ADVERTISEMENT

Lying About Past Accomplishments In Sports

May not be the most impressive, but I may have the most unusual sports accomplishment on this board.
In HS (I know, I know) I struck out a midget in 4 pitches.

Not exaggerating his size, he was at most 4' tall, and he then crouched in the batters box, coming in late in the game as a pinch hitter. Did not swing nor intend to. After the game his coach said that was the first time ever he was not walked.

May also have the least impressive.
My last pitch in HS (district tournament) was a HR ball, and the same hitter also started the inning w/ a HR off of me. Yes, gave up 2 HR to the same batter in the same inning.
Did you know if you hit him over the head with a shovel—he would’ve turned into 40 gold coins ?

I pulled an unassisted triple play when I was 13. I was pitching. Batter hit a little blooper towards the short stop. Both runners went but I caught the ball tagged the runner headed to third and then ran down the kid running to second when he turned around. It was a damn fine play.
That’s the rarest occurring stat in MLB.

Reactions: chroix
I've had 3 Double Eagles (but zero holes in one).

One happened first day of Member/Member tournament.
On that round, best you could score was birdie and worst a bogey.

So on par 5 second hole, I flew a 2 iron in the cup.
I made a "2" but had to write down a "4".

Reactions: Aike
Hit a turn around fade away 20 footer to win beer pong game at a college party in old Louisville. Crowd went wild.

In little league, I hit a grand slam and we won 5-4. I got the game ball which had a black mark on it from where the Easton “big barrel” smacked it. I was not a great athlete but that was my high point probably.

Reactions: Skyguyb27
I beat Michael Jordan in one on one in high school.

Checkmated him in twelve moves.

In all seriousness, I am a self taught golfer, single digit handicap never had a lesson.
Me as well and didn’t start playing until I was in my 30’s. It is a very difficult game but can be rewarding.

I was Channel 18 News “Hit of the Week” 2 times during the 1986 Ky High School Football Season, Alan Cutler mentioned my name on Saturday morning football review. Nobody else was a 2 time winner in the same year!

Reactions: J_Dee
I won't address specifics, but I have learned to disregard any post where the poster tries to validate himself or his opinion by mentioning his high school sports career.

Nearly ALL of us remember ourselves as better athletes than we actually were, that's just a natural male instinct, although the extent to which we embellish to cover insecurities varies from person to person. So I've learned not to pay attention to that talk. I judge a post based upon its logic and reasoning..period ..that you claim to have once averaged whatever for Podunk County HS means nothing to me.
The greatest coaches aren't/weren't the best players. You might have been a scoring machine, but it doesn't mean you can design plays, for example. Totally different mindset and skills.

The greatest coaches aren't/weren't the best players. You might have been a scoring machine, but it doesn't mean you can design plays, for example. Totally different mindset and skills.
More often than not, it is the guys on the bench for years that make the best coaches. They are watching the game from a different perspective, and able to watch their coaches. Another reason is that the game usually "comes easy" to the best players, making it difficult for them to understand most players don't see what they see, can't do what they once could do.

I absolutely dusted Ronnie Griffin (RIP) playing 1-on-1 when he was at EKU. He was a top 20 national recruit at one point.

I hear similar things in the Adult Baseball Leagues in which I play. There's always someone, on just about every team, that will claim that they either made it to AAA or AA ball but you can tell that they probably never even played in HS. Had one guy claim that in an entire season as a pitcher, he had more wins than walks.
Damn you played Rec league with Greg Maddux?

I had relations with over 20,000 women....oh wait that wasn't me.
I had a roommate that screwed over 3000 lbs in one semester. Him and 3 other guys bet $1000 on who could screw the most poundage in a semester. Only rule was no girl could be counted twice. Weight estimates were on honor system. You should have seen some of robust women he bought back to the dorm.

Well when Kyle Schwarber was a freshman in high school (I was a junior), I struck him out the first two at-bats. But the third at-bat he hit a ball back so hard at my shin I couldn’t pitch for two weeks. I did manage to throw him out at first base though.

I had a roommate that screwed over 3000 lbs in one semester. Him and 3 other guys bet $1000 on who could screw the most poundage in a semester. Only rule was no girl could be counted twice. Weight estimates were on honor system. You should have seen some of robust women he bought back to the dorm.
We played this on Friday nights in Richmond, everyone throw in $20 and who picked up the ugliest woman got the money. Hogging 101 is what we called it.

We played this on Friday nights in Richmond, everyone throw in $20 and who picked up the ugliest woman got the money. Hogging 101 is what we called it.
I forget what name they had on the poster board that kept track of the competition, but, it did have hog in the title. I would guess you and your friends got extremely drunk on Friday nights.

Reactions: YardCat
I swear I got off a pitcher named Dave Fleming that came in second in rookie of the year voting when he played for the Mariners when I was playing in HS. I swear it happened. It was just a ground ball up the middle but it was a legit hit against a guy that went on to play major league baseball. I am that important.
You got off a pitcher?

Like morg I also won the knights of Columbus free throw state championship but actually did it twice, first at 12 and then 14. 2nd time was in 1982 and finals began right after listening to the cats fall in the dream game. My prize was a signed basketball by the 82 team (still have it). Morg said they shot 100 free throws but we only shot 25 at every stop of the competition. Think I won with 20/25.

For a $1000 bucks to a college kid, yeah line up the bigguns. And he probably felt like he was doing them a favor.

I once stopped a car on Rose Street in front of Biological Sciences Bld (this back in early 90’s), two females in car, nice looking college girls. I convinced the driver to make out with me through the driver side window. In a span of two minutes, sitting in the street. Hell of an accomplishment at the time.

Reactions: KYCAT78
For a $1000 bucks to a college kid, yeah line up the bigguns. And he probably felt like he was doing them a favor.
My roommate was from a wealthy family and was one crazy guy. His mother told him one night when they came to visit him that he was despicable. He was a Attorney and later became Solicitor of Chattanooga.

I hold the world's record for most time on the bench..I think or maybe a tie..

A true story.
Not a good golfer, but made a hole in one on same hole in back to back rounds,
Never made one before or after or had an eagle anywhere except then.
I have been a golfer for 47 years and I have never made a hole in one. 6 inches is as close as I ever got. Sort of hard to believe in my prime I was a 7 hdcp. and never made a hole in one.

Barry Sanders (THEE Barry Sanders) once asked me to join in a pick-up basketball at a park in Rochester Hills, MI. I had just finished playing a baseball game for my high school, did not have any hooping shoes with me.

Me and my two buddies sat there and watched him play for a good hour or so.

100% true.
When Michael Jordan was playing baseball in Birmingham some guy I know said he and his friends were playing a pick up game on a outdoor court and MJ drove up and asked to shoot with them.

Reactions: Jamal Mercer
I swear I got off a pitcher named Dave Fleming that came in second in rookie of the year voting when he played for the Mariners when I was playing in HS. I swear it happened. It was just a ground ball up the middle but it was a legit hit against a guy that went on to play major league baseball. I am that important.
Uh ………. You sure you said what you meant ?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT