ADVERTISEMENT

Cal vs. Mitch; battle for a new practice facility, basketball GM, football apology

Please don't downplay all the good Cal did for the victims of the storm. Say what u want about his coaching, he deserves it, but he was amazing helping out our state when it was needed. Former players who aren't from Ky are more willing to give to the athletic program.
Not at all doing that and fully appreciate what he's done in that regard.

But still, managing to conjure up $30 MILLION for a building and comparing it to the $3-5 million they scratched together for Kentuckians isn't a good look. Our society is just a bit screwed up in that regard, that was my point. Rich folks have a twisted way about their "charity" focuses.

Why would you all want Cal as GM? You realize he’d be in charge of hiring the head coach, right? He’d have even less accountability then now and based on his assistant coach hires I’m not sure why anyone would think he’d hire anyone except someone from his coaching tree- and they’re all terrible as head coaches.

If Cal is GM you’re looking at HC of Antigua, Flint, or Payne. If you think Cal is going to advocate for hiring someone outside his tree when all he seems to like are yes men idk what to tell you.

Kyle Tucker did his job.Took the heat off Cal and put it on Mitch.
Nah, this isn't going to work. We're not idiots. The practice facility isn't a shit hole (yes, I know, there was a roof leak or something, but still), and other coaches are doing just fine and beating Calipari (some regularly) with even worse facilities.

Mitch is an ass it seems, and is clearly cold-shouldering Calipari for fear of either appearing to not be in control, or wanting Cal gone (or both). But none of this is why Calipari has lost his ability to coach his way past a 15 seed in the NCAAT.

Reactions: westerncat
I would actually rather stuff happen like this:

1. Barnhardt fired this year.

2. Peevy hired as new AD.

3. Cal gets his class next year and steps down per his contract to become Special assistant to Peevy, fundraising, etc.

4. Hire new MBB Coach.

We'd get to see what Cal can do with OAD's one last time. We'd be talk of CBB. Have our AD for the future and a new coach rolling into town.

Probably a pipe dream but I actually like this moreso than what will probably happen.

Inexcusable for AD to sabotage the program.
Big NO on number 2. UK still needs a football-focused AD (but with a brain unlike Barney).

Also, the new AD should actually GET ALONG with the coaches! I figured that would be a qualifier.

Last edited:
Thank you AD Barnhart. Calipari is focused to much on new buildings and keeping up with the Joneses.

His job now is to win a few games. Forget buildings, new facilities or other distractions. Forget adding to the staff. Calipari is paid to win and not lose to South Carolina at Rupp. Until he proves he can do that he should keep quiet and spend time on coming up with game plans that can beat somebody.

Tennessee is Saturday. Don't embarrass the program any further.
In all fairness, and I’m one of the top Cal critics, but if Mitch was doing his job properly, Cal wouldn’t feel like he needs to take it upon himself.

If true, this makes Barnhart look like a total clown. He is actively holding the basketball program back from improving.

According to Kyle Tucker, Cal has secured $30 million in funding for a new facility. He is doing the fundraising alone on this and much of it has come from former players. However, Barnhart will not let him proceed with building the new facility.

From The Athletic:

To the first question: If I were GM of Kentucky basketball … the first item on my list would already be covered. Kentucky basketball needs a GM. I would argue every major program in the country today does. With the transfer portal and name, image and likeness transforming college sports — and deeply affecting the building, retention and management of your roster every year — you’d better be highly organized with a sharp leader at the top. To his credit, I’ve heard that Calipari pitched something like this to Barnhart in recent years and was shot down.

Which brings us to that question of athletic director culpability, and absolutely some of this lands at Barnhart’s feet. For whatever reason, he and Calipari no longer have a relationship of any significance. They don’t speak to each other, Barnhart attends fewer games and he hasn’t been to a Kentucky basketball practice in ages. His response to Calipari’s regrettable “basketball school” comments this summer was bizarre at best. Calipari wanted to immediately publicly apologize and was told by Barnhart to keep his mouth shut. Barnhart then joined football coach Mark Stoops for a stunning press conference that felt like an hour-long clapback at Calipari. How in the world was fanning those flames productive?

The bottom line here is that Barnhart signed Calipari to the crazy contract that means they are married to each other, like it or not, for the foreseeable future. So he’d better start talking to his basketball coach and work with him to try to fix this thing. The whole “basketball school” comment came during a Calipari rant about needing a new practice facility to keep up with the Joneses the way Georgia and Alabama football do, even if their current facilities are still fine. Calipari has already secured pledges of about $30 million in private funding — mostly from his former players in the NBA — but Barnhart refuses to let him proceed with planning a facility. He has balked at any request by Calipari to add support staff for basketball (UK’s staff is small compared to other top programs) while handing the football program a blank check.
Mitch is apparently deploying the passive aggressive style in dealing with Cal. There is absolutely no downside to upgrading the basketball facilities if Cal has raised the money privately. It wouldn't cost the Athletic Department a single dollar. What AD in the country would turn down a facility upgrade at no cost to the Athletic Department. It would still be there even if Cal is not. Mitch's time has come and gone and I believe that is true irrespective of Cal's situation.

1. If the $30M is true Cal has secured.
2. What is the total cost of new building? If the cost is like $300M and he's got 10% raised....and the rest is on the hook for UK to foot the bill...I'd not proceed either if I were AD.
3. In the end, if a building project is going to make Cal want to stay at UK vs. pissing him off to not build it...and hopefully he leaves. Then I am 1000% in agreement to not move forward to a building.

A practice facility isn't going to fix a dang problem we have today. The goal is to have an elite bball program again and it's crystal clear it won't happen with Cal around. So anything that works to keep him around is a bad idea.

I would not believe anything Calipari says.
N0o8qN6.gif

This is just Cal using his boy Tucker to get the fan base stirred up and make everyone believe he is the poor little victim in the failure of HIS basketball program.

Just where do you think Tucker came by all this "inside information" on the basketball program issues?? Lol. Cal the politician knows how to sway public opinion. Spin your story in the media and never give the other side of the story or only give partial facts. We have seen this one play out over and over the past decade.

How can you blame the AD (and I think MB needs to retire BEFORE we hire another basketball coach), when you say MB has nothing to do with Cal or the program any longer?

When will Cal actually take responsibility for ANYTHING in this mess that HE and HIS NBA CRONIES have made of our once proud basketball program.

This is just Cal using his boy Tucker to get the fan base stirred up and make everyone believe he is the poor little victim in the failure of HIS basketball program.

Just where do you think Tucker came by all this "inside information" on the basketball program issues?? Lol. Cal the politician knows how to sway public opinion. Spin your story in the media and never give the other side of the story or only give partial facts. We have seen this one play out over and over the past decade.

How can you blame the AD (and I think MB needs to retire BEFORE we hire another basketball coach), when you say MB has nothing to do with Cal or the program any longer?

When will Cal actually take responsibility for ANYTHING in this mess that HE and HIS NBA CRONIES have made of our once proud basketball program.
This exactly
Found it very suspicious

Reactions: cathouse

ZI0z0s1.gif

• Haha
Reactions: cathouse
I joined a few minutes late but this is a recap of what Matt Jones had to say:
  • Not taking away anything from Cal's issues but he believes (or knows) everything Tucker writes about Mitch is correct
  • Believes the scouting is being done as mentioned but that assistants are also surely involved. Not unusual compared to what other teams do. If assistants aren't included he would be shocked and it would be unacceptable. Not sure any of the current assistants are good with Xs and Os. It should be Flint's role
  • Hindrance to practice facility is lack of space near Memorial. Also, Title 9 ramifications. It would have to be a men's and women's facility. But, not a good enough reason for Mitch to be blocking this
  • Someone needs to get Cal on the record (highly unlikely) to confirm he has the money raised
  • Nobody can ask or press Cal or Mitch on anything because JMI controls everything and there is no opportunity to ask anything JMI doesn't want asked
  • MJ believes this article was put out with Cal's knowledge to purposely take shots at Mitch. It has been in the works for some time
  • Kyle added anti-Cal stuff on his own to the article
Taking questions from people listening:
  • Cal/Mitch issues are not political
  • Says Eli should get involved and say something but that's not his style so not sure what he would say or do
  • Mitch will not ever be fired or told to leave unless he wants to retire
  • Cal is not ever moving to the ambassador role. Anyone who thinks Pitino could be an option is crazy. Will never happen at UK. Not doing great at Iona and nobody else has showed any interest in hiring him
  • Fans are kind of stuck in the situation. Fans can continue to cheer and support the team but short of not going to games there isn't anything fans can do
  • On Cal to fix this mess on all accounts. He can repair relationship with fans, with Mitch. He can bring back Robic or someone else to be the offensive guru for the team
  • DeWayne Peevy will be the AD when Mitch leaves
  • Won't get into what happened with Robic's departure. Doesn't think Robic will return
  • Doesn't know if Tucker is correct that players don't have great relationship with assistant coaches
  • Said people near the bench did not believe Wallace was injured. But, he has had back spasm issues so it could be

why would Cal use Tucker to do this article and opinion the relationship with his boss?.... is it already unable to be repaired? If this is true, and Cal wanted to hire an OC, Barnhart has some explaining to do.

The nagging issue is why at this moment does Cal feel the need to take a shot at Barnhart while Barnhart has essentially been radio silent about the piss poor performance of his highly paid coach this season?

Maybe something is brewing behind the scenes?

If true, this makes Barnhart look like a total clown. He is actively holding the basketball program back from improving.

According to Kyle Tucker, Cal has secured $30 million in funding for a new facility. He is doing the fundraising alone on this and much of it has come from former players. However, Barnhart will not let him proceed with building the new facility.

From The Athletic:

To the first question: If I were GM of Kentucky basketball … the first item on my list would already be covered. Kentucky basketball needs a GM. I would argue every major program in the country today does. With the transfer portal and name, image and likeness transforming college sports — and deeply affecting the building, retention and management of your roster every year — you’d better be highly organized with a sharp leader at the top. To his credit, I’ve heard that Calipari pitched something like this to Barnhart in recent years and was shot down.

Which brings us to that question of athletic director culpability, and absolutely some of this lands at Barnhart’s feet. For whatever reason, he and Calipari no longer have a relationship of any significance. They don’t speak to each other, Barnhart attends fewer games and he hasn’t been to a Kentucky basketball practice in ages. His response to Calipari’s regrettable “basketball school” comments this summer was bizarre at best. Calipari wanted to immediately publicly apologize and was told by Barnhart to keep his mouth shut. Barnhart then joined football coach Mark Stoops for a stunning press conference that felt like an hour-long clapback at Calipari. How in the world was fanning those flames productive?

The bottom line here is that Barnhart signed Calipari to the crazy contract that means they are married to each other, like it or not, for the foreseeable future. So he’d better start talking to his basketball coach and work with him to try to fix this thing. The whole “basketball school” comment came during a Calipari rant about needing a new practice facility to keep up with the Joneses the way Georgia and Alabama football do, even if their current facilities are still fine. Calipari has already secured pledges of about $30 million in private funding — mostly from his former players in the NBA — but Barnhart refuses to let him proceed with planning a facility. He has balked at any request by Calipari to add support staff for basketball (UK’s staff is small compared to other top programs) while handing the football program a blank check.
How much would this facility cost?

"For whatever reason, he and Calipari no longer have a relationship of any significance. They don’t speak to each other, Barnhart attends fewer games and he hasn’t been to a Kentucky basketball practice in ages"

Ah yes, now we're getting into it.....
Explains a LOT. Like why a 10 million a year employee isn't doing his job at all. There is NO oversight! Barnhart is AWOL, while Calipari does whatever he wants.

The nagging issue is why at this moment does Cal feel the need to take a shot at Barnhart while Barnhart has essentially been radio silent about the piss poor performance of his highly paid coach this season?

Maybe something is brewing behind the scenes?
Well it clearly another attempt at deflection away from Calipari. The good news is a civil war plays into our hands. Let them start turning on each other. They are all to blame.

Yeah wow, reading that last part:

Calipari has already secured pledges of about $30 million in private funding — mostly from his former players in the NBA — but Barnhart refuses to let him proceed with planning a facility. He has balked at any request by Calipari to add support staff for basketball (UK’s staff is small compared to other top programs)

... That's alarming.
I’m going to copy and paste a reply I made to another thread on this same topic because it could get lost there. Would like to get thoughts here as well.

Who knows how much of this is accurate regarding Cal offering to pay for a new facility and Mitch not letting him. I’m sure there is a LOT to this story. Always is when this kind of money is involved.

I wonder, if it’s true that Cal wants to pay for it (or use funds that he raised to pay for it), if Mitch doesn’t want to allow that because of how it really tethers Cal to this program even more than he is right now (yes, even more than a lifetime contract). If Mitch is behind the scenes considering an exit strategy from the Cal era at UK, the last thing he would want to do is allow Cal to throw down 30 mil on this project. It wouldnt make sense if you’re internally considering an exit strategy from the man.

Cal having former UK NBA players pay for the practice facility is a brilliant legacy move. Wouldn't be surprised to hear the plan was to call it the Calipari Center.

Honestly I had the anger dialed up to about 11 on Cal. The self funded $30m practice facility drops it back to 9 on a scale of 1 to 10

The article served its purpose.

Interesting to me is that Jones claims he knew all of this, but is probably more all in on this is 100% Cal's to fix than he ever has been

Last edited:
Reactions: STL_Cat
It doesn't really change he my thoughts on Cal and whether or not he needs to leave, is good for the program, etc etc .

But if it is true that MB has been blocking resources and funding the last few years.. than I do consider that another hurdle that Cal had to deal with (teams cheating, officiating help and so on).

Not that I give him a pass here.. but man, it does make me wonder how he'd do with a fresh start at a place like Texas.

• Haha
Reactions: cornbreadnmilk
Jones says Barnhart will stay here as long as he wants.

Yet we already have his replacement lined up.

I find it hard to believe that its not getting hot for Barnhart , even if the President is running interference for him

Both need to go. The second Cal leaves force Barnhart to retire. I sure don't want him involved with another hire or contract negotiation. I'd be fine getting rid of Barnhart first if they can get a new AD that will get Cal out of here. I know how much Barnhart and Cal don't get along, so it might be better to keep Barnhart to irritate Cal even more to make his life hell and hopefully get Cal to leave on his own.

I was ready to argue with the OP a bit until I read it.

Barnhart has to go
Only thing I’ll say about the op and others is that a few of us have been sounding the alarm on Barney for years and all we hear is how great our other sports are doing. About how well fb is doing. Fb is doing well inspite of Barney. He had no clue to hire stoops until stoops approached him with a plan. The guy doesn’t have a genuine thought in his head and has failed miserably in so many ways. He’s like a golfer who gets a mulligan on every hole. The clown needed to be gone BEFORE he gave away the future to cal. No one listened. It’s amazing how many will follow the leader into an ambush. Bbn has enabled this clown to wreck everything from the fan experience to the coaches he hires to contracts.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT