ADVERTISEMENT

Lying About Past Accomplishments In Sports

This is not a lie, but the truth. I once beat a former major league baseball player who homered in one of the most famous World Series game sevens in the history of baseball, in a round of golf. Sank an 8 footer for par on the final hole to win by one. It would have been even more impressive if not for the fact that I was 35 and he was 80. Talk about pressure. You don't know pressure until you need an 8 footer to beat an 80 year old, lol.

Also, it is so funny how we like to embellish our past. I teach and coach in the same school district that I grew up and went to school in. I've been coaching in the past and will seemingly always hear some kid's dad telling other kids how good he was and what a great athlete he was. And I'm like, "dude, you sucked just like I did. I was right there on the sidelines right beside you 35 years ago." It's like people forget that other people were around when they were younger.

Also, it is so funny how we like to embellish our past. I teach and coach in the same school district that I grew up and went to school in. I've been coaching in the past and will seemingly always hear some kid's dad telling other kids how good he was and what a great athlete he was. And I'm like, "dude, you sucked just like I did. I was right there on the sidelines right beside you 35 years ago." It's like people forget that other people were around when they were younger.
Always good to re-live the glory days though and by that I mean being able to move at any kind of speed without immediately popping a hammy.

My high school basketball coach, reminded the team that these jerseys and shoes are an honor to wear and not every kid gets to wear the uniform. We were like one of the worst teams in our region though. Heck, I sat the bench most of the time.

One teammate said, your best games are when we practice.

Talk about warming the bench.

I have been a golfer for 47 years and I have never made a hole in one. 6 inches is as close as I ever got. Sort of hard to believe in my prime I was a 7 hdcp. and never made a hole in one.
I got one when I was a 26 hcap (now am about a 20) on what was otherwise maybe my worst round ever. Shot a 124 with a hole-in-1. It was such a bad day, I get to the next tee box (#13 at Duke) and my friend says what are you doing. Me: I’m about to tee off. Him: not with that ball you’re not. Me: Sean, I have to that is my last ball (I had already lost about 10 that day. Him: tosses me a ball

This is not a lie, but the truth. I once beat a former major league baseball player who homered in one of the most famous World Series game sevens in the history of baseball, in a round of golf. Sank an 8 footer for par on the final hole to win by one. It would have been even more impressive if not for the fact that I was 35 and he was 80. Talk about pressure. You don't know pressure until you need an 8 footer to beat an 80 year old, lol.
I played with 3 strangers last month, 2 guys my age, and one’s 82 yr old dad.
Except the old guy could really play!!!! Consistently hitting 250-270 yd drives in the fairway. My best drive of the day was 10 yd behind him. I asked the son if he shoots his age? He said not quite, he shoots in the mid 80’s.

1986. It was our Homecoming game and we were hosting Etown. I ran the second half kickoff back for a touchdown. Couldn’t wait to watch the film after practice on Monday. Our student manager filmed our games, someone was running the microwave in the press box, and it screwed up the tape. I found out another guy had filmed the game and turns out he went to the restroom/concessions at halftime and missed the opening kick off. Never got to see it on film.

I got one when I was a 26 hcap (now am about a 20) on what was otherwise maybe my worst round ever. Shot a 124 with a hole-in-1. It was such a bad day, I get to the next tee box (#13 at Duke) and my friend says what are you doing. Me: I’m about to tee off. Him: not with that ball you’re not. Me: Sean, I have to that is my last ball (I had already lost about 10 that day. Him: tosses me a ball
Great story. Did you buy drinks after the round.

This was back when I was a grad assistant in sports information at my alma mater in the late aughts.

A judge who was an alumnus was retiring and he had apparently been telling people his entire adult life he played on one of the sports teams here, I think it was basketball but that’s irrelevant.

So his friends were throwing a retirement party for him and asked us to dig up pictures. It was the dead period of summer so we said sure.

We looked up in the yearbooks for the years he attended so we can maybe find a roster with numbers and perhaps some pictures. We couldn’t find him anywhere, not even on the JV rosters.

Man had been lying his entire adult life about playing low-level NAIA basketball.

We contacted the people back to let them know he never played here lol. I can’t remember if they ever contacted us back after that.

I've had 3 Double Eagles (but zero holes in one).

One happened first day of Member/Member tournament.
On that round, best you could score was birdie and worst a bogey.

So on par 5 second hole, I flew a 2 iron in the cup.
I made a "2" but had to write down a "4".
Maybe so, but you remember it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT