Last edited:
200% NIL would not be a problem.

Facilities no problem.

Athletes would love him

Great speaker.

HOF guy with a NC puts him in rare air

No fear guy. Marketer

Wouldn’t hide behind a desk
You would actually want CAL to make the decision on who is the next coach?

it's not in our best interest to keep Cal at this point, so the facilities thing is best not addressed right now.
I hear you…but at the same time as long as Cal isn’t lobbying for “I’ll pay the facility bill for a contract negotiation” and the current contract is as is…then go ahead and let Cal fund the facility and let us at least get something back out of the 9m a year we pay him and the revolving door of “get to the nba as fast as I can” players. If the players want to give back then we should embrace that and make it a 2 way relationship instead of the current ‘come use the program’ relationship

None of this surprises me. My Son worked in the Athletic Department for 12 years working with all teams. He had the least availability in helping the Basketball Program. From the beginning the Basketball Program did things their way and Mitch and Cal had little to do with each other. You Reap what you Sow!

Who knows how much of this is accurate regarding Cal offering to pay for a new facility and Mitch not letting him. I’m sure there is a LOT to this story. Always is when this kind of money is involved.

I wonder, if it’s true that Cal wants to pay for it (or use funds that he raised to pay for it), if Mitch doesn’t want to allow that because of how it really tethers Cal to this program even more than he is right now (yes, even more than a lifetime contract). If Mitch is behind the scenes considering an exit strategy from the Cal era at UK, the last thing he would want to do is allow Cal to throw down 30 mil on this project. It wouldnt make sense if you’re internally considering an exit strategy from the man.

Also this just stinks right now. Who really cares about a practice facility right now. The facility we have is not the reason for our failing program. It’s nothing but a “hey look over there!” strategy by the Cal camp. It’s not the root of the problem.

How are the Mitch defenders going to spin this one? If this report is true, this is absolutely shameful and ridiculous. Mitch thinks he’s bigger than the athletics program and bigger than the university to veto $30 MILLION from former PLAYERS no less. Get him the **** out.

How are the Mitch defenders going to spin this one? If this report is true, this is absolutely shameful and ridiculous. Mitch thinks he’s bigger than the athletics program and bigger than the university. Get him the **** out.
Read my post above. My post isn’t spin, it’s a legitimate reason why Mitch might be hesitant to allow Cal to raise and put down these funds. There’s a TON of money involved. It’s more complex than “Mitch won’t let Cal do it!”

I'm willing to offer both of them to Texas. Oh, what do we want in return? Uhh, some BBQ or something, I mean we'll take whatever or nothing, just take them.

Read my post above. My post isn’t spin, it’s a legitimate reason why Mitch might be hesitant to allow Cal to raise and put down these funds. There’s a TON of money involved. It’s more complex than “Mitch won’t let Cal do it!”
I never labeled you or anyone else for that matter a Mitch defender specifically but if you identify as such that’s fine.

I agree that there are likely moving pieces to this story we are not privy to, but doing anything other than opening your wallet to a free $30 Million is insane to me. Not to mention, many fans have been complaining about one and done for years and about how these players don’t care about the university. Player involvement in this project with numerous NBA stars would be huge for the program regardless of who the coach is, and would allow for these players to give back. Why SPIT in the face of that offer?

I also don’t think a practice facility handcuffs the university into keeping Cal. I just can’t imagine a scenario where the university is like, “Aww shucks, Cal missed the tournament again for the third straight time, and his buyout is significantly less now, but since he raised a ton of money our hands are tied!”

I never labeled you or anyone else for that matter a Mitch defender specifically but if you identify as such be my guest.

I agree that there are likely moving pieces to this story we are not privy to, but doing anything other than opening your wallet to a free $30 Million is insane to me. Not to mention, many fans have been complaining about one and done for years and about how these players don’t care about the university. Player involvement in this project with numerous NBA stars would be huge for the program regardless of who the coach is, and would allow for these players to give back. Why spit in the face of that?

I also don’t think a practice facility handcuffs the university into keeping Cal. I just can’t imagine a scenario where the university is like, “Aww shucks, Cal missed the tournament again for the third straight time, and his buyout is significantly less now, but since he raised a ton of money our hands are tied!”
I’m not even a Mitch defender nor am I identifying as such, I’m simply saying there’s likely a much bigger picture here than “Mitch is turning down a free $30 million for the program.”

He might truly be looking at an exit strategy here and it makes no sense to take the money Cal is offering up because I can assure you, if Cal puts up the money he’s going to want full control of the project and everything that goes into it. It certainly would tether Cal to the program because this would be a big, long term project.

I’m not even a Mitch defender nor am I identifying as such, I’m simply saying there’s likely a much bigger picture here than “Mitch is turning down a free $30 million for the program.”

He might truly be looking at an exit strategy here and it makes no sense to take the money Cal is offering up because I can assure you, if Cal puts up the money he’s going to want full control of the project and everything that goes into it. It certainly would tether Cal to the program because this would be a big, long term project.
There isn’t much of an exit strategy for the next couple of years regardless given the contract that Barnhart himself offered Cal. Barnhart should have considered potential exit strategies when offering such a ludicrous contract in the first place.

Obviously hindsight is 20-20, but Mitch created this contractual situation himself. I’m not really sure what the exit strategy can even be at this point. In my opinion Cal and Mitch both have created an awful situation, but turning down $30 Million dollars in this day and age is simply insane in my opinion. With NIL, some athletics programs are going to be exploding with cash. I’d rather not fall behind in that regard personally.

Either way, this issue needs to be addressed publicly. Problem is, we have an AD that avoids answering to the public about anything like the plague. My guess is that he finally crawls from out of whatever rock he usually hides under because he runs the risk of Cal controlling the narrative.

Last edited:
It doesn’t matter how bad a coach cal is if he raised the money to make improvements to the practice facility then he should be able to move forward. This is typical Barney crap. Either he’s making terrible hires, awful contracts or he’s getting in the way of coaches to make their jobs more difficult ie holding us back on the NIL front. This guy has to go. Imo it will be a catastrophe if cal goes first and Barney is still in place.

If you believe the scuttlebutt, Mitch was dead set against Cal, and was basically told by Mike Pratt and others that if he wouldn't hire Cal, they'd go above him to the president/board. I agree that Mitch needs to go even more than Cal does.
if that was the case, then why did he offer ccc a life time contract?
you don't offer someone you dislike that kind of security blanket

I say use the 30 million towards a new practice facility then sell to the donors that’s 30 million of their money that can go towards CCC’s buyout instead a practice facility.

Reactions: Backer cutter
Solution, get rid of both of them. Get a AD who isn’t letting their political and religious bullshit affect their job. And move on from cal
You're nuts...what the hell does political party or religion have to do with a practice facility. Know Cal is a liberal Democrat because he claims to be a devout Catholic . So that makes he and Barnhart Christians. There is more to putting up a building on campus than raising money. This whole thing sounds petty and Cal has been pissed since Stoops makes a few more dollars than he does. If he's mad here, what's he going to do if he goes there and finds out that Football, spring football, football recruiting and baseball come before basketball.

if that was the case, then why did he offer ccc a life time contract?
you don't offer someone you dislike that kind of security blanket
Even if he loved CCC, I think the contract for he and Stoops are ridiculous especially with no buyout.

We definitely aren't going to deal with trying to fund the rest of one of Cal's pet projects when we might be forced to fire him in the near future. I wouldn't give Cal anything he wants right now. In fact, I would make the job worse for him and not give him anything he wants. Let his legacy get trashed even further and if he doesnt want that then tell him he can quit. Go take a new job and fund part of their practice facility when you get there. If we need a new practice facility to get back on top when Cal is gone, it will happen.

Reactions: RunninRichie
Yes, but Mitch is power trippy and he will never, ever agree to this because it means he loses control over a good part of the program's decisions (and spending). Barney is old school stiff collared pencil pecker still functioning in a 1950s mentality. I was truly STUNNED that he agreed with his hiring committee to bring on Calipari. He's an ultra-conservative (not politically speaking) goofball.

I once worked for an engineering director just like Barney - when we started to propose a project, he had already decided "no", but still asked the team to go through the effort of a full ROI (return on investment) presentation. Took the team around 2 hours to slap one together, I presented, and he instantly said NO, fluffed with a bunch of corporate "spend" talk.

The cost of the "project"? $871. The company is a multimillion dollar, publicly traded entity. The ROI was all of a 9 day turnaround for payback. The process change would have resulted in an additional $321,000 in annual revenue. But this clown was a control freak and loved watching people scramble around for him and then appeared to get a kick out of seeing everyone's faces of dismay when he'd shoot them down.

That's how I envision Mitch Barnhardt.

(edit: that engineering director was eventually let go, took another job, and again was let go after 9 months...too bad Eli can't do the same thing to Mitch)
🤣 He a pencil pecker in more than one way, just ask his missus.

• Haha
Reactions: Wildcats1st

I'll be honest, I'd just as soon to see Barnhart leave as Calipari. They are both on my shit list category.
Cal shoulda shut the hell up and waited his turn. I can see Mitch getting mad b/c of that hell i woulda too. But going into a corner and pouting and not working with your coach is some immature sphomoric bullShit that serves no purpose and is actually a dereliction of his job. So much for that Christian on a sleeve BS he projects.
Damn its infuriating!! And where the hell is Capadickshit president in all of this. Board of Trustees???? Goddamn crickets🤯🤯🤯🤯

You're nuts...what the hell does political party or religion have to do with a practice facility. Know Cal is a liberal Democrat because he claims to be a devout Catholic . So that makes he and Barnhart Christians. There is more to putting up a building on campus than raising money. This whole thing sounds petty and Cal has been pissed since Stoops makes a few more dollars than he does. If he's mad here, what's he going to do if he goes there and finds out that Football, spring football, football recruiting and baseball come before basketball.
Where in that statement did I mention anything about the practice facility not once. Mitch has let his religious and political get in the way of Kentucky with alcohol sales and NIL, which has hurt Kentucky and his relationships with both coaches and in turn hurt Kentucky in competing for right now. Calipari has his own issues (mainly coaching)

Except a huge part of our fanbase right now hates Calipari and will not want anything from him for fear of it meaning he might stick around longer. Or *gasp*, have his name attached to the facility. They don't want any part of Kentucky's history linked to the man except 2012.

I say use it while we can. He's not going to coach forever, and a new facility isn't going to magically correct his downward slide in performance. He'll suck next year and the year after (if he stays), and will finally hang it up, while we get a new facility to use to attract a younger, more hungry coach.
He may stay that long. If he does, it won't matter what they build. Fanbase is dying already. 2-3 more years of Cal will be more than enough to kill it.

He may stay that long. If he does, it won't matter what they build. Fanbase is dying already. 2-3 more years of Cal will be more than enough to kill it.
If this season’s a wash like it’s looking to be, no way he is here 2-3 more years. This state will not stand for it. Tubby wars will look like two turtles making love.

Reactions: Cawood86
Essentially spinning off UK basketball from the rest of the athletic department is an intriguing idea.

lightens athletic department’s load. They drop a high maintenance headache and are able to focus more on football.

Placing Cal in a President of Basketball roll gets him off the bench but keeps him around to do what he does best…be a front man, nba scout, pitch man from on high…he can do his players first schtick, organize combines, and draft night watch parties, and raise NIL money

Bring in a coach who just wants to coach Xs Os and not deal with the other drama.

We definitely aren't going to deal with trying to fund the rest of one of Cal's pet projects when we might be forced to fire him in the near future. I wouldn't give Cal anything he wants right now. In fact, I would make the job worse for him and not give him anything he wants. Let his legacy get trashed even further and if he doesnt want that then tell him he can quit. Go take a new job and fund part of their practice facility when you get there. If we need a new practice facility to get back on top when Cal is gone, it will happen.
Yes do it. Cal raised the money. It helps the program for the next coach it’s absolute insanity not to do it. This isn’t about cal it’s about making our program better. Who cares where the money comes from. Fire Barney tonight that clown has to go he’s awful

Essentially spinning off UK basketball from the rest of the athletic department is an intriguing idea.

lightens athletic department’s load. They drop a high maintenance headache and are able to focus more on football.

Placing Cal in a President of Basketball roll gets him off the bench but keeps him around to do what he does best…be a front man, nba scout, pitch man from on high…he can do his players first schtick, organize combines, and draft night watch parties, and raise NIL money

Bring in a coach who just wants to coach Xs Os and not deal with the other drama.
There’s no reason to peel off basketball. Just hire an ad who can walk and chew gum at the same time.

Barnhart is a terrible Ad. Been telling you all for over a decade.

Me too.Then all the Barney huggers tell me how much revenue the "other sports programs" bring in. And yeah, he ignored football for his first decade, but he's a real football AD. I quit arguing with the ignorance. I feel so much better.

I think this situation is weird and definitely explains a lot about the rife between the two, and I'm also firmly in the 'Barnhart needs to go' camp... but does anyone else not really care about this story right now? I completely believe it's true and Barnhart has no legitimate reason I can think of to say no, but unless Calipari is intentionally losing games as a payback to not getting his way then this is nothing more than a smokescreen from his camp when the real issue right now is what's happening on the court. Figure this out after the season

Hell, I'd be for extending Mitch if he got rid of Cal first. ( a year, then he's gone). And he doesn't select Cals replacement. A committee made up of former players, to hire, and advise. Have people known to bleed blue on the committee. Pat Riley, P. Patt., Macy, etc.

What in the world does a practice faculty have to do with anything…

Plus, we’ve already been over this in the preseason. You do remember when Cal brought this up and made a complete ass of himself, firing shots at our football program in the process. That was the end of whatever he expected to be gifted….then the basketball season started. Yikes.

This jagoff is in no position to talk about anything.
I'm no Cal fan but this article may help more. I can't read the athletic but there are some things listed here that we've all been asking for and blaming Cal but it's actually Barney causing the problem.

Who knows how much of this is accurate regarding Cal offering to pay for a new facility and Mitch not letting him. I’m sure there is a LOT to this story. Always is when this kind of money is involved.

I wonder, if it’s true that Cal wants to pay for it (or use funds that he raised to pay for it), if Mitch doesn’t want to allow that because of how it really tethers Cal to this program even more than he is right now (yes, even more than a lifetime contract). If Mitch is behind the scenes considering an exit strategy from the Cal era at UK, the last thing he would want to do is allow Cal to throw down 30 mil on this project. It wouldnt make sense if you’re internally considering an exit strategy from the man.

Also this just stinks right now. Who really cares about a practice facility right now. The facility we have is not the reason for our failing program. It’s nothing but a “hey look over there!” strategy by the Cal camp. It’s not the root of the problem.
I'm just as curious about the support staff Cal is asking for, something other top programs apparently have but we don't. Barney may be hiding under his desk at this point.

I'm just guessing here but I'm betting well connected boosters are making Barney and Eli pretty miserable right now. Maybe this explains at least some of Cal's "I don't really care anymore" attitude.

I'm no Cal fan but this article may help more. I can't read the athletic but there are some things listed here that we've all been asking for and blaming Cal but it's actually Barney causing the problem.

This article makes it plain Barnhart is stabbing Calipari in the back and setting him up for guaranteed failure. BBN should take note of this and see the big picture. Plus Barnhart rigidity regarding JMI is killing our NIL competitiveness. A wolf in sheep’s clothing. .

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT