ADVERTISEMENT

Cal vs. Mitch; battle for a new practice facility, basketball GM, football apology

Theu both need to go. Neither has done a great job lately
You can’t do anything with cal until Barney is gone I’m afraid to say. If that loser is around to make the next hire we are screwed and it would be nice to have a cycle with a new AD to see what kind of guy he is. Honestly at this point Eli and Barney are like conjoined twins some they may both have to go. Bring in a hard Ass someone willing to push the rules and give him or her a year to crack the whip on cal. See if he responds because we have had an MIA AD for years now.

Reactions: jauk11
Big NO on number 2. UK still needs a football-focused AD (but with a brain unlike Barney).

Also, the new AD should actually GET ALONG with the coaches! I figured that would be a qualifier.
Football is fine. We don’t need to hire a football focused AD that’s some serious BS. I love our fb team but the reality is stoops handles the program well and is probably already at the ceiling. Stoops handles it fine.

If true, this makes Barnhart look like a total clown. He is actively holding the basketball program back from improving.

According to Kyle Tucker, Cal has secured $30 million in funding for a new facility. He is doing the fundraising alone on this and much of it has come from former players. However, Barnhart will not let him proceed with building the new facility.

From The Athletic:

To the first question: If I were GM of Kentucky basketball … the first item on my list would already be covered. Kentucky basketball needs a GM. I would argue every major program in the country today does. With the transfer portal and name, image and likeness transforming college sports — and deeply affecting the building, retention and management of your roster every year — you’d better be highly organized with a sharp leader at the top. To his credit, I’ve heard that Calipari pitched something like this to Barnhart in recent years and was shot down.

Which brings us to that question of athletic director culpability, and absolutely some of this lands at Barnhart’s feet. For whatever reason, he and Calipari no longer have a relationship of any significance. They don’t speak to each other, Barnhart attends fewer games and he hasn’t been to a Kentucky basketball practice in ages. His response to Calipari’s regrettable “basketball school” comments this summer was bizarre at best. Calipari wanted to immediately publicly apologize and was told by Barnhart to keep his mouth shut. Barnhart then joined football coach Mark Stoops for a stunning press conference that felt like an hour-long clapback at Calipari. How in the world was fanning those flames productive?

The bottom line here is that Barnhart signed Calipari to the crazy contract that means they are married to each other, like it or not, for the foreseeable future. So he’d better start talking to his basketball coach and work with him to try to fix this thing. The whole “basketball school” comment came during a Calipari rant about needing a new practice facility to keep up with the Joneses the way Georgia and Alabama football do, even if their current facilities are still fine. Calipari has already secured pledges of about $30 million in private funding — mostly from his former players in the NBA — but Barnhart refuses to let him proceed with planning a facility. He has balked at any request by Calipari to add support staff for basketball (UK’s staff is small compared to other top programs) while handing the football program a blank check.
So what!!!!!!!!! A new facility isn't going to make Cal a better basketball coach. If what you accuse Mitch of is true, it is the only thing his done right in a very long time. Cal isn't here to build new facilities, kiss babies, or any of the other non-basketball things that he might be doing. He is here to consistently coach up a superior basketball team that is always in the hunt for an NC.

Please don't downplay all the good Cal did for the victims of the storm. Say what u want about his coaching, he deserves it, but he was amazing helping out our state when it was needed. Former players who aren't from Ky are more willing to give to the athletic program.
I am sure that everyone appreciates what Cal did for the victims, but that isn't why Cal was hired and it isn't why fans want him gone.

Reactions: Blueworld_3.0
As everything drags on, and little things start to add up, it's almost like Cal has been angling for this since the contract extension. It makes ya think.
It takes a major ego to coach UK basketball. There isn't enough room at UK for two egos; therefore, we don't need Cal hanging around in any capacity.

Last edited:
Reactions: SemperFiCat
I can't imagine any athletic department turning down $30 million and a new facility. It just doesn't make sense. If it is true, then we definitely need new leadership. I suspect that's not the whole story and probably not what's going on.
If the 30 million wasn't coming from what is owed Cal and if the money requires Cal to remain as coach, Mitch should say no thanks!!

So what!!!!!!!!! A new facility isn't going to make Cal a better basketball coach. If what you accuse Mitch of is true, it is the only thing his done right in a very long time. Cal isn't here to build new facilities, kiss babies, or any of the other non-basketball things that he might be doing. He is here to consistently coach up a superior basketball team that is always in the hunt for an NC.
This is so stupid and short sighted. UK “fans” actively cheering for facilities to not be upgraded is pathetic. No true fan would be in favor of not making improvements.

I think it's 50/50 on whether this is legit or Cal is just using Tucker because that would be very Cal-like
THIS is the very first thing I thought of when I read the article earlier today. Calipari is feeling some heat and what better way to distract and deflect that heat than to paint Barnhart into a PR corner? So, I'm going to need to see specific names and pledged amounts from a 3rd party before I buy into this story.
Not saying I support MB, as I most certainly do not. However, Tucker is a well known mouthpiece for Calipari and he knows what gets clicks to that rag he works for.

Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Cal missed his calling as a politician, and I have no clue what Barney is! 😂
Barney would be that slightly creepy and annoying deacon at your church that no one really likes but has to be civil to. He'd also probably be the guy to suggest hiring several unsuited ministers, which would put a great strain on the church with an accompanying high financial risk. He'd stumble or be cajoled into making a few good decisions along the way, though.

If true, this makes Barnhart look like a total clown. He is actively holding the basketball program back from improving.

According to Kyle Tucker, Cal has secured $30 million in funding for a new facility. He is doing the fundraising alone on this and much of it has come from former players. However, Barnhart will not let him proceed with building the new facility.

From The Athletic:

To the first question: If I were GM of Kentucky basketball … the first item on my list would already be covered. Kentucky basketball needs a GM. I would argue every major program in the country today does. With the transfer portal and name, image and likeness transforming college sports — and deeply affecting the building, retention and management of your roster every year — you’d better be highly organized with a sharp leader at the top. To his credit, I’ve heard that Calipari pitched something like this to Barnhart in recent years and was shot down.

Which brings us to that question of athletic director culpability, and absolutely some of this lands at Barnhart’s feet. For whatever reason, he and Calipari no longer have a relationship of any significance. They don’t speak to each other, Barnhart attends fewer games and he hasn’t been to a Kentucky basketball practice in ages. His response to Calipari’s regrettable “basketball school” comments this summer was bizarre at best. Calipari wanted to immediately publicly apologize and was told by Barnhart to keep his mouth shut. Barnhart then joined football coach Mark Stoops for a stunning press conference that felt like an hour-long clapback at Calipari. How in the world was fanning those flames productive?

The bottom line here is that Barnhart signed Calipari to the crazy contract that means they are married to each other, like it or not, for the foreseeable future. So he’d better start talking to his basketball coach and work with him to try to fix this thing. The whole “basketball school” comment came during a Calipari rant about needing a new practice facility to keep up with the Joneses the way Georgia and Alabama football do, even if their current facilities are still fine. Calipari has already secured pledges of about $30 million in private funding — mostly from his former players in the NBA — but Barnhart refuses to let him proceed with planning a facility. He has balked at any request by Calipari to add support staff for basketball (UK’s staff is small compared to other top programs) while handing the football program a blank check.
But seriously is Cal tanking because of things like this?

I would actually rather stuff happen like this:

1. Barnhardt fired this year.

2. Peevy hired as new AD.

3. Cal gets his class next year and steps down per his contract to become Special assistant to Peevy, fundraising, etc.

4. Hire new MBB Coach.

We'd get to see what Cal can do with OAD's one last time. We'd be talk of CBB. Have our AD for the future and a new coach rolling into town.

Probably a pipe dream but I actually like this moreso than what will probably happen.

Inexcusable for AD to sabotage the program.
Sign me up for this plan right now.
It would also save the program from a LOT of very negative PR. Unfortunately, the plan stalls right out of the gate at #1. Who is going to do that?

I would actually rather stuff happen like this:

1. Barnhardt fired this year.

2. Peevy hired as new AD.

3. Cal gets his class next year and steps down per his contract to become Special assistant to Peevy, fundraising, etc.

4. Hire new MBB Coach.

We'd get to see what Cal can do with OAD's one last time. We'd be talk of CBB. Have our AD for the future and a new coach rolling into town.

Probably a pipe dream but I actually like this moreso than what will probably happen.

Inexcusable for AD to sabotage the program.
This will never happen. Cal is an obvious narcissist , and narcissist will never be an assistant. They HAVE to be in charge

Reactions: cathouse
Football is fine. We don’t need to hire a football focused AD that’s some serious BS. I love our fb team but the reality is stoops handles the program well and is probably already at the ceiling. Stoops handles it fine.
It’s not BS. Football pays the bills, and we’ve seen what a disaster ADs like Newton, Hagan were. Focus on the bell cow, and everything including basketball is gravy.

There is no ceiling. We were a heartbeat from winning the East a while back. There’s no ceiling in basketball (provided we have a competent bb coach and AD.

So the plan is to create a GM position for basketball???
May as well...we have become a minor G League anyway.
I'm sure that will fix not being able to keep players, not developing guys past two weeks, and not being able to play zone, attack a zone, set or recognize a screen, run a pick and roll, shoot free throws.

Tucker needs to go ahead and admit he is on the Calipari payroll and wants a piece of the new NBA junior league.

There's a guy named Capiluto, and a board of regents that may have something to say in this...or maybe not, since this will have nothing to do with the University other than the name.

I will be one of the very few that says 'nope'
About this idea.

The nagging issue is why at this moment does Cal feel the need to take a shot at Barnhart while Barnhart has essentially been radio silent about the piss poor performance of his highly paid coach this season?

Maybe something is brewing behind the scenes?
How many employees could go around their boss and try to do something he has already been told "no" on by his boss??

Cal is backstabbing his boss. No one survives doing that. No one.

Cal is trying to get fired. Get his $50M from UK and sign a $11M / year contract with UT.

If you are going to quote me, don't cutoff part of my statement so that it appears opposite of what I said. My statement ended with gone.
Honestly don't know how that happened. I just highlited it. Don't really care if u believe me. I have no agenda.

Reactions: LmdCat
This is so stupid and short sighted. UK “fans” actively cheering for facilities to not be upgraded is pathetic. No true fan would be in favor of not making improvements.
You have your opinion one of which I couldn't possibly care less about. You are the one short sighted by worrying about the facility the players play in while the current coach is destroying the program. With your thinking the following statement would be made. Yeah, they have a great facility but their team sucks and has sucked for years. Also, the facility is beautiful, but it is empty.

Last edited:
Why would you all want Cal as GM? You realize he’d be in charge of hiring the head coach, right? He’d have even less accountability then now and based on his assistant coach hires I’m not sure why anyone would think he’d hire anyone except someone from his coaching tree- and they’re all terrible as head coaches.

If Cal is GM you’re looking at HC of Antigua, Flint, or Payne. If you think Cal is going to advocate for hiring someone outside his tree when all he seems to like are yes men idk what to tell you.
Hello Brad!!

Nah, this isn't going to work. We're not idiots. The practice facility isn't a shit hole (yes, I know, there was a roof leak or something, but still), and other coaches are doing just fine and beating Calipari (some regularly) with even worse facilities.

Mitch is an ass it seems, and is clearly cold-shouldering Calipari for fear of either appearing to not be in control, or wanting Cal gone (or both). But none of this is why Calipari has lost his ability to coach his way past a 15 seed in the NCAAT.
Not all are idiots but look at some of these replies. A lot of idiots bought it hook line and sinker.

Last edited:
why would Cal use Tucker to do this article and opinion the relationship with his boss?.... is it already unable to be repaired? If this is true, and Cal wanted to hire an OC, Barnhart has some explaining to do.
Imagine thinking there are offensive coordinators in basketball. Imagine thinking that the school that spends the most on basketball operations wouldn’t have one if it were a thing.

Really don't care who makes it happen, we need it to happen. Other schools not named Kentucky have better facilities than we do.

I know, there are a LOT of you that in no way shape or form want Calipari connected at all to a new facility because you're afraid that will mean he's here forever. But we gotta take what we can get, and if he's managed to get $30mil set up to fund it, love him or hate him, we need to take advantage of it.

(side note - isn't it strange that Calipari can come up with $30 million for something, but only a few million for storm-ravaged Kentuckians? I'd say it's more noble and important to help people in need than build a gaudy basketball facility, but what do I know...)
How many players has he helped get NBA contracts for hundred's of millions of dollars? How many of those players came from Kentucky?

He might have been sleazy but Tom Jurich accomplished amazing things at UL. He upgraded their facilities and got them into a major conference.
Yeah, ran their football and basketball program into the ground while putting the athletics department in severe debt. Cheated and got his one banner taken down. Amazing indeed.

Cal missed his calling as a politician, and I have no clue what Barney is! 😂
mb is a master politician that doesn't give a crap about our athletic department. Maybe his minor sports trophy. You will never get rid of him until he decides to leave.. Can you imagine how many hundreds of millions he cost the athletic department by running the football program into the TWO two win seasons by doing ZERO improvements for football's facilities his first DECADE on the job? And he became a football hero to a lot of gullible fans because the OTHER programs that did support the MONEY COW made hundreds of millions of dollars available to an athletic department he ran into bankruptcy. He has bought too much support from the academic side of UK to ever get fired.

why would Cal use Tucker to do this article and opinion the relationship with his boss?.... is it already unable to be repaired? If this is true, and Cal wanted to hire an OC, Barnhart has some explaining to do.
I hear Eddie Gran is free. Did Cal ever get around to hiring a “ offensive coordinator” since we have an opening?

I don’t want to hear a peep from MB or Cal until we “get sh*t right” again in the university’s flagship sport.

mb is a master politician that doesn't give a crap about our athletic department. Maybe his minor sports trophy. You will never get rid of him until he decides to leave.. Can you imagine how many hundreds of millions he cost the athletic department by running the football program into the TWO two win seasons by doing ZERO improvements for football's facilities his first DECADE on the job? And he became a football hero to a lot of gullible fans because the OTHER programs that did support the MONEY COW made hundreds of millions of dollars available to an athletic department he ran into bankruptcy. He has bought too much support from the academic side of UK to ever get fired.
Right, after all the great work Larry Ivy and CM Newton did when we completed for SEC titles every year, Barnhart came in and ran the football program into the ground. We had 2 winning seasons the 20 years before Barnhart got here and look how awful the football program is now.

Imagine thinking there are offensive coordinators in basketball. Imagine thinking that the school that spends the most on basketball operations wouldn’t have one if it were a thing.
Which schools spend the most on basketball? I know Kansas coach is paid more than UK's, but then he is also a master cheater. Escaped the latest penalties for buying players because NIL made it legal for all schools to buy players.
Right, after all the great work Larry Ivy and CM Newton did when we completed for SEC titles every year, Barnhart came in and ran the football program into the ground. We had 2 winning seasons the 20 years before Barnhart got here and look how awful the football program is now.
TWO winning seasons in 20 years? Never miss a chance to exaggerate.

The football program would have never recovered if the OTHER football ADs that did support THE money cow hadn't started THROWING hundreds of millions at all the SEC schools. Even the ONE that lost 20,000 season ticket holders, 15,000 net because about 5,000 bought back in when the SEC rescued FOOTBALL. And the two TWO win seasons and the FIVE years in a row with no bowl games contributed a lot to the flood of money from the SEC schools that did support football. Making it necessary to buy the $120M LOAN plus the $60M bribe for the no brainer football improvements, absolutely necessary to revive the football program that the nearby city school recruits were making fun of. The football facilities that had ZERO real improvements for our ADs first DECADE in power. While he used FOOTBALL's money to invest in his pursuit of the Director's Cup.

Last edited:
Reactions: Skyguyb27
Which schools spend the most on basketball? I know Kansas coach is paid more than UK's, but then he is also a master cheater. Escaped the latest penalties for buying players because NIL made it legal for all schools to buy players.

The football program would have never recovered if the OTHER football ADs that did support THE money cow hadn't started THROWING hundreds of millions at all the SEC schools. Even the ONE that lost 20,000 season ticket holders, 15,000 net because about 5,000 bought back in when the SEC rescued FOOTBALL. And the two TWO win seasons and the FIVE years in a row with no bowl games contributed a lot to the flood of money from the SEC schools that did support football. Making it necessary to buy the $120M LOAN plus the $60M bribe for the no brainer football improvements, absolutely necessary to revive the football program that the nearby city school recruits were making fun of. The football facilities that had ZERO real improvements for our ADs first DECADE in power. While he used FOOTBALL's money to invest in his pursuit of the Director's Cup.
My bad, 4 winning seasons in the 23 years before Barnhart. Then he came in and ran the program into the ground. Bwahahaha, I can’t stop laughing at your ignorance. Sorry about the exaggeration tho.

1978Southeastern ConferenceT5th461
1979Southeastern ConferenceT4th56
1980Southeastern Conference6th38
1981Southeastern ConferenceT4th38
1982Jerry ClaiborneSoutheastern ConferenceT8th0101
1983Southeastern Conference4th651
1984Southeastern ConferenceT4th93
Won 1984 Hall of Fame Bowl against Wisconsin, 20–19​
1985Southeastern Conference7th56
1986Southeastern ConferenceT4th551
1987Southeastern ConferenceT7th56
1988Southeastern ConferenceT8th56
1989Southeastern ConferenceT7th65
1990Bill CurrySoutheastern Conference5th47
1991Southeastern Conference10th38
1992Southeastern Conference5th47
1993Southeastern Conference3rd66
Lost 1993 Peach Bowlagainst Clemson, 13–14​
1994Southeastern Conference4th110
1995Southeastern Conference5th47
1996Southeastern ConferenceT4th47
1997Hal MummeSoutheastern Conference5th56
1998Southeastern Conference4th75
Lost 1999 Outback Bowl against Penn State, 14–26​
1999Southeastern Conference4th66
Lost 1999 Music City Bowl against Syracuse, 13–20​
2000Southeastern Conference6th29

Top 25 Coaches 2022-23

RankCoachSchoolTotal PayConf.
1John CalipariKentucky$8,533,483SEC
2Bill SelfKansas$5,963,800Big 12
3Tom IzzoMichigan St$5,738,727Big Ten
4Rick BarnesTennessee$5,450,000SEC
5Bruce PearlAuburn$5,449,152SEC
6Chris Beard (Was hired by Ole Miss,
will be paid $3.25M/year)
Texas$5,005,000Big 12
7Tony BennettVirginia$4,830,345ACC
8Brad UnderwoodIllinois$4,600,550Big Ten
9Bob HugginsWest Virginia$4,150,000Big 12

Yeah wow, reading that last part:

Calipari has already secured pledges of about $30 million in private funding — mostly from his former players in the NBA — but Barnhart refuses to let him proceed with planning a facility. He has balked at any request by Calipari to add support staff for basketball (UK’s staff is small compared to other top programs)

... That's alarming.
I wonder if there was strings attached to that 30 million that isn’t in the article.

So the other SEC schools threw hundreds of millions of dollars at us. LOL at your pathetic lies.

ADVERTISEMENT