ADVERTISEMENT

Gonzaga has no chance

Total tournament wins falling behind North Carolina as well.
Sweet GIF

Mark Few is a good HC - if he was anywhere else he'd be an absolute legend.

Imagine if Few had more resources.

FWIW, Gonaga has Anton Watson as a 5th year senior, who in normal basketball years, wouldn't have eligibility left. I know we've used this as well, but I think teams getting to utilize 5th and 6th year players, at 24 years of age, does make a pretty nice difference when Cal is using a lot of freshman.

Not that's it any excuse.. but it will be nice when this is over. Gonzaga wouldn't have one of it's best players this year.. and sure, without him they probably add someone else.. but that "someone else" is still new to the program, likely a few years of less experience or possibly even an unproven freshman.. That makes a big difference.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
FWIW, Gonaga has Anton Watson as a 5th year senior, who in normal basketball years, wouldn't have eligibility left. I know we've used this as well, but I think teams getting to utilize 5th and 6th year players, at 24 years of age, does make a pretty nice difference when Cal is using a lot of freshman.

Not that's it any excuse.. but it will be nice when this is over. Gonzaga wouldn't have one of it's best players this year.. and sure, without him they probably add someone else.. but that "someone else" is still new to the program, likely a few years of less experience or possibly even an unproven freshman.. That makes a big difference.

Gohlke transferred from a D-2 team to Oakland. Along with the covid year, the transfer portal has changed college basketball. Then you have NIL. The game has changed and coaches have to change with it.

Gohlke transferred from a D-2 team to Oakland. Along with the covid year, the transfer portal has changed college basketball. Then you have NIL. The game has changed and coaches have to change with it.

It seems like schools with quality existing players in 2020, got a very nice boost. Where as any school that was going heavy on top recruits (Duke, UK primarily) or schools that just had their nice runs with quality experience (gonzaga, Virginia, Villanova) kind of missed the boat.

It was totally random, nothing nefarious.. butbthat covid transfer rule certainly helped a ton of schools out.

Reactions: saxonburgcat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT