ADVERTISEMENT

Let Us Prey

sobester

Freshman
Mar 21, 2012
A very disconcerting look into organized Protestant churches on HBO Max.

Last edited:
Like everything in life, there are good ones and bad ones.

If I were ranking "organizations" by the net evil they've brought upon the world, protestant churches would probably be on Page 2.
I would very much like to see ur list on this Hyman. Thanks

Ain't going to watch (because Church leaders abusers, water wet, news at eleven)

But according to Google search, Protestant seems to be a little too broad. More about a very specific subset of overly conservative Baptist churches. As always, the more uptight and sanctimonious, the more freaky/ deplorable.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of bad people out there who can easily masquerade as church goers, staff, and clergy. It’s easy access to trusting, and many times, naive people with alot of vulnerabilities. Nursing homes and schools are two more examples where predators tend to thrive. Wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Moreso, the majority of today’s “churches” are non biblical in nature, have prioritized cultural relevance over truth, lack church discipline and have become mainly cash grabs that creates the perfect environment for this stuff to flourish.

Unfortunately there’s a lot of bad people out there who can easily masquerade as church goers, staff, and clergy. It’s easy access to trusting, and many times, naive people with alot of vulnerabilities. Nursing homes and schools are two more examples where predators tend to thrive. Wolves in sheep’s clothing.

Moreso, the majority of today’s “churches” are non biblical in nature, have prioritized cultural relevance over truth, lack church discipline and have become mainly cash grabs that creates the perfect environment for this stuff to flourish.
I’m not sure they’re masquerading. I think they might just be church goers.

This is off the top of my head.

Count them up, and let me know how many more I need to add, chief. (to satisfy your irrational grudge)

The Catholic church
Bolsheviks under Stalin
Nazis under Hitler
Khmer Rouge
Chinese Communist Party
Al-Jamaat Nusrat
Al Shabaab
Hamas
Taliban
IS:
Khorasan Province
Sinai Province (IS-SP)
Islamic State West Africa (ISWA)
The IRA (I don't consider them a legitimate arm of the Catholic church)
KKK
Sinaloa Cartel
Medellin Cartel
Gulf Cartel
Los Zetas
Aryan Brotherhood
Hells Angels
Golden Triangle
Cosa Nostra (as a whole)
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Last edited:

Count them up, and let me know how many more I need to add, chief. (to satisfy your irrational grudge)

The CAtholic church
Islamic Fundamentalism
Bolsheviks under Stalin
Nazis under Hitler
Khmer Rouge
Chinese Communist Party
Al-Jamaat Nusrat
Al Shabaab
Hamas
Taliban
IS:
Khorasan Province
Sinai Province (IS-SP)
KKK
Sinaloa Cartel
Medellin Cartel
Gulf Cartel
Los Zetas
Arian Brotherhood
Hells Angels
Golden Triangle
Cosa Nostra (as a whole)
I put Protestant churches above many of those myself.

Well, you'd be wrong. But you're free to do it. I can do a LOT, but I can't fix an irrational mind.
Well sure you’d say I am wrong. Members of every group on your list would say they don’t belong there either. Otherwise they wouldn’t be part of that group. That’s part of the point.

No, if you read my post, I said "net evil", IOW - the difference between the good they do and the bad. I have 100 percent confidence that protestant churches grade out higher than anyone I listed. LOL

Every single group I listed, has officially sanctioned murder. Not, "a member of said group went rogue and killed somebody", they, as an organization signed off on murder. So, you've got quite the hurdle to prove me wrong, I would think.

I listed 23, so in reference to your comment about wide ruled paper, I can easily come up with 10 more, which puts protestant churches on page 2, even using college ruled paper.

Are you done yet? Or do you just want to keep having your ass handed to you?

Last edited:
Well, you'd be wrong. But you're free to do it. I can do a LOT, but I can't fix an irrational mind.
Unfortunately, the tares are always sown and grown among the wheat often indistinguishable on the outside looking in.

No, if you read my post, I said "net evil", IOW - the difference between the good they do and the bad. I have 100 percent confidence that protestant churches grade out higher than anyone I listed. LOL
Of course you do. So do they.

So, I guess you're done then. I'm not going to keep batting away variations of your arguments that you type, instead of providing a compelling argument.

(for the record, I'm not a member of any Protestant church/congregation. I'm just a fan of logic.)

Reactions: mailman85
So, I guess you're done then. I'm not going to keep batting away variations of your arguments that you type, instead of providing a compelling argument.

Yeah, your arguments are brilliant. Other groups are worse than mine because I said so and my group is great because all of the bad actors in my group don’t really belong to my group so by definition we have no bad actors.

Nothing wrong with Protestants. The documentary was about organized Protestant churches. Is that 49% of all Americans or 49% of people that identify with a religion?
So there's nothing wrong with me being a Protestant unless I actually go to Church? You mean the Church that organizes things like mission trips, support for the needy, and helping old people deal with death and loss? All because there's some occasional abuse in an organization that 100M people belong to? With that logic we should disband universities. Is that what you are advocating too?

I
So there's nothing wrong with me being a Protestant unless I actually go to Church? You mean the Church that organizes things like mission trips, support for the needy, and helping old people deal with death and loss? All because there's some occasional abuse in an organization that 100M people belong to? With that logic we should disband universities. Is that what you are advocating too?
The documentary doesn’t say organized churches don’t do good things. All groups do some things. The documentary was about the rampant abuse by the leaders and coverups.

Yeah, your arguments are brilliant. Other groups are worse than mine because I said so and my group is great because all of the bad actors in my group don’t really belong to my group so by definition we have no bad actors.
If that is what you think I said, well... There really IS no point in arguing with you. It's like talking to a pebble.

1: you got the context of my argument completely wrong.

2: you ignored what I asserted is the fundamental difference between those organizations that I listed, and "Protestant Christianity"

So, other than NOT UNDERSTANDING THE PREMISE AGAINST WHICH YOU ARE TRYING TO DEBATE , and ignoring the points I made to support it you're doing a bang up job.

Damn...LOL

If this was a boxing match, your corner man is probably criminally negligent, for losing the towel.

If that is what you think I said, well... There really IS no point in arguing with you. It's like talking to a pebble.

1: you got the context of my argument completely wrong.

2: you ignored what I asserted is the fundamental difference between those organizations that I listed, and "Protestant Christianity"

So, other than NOT UNDERSTANDING THE PREMISE AGAINST WHICH YOU ARE TRYING TO DEBATE , and ignoring the points I made to support it you're doing a bang up job.

Damn...LOL
Ok. What makes Mormons or Catholics worse?

It’s not helpoing that your co-defender of organized Protestant churches in this thread postedone time with nothing but an anti-Semitic and bigoted insult.

The documentary doesn’t say organized churches don’t do good things. All groups do some things. The documentary was about the rampant abuse by the leaders and coverups.

Well, they are referring to the IFB which has 8 million members. And per my understanding there are a few hundred claims over a 20 year period. And like any organization, some leaders in the IFB did what they could to shield themselves from being sued because an employee assaulted someone (i.e., reason #1 why when someone commits a crime we shouldn't necessarily hold the organization they work for liable).

Regardless, this is a hit piece by people who hate Christians. If it was so bad people wouldn't go. It's not like the Catholic Church where you grow up going to school in the church. You choose to go.

Well, they are referring to the IFB which has 8 million members. And per my understanding there are a few hundred claims over a 20 year period. And like any organization, some leaders in the IFB did what they could to shield themselves from being sued because an employee assaulted someone (i.e., reason #1 why when someone commits a crime we shouldn't necessarily hold the organization they work for liable).

Regardless, this is a hit piece by people who hate Christians. If it was so bad people wouldn't go. It's not like the Catholic Church where you grow up going to school in the church. You choose to go.
Always a hit piece motivated by bias. As hominem the facts away …. Maybe they hate child abuse. I know I do.

Last edited:

People go to all kinds of bad things.

I

Doesn’t it mainly focus on Jack Hyles organizations? College, churches, etc? Hardly rampant or systematic when it comes to Protestantism.

The few people I’ve come across over the years that have attended Hyles Anderson were a theological hot mess. Very zealous with their rules and their “way” whether or not it coincided with biblical teaching or not.

I wouldn’t say that group is in anyway a solid representation of Protestantism, Baptists, or Christianity in general.

Again, refer to my earlier post. When churches get away from biblical teaching and put their faith mostly in just a leader’s teaching and opinions, a lot can and does go wrong.

Organized religion has been corrupted since it was created. Your spiritual life belongs to you…humans have an innate need to worship a higher power. If you need someone to define what that is for you….just be good

The Catholic church
Bolsheviks under Stalin
Nazis under Hitler
Khmer Rouge
Chinese Communist Party
Al-Jamaat Nusrat
Al Shabaab
Hamas
Taliban
IS:
Khorasan Province
Sinai Province (IS-SP)
KKK
Sinaloa Cartel
Medellin Cartel
Gulf Cartel
Los Zetas
Aryan Brotherhood
Hells Angels
Golden Triangle
Cosa Nostra (as a whole)
The Church of Scientology needs to be on this list also.

Reactions: HymanKaplan
Doesn’t it mainly focus on Jack Hyles organizations? College, churches, etc? Hardly rampant or systematic when it comes to Protestantism.

The few people I’ve come across over the years that have attended Hyles Anderson were a theological hot mess. Very zealous with their rules and their “way” whether or not it coincided with biblical teaching or not.

I wouldn’t say that group is in anyway a solid representation of Protestantism, Baptists, or Christianity in general.

Again, refer to my earlier post. When churches get away from biblical teaching and put their faith mostly in just a leader’s teaching and opinions, a lot can and does go wrong.
Shiny Happy People on Prime

Organized religion is wonderful. The more of it the better. It's where people find community, peace, friendship, and, of course, God. Whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam, whatever, I think the more religion the better. OP is a sad sack and needs to go to Church!

Reactions: BlueRunner11
I always find it amusing that people bash Christians and religion in general but the next breath say that gay, lesbian and transgender people aren't bothering you so leave them alone and let them live their life. Shouldn't you practice what you preach and leave religious people alone?

Reactions: Tannerdad
Coming from a liberal media outlet, I’m sure that won’t be biased.
As hominem, the MAGA way. “Oh, you have a video of me stealing. You’re a communist so the video doesn’t count.!!!!!!” And then you morons cheer and storm the Capitol.

Organized religion is wonderful. The more of it the better. It's where people find community, peace, friendship, and, of course, God. Whether it be Christianity, Judaism, Islam, whatever, I think the more religion the better. OP is a sad sack and needs to go to Church!

You don’t need organized religion for all that. You can have social eventscwithout rampant child abuse.

I always find it amusing that people bash Christians and religion in general but the next breath say that gay, lesbian and transgender people aren't bothering you so leave them alone and let them live their life. Shouldn't you practice what you preach and leave religious people alone?
No one was bashing religion, The point was about rampant child abuse in Protestant churches. No on said gay people could start a club and have rampant physical sexual abuse of children and that would be ok. Who said that would be ok?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT