ADVERTISEMENT

‘National championship’ on the way for LSU basketball?

preacher_tom

Junior
May 21, 2015
Laurel River Lake
BATON ROUGE – Apparently, the no-interview rule for freshmen football players at LSU has been punted for basketball.

“I think we’ll win the national championship,” LSU freshman guard Antonio Blakeney of Orlando, Florida, said Wednesday during a press gathering for some of the Tigers’ new players.

Blakeney said the above when asked how far he thought LSU could go in the 2015-16 season with the likes of freshman forward Ben Simmons — the consensus No. 1 high school player in America out of Montverde, Florida — and Blakeney himself, the No. 13 overall prospect in the nation by Rivals.com.

When asked if what he meant was that LSU would be in the national championship “mix,” this season, Blakeney would have none of it. He was not going to qualify his statement.

“I think we’re going to win the national championship,” he said.

After discussing the blossoming talent of the 6-foot-10 Simmons, who is projected as the No. 1 NBA Draft pick next summer, along with LSU’s other newcomers as well as several key returnees from an NCAA Tournament team last season, Blakeney asked, “Why would I not say we’re going to win the national championship?”

Blakeney and Simmons, who is not expected to play more than one season at LSU, were the only incoming freshmen in the land invited to the inaugural Nike Basketball Academy in Santa Monica, California, where they played against the likes of NBA stars LeBron James, Kevin Durant, Kyrie Irving, James Harden, Kobe Bryant and New Orleans Pelican Anthony Davis, whom Simmons held his own against. Some of the top veteran college players were also there, including guard Kris Dunn of Providence and forward Georges Niang of Iowa State.

“It was great,” Simmons said of the Nike Academy. “We got to go against NBA guys, so it was a great experience.”

Simmons did not make as bold a statement as Blakeney, but he was not bashful.

“I always feel like I can play against anybody. It doesn’t matter who it is — LeBron, Kobe,” he said. “I feel like personally I’m always going to give it my best.”

He is not concerned about any “adjustment” to the college game either. “No, I’ve been to the Nike camp, and I’ve seen all the other college guys,” he said. “So, I think I’m going to fit in well. I don’t think there’s going to be a really big adjustment. I showed at the Nike camp that I could guard the five man (Davis) down low. I think physically, I’m strong enough to guard anybody.”

He said the best player he faced at the Nike Academy was LeBron James, and two of his favorite former players are Scottie Pippen and Magic Johnson. But neither are models for his game.

“I never really modeled my game after anybody,” he said. “I take little parts of everybody’s game and try to put it into mine.”

Simmons, who grew up in Melbourne, Australia, takes a lot of his game from the pass-heavy European style. He is at LSU because of his father Dave Simmons’ friendship with LSU assistant coach David Patrick. Both the elder Simmons and Patrick played professional basketball in Australia and have remained friends. LSU will tour Simmons’ homeland of Australia next month playing a series of exhibition games.

Simmons, who averaged 28 points, 12 rebounds, 4 assists and 2.6 steals a game for Montverde Academy last season while shooting 70.7 percent with 24 double-doubles, also does not fit his game to one position.

“I see myself as a point forward,” he said. “That’s if I get a rebound, I take it down the court, run a play or facilitate the other guys. I’m more of a point guard. Because of my height, it doesn’t look like it. So I guess I kind of have to show everybody I can bring it up. I don’t have one set position. I’m one through five. Me being 6-1, I’m just a player. I don’t try and put myself in one position because that limits yourself. I really don’t have a spot where I play. I play anywhere.”

And LSU coach Johnny Jones is fine with that.

“If he was a point forward, position-less guy who handled the ball and was trying to create opportunities for himself all the time, then you have a problem,” he said. “But he’s not like that. He has a high basketball IQ, and so the last thing you want to do is try to put too many limitations on a guy who doesn’t need it. The last thing you want to do is handcuff a player who can do so many things.”

Selfish play is not one of the things Simmons does on the court. Previous coaches have had to tell him to stop passing the ball.

“That’s just not me,” he said. “It’s just the way I was raised. I play a European style of play. I like to pass (pronounced “poss”) the ball around and see guys score. So Antonio being able to be a shooter on the perimeter and everyone having to guard him out there, as soon as I drive, somebody has to help. So it’s easy for me to dish out there.”

Simmons was asked the same question as Blakeney concerning how far the Tigers can go in the 2015-16 season, but he basically passed off.

“We’re trying to make a future here, and now it’s our time and hopefully we can do that,” he said. “We have a lot of experienced guys, and they’re going to teach the freshmen a lot. I think we all have got to buy in and chip in, and we’ll be fine.”

LSU LOSES TRELOAR: Former Phoenix Suns director of player personnel John Treloar will not be coming to LSU as an assistant coach after all, LSU head coach Johnny Jones said Wednesday. Treloar, who was an LSU assistant on the Tigers’ Final Four team in 2006 under then-coach John Brady, had agreed to come to LSU as an assistant coach last April after the NBA Draft with the Suns. But he has since changed his mind and is interested in another NBA job.

They could win it all. I have them a top 6 team next season and I can very well see them cutting down the nets.

Kentucky/UNC/Duke/LSU/KU/Maryland/IU are in play for the title IMO.

giphy.gif

The interview stopped short. Eventually blakeney said "whoa, wait a second. You mean I am tiger, not a wildcat? All cats aren't the same? But, but... I was told...uh, I retract my previous predictions"

Reactions: BBUK
If Martin or Mickey had returned, they would be a top-10 team, had both returned maybe top-10. They might sniff the top-20.

But like someone said, they have the same coach.

I'm not convinced yet that they even make the tourny. It takes more than 2 freshmen to make you a team. They are still a terrible defensive team and lost their 2 best defenders. Simmons is 6'9" but is more of a combo forward. They really don't have any inside presence and at best sporadic outside shooting. I'm expecting them to be around 18 to 22 wins.

I don't know if they are much better than last year's Arkansas team. They have a couple NBA prospects but title teams normally have more than that. LSU will battle Vandy and A&M for second place in the SEC. Possible sweet sixteen for them.

I quit taking it serious with the Davis comment. I am UK blue through and through but that aside, he can handle AD? Now? I don't think so. (I added a little but it is what I perceived he meant.) AD is now IT in the NBA. (The dough speaks if nothing else does.)

When you start talking about what you can do and what others cannot it tends to lend to a self-confidence issue. He may well prove it on the court but I'll hold off keeping a straight face for now. Ha Ha...

Reactions: Adolph B. Calipari
They have a good, not great recruiting class and average returners. Lots of teams have that. Is there a chance they could win it all? Yeah. There is a chance for lots of teams. I think they will have a chance to contend in the SEC. Probably top 3. If Martin and Mickey had returned I think they would have been preseason top 10 easily.

If Simmons develops a jumper he will be legit. Right now I don't think he is dangerous outside 10 feet. Best part of his game is his handling and vision.

They could win it all. I have them a top 6 team next season and I can very well see them cutting down the nets.

Kentucky/UNC/Duke/LSU/KU/Maryland/IU are in play for the title IMO.

Wait, IU?? Don't they (thankfully) still have Tom Crean?

LSU became a non factor the moment Jarrel Martin and Jordan Mickey entered the NBA Draft. Had the makings if a super team, nkt just average with a couple of stud freshman, just like many other teams around the country.

Reactions: brianpoe
Thanks a lot Antonio Blakeney you now owe me a new computer keyboard after I spit my drink all over mine while laughing at your ridiculous statement.

Reactions: BBUK
I don't think they'll really be a factor in March, but hopefully with a couple decent players going to SEC schools, they'll be good enough for people not to complain as much about our non-conferenc schedule.

Simmons isn't Magic but he's close enough to get LSU in the discussion. People making fun of the prediction are kidding themselves. They could easily have beaten UK last season. Whether we won or lost was part of the statistical "noise". I think LSU has good players and played us tough. Martin and Mickie weren't the only reasons either. Keith Hornsby was 7-14 and was everywhere on the court. Had they not suddenly gone away from him, he was hot enough to have beaten us. But the coach went with his stars and they were too tired at the end. Hornsby reminds me of the Notre Dame guards who gave us fits in the tournament. Basketball is a team game, but a team with one or two super players coupled with really good players who know the game can go all the way. *cough* Wisconsin.

“I [Simmons] see myself as a point forward,” he said. “That’s if I get a rebound, I take it down the court, run a play or facilitate the other guys."

“If he [Simmons] was a point forward, position-less guy who handled the ball and was trying to create opportunities for himself all the time, then you have a problem,” he [Jones] said. “But he’s not like that."

Looks like the star player / inept coach combo is already in mid-season form.

Simmons isn't Magic but he's close enough to get LSU in the discussion. People making fun of the prediction are kidding themselves. They could easily have beaten UK last season. Whether we won or lost was part of the statistical "noise". I think LSU has good players and played us tough. Martin and Mickie weren't the only reasons either. Keith Hornsby was 7-14 and was everywhere on the court. Had they not suddenly gone away from him, he was hot enough to have beaten us. But the coach went with his stars and they were too tired at the end. Hornsby reminds me of the Notre Dame guards who gave us fits in the tournament. Basketball is a team game, but a team with one or two super players coupled with really good players who know the game can go all the way. *cough* Wisconsin.

I'll make it as clear as I can- you're an idiot.

Did someone in this thread say they could win the title? I guess Murray ST has a decent shot at it as well by that guy's logic. MTSU does as well. Cause LSU has as much of a chance as those two of winning it all.

You can't blame the young for dreaming big, but more often dreaming the impossible brings a bitter taste in one's mouth.
Dreaming is free and talk is cheap. I got $1,000 if Blakeney wants a wager.

I guess it's okay to be confident. The big problem for LSU is their coach. He seems to be able to recruit but can't coach worth a lick.

No idea how good LSU will be. Second in the SEC at best. I stopped reading the article after the Davis line LMAO. I know Simmons is good but SMH.

Has there even been a single lsu fan in this thread?

Are there any lsu basketball fans?

I agree with you Sethc .....worked out great for us Cat's fans that Antonio signed with LSU though. Cards lost a player...we still wanted Antonio... He goes to LSU...we end up with a better player in Murray.

Antonio is an awesome player. I just think Murray showed a flash of something special.

ADVERTISEMENT