ADVERTISEMENT

Kyrie wants the NBA logo changed to the Kobe logo

Creed Bratton

All-American
May 31, 2018
Lex Town
"We want to set a standard and precedent, like this is excellence," Irving said Thursday, after the Nets defeated the Orlando Magic 129-92. "Kobe Bryant. Logo. Yes. Needs to happen. I don't care what anyone says."

In an Instagram post Wednesday, Irving put up a photo of a modified NBA logo with Bryant swapped in as the figure in the middle with this caption: "Gotta Happen, idc what anyone says. BLACK KINGS BUILT THE LEAGUE."

ESPN Story hear

I do agree it's time for a change. But it doesn't seem right to remove the West logo when he's 82 and probably won't live much longer. UNLESS, he's all for it and decides to take this time to "pass the torch" in some public way. That would be cool.

Last thing, having it be anyone other than Jordan is lunacy. But if Irving had recommended it be Jordan, I would vote for someone else because I don't want to EVER agree with Irving.

Well, if they really want to represent the NBA it should be a bunch of $$$ bowing down to China and spitting on the American flag. As for Kobie, I'm sorry for his tragic loss but it doesn't change history. Which image do they use, the one prior to the rape, I mean the "non-consensual adulterous encounter with a 19-year old hotel employee, or the one after?

If the logo gets updated to become more up to date then it should probably be this
9595cee758de4fb55d0f1aef09c10ed5.jpg

I do agree it's time for a change. But it doesn't seem right to remove the West logo when he's 82 and probably won't live much longer. UNLESS, he's all for it and decides to take this time to "pass the torch" in some public way. That would be cool.

Last thing, having it be anyone other than Jordan is lunacy. But if Irving had recommended it be Jordan, I would vote for someone else because I don't want to EVER agree with Irving.
West has stated before that he doesn’t really like being the logo and wishes it was someone else (although the NBA does not officially acknowledge the logo as West, it clearly is).

West is a really fascinating figure in basketball history. A hall of fame talent as a player and executive born in coal country. He has some great interviews on YouTube I’d recommend to anyone who loves basketball.

if he wants the logo changed, fine. he's entitled to his opinion. but simply arguing it should be kobe because of what kobe meant to him and because "black kings" built this league? not really a convincing argument to me.

i like kobe but if you are going to change the logo, then have a legitimate discussion. "change it what i want" doesn't really drive the discussion or generate discussion like he said he wanted to do. if you want it to change to become more modern along with the nba, then yeah it likely would be a "black king" as you described.

what a strange dude....

oh and the earth isn't flat

"We want to set a standard and precedent, like this is excellence," Irving said Thursday, after the Nets defeated the Orlando Magic 129-92. "Kobe Bryant. Logo. Yes. Needs to happen. I don't care what anyone says."

In an Instagram post Wednesday, Irving put up a photo of a modified NBA logo with Bryant swapped in as the figure in the middle with this caption: "Gotta Happen, idc what anyone says. BLACK KINGS BUILT THE LEAGUE."

ESPN Story hear
Actually, he should be thanking Bird and Magic for building the League. He forgets the championships were on tape delay in the late 70s. The League's image was a bad one due to the drug use, three attempts for a FT, etc.

I'm totally OK with it being changed to Kobe..

But why do I feel this wouldn't even be brought up if Jerry West was black?

Also, Jerry West is 82. I think it's kind of shitty to rip this away from someone that age, just to make a woke statement.. at last wait until dementia sets in and he doesn't even realize it.

ADVERTISEMENT