ADVERTISEMENT

Lying About Past Accomplishments In Sports

In a grade school basketball game, a guy on the other team got the tip and drove toward our basket. I ran him down and fouled him shooting at our basket. The refs gave him 2 free throws at his basket. I have since learned that was the wrong call. I wish that story was a lie.

Last edited:
I was all conference, all region(state region), all state, and all south in high school(twice for each). In college, I was all conference and all mideast region(three times for each) and was inducted into my college hall of fame. I made my college conferences all decade team.

I used to be able to slalom ski through the course with two sections off-even did it on my first try ever. I used to be a pretty good athlete.

Last edited:
I hold the world's record for most time on the bench..I think or maybe a tie..

A true story.
Not a good golfer, but made a hole in one on same hole in back to back rounds,
Never made one before or after or had an eagle anywhere except then.

In 4th grade I hit a half-court buzzer beater. It was the only 2 points I scored all season.

I met several guys that “could’ve, would’ve, should’ve played hoops at UK”. According to them, they were being recruited heavily, but something always happened. Grades, etc. Most of them, were decent ball players, but unless you’ve played sports against Major D1 athletes, you don’t realize how good you have to be.

I worked with a guy who was 5’10 & about 280. Claimed he was recruited to play HB for USC & UCLA lol

Also worked with a guy who claimed he is the All Time leading scorer for South Laurel HS. Never checked it, but I highly doubt it

I have done nothing worth noting, no amazing golf shots, no hits other than as occasional double, no 3's at the buzzer, or even 3's during regulation. Once beat Willie Hoppe at Pool [at least that's what he said his name was anyway], Been through a J C Penney store, went to a county fair, and learned to ride a bicycle when I was 8-9. That's all folks..What's up Doc?

Funny story.... My junior year of HS, about 7 of us go to Evansville for the Semi-State. In between sessions, we go to a park to play some ball. We are all decked out in our "warm-up gear". Anyways....we find a game. There are these dudes, IN JEANS, shooting around. Hell one was smoking.[laughing]

Eventually one of the dudes yells---"Y'all wanna run"?

We look at one another, laugh and say, "sure". We had a very good team that year....And of the 7 of us that went, 4 of us were starters. We won 17 games. Two of us would play college ball---Not me. Though I did play baseball. Anyways.....I mean, these dudes are IN JEANS...One dude is smoking....All of them were drinking. Yeah, this will take maybe 20 minutes. So as we we are walking over, my buddy goes---"No trash talking...no showbaoting..Lets just beat these dudes, and well, be nice about it...

Well, just ONE BIG ASS problem.

These dudes could play. I mean, really play. We check the ball. Run an actual set; play was called "BIrd". Easy backdoor bucket...

Nope. This dude damn near pins my shit through the backboard.

Quick outlet, and the dude who was smoking, takes about 4 dribbles, and absolutely hammers the mudder****er. We all lookat one another like...

"WTF did we get ourselves into."

Those dudes beat our asses...

A good friend and I won a Rook tournament at a small Wesley Foundation (student center for Methodist students) during college. I had a very good partner so have to give her some credit!

Reactions: IUfanBorden
In honor of all of the lying that has been going on in and out of the sports world, what are the most egregious claims that someone has accomplished?

-One claim that he played intramurals at EKU, and said that he once scored ~75 points in a game without missing a shot. He said that he was drunk when he played. Mind you, this guy is pretty decent but 75 points without missing a shot? Years earlier, when alluding to this game, he said he hit 17 three-point shots.
-Several claimed to have played college ball at a major University. One said that he wore # 19.
-Another claimed to have run for 400 yards in a game as a QB in High School
-Another claimed to have bowled more than 100 perfect games

Do you believe any of these?
The greatest public lie of our generation is "I did not have sex with that woman, Ms. Lewinsky" by WJC. Runner-up is Senator Blumenthal claiming to have served in special forces in Vietnam. Those set a new standard for deliberate deceit in public life, and gave cover for all that followed by desensitizing people to public dishonesty.

The greatest sports lie I remember would be Jerry Sandusky publicly denying felony assaults at Penn State. Runner-up would be Pitino insisting he knew nothing about cheating at UL or the Kansas AD statement saying he has full confidence Bill Self is running a clean basketball program.

I met several guys that “could’ve, would’ve, should’ve played hoops at UK”. According to them, they were being recruited heavily, but something always happened. Grades, etc. Most of them, were decent ball players, but unless you’ve played sports against Major D1 athletes, you don’t realize how good you have to be.

I worked with a guy who was 5’10 & about 280. Claimed he was recruited to play HB for USC & UCLA lol

Also worked with a guy who claimed he is the All Time leading scorer for South Laurel HS. Never checked it, but I highly doubt it

One thing I can say, starting when I first started my UK stats website which listed past UK players, I didn't realize how many people there were around the state and country who had claimed to their friends, co-workers and family that they played basketball for UK who didn't. It was almost like a cottage industry of such people.

I used to regularly get inquiries from people asking why such and such person wasn't listed on the website. Even had some families who were writing obituaries for their fathers etc. wondering why they weren't listed.

What I usually say is that I only list players who I have a first-hand record that they saw action in a game (so usually if they show up in a boxscore).

Some of these people likely did have some relationship with the team. For example they might have been part of a practice squad or scrimmaged with the team or were on the freshman team etc. but unless they saw action in a varsity game they're not included in the website.

Others I think were just straight-up imposters who claimed something they shouldn't have. I guess they never figured that anyone would be able to check.

I used to get these inquiries regularly. At one point in order to at least acknowledge the high number of people who played on freshmen teams who didn't see varsity action, I did put together a mini-website devoted specifically to trying to include information on the Freshmen squads.

Link to UK Freshman Team Info

The good thing is this doesn't happen nearly as much as it once did. I guess they've caught on not to try to be so grandiose with their boasts.

Played at Trinity and won 3 state championships. I only played meaningful minutes in 2 of them. I still claim the 3 tho. Slot WR if anyones wondering.

I played D1 baseball and was scouted by the Mets, Marlins, White Sox, and Braves.

I was throwing 93 with a slider at 88, change at 77.

trinity state titles lol.

My father was recruited to play basketball at UK. He’s got the letters to prove it. Was drafted into Vietnam and couldn’t play.

Reactions: CatFanInIlliniLand
Funny story.... My junior year of HS, about 7 of us go to Evansville for the Semi-State. In between sessions, we go to a park to play some ball. We are all decked out in our "warm-up gear". Anyways....we find a game. There are these dudes, IN JEANS, shooting around. Hell one was smoking.[laughing]

We look at one another, laugh and say, "sure". We had a very good team that year....And of the 7 of us that went, 4 of us were starters. We won 17 games. Two of us would play college ball---Not me. Though I did play baseball. Anyways.....I mean, these dudes are IN JEANS...One dude is smoking....All of them were drinking. Yeah, this will take maybe 20 minutes. So as we we are walking over, my buddy goes---"No trash talking...no showbaoting..Lets just beat these dudes, and well, be nice about it...

These dudes could play. I mean, really play. We check the ball. Run an actual set; play was called "BIrd". Easy backdoor bucket...

Quick outlet, and the dude who was smoking, takes about 4 dribbles, and absolutely hammers the mudder****er. We all lookat one another like...

The title of this story: That time my friends and I played against Black guys.

My father was recruited to play basketball at UK. He’s got the letters to prove it. Was drafted into Vietnam and couldn’t play.
My grandfather was recruited by UK and IU. Rupp and McCracken. Bad cat wreck as a junior, ruined that.

May not be the most impressive, but I may have the most unusual sports accomplishment on this board.
In HS (I know, I know) I struck out a midget in 4 pitches.

Not exaggerating his size, he was at most 4' tall, and he then crouched in the batters box, coming in late in the game as a pinch hitter. Did not swing nor intend to. After the game his coach said that was the first time ever he was not walked.

May also have the least impressive.
My last pitch in HS (district tournament) was a HR ball, and the same hitter also started the inning w/ a HR off of me. Yes, gave up 2 HR to the same batter in the same inning.

Reactions: chroix
Barry Sanders (THEE Barry Sanders) once asked me to join in a pick-up basketball at a park in Rochester Hills, MI. I had just finished playing a baseball game for my high school, did not have any hooping shoes with me.

Me and my two buddies sat there and watched him play for a good hour or so.

100% true.

The unassisted triple play must be pretty common. I had one years ago as a shortstop in a softball game -- A left handed batter hit a rocket near second. I was shading him that way and caught it on a line. My momentum took me over second base and into the path of the runner from first, who had been racing full speed and had to try to reverse direction, so I was able to tag him easier than throwing to first.

It happened so fast, nobody even acted like it was a big deal, including me.

As for lying about sports, yeah, I had a good friend who both just missed playing middle linebacker for the USC Trojans - he'd been All-Los Angeles he said -- and playing catcher for the Dodgers -- he was the last cut at spring training, he said. Tommy LaSorda told him it was a tough decision but he couldn't hit major league curve balls...

It didn't bug me that much. He was a good guy otherwise. He just was insecure and needed to top my relatively modest sports accomplishments. I got that.

https://www.baseball-almanac.com/feats/feats8.shtml

It’s not that common. Probably way more so at low levels but still gets you some bragging rights. Congrats.

Reactions: MdWIldcat55
It hit a baseball that would have been a home run, but I ran to the centerfield wall and jumped 12’ in the air to catch it as it was going over the wall.

we are supposed to be telling lies, right?

Playing fast pitch softball while in the military, we had a pitcher who had defeated Eddie Feigner of The King and His Court. We took on all comers for beer and never lost. The beer was good.

Reactions: chroix
I once "scored" in the all-females' dorm when i was a freshman living in Hagan's Hall!

(unfortunately it cost me a trip to the "penalty box"... aka Health Clinic :(

Go CATS!
Donavan was not too hard to sneak into. ahhhhh, the good ol days.

The greatest sports lie I remember would be Jerry Sandusky publicly denying felony assaults at Penn State. Runner-up would be Pitino insisting he knew nothing about cheating at UL or the Kansas AD statement saying he has full confidence Bill Self is running a clean basketball program.
I understand the dislike for Rick, and I guess Kansas. But neither of those come close to the disgusting actions that took place at Baylor.......Or at Michigan State.

Reactions: ashlandcatfan600
I scored on Mark Pope in a pick up game when I was in high school

It's true he was at a church lock-in I went to and I scored on him. He wasn't really playing hard as you can imagine, and 14-16 year old me ran his mouth a bit.

I didn't score again lol

Did they invite you for pancakes afterward?

Funny darned post.

I do remember a couple of players from Allen Central smoking a lot of weed before some big games. And these two guys were damn good! One went on to play for Wisconsin.

I do remember a couple of players from Allen Central smoking a lot of weed before some big games. And these two guys were damn good! One went on to play for Wisconsin.

Jeremy Hall is who played for Wisconsin. I'm also betting you're thinking of Thomas Jenkins. Jeremy was a SR and Thomas was a freshman when they went to state. He ended up at Morehead for a season. He got to start against UK.

Reactions: villefan76
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT