ADVERTISEMENT

This is what I see

Our WR and OL position coaches need to be replaced by more competent evaluators and developers of talent. I have seen enough to know Yenser and Woodward can't get it done.

But I see no rational reason to fire either of the coordinators. And I am certainly not buying some people's narratives that the entire athletics department has to be blown up. I have seen a lot of the latter today, but I know from prior experience that those crazies overreact and spew nonsense after every loss.
Yeah, those two position coaches are who the fans should be targeting. We have been waiting for improvement all season, and outside of the FL game, those positions have hurt the whole team. Got to be able to recruit and got to be able to demand the players fundamentals are solid. Not just one thing, we are talking about too many penalties, too many drops, missed blocks and as you said their recruiting not what it needs to be.

Reactions: grevey35
The role of college athletics....
... Now, we have militias and ideological militants ..
I just feel it is appropriate to maintain some kind of a sane perspective on college athletics, which are supposed to be healthy entertainment.

Save that for the political board...

Special teams

... OTOH, UK gave up a TD on a fake punt while UK's coaches were frantically signaling from the sideline to be alert for a fake. The player who gave up the TD reception was Andru Phillips, one of our two best cover CBs.

Philips got a nice shove for the receiver to get separation and the score. If you noticed his shoulders and head jerking a second before the ball arrived, that was the reason. I didn't see the staff signaling anything, but I said out loud it was a fake before the play. If the staff really wanted to be effective at alerting their players with the decibel level at 110, they might consult a rule book under the heading- TIMEOUT. We had 3.

Defense

... MO QB Brady Cook went 19-29 for 167 passing yards and 1 TD. Many of Cook's completions were checkdowns to secondary receivers when UK's defense had defended the primary well. But UK's defense only had one sack on Cook. On some of the checkdowns, UK defenders tackled the receiver after minimal gains. But on others, MO gained valuable first downs. Overall, these kinds of overall numbers would usually be associated with a UK W, not a L. ... Zion Childress and Khalil Saunders committed stupid, unnecessary personal fouls that extended MO drives at a time when UK was still squarely in the game. We should mention here that UK's defense was hurt badly because three injured starters, Keeshawn Silver, Trevin Wallace, and Jalen Geiger, missed the game. But our defense was not responsible for this loss.

Our defense played a part. It's a team game, but they played hard and were on the field too long. The officiating played a part on the continuation of several Mizzou possessions (but couldn't find a flag on quite a few extra shots, poor conduct, and holding by Mizzou). Philips played pretty well. We'd have been better served dropping people into coverage at times, but Cook was reading things well enough to overcome some of that.

Offense

Where to begin? We can't blame this game on Devin Leary. Leary did not play badly, and the late picks came when Leary was trying desparately to make something happen. ...
Without question. Also couldve used a little help with better play calls at key moments, but its entirely possible we commit another penalty, drop another pass, or the refs pull another flag out of their ass.

Ray Davis had another good game, but MO's defense made an adjustment by loading the box after the first quarter. Every future opponent will also do the same.

Loading up the box isn't an issue if the play calling is better, like the first 2 series. How do we get more of that?

This brings me to our OL. ... We could have won it.

Agreed. We were good enough to win it, but the staff has lost control of the team to this point. That game was U.G.L.Y. Our line was fine on the first 2 series. Again on one more series for the last score. The rest of it was just undisciplined or purposefully destructive, careless, and/or unsportsmanlike behavior.

Summing up

It has become a ritual for this football team to let the foot off the pedal and get outplayed in the 2nd quarter every week.

It's not like this is unique to THIS TEAM and THIS SEASON. BEFORE you go pumping sunshine up the ass of the staff, I'm going to call it like it most CERTAINLY is. THIS PROGRAM has routinely, ritually, and habitually LET ITS FOOT OFF THE GAS FOR 10 YEARS. The difference this year is that maybe these players don't want to play hard for their staff that routinely says they aren't good enough in very not so subtle ways.

All but the 2 years we've had Coen as OC, we couldn't get started fast. Now, with Coen, we do what we've done every season since the "tragedy against Southern Miss" that seems to have permanently scarred our tough guy HC, and that's pump the brakes when there's no reason to do so.

Lots of fans are dying to blame this on coaching

Yep. Some are dying to do it and others can see it for what it is- a failure from the leadership position. I don't blame Coen. I don't blame Marrow. I don't blame White. What I CAN plainly see is that there is a distance and disconnect between our HC and our team. Their is a SHORT in there in both how they respond to him and how he communicates.

If he spoke as well of his players as he does of coaches that ditch UK for other jobs, I'd think that would be a good start. He needs to start having some DISCIPLINE of his OWN if he's going to get any from his players. Keep the big mouth shut. Control your temper like you actually have some self control. He's leading by example and that example isn't the best.

Love the rest of what he's done for the program, and very thankful for it, but if he doesn't grow up and learn from these mistakes, neither will his teams and the program will stall and stagnate. Undisciplined and erratic teams don't get an even playing field in the SEC.

Rembrandt- Obviously, this team is not on the same page. There are problems in the locker room. Five of our starters and some key backups weren't even members of our team a year ago. They have displaced ther players who came here out of hs, and this is what can happen in the locker room.

Displacing players isn't the problem. Reminding the ones still here that they seemingly aren't good enough and can't be is the problem. Not building anyone up, but being quick to tear or dress them down publicly is a problem. He could learn a lot from Smart and Saban.

Rembrandt-
1. Do what is necessary to hold our 2024 recruiting class together. Stress to our commits that everyone will have opportunities to compete for jobs. Stay in close touch and convey the picture of a team and staff that continue to fight hard for improvement.

Only way to do that is to be a better coach and get some discipline. Grow emotionally and strategically. Stubbornness is a sign of weakness. None of your opponents are gonna tell you to stop being predictable.

Rembrandt-
2. To the extent possible, transition from a portal-based talent acquisition system back to an evaluation and development system. We will still need to use the portal to plug roster holes, but we can't count on the portal to elevate our football program. That has to come through consistency in recruiting and development. Nevertheless, we will have to take a QB and a couple of OTs from the portal during the upcoming offseason because there is no choice at this point.

Lol. Manic much? Make up your mind

Rembrandt-
3. Zack Yenser and Scott Woodward will have to be terminated and replaced during the upcoming offseason, ... We can cry all we want about one or two games, but Marrow, Coen, and White are the foundation for a better football program.

Lol. We have to use both the portal and development, and this staff has done that. It's just the personal side of things where there's an issue. Maybe it's one that MS doesn't want to learn and get better at, but it's too late to deny it and keep running from it. His players ran their mouths and got in their opponent's faces all game. Could've been called for at least 4 more UCs after the play was over.

Calling for the firing of asst coaches but not the improvement of the HC tells me you got your head too far up the Stoops pooper. I recommend you pull it out and wash up. Yenser isn't the reason our center single-handedly sabotaged us last week, and our offense stalled this week.

Even if the development of OL and WRs needs to improve, calling for their firing at this time is really poor form. You don't fire someone mid-season, and you don't undermine their authority at that time either. You also don't fire them if you don't have a much better coach lined up to take the job.

Rembrandt-
4. Identify the bad apples in the locker room and give them an off ramp for the coming offseason. This nonsense must stop.

Sounds great, but if there are bad apples then we're needing some culling right now.

Rembrandt-
5. Fans. Get a grip for heavens sake! But it could also be worse. Our coaching staff is stable and they are working hard for improvement.

Oh? I thought you said 2 of them should be fired...

Rembrandt-
Mark Stoops is not a magician. ... we can get better if we try.

???

I don't speak for everyone, but shove it. Seriously. I don't say the word SHOULD very often about games, but we SHOULD have beaten this team. No excuses. This is unacceptable failure. We lost to Georgia, but the way we played was UNACCEPTABLE FAILURE, and an absolute FAILURE that ONCE AGAIN, this HC let bleed over into another contest.

Who gives a flying fck whether it could be worse, captain obvious?! What we're doing to ourselves, whether you see it or not, has us FIRMLY on a path straight to WORSE. I'm not habitually negative. But this sht of a coaching job needs to be corrected.

The HC doesn't have to be a magician, but he does need to get the wand out of his assets.

The fans rocked the stadium even when our team couldn't reciprocate. That's ALL we can do to help this team win. Everything else is up to the staff, and some on it clearly need a fire lit under them to smell the smoke

I see a lot of the same mistakes and lack of preparation and lack of discipline that have been going on for years under Stoops. This team overall looks and appears to have a real character problem. We've come full circle as some of the early Stoops teams were like that.

We have the slowest offense in the damn nation, and (I think) lead the country in dropped passes to boot.

Also: Stoops clock management is awful. He apparently has no idea after 10 years what timeouts are for or when to use them. We are getting murdered before halftime, every single game as our offense bumbles through a 3-and out - we can't manage the clock - and the opposing team get's the ball back with 2 minutes left and almost always scores at will.

More penalty than passing yards, lol - ten seasons into Stoops tenure here.

And our recruiting? Yes it's the best it's ever been but it is not good enough is it? Not when the teams we are chasing are top-15 every single year. UGA is top 3 every year. Florida is top-10 every year. Tennessee is top 15 every year.

LSU, Auburn and TAMU are top 10-13 every single year. Next year Oklahoma and Texas are two more top 10-12 recruiting teams.
This is SPOT ON!!!

How can Stoops justify our undisciplined, unprepared, lost looking team after 11 years on the job????

Coach Stoops is losing games because of the SAME reasons we were losing them when we had LESS talent in years 1-5 of his tenure. That's the MOST frustrating part about the past 2 seasons. All of the DUMB mistakes have kept UK Football from reaching the next level.

WHY can't Coach Stoops instill the discipline and preparedness needed for our team to win games like last night and others that keep us from reaching new heights???

Last edited:
Rembrandt- Obviously, this team is not on the same page. There are problems in the locker room. Five of our starters and some key backups weren't even members of our team a year ago. They have displaced ther players who came here out of hs, and this is what can happen in the locker room.

Displacing players isn't the problem. Reminding the ones still here that they seemingly aren't good enough and can't be is the problem. Not building anyone up, but being quick to tear or dress them down publicly is a problem. He could learn a lot from Smart and Saban.

Rembrandt-
1. Do what is necessary to hold our 2024 recruiting class together. Stress to our commits that everyone will have opportunities to compete for jobs. Stay in close touch and convey the picture of a team and staff that continue to fight hard for improvement.

Only way to do that is to be a better coach and get some discipline. Grow emotionally and strategically. Stubbornness is a sign of weakness. None of your opponents are gonna tell you to stop being predictable.

Rembrandt-
2. To the extent possible, transition from a portal-based talent acquisition system back to an evaluation and development system. We will still need to use the portal to plug roster holes, but we can't count on the portal to elevate our football program. That has to come through consistency in recruiting and development. Nevertheless, we will have to take a QB and a couple of OTs from the portal during the upcoming offseason because there is no choice at this point.

Lol. Manic much? Make up your mind

Rembrandt-
3. Zack Yenser and Scott Woodward will have to be terminated and replaced during the upcoming offseason, ... We can cry all we want about one or two games, but Marrow, Coen, and White are the foundation for a better football program.

Lol. We have to use both the portal and development, and this staff has done that. It's just the personal side of things where there's an issue. Maybe it's one that MS doesn't want to learn and get better at, but it's too late to deny it and keep running from it. His players ran their mouths and got in their opponent's faces all game. Could've been called for at least 4 more UCs after the play was over.

Calling for the firing of asst coaches but not the improvement of the HC tells me you got your head too far up the Stoops pooper. I recommend you pull it out and wash up. Yenser isn't the reason our center single-handedly sabotaged us last week, and our offense stalled this week.

Even if the development of OL and WRs needs to improve, calling for their firing at this time is really poor form. You don't fire someone mid-season, and you don't undermine their authority at that time either. You also don't fire them if you don't have a much better coach lined up to take the job.

Rembrandt-
4. Identify the bad apples in the locker room and give them an off ramp for the coming offseason. This nonsense must stop.

Sounds great, but if there are bad apples then we're needing some culling right now.

Rembrandt-
5. Fans. Get a grip for heavens sake! But it could also be worse. Our coaching staff is stable and they are working hard for improvement.

Oh? I thought you said 2 of them should be fired...

Rembrandt-
Mark Stoops is not a magician. ... we can get better if we try.

???

I don't speak for everyone, but shove it. Seriously. I don't say the word SHOULD very often about games, but we SHOULD have beaten this team. No excuses. This is unacceptable failure. We lost to Georgia, but the way we played was UNACCEPTABLE FAILURE, and an absolute FAILURE that ONCE AGAIN, this HC let bleed over into another contest.

Who gives a flying fck whether it could be worse, captain obvious?! What we're doing to ourselves, whether you see it or not, has us FIRMLY on a path straight to WORSE. I'm not habitually negative. But this sht of a coaching job needs to be corrected.

The HC doesn't have to be a magician, but he does need to get the wand out of his assets.

The fans rocked the stadium even when our team couldn't reciprocate. That's ALL we can do to help this team win. Everything else is up to the staff, and some on it clearly need a fire lit under them to smell the smoke
Now that you responded in truth to the OP I can skip it .. it rubbed me wrong and I posted “ I’ll respond after I take a siesta “ but when I woke up I just didn’t want to light the guy up , some of his points are valid, but when he jumped on the fans it really pissed me off .. the ones who set in the freezing rain and 20 mph wind ? The ones who took off work to be there ? That was a low blow and the thing came across as so damn preachy and , as someone else used this word , pious .
And it had this undertone of “ all is the fault of everyone not named Mark Stoops “ but you set the record straight . Nice work

Now that you responded in truth to the OP I can skip it .. it rubbed me wrong and I posted “ I’ll respond after I take a siesta “ but when I woke up I just didn’t want to light the guy up , some of his points are valid, but when he jumped on the fans it really pissed me off .. the ones who set in the freezing rain and 20 mph wind ? The ones who took off work to be there ? That was a low blow and the thing came across as so damn preachy and , as someone else used this word , pious .
And it had this undertone of “ all is the fault of everyone not named Mark Stoops “ but you set the record straight . Nice work
Rembrandt is a sanctimonious bully and I'm happy to see others stand up to him. The mods give him a lot of rope. Nobody needs him to tell is what to think and how to act.

Last edited:
What was he thinking? I don't know who it was, not Walker but another guy. Is that trying to be the tough guy or something.
I think that was 92, Khalil Saunders.

He drew a flag whilst hitting the QB as the QB was releasing the ball (bad call), but then, apparently in response to having drawn the flag, gave the forearm punch that flattened the QB.

A bad look, that moved the ball 50 percent closer to the goal line on the 2 point attempt twice. They had missed a short pass, but just ran it in from about a yard out, after the two infractions were measured off.

I’ve never seen someone get two personal fouls on one snap!?!?

Had that series of events occurred during regular teams play, near midfield, and had a referee marched off a full 30 yards, I think his name would be at the top of about ten threads.

I'm not reading all that but to cliff note things. UK isn't winning anything that matters (sec east, sec title, playoff national title or making a 12 team playoff unless we go 10 and 2) and if people just accept that, it's really not anything to worry about.
UK hasn't won anything that matters since the 70's by this standard. I never entertained any of that to begin with as it is a pipedream. Who knows maybe one year the stars can align and it will all fall into place but to think you can demand it into being is just stupid.

Last edited:
Rembrandt is a sanctimonious wind bag bully and I'm happy to see others stand up to him. The mods give him a lot of rope. Nobody needs him to tell is what to think and how to act.
That is pretty rich to complain they give him a lot of slack as you call him a "sanctimonious wind bag bully".

He drew a flag whilst hitting the QB as the QB was releasing the ball (bad call), but then, apparently in response to having drawn the flag, gave the forearm punch that flattened the QB.

A bad look, that moved the ball 50 percent closer to the goal line on the 2 point attempt twice. They had missed a short pass, but just ran it in from about a yard out, after the two infractions were measured off.

Had that series of events occurred during regular teams play, near midfield, and had a referee marched off a full 30 yards, I think his name would be at the top of about ten threads.

I missed the first one, I thought they both come flying on the forearm. Thanks for explanation.

Who knows maybe one year the stars can align and it will all fall into place but to think you can demand into being is just stupid.
But if you state you have higher standards, you can blame every loss on those you perceive as being too lenient on the coaching staff.

One thing I have noticed . . . when the most negative post, threatening “not to come back,” I ask if they wish to part with their tickets or parking passes.

Oddly, none respond to that query!!!

Rembrandt is a sanctimonious wind bag bully and I'm happy to see others stand up to him. The mods give him a lot of rope. Nobody needs him to tell is what to think and how to act.

Might want to tone that one down homey

Where do you get a lot and I mean a lot of your recruiting info?

He spends countless hours on that and he does not have to do it you know. It’s called langiappe ie you pay nothing for it, it’s free, no cost to you

You make yourself look weak w that man

That is pretty rich to complain they give him a lot of slack as you call him a "sanctimonious wind bag bully".
Might want to tone that one down homey

Where do you get a lot and I mean a lot of your recruiting info?

He spends countless hours on that and he does not have to do it you know. It’s called langiappe ie you pay nothing for it, it’s free, no cost to you

You make yourself look weak w that man
As expected here comes the cronies to white knight.

Reactions: Girthang

The roughing call was 100% invented to give Missouri a repeat down to get the points. I think his response was to someone getting in his face after the play. The officials looked the other way every time the Tigers took shots or taunted, but waited for us to retaliate to toss a flag. That's what happens when you are an undisciplined team in the SEC. THE CONFERENCE will BURY YOU in yellow flags.

Rembrandt is a sanctimonious bully and I'm happy to see others stand up to him.
I think I’m as big an asshole as Rembrandt, and there are a lot of others, here.

Wow, former football players are cocky, outspoken and argumentative ba$tards?

Who would a thunk it!

But Rembrandt’s recruiting threads are the best free sources of recruiting info for UK football.

Last edited:
I think I’m as big an asshole as Rembrandt, and there are a lot of others, here.

Who would a thunk it!

But Rembrandt’s recruiting threads are the best free sources of recruiting info for UK football.
You're not an asshole, you're just weird. If you have money you would be eccentric. You also don't act like you own the board. You don't talk down to people. You're alright.
And I don't care about recruiting news, anymore. Let's see what they do on the field.
This is probably the last time I'll post on here. Keep on truckin'.

Who would a thunk it!

Your no A-hole Hack !!! your post smell like Red Roses !! LOL. , take care my Big Blue Brother ! And Rembrandt's post had some very legit points , but getting on the fans so harshly was low in my book . Fans will always be " FANatical" just let it be . the passion of BBN is what makes us the best , NOT the worst . carry on

Who would a thunk it!

Agreed Rembrandt's recruiting threads are very helpful and he's got good football insight.....but to @Swan Song point....the dude can be sanctimonious.

Like I've had negative comments on Yenser and Woodard's coaching just talking football. And he comes down with the old argument "The coaches see kids in practice and would know more than a run of the mill fan would know", etc... I've seen many others get some of his stuff that if you're not a positive opinion of all things Stoops you are wrong, and not a football mind and your opinions aren't valid. And as time is funfolding.....you don't have to be a college football to see we're experiencing WR issues, Oline issues, and less issues with Dline, LBer, now special teams seems to be solid, etc....

So, I agree Rembrandt has a bit of a high horse behavior and he has some great knowledge as well. It's just part of being online message board fan board to me. I like Rembrandt even with our disagreements.

Last edited:
I missed the first one, I thought they both come flying on the forearm. Thanks for explanation.
This isn't Saunders first Personal Foul penalty. I like that he plays hard but he has killed us on an couple of occasions now. Childress is doing the same -- but without the better play that Saunders is giving us.

Concerns me that coaches haven't sat those guys down (particularly Childress) for some time to give them time to think.

Reactions: K_TIME
This isn't Saunders first Personal Foul penalty. I like that he plays hard but he has killed us on an couple of occasions now. Childress is doing the same -- but without the better play that Saunders is giving us.

Concerns me that coaches haven't sat those guys down (particularly Childress) for some time to give them time to think.

The calls are looked for based on reputation now. We have not been able to control ourselves in previous games. They will keep looking for opportunities to call those game changing fouls when it suits them.

Agreed Rembrandt's recruiting threads are very helpful and he's got good football insight.....but to @Swan Song point....the dude can be sanctimonious.

Like I've had negative comments on Yenser and Woodard's coaching just talking football. And he comes down with the old argument "The coaches see kids in practice and would know more than a run of the mill fan would know", etc... I've seen many others get some of his stuff that if you're not a positive opinion of all things Stoops you are wrong, and not a football mind and your opinions aren't valid. And as time is funfolding.....you don't have to be a college football to see we're experiencing WR issues, Oline issues, and less issues with Dline, LBer, now special teams seems to be solid, etc....

So, I agree Rembrandt has a bit of a high horse behavior and he has some great knowledge as well. It's just part of being online message board fan board to me. I like Rembrandt even with our disagreements.
Damn K Time, you are much too fair, honest and logical these days, you get religion or what?

• Haha
Reactions: K_TIME
The calls are looked for based on reputation now. We have not been able to control ourselves in previous games. They will keep looking for opportunities to call those game changing fouls when it suits them.

Very true, UK will now be called for every chickenshit penalty known to man.
And this came right after Kirby Smart said in his PC that they expected UK to make some chippy plays. When the top team in the conference AND nation draws attention to your mouthing off and late hits, the SEC Refs are going to stick it to you from here on out.

Coach Stoops has to nip this in the bud RIGHT NOW!!!!

Last edited:
Reactions: ManitouDan

Well, I like you too.

But, so typical of you to give a backhanded comnpliment and then another personal attack at the same time. That devalues the compliment. If someone doesn't agree with you 100%, the football discussion must be interrupted so you can attack the poster. Of all the posters to accuse someone else of high horse behavior. LOL!! But I must also say, you are not the only poster doing this. It detracts from the board. But so what, as long as you get to blow off steam. Right?

Many times, including this thread, I have addressed problems in the receiver room. So has Coach Stoops! This is not even in dispute. Commenter Aaron Gershon posted an informative article on the same subject yesterday. Gershon discussed the problem in the context of three factors - regression, lack of depth, and injuries. It is informative to note that Barion Brown has played hurt the entire season. These are factors our coaches know, but some here don't.

The OL we had from alabama a few years ago got to that point. He had enough extracurricular stuff that they started keeping an eye on him and he got even more.

Sounds like the Cincinnati Reds press reports when their pitcher gives up 7 runs thru 2 innings “ ______ ____ was sent to the DL after today’s performance “ it’s never the guy just is not performing , it’s “ he’s really just hurt “

It is informative to note that Barion Brown has played hurt the entire season. These are factors our coaches know, but some here don't.
To me and many on here the frustrating type of stuff is this....we all saw Brown last year. What is he? He's athletic and can run. What is he not? Not physical, not strong, not strong in the hands, not exactly polished route runner either. He's a get the ball to him short and hope for extra stuff with the athleticism...a faster version of Lyn Bowden as a receiver. Lyn couldn't produce down field either. Yet we've spent half the season using Brown to take downfield shots, I assume because of his speed, but he just doesn't have the pieces to complete plays like that. Maybe he will someday but that day is not today. Meanwhile, Key doesn't have the speed but he's built more to go up and just make a play on a ball. Their roles have essentially been reversed so far. If he's hurt, even more curious as to why he's the downfield shot guy.

Now, we could argue Coen wasn't here last season so he didn't know. But that would beg this....were we trying these out in camp? Where are all the other coaches who saw this last season and already knew? Admittedly, I can't draw up a blocking scheme for anyone. But there are lots of smart people walking around out that are so smart they can't admit to what they actually see practically.

I expect us to come out of the bye going back to some degree of a run, run, and stick with the run m.o. because that's what Stoops has always done when he circles the wagons. And compared to what we have been it may prove more effective than what we've seen for two weeks against reasonable competition. But the problem lies in that we always end up in some form of this position and leaves us no room for program growth when we struggle to put points up in games unless we get points from the d or st.

Last edited:
Should be noted B. Brown only weighed about 160 when he got here, no indication he's spent weightroom time to get bigger. Unfortunately he's played most of the year with a sore hammy, an injury that can be slow to heal. What puzzles me is if the guy is dinged why keep using him as a deep target, an exercise that requires rapid full scale acceleration. Not easy with a tender leg.

To me the natural top target should be T. Robinson. The guy has over 100 catches in his career, most at Va Tech, but he's clearly a skilled playmaker. Problem now is he has tweaked an ankle, something that's slowed him down both literally and figuratively. Stoops has mentioned the need to get he and B. Brown back on track during the off week.

I think they're getting about all they can out of Key. He has good but not great talent. Doesn't mean he can't make plays, can easily be a major contributor. Nice hands but needs to maintain focus, average SEC speed.

Depth at WR is a problem. A. Brown looks like a middle school kid, Crowdus is a wasted scholarship. White, Porter, Banks I guess just aren't up to par yet. Maybe UK tried and failed at WR portal, need to try again.

Finally, Coen has been here long enough for 2022 film study plus time spent with Woodward. He should be well versed in the plusses/minuses of the WRs.

Reactions: maroon79
Should be noted B. Brown only weighed about 160 when he got here, no indication he's spent weightroom time to get bigger. Unfortunately he's played most of the year with a sore hammy, an injury that can be slow to heal. What puzzles me is if the guy is dinged why keep using him as a deep target, an exercise that requires rapid full scale acceleration. Not easy with a tender leg.

To me the natural top target should be T. Robinson. The guy has over 100 catches in his career, most at Va Tech, but he's clearly a skilled playmaker. Problem now is he has tweaked an ankle, something that's slowed him down both literally and figuratively. Stoops has mentioned the need to get he and B. Brown back on track during the off week.

I think they're getting about all they can out of Key. He has good but not great talent. Doesn't mean he can't make plays, can easily be a major contributor. Nice hands but needs to maintain focus, average SEC speed.

Depth at WR is a problem. A. Brown looks like a middle school kid, Crowdus is a wasted scholarship. White, Porter, Banks I guess just aren't up to par yet. Maybe UK tried and failed at WR portal, need to try again.

Finally, Coen has been here long enough for 2022 film study plus time spent with Woodward. He should be well versed in the plusses/minuses of the WRs.
Depth is definitely a problem. In regards to Crowdus, and I’ve posted this before in another thread, but I was told by someone on the img end of things over a year ago that they were not big fans during his time there so I personally didn’t expect much from him from the get go.

Why I said from here on out use T Robinson like W Robinson and throw more to Bates, Kattus and Dingle.

Reactions: docholiday51
Why I said from here on out use T Robinson like W Robinson and throw more to Bates, Kattus and Dingle.
But TRob has been part of the drop problem. You can't just reduce Key and BB to secondary roles. They are playing dinged up but they are sophomores with high ceilings and you can't just take them out of the game plan. That would unnecessarily say to them that they should look at the portal. A year ago, they were healthy and they were heating up the conference. All these receivers need to get coached up, which leads me back to repeat my concerns about Woodward. I have read some analyst reports saying Key has been working hard in practice and began to turn things around with his play in the two recent losses. From what I read, I'm concerned BB is playing through a problematic groin or hammy strain and is hurting worse than they are letting on. There are three issues with the receivers - regression, lack of depth, and injuries. I am becoming concerned that the injuries and Woody's coaching limitations may be the biggest factors. After two weeks of rest, I think this next game is going to answer some of these questions for us.

Average speed? Good but not great talent? Can't let that go. For an athlete his size, Key runs very well. He was a multisport athlete at FDhs where he played center field for the baseball team for three seasons. I was there in the Swamp in 2022 when Key sprinted with FL CB Jalen Kimber and high-pointed the TD reception over the top of Kimber that put UK in the lead. One of the best individual plays I have seen. Jalen Kimber played in the 2020 All American Bowl and was the #8 CB prospect nationally, the #40 overall prospect in the state of TX, and the #209 prospect in the nation. Kimber has run electronically timed 4.44, but Dane ran right with him on the play. I am not suggesting Dane will ever run 4.4, but he is plenty fast for a tall, athletic SEC receiver. Dane was a two-time first team all state player at FDhs, Paul Hornung Award winner, and Class 5A POTY by the KY Football, Coaches Assn. Dane had at least 5 SEC and 5 B10 offers plus TX and OR. He is an elite talent but Aaron Gershon is reporting that Dane has been playing injured this year. Plus, Dane needs to clean up his routes, although he is already doing that. He is capable of much more than we have seen so far, which is why Coach Coen has him playing X.

Yes, WR depth is a huge problem for sure. Over the last offseason, 6 UK receivers transferred out because they were stuck behind Key, BB, and TRob. Anthony Brown will be a very good player but he needs more experience and could use some more muscle. Crowdus and White apparently don't have the coaches' confidence, although White may just need more time. I believe Porter and Banks will have good careers at UK but they obviously aren't ready. High hopes for Gilmore but we need more of them. And we can't take a chance on running off Key or BB. They will just have to play and take their lumps. But I'm not sure Woody is the right position coach for them.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT