ADVERTISEMENT

Let's never again wonder why they hate us.

Well, here's the thing, there have been instances since I have been watching Kentucky basketball that warranted my anger (laettner stomping Timberlake, Sparks's three that would've won the game against Michigan State in the tournament, every time UK plays uoflol, etc.) but what happened Sunday evening was egregious to the point it was criminal. Waiting until Humphries secured the ball before whistling Willis for a foul, Fox getting mugged at the end of the half, Fox's blocking call when the kid lowered his shoulder on him, Bam getting hugged like it was prom night and nothing called. I could go on and on and on. I don't think attacking his business is in good taste, but he is not in good taste in screwing a bunch of 18 year old kids over either.
This clown has cost UK 2 titles now, because UK could've beaten Oregon and Gonzaga/SoCar and they would've beaten dook like a rented mule.
People say UK fans are crazy? Well, I'd rather be crazy about a program who attempts to do things on the up and up rather than one who runs a prostitution ring or sham classes for two decades. Don't agree with me? That's ok. Chances are I am a little bit nuts.

Boo-hoo! Those mean UK fans just gave my business millions of dollars worth of free publicity!

Jesus - guy just needs to lock his Facebook page for a week, clean it up, and all the media shills that love to trash UK and our fans need to shut up about it and stop re-stoking the flames.

Reactions: Montana81
And yet you have no problem with this ref costing Cal thousands of dollars in bonuses or costing the players another opportunity to showcase their talents. I wonder why you so easily gloss over that.
Exactly, screw all the work put in by these young guys and staff working up to this and how it will stick in their craw the rest of their lives. A roofing business got trolled on Facebook!!!! Oh, the humanity....

I wouldn't bother to contact him or review his business but not surprised that people lashed out over a guy who has cost a program three national titles because of his crooked officiating.

This wasn't a "mistake." This isn't incompetence. This is a guy who has used his own bias and dislike to rob other individuals of their hard work and what they rightfully achieved. So it's supposed to be okay for him to intentionally hurt someone and then sit back and play victim?

Don't think so.

I'm not sure.... but plenty of people care. There were a bunch of recent posts on the sec thread griping about how the other schools don't root for uk in the tourney.

and how, or why, is that a problem? I assume they are fans of their own teams. Why would I expect them to root for us? How are we affected as a team or a fanbase by who they choose to root for?

Well, here's the thing, there have been instances since I have been watching Kentucky basketball that warranted my anger (laettner stomping Timberlake, Sparks's three that would've won the game against Michigan State in the tournament, every time UK plays uoflol, etc.) but what happened Sunday evening was egregious to the point it was criminal. Waiting until Humphries secured the ball before whistling Willis for a foul, Fox getting mugged at the end of the half, Fox's blocking call when the kid lowered his shoulder on him, Bam getting hugged like it was prom night and nothing called. I could go on and on and on. I don't think attacking his business is in good taste, but he is not in good taste in screwing a bunch of 18 year old kids over either.
This clown has cost UK 2 titles now, because UK could've beaten Oregon and Gonzaga/SoCar and they would've beaten dook like a rented mule.
People say UK fans are crazy? Well, I'd rather be crazy about a program who attempts to do things on the up and up rather than one who runs a prostitution ring or sham classes for two decades. Don't agree with me? That's ok. Chances are I am a little bit nuts.

He's cost us THREE Titles..we also go on to beat the crap out of Butler in the Title game if Higgins didn't screw us in the Final 4 vs. UConn in 2011.

I wouldn't bother to contact him or review his business but not surprised that people lashed out over a guy who has cost a program three national titles because of his crooked officiating.

This wasn't a "mistake." This isn't incompetence. This is a guy who has used his own bias and dislike to rob other individuals of their hard work and what they rightfully achieved. So it's supposed to be okay for him to intentionally hurt someone and then sit back and play victim?

Don't think so.
Exactly. He willfully chose to make these decisions. This is continuing course of conduct by an individual against a coach and his team over a several year period. And for that, he deserves to face the consequences. If it leads to his financial ruin, it's totally his fault. And I will be at peace if it does.

Reactions: qwesley
I'm not going to rehash the debate of whether or not the actions of some fans are approprate.
But I will say this: let's never again wonder why other fan bases hate uk or why other sec school's root against the cats.

Whether you agree with this lunacy or not.... it is indisputably divisive.

I know the answer: "who gives a **** what other fans think" is coming.
Fine. But again... let's not question why Kentucky is sometimes on an island of absolute disdain.
Well, thanks genius

1-People hate us because we win but also because many of us are obnoxious.

2-the game was the worst called game I have ever seen and I hate for this team to go out like that. I am still in a bit of a daze about it.

3-clowning Higgins mercilessly on here, mean photoshopping, even tweeting not nIce things to him are all fair game and to be expected. However, the actions of some have been counterproductive and over the line.

4-if we wanted to make change we should be organized and professional about it. Let the facts do the work. Otherwise we look like spoiled, ill mannered children.

I get the emotions out there but if we want action prank calls and facebook bombing are not going to get us anything but bad publicity.

I'm not going to rehash the debate of whether or not the actions of some fans are approprate.
But I will say this: let's never again wonder why other fan bases hate uk or why other sec school's root against the cats.

Whether you agree with this lunacy or not.... it is indisputably divisive.

I know the answer: "who gives a **** what other fans think" is coming.
Fine. But again... let's not question why Kentucky is sometimes on an island of absolute disdain.

Mrs.Higgins,

Please inform your husband that if he reestablishes his FB page, it will probably be overun again and again with angry UK fans.
Tough luck....

Yeah... I'm not so sure about that.

This post right here is all the evidence you need the OP is a Troll. All you have to do is think about it.... when you tell a fan of another team they are just jealous of UK... they say............ pretty much exactly what this guy did.

Also .......... Dont let his best buddy BBBLazingly stupid talk trash either.... both should be banned for bashing the BBN. 400 people dont speak for the whole of a fan base.

Higgins will be alright for the love of god..........he can get a new facebook page once this quiets down as well as a new phone number for his business. Dont feel sorry for a guy making 300,000$ a year officiating a game....

Reactions: lady wildcat
And yet you have no problem with this ref costing Cal thousands of dollars in bonuses or costing the players another opportunity to showcase their talents. I wonder why you so easily gloss over that.

Perspective, he didn't cost the players anything but a win. Their draft status is not affected by the game, period. And Cal losing thousands is about like me losing pennies. These things are a not akin to destroying a business.

Plus, Cal and the players, the people that you claim were wronged, aren't retaliating and haven't asked UK fans to do so on their behalf. It is being done b/c UK fans are mad their team lost, some blame Cal, some blaming the tourney committee and some blame Higgins.

Finally there is no proof that he intentionally made bad calls in UNC's favor, none.

You can try for a month but you'll never come up with justification for this, period. Rational folks understand that this is wrong without question.

This post right here is all the evidence you need the OP is a Troll. All you have to do is think about it.... when you tell a fan of another team they are just jealous of UK... they say............ pretty much exactly what this guy did.

Also .......... Dont let his best buddy BBBLazingly stupid talk trash either.... both should be banned for bashing the BBN. 400 people dont speak for the whole of a fan base.

Higgins will be alright for the love of god..........he can get a new facebook page once this quiets down as well as a new phone number for his business. Dont feel sorry for a guy making 300,000$ a year officiating a game....

Bahahahaha! Bam em all!
Flame on!

Higgins is hated in the Big 12 by every team EXCEPT Kansas. You need to look into his history. He is so bad that he brought in the FBI because of the number of death threats. He is protected by Shaw, who tells complainers that he will put in a worse ref if they don't shut up. In my view he was in the tourney ONLY to cover for Kansas. If you note the USA article attacking Kentucky, it's written by a Kansas grad and booster. They don't like their golden egg laying goose being attacked.
Higgins has called the greatest number of technical fouls of any ref in the NCAA. I can't find any called against Self or Kansas.
Who cares what they think? This guy is a cheater, a thief and a bully. Screw him and his supporters. I think he is on the take.

We've always been the "Evil Empire" as far as the SEC is concerned...and I bet is a reason why the SEC didn't want to integrate in the 60s...because they knew Rupp did want to integrate his team and knew as a result UK would become even more of an Evil Empire.

Simple as this . . . UK basketball has always been successful long before a lot of you dirtied your first diaper. We (the program/fanbase) were always somewhat hated because of that success but admired just as much for it. Today we are still hated but I think less admired as we've lost some of that admiration to ridicule.

I think we were more admired back then because our fan base as a whole had more class. Society as a whole was that way. Just as passionate but in a more mature way. Back then few games were on TV and there was no ESPN or daily talk shows etc so there wasn't this constant craving for attention. The fans had a lot of pride and wanted the team to win badly but it wasn't so much to satisfy this personal ego. pride etc.

Today with the program and sports in general on a National stage everyday, it intensifies that craving for attention (good or bad). And with UK Basketball being a national brand we are naturally going to have a lot more fringe over the top types than the others. That combination leads to a lot of goofey stuff.

The fact that many think it's better to be hated than admired says a lot. Yeah I know, I'm just an old stick in the mud . . . I admit I love the humorous stuff people have thrown out there, some of the stuff put on the facebook page was gold. But the other stuff is not just goofey but as the OP said, embarrassing plain and simple.

Reactions: kb22stang
Once again this is not a one off situation as Goodman would like to portray. It's happened multiple times. Death threats (if they happened), are ridiculous. That being said, Higgins is either totally inept, too biased to be calling our games, or corrupt. He should have never been put on this game and if this means he never does another of our games then it's worth it. The first half of that game was too obvious to overlook. Yet he got rewarded for it. If nothing was said or done this nonsense would continue. Now maybe it won't.

Simple as this . . . UK basketball has always been successful long before a lot of you dirtied your first diaper. We (the program/fanbase) were always somewhat hated because of that success but admired just as much for it. Today we are still hated but I think less admired as we've lost some of that admiration to ridicule.

I think we were more admired back then because our fan base as a whole had more class. Society as a whole was that way. Just as passionate but in a more mature way. Back then few games were on TV and there was no ESPN or daily talk shows etc so there wasn't this constant craving for attention. The fans had a lot of pride and wanted the team to win badly but it wasn't so much to satisfy this personal ego. pride etc.

Today with the program and sports in general on a National stage everyday, it intensifies that craving for attention (good or bad). And with UK Basketball being a national brand we are naturally going to have a lot more fringe over the top types than the others. That combination leads to a lot of goofey stuff.

The fact that many think it's better to be hated than admired says a lot. Yeah I know, I'm just an old stick in the mud . . . I admit I love the humorous stuff people have thrown out there, some of the stuff put on the facebook page was gold. But the other stuff is not just goofey but as the OP said, embarrassing plain and simple.

Well done!

My issue is that there were like 500 negative reviews on his website and a lot of them were probably done by the same people.

That's not even a fraction of a percentage of the part of our fanbase that's active online. Yet because of that we're all a "bunch of crazy, immoral rednecks that care too much about a game".

And even if we do nothing, they are still going to hate us. We're the most vocal and visible fanbase in the sport. They'll hate us just for being invested period.

I'm starting to think if it's going to be that way no matter we might as well embrace it. I say as a fanbase its full heel turn time baby.

He's not bashing the entire fan base.......... you are troll.

You lack reading comprehension skills. I've actually said in this thread the fan base is comprised of "great people and passionate fans", but collectively can sometimes look like loons. If you don't think the last couple days have demonstrated the latter… You are either a moron or out of touch with reality.
Despite this, I think the Kentucky basketball fan base is the greatest on sports.

Wow - hot topic - probably a no-win to weigh in on this one - but here goes.

I can see that the over-zealous reaction can give the fan base a bad look - but to suggest this is the sole reason that other fans hate UK is simply silly.

It's naive to think that an official - in a major sport - involving millions of dollars/titles/school pride - who's consistent systemic calls negatively impact a particular team - with a passionate fan base that examines every nuance of a game - is not going to eventually reap some consequences. His high ranking as an official would seem to negate the "Inept randon calls" argument. The fact that he has been involved with UK on much of this (though I read some similar reviews of him involuntarily penetrating Baylor) would lead most to make a connection between him and UK. The fact that some see him as corrupt is not unreasonable.

To impact the guy's "personal business" may be over the line - but consider the thought that he benefits from his extra curricular activities all the time. Many connections, etc., ETC. I doubt he has ever wanted to separate the two until maybe a time like now. The two have likely worked well hand in hand. Point being most of us don't get to live in a vacuum and section off our lives such that a decision in one area doesn't impact the other areas. I am not shocked at all that his on court decisions, when so poor and so consistently directed, impact him in total.

Very simple solution for him... Call the game fairly. Even better - come clean as to the poor calls you've made - why you made them - and stop it.

Last edited:
It's just a game. The problem with all these goofy actions is that it will lead to nothing more than other officials doing the same thing against Kentucky.

Not sure what you all thought this would accomplish. It will be nothing positive.

Reactions: kb22stang
They hate UK because their jealous of us.
I don't know that most other fans, sports announcers, coaches, etc. hate us or not. Most people couldn't care less. I don't believe THEY'RE jealous either.
I could sleep well every night either way. :sunglasses:
When we can do what the Conn. womens program, The Boston Celtics, and The UCLA Bruins mens team did; i.e. multiple titles in a row, people will be jealous.
BTW, I am not, nor have I ever been a fan, of the three teams I mentioned.
But, I am jealous that all have won multiple titles in a row.

Last edited:
Why would you be embarrassed by something another person did? When an extreme minority does something or some things stupid, who they cheer for is accidental. The issue is their lack of perspective and/or sanity. Cubs fans, Red Sox fans, Alabama fans, Kentucky fans, whoever it is that's mad and lacking perspective, it really doesn't matter who they cheer for. Attempts to lump 'em in with the vast majority of more sane people is a sloppy, lazy shaming method.

Hey at least we have a team that others think is worth hating! Because you know there's only one reason they would *looks up at our giant blue banners in Rupp Arena* :D

Why would you be embarrassed by something another person did? When an extreme minority does something or some things stupid, who they cheer for is accidental. The issue is their lack of perspective and/or sanity. Cubs fans, Red Sox fans, Alabama fans, Kentucky fans, whoever it is that's mad and lacking perspective, it really doesn't matter who they cheer for. Attempts to lump 'em in with the vast majority of more sane people is a sloppy, lazy shaming method.
I live in an area where people freaked out when they found out that two rival teams coaches were best friends. They couldn't understand how these guys could love and admire each other on and off the playing field. One of them was Paul Brown the Massillon Tigers coach who went on to coach Ohio State, The Browns and Bengals.
Can't remember the Canton McKinley coach, but, it drove the fans insane that these men were mature enough to compete on the field and get together after the games as best friends.

People are responsible for their own actions.

John Higgins created this.

This is not a singular event.

I have not harassed him in anyway.

I hope he never refs again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT