year in and year out with 3 2nd round exits in the last 4 tournaments?
Yep.consistent 1 or 2 seeds in the dance,30 win seasons,conference titles etc...look,I'm no Jailhawk fan at all but they win and it looks like they will keep winning.
Meanwhile in Lexington,we can't even finish a freaking roster.

Reactions: Camhawk2012
Yep.consistent 1 or 2 seeds in the dance,30 win seasons,conference titles etc...look,I'm no Jailhawk fan at all but they win and it looks like they will keep winning.
Meanwhile in Lexington,we can't even finish a freaking roster.
Facts prove they are not Final four contention year in and year out like you said.

Reactions: LineSkiCat14
Do you think basketball is just about building a roster of names?

Have you seen UK's offense? You think coaches don't talk about that?

Players actually do consider the fit and I'm betting they are shown "this is what we looked like in so and so" film.

And then you have Cal lounging at the NBA combine instead of being out there building a team.
Self is head and shoulders above ccc
he may be the best coach in college since K retired
he has a system and recruits players to that system
he even makes adjustments during games.......can you imagine a coach that can do that!

They are not the "IT" program. Yeah they won a title a couple of years ago. They lost in 2nd round just last year and are cleaning up on scraps right now.

We just need to start winning again. Don't worry about Kansas.
no, no need to worry about falling further & further behnd each year to the winningest program in college history
a claim that super ccc let fall by the way side like he has so many other things

Self is head and shoulders above ccc
he may be the best coach in college since K retired
he has a system and recruits players to that system
he even makes adjustments during games.......can you imagine a coach that can do that!
Self is also a cheating piece of crap. So there’s that too. Just like the other rat you mentioned.

I am not a fan of Bill Self but what he had done after the season was over was outstanding for Kansas. Coach Self has Four 4* recruits, currently 3 players left from last year and possibly 4th with McCullars, and walk-ons. Then Self doesn't stop and gets Timberlake that averaged 18ppg. and has shot 42% from 3 last 2 years, then Dickinson, and former 5* Arterio Morris from Texas, and now probably gets Mackenzie Mgbako decommit from Duke. Head Coach Self will be at 11 or 12 players depending on if McCullar returns with Harris, Adams, and Udeh. Self has also let 2 players transfer in order to pull this team together for 2023-24.

Then we look at Kentucky currently sitting at 7 players and possibly 9 if Oscar and Reeves returns to UK. We now have learned that both Oscar and Reeves is headed to the NBA Combine and Oscar has 4 or 5 NBA team Workouts. It still doesn't look good on Livingston's return to UK next season. Coach Cal has always been a Head Coach to tell recruits No one is guaranteed a starting position, Minutes per game, shots, and now Money(NIL). I just don't understand why we have sat around except for Dickinson and now Johnson on showing No Activity in the talent that the Transfer Portal could provide UK next season. We have 6'11 Grant Nelson avg. 18 and 10 last year, 6'9 Ron Holland decommit from Texas, then Guards Tyrin Lawrence, Jordan Dingle, Andrew Taylor, and other guards/shooters from the Portal. These 3 guards avg. approx. 20ppg. and shot 36%-38% from 3. There are other talented PF and guards/shooters in the Transfer Portal that UK should be looking at for next season. If we do get Oscar and Reeves back and would be at 9 players still a good PF and a guard/shooter and anyone else would put UK at 11 or 12 players next season. With our luck on the Injury Bug last 2-3 seasons and having multiple injuries during mid-SEC play heading down the stretch to March Madness you would think Cal would be going all out for a 6'11 Grant Nelson and a guard shooter like Dingle, Lawrence, or anyone else in the portal. Kentucky can't continue like last 2-3 seasons with the injuries and then having NO Bench Depth when heading to March Madness. I am not a fan of Self but applaud what he has done for Kansas for the 2023-24 season!

Self hasn't waited around to see if anyone was returning from the draft, nor has he checked with any player to see if it was ok to add players. He did just what a coach should do........get the best players possible to improve you team. Apparently ccc doesn't understand this concept as he has done nothing to improve the roster, and the fans will be the ones suffering thru another less than stellar season.

Well I wouldn't go that far. The title was great, but it's no where near Kentucky from 2010 to 2015. I don't think any school is some "gold standard" in 2023.

12022-23Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round1Bill Self (24-8), Norm Roberts (4-0)
22021-22Big 12Won NCAA Tournament National Final1Bill Self (34-6)
32020-21Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round3Bill Self (21-9)
42019-20Big 12Bill Self (28-3)
52018-19Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round4Bill Self (26-10)

Two notes I want to emphasize because they will 100% come up:

1. I dont care if Kansas was any sort of favorite in the cancelled COVID year, because a. Kansas is often A favorite and b. I keep being told that it didn't matter for Kentucky who was also on the short list of teams who could win it in that same year.
2. I also don't care that Self had health complications last year. Kentucky has had to deal with actual players being injured.. which cost us wins, final 4s, and titles. Again, if we don't apply it to Kentucky, I don't want to hear the excuses for Kansas.
The truth is, just about everyone would take missing ncaat or first/second round exits 4/5 years if that one year was a championship. And if you wouldn't take that you're an idiot.

• Love
Reactions: bookerfan66
No inside source but….. Mgbako to Indiana on Friday!
Nobody has any inside sources on this one. Those rival picks are just guesses. They even said so. Rival guys are known to switch picks. If I had to guess I’d say Kansas too but at a 60% confidence level.

The truth is, just about everyone would take missing ncaat or first/second round exits 4/5 years if that one year was a championship. And if you wouldn't take that you're an idiot.

I think I'd want a LITTLE more consistency than those 5 years I posted. But this goes to my point of hills and valleys.

I think I'd want a LITTLE more consistency than those 5 years I posted. But this goes to my point of hills and valleys.
So it's been a while since I've looked but I'm pretty sure the best teams since ncaat started win once every 8-9 years. So if you've got a chance to basically double the rate of championships you're silly not to take it.

So it's been a while since I've looked but I'm pretty sure the best teams since ncaat started win once every 8-9 years. So if you've got a chance to basically double the rate of championships you're silly not to take it.

I'm not convinced at all that Kansas is winning shit in the next few years, if that's what you're getting at. If we're being honest, Kansas has been a disappointment in March. That's just a fact. Winning the title last year doesn't necessarily mean that has changed, and it certainly doesn't erase the past.

IF they can win a title in the next few years, sure you take it. But I'd also like to see an Elite8/Final4 thrown in as well.

I'm not convinced at all that Kansas is winning shit in the next few years, if that's what you're getting at. If we're being honest, Kansas has been a disappointment in March. That's just a fact. Winning the title last year doesn't necessarily mean that has changed, and it certainly doesn't erase the past.

IF they can win a title in the next few years, sure you take it. But I'd also like to see an Elite8/Final4 thrown in as well.
Nah, I have no faith in KU to win consistently. I'm just pointing out regardless of results in a 5 year period, a title thrown in makes that 5 year period a resounding success regardless of the result of the other 4 years. Of course I want to be competitive every year and always have a shot, just saying KUs results over last 5 years have been great even with the upsets in the tourney.

Nah, I have no faith in KU to win consistently. I'm just pointing out regardless of results in a 5 year period, a title thrown in makes that 5 year period a resounding success regardless of the result of the other 4 years. Of course I want to be competitive every year and always have a shot, just saying KUs results over last 5 years have been great even with the upsets in the tourney.

I guess I could get on board with "great", because titles are still titles. But I think it gets downgraded pretty quick if they keep going back to being chokers. Like if they lose opening weekend this season, especially with how badly their fans (and our fans, apparently?) are blowing up Dickinson/Mgbako.. then that's not a great 6 year stretch anymore.

Of course, this doesn't validate or exonerate how mediocre Kentucky has been, I'm not going to pretend our last 6 years are on par with Kansas'.. but at the same time, we're not talking about Kentucky. This is about how good we think Kansas will be with their new additions, replacing what's leaving.

I guess I could get on board with "great", because titles are still titles. But I think it gets downgraded pretty quick if they keep going back to being chokers. Like if they lose opening weekend this season, especially with how badly their fans (and our fans, apparently?) are blowing up Dickinson/Mgbako.. then that's not a great 6 year stretch anymore.

Of course, this doesn't validate or exonerate how mediocre Kentucky has been, I'm not going to pretend our last 6 years are on par with Kansas'.. but at the same time, we're not talking about Kentucky. This is about how good we think Kansas will be with their new additions, replacing what's leaving.
I guess it just depends on your definition of success for a blue blood. The absolute #1 goal is championships.

Would you rather in a 10 year period win 3 championships, miss the tourney 2 times and have 5 first round upsets as a #1 seed or win 1 championship, 5 runner ups and 9 final fours?

Clearly the 2nd example is about as impressive a run a team could have for that span but only closing the deal once? I'll take the 3 championships...

Reactions: Jmeeks54thebest
Correct me if any of this is wrong, but this is what's leaving Kansas this year. I don't care WHO you having coming in.. a non-NBA big in Dickinson, a barely top10 recruit in Mgbako.. there's no reason to be prematurely scared of a team that's losing this much below. And I'm really confused as to why some Kentucky fans think the below is OK, but would lose their shit if this was us.

Kansas.png

Correct me if any of this is wrong, but this is what's leaving Kansas this year. I don't care WHO you having coming in.. a non-NBA big in Dickinson, a barely top10 recruit in Mgbako.. there's no reason to be prematurely scared of a team that's losing this much below. And I'm really confused as to why some Kentucky fans think the below is OK, but would lose their shit if this was us.

Kansas.png
Didn't Zuby just enter the portal? Thought I saw UK reached out.

Edit: but I agree with you, and Self does his best damage with experience in his system. Not seeing them putting it all together.

I guess it just depends on your definition of success for a blue blood. The absolute #1 goal is championships.

Would you rather in a 10 year period win 3 championships, miss the tourney 2 times and have 5 first round upsets as a #1 seed or win 1 championship, 5 runner ups and 9 final fours?

Clearly the 2nd example is about as impressive a run a team could have for that span but only closing the deal once? I'll take the 3 championships...

The kink here is Final4's.. I think it's the one thing in sports, that's not a championship, yet is almost as good as one. No other sport has a runner up achievement thats on the level of a Final4.

I would take 3 titles in 10 years as well. But that's also extremely difficult to obtain.

Whatever makes you feel good,keep drinking it.
You seem mad that you can't comprehend facts. Does KU have great regular seasons and look poised for a final four run most years? Yes. But the facts that I presented you mean that isn't the actual reality of what happens. I don't understand what I'm drinking.

You seem mad that you can't comprehend facts. Does KU have great regular seasons and look poised for a final four run most years? Yes. But the facts that I presented you mean that isn't the actual reality of what happens. I don't understand what I'm drinking.
Basing on facts,it's not that hard to understand that they have outperformed us over the last 3-4 seasons.They overtook us on the all time wins list,they have a title plus conference titles,average around 30 wins a season and consistently get 1 or 2 seeds in the dance..I hate it as well but it's not that damn hard to see unless your wearing Calipari glasses or drunk on Calipari shine.

Well I wouldn't go that far. The title was great, but it's no where near Kentucky from 2010 to 2015. I don't think any school is some "gold standard" in 2023.

12022-23Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round1Bill Self (24-8), Norm Roberts (4-0)
22021-22Big 12Won NCAA Tournament National Final1Bill Self (34-6)
32020-21Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round3Bill Self (21-9)
42019-20Big 12Bill Self (28-3)
52018-19Big 12Lost NCAA Tournament Second Round4Bill Self (26-10)

Two notes I want to emphasize because they will 100% come up:

1. I dont care if Kansas was any sort of favorite in the cancelled COVID year, because a. Kansas is often A favorite and b. I keep being told that it didn't matter for Kentucky who was also on the short list of teams who could win it in that same year.
2. I also don't care that Self had health complications last year. Kentucky has had to deal with actual players being injured.. which cost us wins, final 4s, and titles. Again, if we don't apply it to Kentucky, I don't want to hear the excuses for Kansas.
2015 was a long time ago for a 18-19 year college kid. UK's record for the same period of time shown above is even less impressive. But, anyone who watches ESPN can easily tell that Kansas has been elevated to "IT program" status. Meanwhile UK has been downgraded.

Basing on facts,it's not that hard to understand that they have outperformed us over the last 3-4 seasons.They overtook us on the all time wins list,they have a title plus conference titles,average around 30 wins a season and consistently get 1 or 2 seeds in the dance..I hate it as well but it's not that damn hard to see unless your wearing Calipari glasses or drunk on Calipari shine.
What does that have to do with your claim that "They are in contention year in and year out for final fours"?

What does that have to do with your claim that "They are in contention year in and year out for final fours"?
I'd say that if you earn a number 1 or 2 seed,that makes you in serious contention regardless if you lose in the second round.
Now your gonna disagree with that and that's fine.I guess you prefer 6 seeds and lower.....

I'd say that if you earn a number 1 or 2 seed,that makes you in serious contention regardless if you lose in the second round.
Now your gonna disagree with that and that's fine.I guess you prefer 6 seeds and lower.....
You keep assuming things and they make no sense. A team should be Favored to make the elite eight or final four as a 1 or 2 seed but that doesn't equate to your claim.

Why would I prefer 6 seeds or lower, silly.

• Haha
You keep assuming things and they make no sense. A team should be Favored to make the elite eight or final four as a 1 or 2 seed but that doesn't equate to your claim.

Why would I prefer 6 seeds or lower, silly.
Dude I answered my your question,it's not that hard to figure out.I mean if you want to act incompetent then have it but it's not to assuming if your a 1 seed or a 2 seed just about every season to be considered a final 4 threat.

• Haha
Reactions: JwUKFan11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT