ADVERTISEMENT

Let's hold the phone (as Cawood used to say) on CO/Deion

gamecockcat

All-SEC
Oct 29, 2004
Lost again tonight to UCLA by 12. Game was not nearly as close as the score as the Bruins had twice as many yards. If not for 4 turnovers in the first half, UCLA wins by 4 TDs. Buffs have four games remaining and should be the dog in every one of them. If they lose those four, will end up with really what looks like only one or maybe two quality wins. 4-8 in Deion's first season certainly doesn't match up with the hype, imo. When they beat TCU, the media immediately elevated them to bowl status and they'll be hard pressed to win 6 games. Probably gets easier in B12 next year, but not much.

FWIW, they play Or St (ranked), Arizona, Wa St (previously ranked) and UT (ranked) to close out. Maybe AZ is a game they can win but the other three they'll be significant underdogs.

The hype is what he wanted and what the media created.
No one who’s been alive more than a day expected them to be good this year.
Can’t deny what he’s done to create buzz and he’ll get recruits / talent in the coming years for sure.

Oh trust me, same page. I had Colorado fatigue by week 2. And I am not a fan of him at all, but can see from a business perspective what he’s pursuing. Because that’s 1000% what college football is.
He's definitely made CU some money. But, another losing season next year or even 6-6 and the momentum may come to a screeching halt.

Living just south of Boulder, I don't see or hear quite as much about CU being in the playoffs next year as I did 4 weeks ago.

The hype has been ridiculous. I don't personally like the way he has handled a few things, particularly being disrespectful to his inherited players. Let's forget all that for a moment. Imagine some relatively obscure coach named Deion Smith had been hired from the lower level of FCS to take over the Colorado team, what was literally one of the worst teams in recent football history last year. They're 4 and 4, and have real hope to improve next year. Who would say that "Smith" isn't off to a hell of a start?

The hype has been ridiculous. I don't personally like the way he has handled a few things, particularly being disrespectful to his inherited players. Let's forget all that for a moment. Imagine some relatively obscure coach named Deion Smith had been hired from the lower level of FCS to take over the Colorado team, what was literally one of the worst teams in recent football history last year. They're 4 and 4, and have real hope to improve next year. Who would say that "Smith" isn't off to a hell of a start?
That’s what I’m saying - essentially I agree with this take. They won 2 games last year.
He’s improved them. There’s hype. And for societal reasons in 2023, it’s obvious why.
I don’t believe it or believe in him or even like him.
He’s done what he probably set out to do in Year 1 though; which is having folks like us chatting about him at 1 in the morning lol.

Reactions: WildcatofNati2
The hype is what he wanted and what the media created.
No one who’s been alive more than a day expected them to be good this year.
Can’t deny what he’s done to create buzz and he’ll get recruits / talent in the coming years for sure.
We’ll see except his recruiting class is ranked pretty crappy And it’s mostly Wr and Dbs….not big guys which is what they need

Hard to tell if Sanders plan to hit portal and not to much high school kids. But he ain’t winning to a high degree with the kind of class he’s going to get come December

Reactions: Samurai Cat
Prime has done more for the dormant Colorado football program in one year than Stoops has for our program in 11 years....and no cupcakes on their schedule, I might add. There's always haters, but we all know, we'd take Prime in a heartbeat if we could.

Reactions: Fox2monk
Deion Mumme.

• Haha
Reactions: nickhorvathsuxazz
Prime has done more for the dormant Colorado football program in one year than Stoops has for our program in 11 years....and no cupcakes on their schedule, I might add. There's always haters, but we all know, we'd take Prime in a heartbeat if we could.
Would not take him. Hasn’t beaten anyone of note this year. He beat a depleted TCU team that was nowhere near the CFP team from a year ago, a terrible Nebraska, barely beat a Colo St. that they were favored by 20 to beat, while also getting smacked by Oregon and blowing a huge lead to a bad Stanford team. On top of all of that, their defense has been worse than ours so far this year and couldn’t stop a picket fence. Also just the media circus around the guy would be a big distraction.

Please explain how he destroyed their " integrity "
Well, he did basically run everyone off the team from the year before, telling them none were good enough to be on the squad and keep their scholarship this year. The team was awful last year, but not a single player was good enough for this year's team that maybe finishes 4-8? It's a bad look.

Reactions: MakinMusic
Well, he did basically run everyone off the team from the year before, telling them none were good enough to be on the squad and keep their scholarship this year. The team was awful last year, but not a single player was good enough for this year's team that maybe finishes 4-8? It's a bad look.

If you have time, take a look at where all those former Colorado players transferred to. Most of them were mid major teams. You'll see why they only won 1 game the prior season. Their players sucked.

If you have time, take a look at where all those former Colorado players transferred to. Most of them were mid major teams. You'll see why they only won 1 game the prior season. Their players sucked.
That's probably true. But, every single one of those kids had scholarships and had invested their time and effort into the program. And they were cast away like garbage. I don't for a second believe that not a single player was worthy of keeping. And, UKs starting LT came from a mid major. Not sure I'd automatically assume mid major talent in some areas couldn't help the current CU roster.

This whole thing is about Deion and nothing more. He has put himself in front of the players and the school.
And it's paid off for the school. Selling more tickets than ever, going to upgrade the recruiting, and will upgrade the whole football program. And BTW, I don't like nor dislike him, I'm just saying what he is doing

Lost again tonight to UCLA by 12. Game was not nearly as close as the score as the Bruins had twice as many yards. If not for 4 turnovers in the first half, UCLA wins by 4 TDs. Buffs have four games remaining and should be the dog in every one of them. If they lose those four, will end up with really what looks like only one or maybe two quality wins. 4-8 in Deion's first season certainly doesn't match up with the hype, imo. When they beat TCU, the media immediately elevated them to bowl status and they'll be hard pressed to win 6 games. Probably gets easier in B12 next year, but not much.

FWIW, they play Or St (ranked), Arizona, Wa St (previously ranked) and UT (ranked) to close out. Maybe AZ is a game they can win but the other three they'll be significant underdogs.
And Arizona just beat #11 Oregon State.

Reactions: gamecockcat
Would not take him. Hasn’t beaten anyone of note this year. He beat a depleted TCU team that was nowhere near the CFP team from a year ago, a terrible Nebraska, barely beat a Colo St. that they were favored by 20 to beat, while also getting smacked by Oregon and blowing a huge lead to a bad Stanford team. On top of all of that, their defense has been worse than ours so far this year and couldn’t stop a picket fence. Also just the media circus around the guy would be a big distraction.
He has only improved the teams record 400%. That is not a massive improvement over the single game they won in 2022?

Compare Deion’s record to what he inherited, not the Circus that the Media has built, and he has done outstanding.

That's probably true. But, every single one of those kids had scholarships and had invested their time and effort into the program. And they were cast away like garbage. I don't for a second believe that not a single player was worthy of keeping. And, UKs starting LT came from a mid major. Not sure I'd automatically assume mid major talent in some areas couldn't help the current CU roster.
How many Twitter employees lost their jobs when Elon bought the company? Same situation. Just because you have a job (or spot on the team), that does not mean you are doing a good enough job to keep your position.

That is just life.

My guess is if Deion was white and doing the exact same things, half of these complaints about him disappear.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT