ADVERTISEMENT

Kyrie wants the NBA logo changed to the Kobe logo

"We want to set a standard and precedent, like this is excellence," Irving said Thursday, after the Nets defeated the Orlando Magic 129-92. "Kobe Bryant. Logo. Yes. Needs to happen. I don't care what anyone says."

In an Instagram post Wednesday, Irving put up a photo of a modified NBA logo with Bryant swapped in as the figure in the middle with this caption: "Gotta Happen, idc what anyone says. BLACK KINGS BUILT THE LEAGUE."

ESPN Story hear

lol where to even start.

I do agree it's time for a change. But it doesn't seem right to remove the West logo when he's 82 and probably won't live much longer. UNLESS, he's all for it and decides to take this time to "pass the torch" in some public way. That would be cool.

Last thing, having it be anyone other than Jordan is lunacy. But if Irving had recommended it be Jordan, I would vote for someone else because I don't want to EVER agree with Irving.
West actually supports it. And unless I’m remembering wrong, he’s been wanting it changed to someone else for quite a long time.

I'm totally OK with it being changed to Kobe..

But why do I feel this wouldn't even be brought up if Jerry West was black?

Also, Jerry West is 82. I think it's kind of shitty to rip this away from someone that age, just to make a woke statement.. at last wait until dementia sets in and he doesn't even realize it.

Jerry West wasn’t a BLACK KING!

Duh.

if he wants the logo changed, fine. he's entitled to his opinion. but simply arguing it should be kobe because of what kobe meant to him and because "black kings" built this league? not really a convincing argument to me.

i like kobe but if you are going to change the logo, then have a legitimate discussion. "change it what i want" doesn't really drive the discussion or generate discussion like he said he wanted to do. if you want it to change to become more modern along with the nba, then yeah it likely would be a "black king" as you described.

what a strange dude....

oh and the earth isn't flat
“Kings” because they are rich and can throw a ball through a hoop. He thinks too highly of himself. He’s lucky people watch the sport or with his idiocy he’s flipping burgers.

Also, Jerry West is 82. I think it's kind of shitty to rip this away from someone that age, just to make a woke statement.. at last wait until dementia sets in and he doesn't even realize it.
Well he doesn’t like being the logo anyways and wants it changed so I’m pretty sure he would appreciate it not being him anymore.

Hell just lie to him. Tell we did change it. That's actually Kobe dribbling the ball. This is Kyrie we're talking about so he's likely to believe it.

“Kings” because they are rich and can throw a ball through a hoop. He thinks too highly of himself. He’s lucky people watch the sport or with his idiocy he’s flipping burgers.

King Jaffe Joffer is not impressed with Kyrie's hardwood kingdom

coming-to-america.jpg

Reactions: St.PatterSoN-54-
Well he doesn’t like being the logo anyways and wants it changed so I’m pretty sure he would appreciate it not being him anymore.

If that's the case, go for it. I really don't care who the logo is, I don't let this stuff bother me, and I also think Kobe is an excellent choice for this. All time great, tragic and untimely death, great father. Zero problem with it.

But yes, this is still a woke move. If the Logo was Jeremy Lin, we'd still be looking to change it. If it was anyone that isn't black, we'd be looking to change it.

.. and at the same time, maybe it SHOULD be an African-American, given what the league is now. I try not to lose sleep over it.

Actually, he should be thanking Bird and Magic for building the League. He forgets the championships were on tape delay in the late 70s. The League's image was a bad one due to the drug use, three attempts for a FT, etc.
Yeah exactly. There is no serious reason to change the logo but if you do it should be Bird and Magic.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
Why does it have to be of an actual player because any argument about who is the best is just that an argument. There is no definitive way to say who is the greatest of all time because of differing opinions of what it takes to make someone the GOAT. Make it a generic person in a generic pose and be done with it.

To be honest if you are looking at the logo and only seeing that he is a white guy you might be the problem. I don't even pay that much attention to any logo and if I did look at it I wouldn't be wondering if he looks black, white, hispanic, or asian. That would be the last thing I would think of but being woke is pretty low on my scale of daily activities.

Kyrie’s opinion lolllll
First he’s a Dukie and saying black knights built that league. This won’t go well on this site 😂. But in all reality guys I’m sure 99 percent of our UK players agree with him 🤦‍♂️

• Angry
Reactions: seccats04
If that's the case, go for it. I really don't care who the logo is, I don't let this stuff bother me, and I also think Kobe is an excellent choice for this. All time great, tragic and untimely death, great father. Zero problem with it.

But yes, this is still a woke move. If the Logo was Jeremy Lin, we'd still be looking to change it. If it was anyone that isn't black, we'd be looking to change it.

.. and at the same time, maybe it SHOULD be an African-American, given what the league is now. I try not to lose sleep over it.
What is this idiocy? If it was Jeremy Lin because Jeremy Lin was an all time great then it would be celebrated just like anyone else.

What is this idiocy? If it was Jeremy Lin because Jeremy Lin was an all time great then it would be celebrated just like anyone else.

Fine, then Yao Ming for his contributions to the league, globally.

The point I was making with Jeremy Lin was to illustrate that this isn't a "white" thing.. but a "black" issue. If Jeremy Lin had the career of Michael Jordan, they'd still want it gone and changed to someone who is black.

Kyrie’s comment is totally incoherent.

“Yes. Needs to happen. I don’t care what anyone says.” is the most 2021 argument I’ve ever heard.

It's coherent, just absolutely void of any substance at all 😂

I don't care either way at all. This is a weird thing for everyone to get so fired up over.

Kyrie’s opinion lolllll
First he’s a Dukie and saying black knights built that league. This won’t go well on this site 😂. But in all reality guys I’m sure 99 percent of our UK players agree with him 🤦‍♂️
Kyrie is ignoring other players contributions and by bringing up race he made this all worse. Where would the league be without Cousy, Havlichek, Bird and West? NBA basketball was built by all races and that's what made the league so special. Any guy from any walk of life could make the NBA if he worked hard enough.

Fine, then Yao Ming for his contributions to the league, globally.

The point I was making with Jeremy Lin was to illustrate that this isn't a "white" thing.. but a "black" issue. If Jeremy Lin had the career of Michael Jordan, they'd still want it gone and changed to someone who is black.
The clarification is understood, thanks.

I actually like the Jeremy Lin idea.

Not sure why it needs to be anyone’s silhouette to begin with. If they change it they should just be the “”NBA” letters and maybe a basketball or something like the NFL. I guess that means MLB should go ahead and change theirs too before people start calling for the removal of Harmon Killebrew since he wasn’t a “Hispanic King” who built the league.

Reactions: wildcatwelder
If I was NBA, I’d register multiple trademarks featuring red white and blue colors and market all of them in a unified way but also for special occasions or special promotions

Does the logo have to be somebody? These Black Kings don't realize white people make up the greatest percentage of the population and to isolate them is suicide. If white people don't watch the NBA, they go broke. Not enough black people in America to sustain the league.

ADVERTISEMENT