ADVERTISEMENT

K. Tucker not happy with Cal

JST390-2

Junior
Nov 1, 2015
Florida
No amount of spin can change the fact that Calipari and his staff have failed to make a single move to improve next season’s roster since last season ended. That inaction looks even worse when compared to Kentucky’s blue-blooded peers.

Duke’s two draft entrees are projected first-rounders, the Blue Devils did not lose a single player to the portal, they added four five-star freshmen and got former five-stars Kyle Filipowski, Mark Mitchell, Tyrese Proctor and Jeremy Roach to return. Kansasis returning three key starters — Dajuan Harris Jr., Kevin McCullar Jr. and KJ Adams — signed a top-10 freshman class and added three of the top available transfers in Dickinson, Arterio Morris(Texas) and Nicolas Timberlake (Towson). That looks like carefully planned roster management. What Kentucky has done so far looks a lot like a lack of planning.

It’s probably also time for Calipari to take a long look in the mirror and ask why he struggles so much with roster retention. Why don’t players without clear paths to sticking in the pros not want to stay and play at one of the premier programs in college basketball? Is it something about the way they’re being coached or developed? A lack of relationships between the staff and players? It has been suggested that a major factor is other programs promising huge NIL deals while Calipari refuses to make such guarantees — and that seems like a cop-out. Anyone who has been paying attention knows Tshiebwe cleaned up in NIL money, even as he had to navigate student-visa red tape. Several Kentucky players have raked in six figures.

The complete disintegration of last season’s roster, when the Wildcats badly need bodies, suggests a deeper problem. Whatever that is, it’s time for Calipari to pinpoint the issue and fix it. In the meantime, tweeting out a 202-word statement, which reads like that famous “this is fine” meme from inside a burning house, probably won’t do much to quiet the ever-louder alarm.

No amount of spin can change the fact that Calipari and his staff have failed to make a single move to improve next season’s roster since last season ended. That inaction looks even worse when compared to Kentucky’s blue-blooded peers.

Duke’s two draft entrees are projected first-rounders, the Blue Devils did not lose a single player to the portal, they added four five-star freshmen and got former five-stars Kyle Filipowski, Mark Mitchell, Tyrese Proctor and Jeremy Roach to return. Kansasis returning three key starters — Dajuan Harris Jr., Kevin McCullar Jr. and KJ Adams — signed a top-10 freshman class and added three of the top available transfers in Dickinson, Arterio Morris(Texas) and Nicolas Timberlake (Towson). That looks like carefully planned roster management. What Kentucky has done so far looks a lot like a lack of planning.

It’s probably also time for Calipari to take a long look in the mirror and ask why he struggles so much with roster retention. Why don’t players without clear paths to sticking in the pros not want to stay and play at one of the premier programs in college basketball? Is it something about the way they’re being coached or developed? A lack of relationships between the staff and players? It has been suggested that a major factor is other programs promising huge NIL deals while Calipari refuses to make such guarantees — and that seems like a cop-out. Anyone who has been paying attention knows Tshiebwe cleaned up in NIL money, even as he had to navigate student-visa red tape. Several Kentucky players have raked in six figures.

The complete disintegration of last season’s roster, when the Wildcats badly need bodies, suggests a deeper problem. Whatever that is, it’s time for Calipari to pinpoint the issue and fix it. In the meantime, tweeting out a 202-word statement, which reads like that famous “this is fine” meme from inside a burning house, probably won’t do much to quiet the ever-louder alarm.
That's the most spot on and worth-reading thing Tucker has ever written. He's finally thinking for himself instead of just doing the Baghdad Bob cheerleader routine spouting the party line.

You know Cal's peeved folks off when even his former bootlickers are turning on him.

9Kt9iJo.jpg

He's burning it down, boys.
Alright, come on now. You are now on the side that thinks Cal is purposely trying to burn down the program? I'm not defending the woeful offseason we've had. That's on Cal and the culture he's built. But I'll never understand the guys that say he's purposefully trying to harm the program.

Alright, come on now. You are now on the side that thinks Cal is purposely trying to burn down the program? I'm not defending the woeful offseason we've had. That's on Cal and the culture he's built. But I'll never understand the guys that say he's purposefully trying to harm the program.
Nah, not really. I'm kind of being purposefully over the top about it. I don't think he's trying to destroy the program, but it sure does seem like he's walling off and burning down about every good relationship he has.

Duke clear title favorite.

Have to hope the young and inexperienced coach messes it up.
I like Michigan State who returned Akins and Hoggard yesterday and has a really nice team.

The team who has a really talented roster but is coached by a guy who is a jackass is Ohio State. If Holtmann lets them play, they have some serious talent and depth. Odds are he'll somehow figure out they must play in the high 50's and grind it out though.

Reactions: bluefaithful
I like Michigan State who returned Akins and Hoggard yesterday and has a really nice team.

The team who has a really talented roster but is coached by a guy who is a jackass is Ohio State. If Holtmann lets them play, they have some serious talent and depth. Odds are he'll somehow figure out they must play in the high 50's and grind it out though.
And UK will be about the 4th or 5 best team in the SEC.Good times ahead.

Why would transfers want to play for a coach who prioritizes freshmen and cares more about their NBA draft stock than veteran player development? Cal had to jettison his veterans to live up to the playing time promises he made his blue chippers. You simply cannot recruit like it’s 2010 and win against teams that have 5th-year seniors and grad transfers. Next year could get ugly.

I'd respect this if it was written by someone who didn't kiss Sahvir Wheeler's ass because he was an inside source, then lied about him playing, and wasted time convincing Kentucky fans that Oscar was very likely to return. Being wrong is fine. But you can't be wrong as often as Tucker when you charge people for your information. This update is not wrong but it sounds more like a jilted writer who is cut out of the loop and angry about it than someone who objectively covers the program.

I'd respect this if it was written by someone who didn't kiss Sahvir Wheeler's ass because he was an inside source, then lied about him playing, and wasted time convincing Kentucky fans that Oscar was very likely to return. Being wrong is fine. But you can't be wrong as often as Tucker when you charge people for your information. This update is not wrong but it sounds more like a jilted writer who is cut out of the loop and angry about it than someone who objectively covers the program.

I'd love all the inside dirt on Wheeler. I don't get why someone like him was giving favorable treatment over Wallace until the injury forced caliparis hand.

Not askinf you to share any side info and I just meant as a general thought but the Wheeler saga at the ncaa really annoyed me.

Wait. So, the same thing that happened to Matt Jones? Maybe it’s not the journalists and maybe just maybe it’s the arrogant fool running our program.

And UK will be about the 4th or 5 best team in the SEC.Good times ahead.
It'll be interesting. I mean it's usually the end when someone mentions "going back to what worked" because it means you've tried everything else and are at a loss. So either the team will surprise and play well or you start talking about getting someone in who can get the program where it needs to get. Either way, it's an end game positive.

Wait. So, the same thing that happened to Matt Jones? Maybe it’s not the journalists and maybe just maybe it’s the arrogant fool running our program.
I have no issue with anyone criticizing the program. But Tucker's been made to look out the loop and stupid a lot in the offseason. He's also promoted incorrect info the point he's been arrogant. Guys like him don't like it when they are wrong and look stupid. They also charge people for information and to read their content. As Andrew Slater says "I'm not a recruiting expert but....." and it's due to guys who like to pretend to know things and don't. In this case, you get better free info about the program on this site from a lot of people than what this guy is charging to be an expert covering the team.

As for Matt Jones, I don't know much about him other than what fans have said about him. Good and bad. So don't understand your comment?

KT is just pissed that in Cals statement this morning he eluded to the fact there was moves being made behind the scenes that no one knows about...and KT has spent years convincing his social media followers he knows all things behind the scenes at UK.... and let this sink in about KT, he blocked me on twitter a while back for me badmouthing Biden, he after all that has come out he still defends Biden .... that should yell you all you need to know about KT

KT is just pissed that in Cals statement this morning he eluded to the fact there was moves being made behind the scenes that no one knows about...and KT has spent years convincing his social media followers he knows all things behind the scenes at UK.... and let this sink in about KT, he blocked me on twitter a while back for me badmouthing Biden, he after all that has come out he still defends Biden .... that should yell you all you need to know about KT
Oh yes Cal has all those moves behind the scenes that not a soul knows about.You poor soul.

INo amount of spin can change the fact that Calipari and his staff have failed to make a single move to improve next season’s roster since last season ended. That inaction looks even worse when compared to Kentucky’s blue-blooded peers.

I think we will hear more about the recruitment of transfers in the coming days. We will not start the summer trip with only 7 scholarship players. Kentucky is not the only school with retention issues. It is widespread throughout college basketball. As an example, Kansas lost 8 players to the portal.

I think we will hear more about the recruitment of transfers in the coming days. We will not start the summer trip with only 7 scholarship players. Kentucky is not the only school with retention issues. It is widespread throughout college basketball. As an example, Kansas lost 8 players to the portal.
But how many did they gain back?

I have no issue with anyone criticizing the program. But Tucker's been made to look out the loop and stupid a lot in the offseason. He's also promoted incorrect info the point he's been arrogant. Guys like him don't like it when they are wrong and look stupid. They also charge people for information and to read their content. As Andrew Slater says "I'm not a recruiting expert but....." and it's due to guys who like to pretend to know things and don't. In this case, you get better free info about the program on this site from a lot of people than what this guy is charging to be an expert covering the team.

As for Matt Jones, I don't know much about him other than what fans have said about him. Good and bad. So don't understand your comment?
the point is if he’s been cut out of the program because he’s been critical of Cal. I’m not the biggest Tucker fan but a pattern is developing here.

THE PROBLEM WITH UK BASKETBALL IS JOHN CALIPARI

And gained the top transfer prospect. Bad comparison man.

Reactions: delk4three

Yeah plus MSU is adding a sneaky good group of freshmen to mix with returnees.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT