ADVERTISEMENT

KSR/Matt Jones held accountable by Rivals

If the folks at rivals starve, it is because they do not have the business acumen that Matt has. It cant be from a lack of content and info, cause obviously Matt steals all his info from rivals. So Rivals is privileged to the exact same info Matt had.

In a free market society, usually the one who is most gifted/intelligent will be the one who is rewarded. Since rivals and Matt had the same info and content, I would say he knew better how to market and sell that information.

Its not the information itself, but the presentation of the information. Matt is not successful because he stole, he is successful cause he is very smart.

I partially agree. Matt has an awesome ability to grab your attention. He has great energy and can be funny. Combine that with others pictures and premium content and you just might have a million dollar business. While the folks at rivals and the independent photographers in the business starve.

His radio show, the times I have listened, seems a lot like an attempt at Seinfeld. He seems to want the characters to be more important than the story. That said, he is a very good radio communicator (except for the loud voice) and tells good stories. It’s entertaining to many. Because I don’t have an interest in the subjects of many of those stories (the cast of the show), it’s not my cup of tea.

I do think Matt has been smart to take a Finebaun approach to his callers. Matt seems to want those regular goofballs to call his show. While I have a limited sample, I feel he was far more demeaning to some callers early on than he seems to be now. I think that is a smart approach. I also think he handles child callers well after the games (this is my greatest exposure to Matt on the radio - my drive home).

Reactions: Jkwo
Some people on here are acting like Matt is successful because he stole information and content.

Matt is successful because he is entertaining, a good story teller and understands marketing. It has little to do with his information.

These are the same people that hate his show and complain about how he needs to stick to UK sports content. But that is not the kind of show that will draw a huge audience, most people find that kind of radio very boring.

Also, I am someone who can not comprehend why anyone would spend a dime for "premium information". If it is something relevant, it will not be kept private for long.
Because places like rivals and KSR want to drop the scoop. They want to be the first person reporting something. Matt got his initial following by linking his site here and gathering info. That slowly turned into a radio show that boomed when coach cal got here and people couldn’t get enough Kentucky basketball coverage.

Because places like rivals and KSR want to drop the scoop. They want to be the first person reporting something. Matt got his initial following by linking his site here and gathering info. That slowly turned into a radio show that boomed when coach cal got here and people couldn’t get enough Kentucky basketball coverage.

Exactly both sites want to be the first to post info on recrtuits or happenings around the program. The thing is, Rivals posts that as premium info.

Like for example Rivals PAYs to send a writer/photographer to interview and watch McDaniels. Rivals posts it as premium content.

Someone with an account at rivals and a website or radio show then posts/says ok after the break we have some info on McDaniels that you wont want to miss.

That's not cool and really could be grounds for a lawsuit IMHO

Good Lord! No wonder so many people ridicule and belittle UK fans every chance they get.

There are countless people shooting up each other almost daily; a catastrophic drug epidemic destroying our society; people homeless and starving; 800,000 plus currently without work because of a government shutdown. Not to mention we just had our best win of the season 2 days ago. Yet, here with are with a 5 page thread over 2 insecure, seemingly worthless, mouth-breathing morons, clearly jealous of each other over who can post more useless and incorrect info than the other, having a loser battle on the internet over a trivial issue at best.

Some of you all need to check your priorities and get a grip on life and what is important. This unhealthy obsession some of you all have with radio personalities is concerning to say the least. I feel like some of them must have molested you all or something in a past life.

Let's be fair, is it any better that we have an "unhealthy obsession" with a sport being played by college kids? I don't think people being homeless and starving can compare to that either, do you?

Rivals is owned by Yahoo doing business under Oath inc which is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, a $126 Billion Dollar Company.

My "starve" comment was about the writers/photographers that work for rivals, and the independent writers/photographers whose work has been and seemingly continues to be stolen.

Last edited:
Reactions: saxonburgcat
Some people on here are acting like Matt is successful because he stole information and content.

Matt is successful because he is entertaining, a good story teller and understands marketing. It has little to do with his information.

These are the same people that hate his show and complain about how he needs to stick to UK sports content. But that is not the kind of show that will draw a huge audience, most people find that kind of radio very boring.

Also, I am someone who can not comprehend why anyone would spend a dime for "premium information". If it is something relevant, it will not be kept private for long.
Like a drippy fawcet!

Don’t have screen shots but years ago when KSR first came to be and Jeff Drummond worked on this site (think it was CP back then or maybe WildCatChat?? - yep, I’ve been around forever; was CrumsBaldSpot until I went LordEgg and forgot my password), Jeff would let Matt link his fledgly site to create traffic. Jones went to Duke and did have an occasional inside scoop under his Magloire52 name and was likes in the board. However, premium info started to appear on his site once he started to gain a following and he was called out on it. By the time he was banned from linking his site - his mission had already been accomplished.

His quote was “information cannot be copywriter” and used it as an excuse for stealing the info and betraying Jeff’s trust. That shows you what kind of calculated sociopath you are dealing with.

It was Kentucky sports report which was the biggest board at the time. Maybe the only board. Jones ran off and started ksr to steal their web traffic (since both had the acronym ksr).

So his entire business was built on stealing info and then web traffic

That's 100% true. That's entirely how he started.

I will just say this....Matt Jones has been great for the UK Fan base. He has given us an outlet to news and inside program access that was not available 10-15 years ago.

No. He aggregated the info from other sources and reported it as his own. How's that impact a fan base one way or the other?

Curious - what's your age? I do notice the older generation LOVES Jones because his aggregating info made it easier for older people to get info. That info was available and generated elsewhere. But older people didn't have the capability to get it. So they all just assumed he's some sort of wizard

It appears as if this board has broken into two camps:

1) people that value honesty and fair play.
2) and people that think that dishonesty and theft are ok as long as "everyone else" is doing it.

We live in a world of situational ethics, where terrible behavior is acceptable, as long as it benefits the right people. I wonder if Jones' defenders would be as eager to take his side if he stole information from them?
world-upside-down.jpg

I promise not one person in this thread criticizing Matt gives one sh!t about the account sharing. It’s the fact that he has criticized numerous posters from this site on his blog and on air, stolen info over the years (especially at the beginning) from here as well as other sites and posted it as his own. No matter what facts are provided, he and his followers seem to always play the victim card. And after everything he still finds it necessary to have a secret subscription to this site for himself and all of his employees?

Listen, I don’t hate the guy. I even have the KSR app on my phone and enjoy getting the breaking news alerts from it, but I also know the backstory from him and this site. If he wanted to subscribe here and openly post as Matt Jones, I would welcome him. I just think it’s hypocritical for him to put this site down as well as posters and act as if hes never taken info from here and used it as his own, but still finds the need to have a secret subscription to this site.

It’s getting played out watching everyone on this board get triggered by Matt Jones. Seriously, a 7 page thread?

1. He has a great, entertaining show that is light years ahead of any other boring UK program.

2. Acting like the morality police over Matt sharing a subscription with other members of his company in order to do their job is absurd.

3. Most of people who hate him are jealous that he has any UK fan’s dream job, and does it better than the rest of the Kentucky media

4. The remaining haters don’t like him just because of his political views.

It’s getting played out watching everyone on this board get triggered by Matt Jones. Seriously, a 7 page thread?

1. He has a great, entertaining show that is light years ahead of any other boring UK program.

2. Acting like the morality police over Matt sharing a subscription with other members of his company in order to do their job is absurd.

3. Most of people who hate him are jealous that he has any UK fan’s dream job, and does it better than the rest of the Kentucky media

If a serious discussion about stealing others info is "triggered" then I guess I am lol. Echoing what others said if it was your info or property that was stolen you might have a different take.

Take a break for a little bit, Ryan

Do you live in Ohio? Just curious because I live in Dover, Ohio 20 miles south of Canton, Ohio.

I've got family in Bucyrus and Marion, and a few cousins who moved down to Columbus. Not a whole lot to the Crawford County area but miles and miles of cornfields. I'm headed up there on Wednesday for a few days. My family up there are all huge Ohio State fans, so my brother, my dad and I make it a point to wear our UK blue while stuck in the heart of Buckeye country.

I'm just thankful for the fact that my dad went to college in Kentucky and met my mom who's from the Lexington area, which is where I grew up.

Reactions: nssdigitalchumps
Rivals is owned by Yahoo doing business under Oath inc which is a subsidiary of Verizon Communications, a $126 Billion Dollar Company.

Deep enough pockets to crush Matt Jones for theft of intellectual property...if that’s something they actually wanted to pursue.

Reactions: anon_9qtxg60vqzy0y
This idea of stealing information seems strange. If there is info that truly is premium stuff what good is it, if it's not released for public consumption. Whoever is the best at providing the public with that premium information should be rewarded. Whoever had the information and did not market it or publish it, well that is their fault.

If a serious discussion about stealing others info is "triggered" then I guess I am lol. Echoing what others said if it was your info or property that was stolen you might have a different take.
How did he steal from you? Did he hack your account? Break into your house?

Exactly both sites want to be the first to post info on recrtuits or happenings around the program. The thing is, Rivals posts that as premium info.

Like for example Rivals PAYs to send a writer/photographer to interview and watch McDaniels. Rivals posts it as premium content.

Someone with an account at rivals and a website or radio show then posts/says ok after the break we have some info on McDaniels that you wont want to miss.

That's not cool and really could be grounds for a lawsuit IMHO

I'm going to guess that taking this to social media could potentially cause a law suit also. Hopefully not on that will be pursued but that was not smart by Rowland.

Reactions: UK-chulo
This idea of stealing information seems strange. If there is info that truly is premium stuff what good is it, if it's not released for public consumption. Whoever is the best at providing the public with that premium information should be rewarded. Whoever had the information and did not market it or publish it, well that is their fault.

I would imagine there is something in Rival’s terms and conditions about taking premium information and using it for commercial purposes. I don’t know, but that would make sense.

Rivals wants people to buy the premium content. They want people to talk about it. They want the conversation to motivate more people to subscribe. Whether or not that’s the most profitable model in this day and age is worthy of debate.

But things could get sticky for a commercial enterprise if there can be shown a clear trail between the publishing of premium content, and the use of that content by said commercial enterprise for commercial purposes.

Right or wrong, black, white, gray. Whatever. It isn’t a fight that a relatively small sports blog from Kentucky wants to be having with Verizon. I wouldn’t think so, anyway.

Will anything actually come of this? Who knows? Maybe just 8 more pages of free advertising. Calculated risk, I suppose.

Good on MJ. The idea of premium information is a joke.

If I was stupid enough to pay to use a message board I'd share the account with all of you for the aforementioned, highly coveted, premium information.

I couldn't agree more. I used to be a HOB member but it made no sense. If info on there is truly that important and turns out to be true I only have to wait about 24-48 hours max before it is national news. If it's not true or not important it doesn't matter anyway.

I just love the way posters use the words "hater" and "jealous" to defend someone when there is no real defense so they just slam other posters with pejorative words.

It was Kentucky sports report which was the biggest board at the time. Maybe the only board. Jones ran off and started ksr to steal their web traffic (since both had the acronym ksr).

So his entire business was built on stealing info and then web traffic

That's 100% true. That's entirely how he started.

No. He aggregated the info from other sources and reported it as his own. How's that impact a fan base one way or the other?

Curious - what's your age? I do notice the older generation LOVES Jones because his aggregating info made it easier for older people to get info. That info was available and generated elsewhere. But older people didn't have the capability to get it. So they all just assumed he's some sort of wizard

It is very easy to see how Jones and his crew packaged and marketed information founded on the work and dimes of legit news sources and premium sports websites. It was a clever platform. Early, I think many fans just liked being able to go to one place for their BBN news. Without those others sources, Matt did not seem to have much to offer, other than the sparkles and bows he and his crew offered. He has, however, personally parlayed that into a foundation for actual sourced info. I don’t know that he now needs those others, at least not as much, but I don’t think he could have built his house without them.

I have to shake my head in bewilderment at some of the responses to the critics of Matt Jones. Here are two I see posted repeatedly:

1. Critics are jealous because Matt has a job they covet? Really, an 8 page thread is spawned with complaints about Matt Jones merely because people are jealous? Poppycock! Were these same fans “jealous” of Cawood Ledford? Do these same fans strike out at Tom Leach because they are jealous that he is “The Voice of the Wildcats”? Did the same fans blast Oscar Combs because they were jealous he created and was uber successful with the Catspause?

2. Does Matt Jones generate such surprising and significant backlash from some Kentucky fans because of his political views? No. While there may be a few UK fans in this category, the majority of UK fans care more about the success of UK than they do about their politics. Hell, in the last Presidential election only 25% of the people eligible to vote actually voted. UK fans aren’t going to come running to a Kentucky sports message board on Christmas Eve to vent their beef with Matt Jones because they disagree with his political views. If anything, support for UK sports is one interest where Kentucky fans from all political affiliations share a common bond.

If I were Matt Jones I would want to know why so many people in the most passionate fan base in the United States have such a negative attitude towards me. I would want to know what I’m doing that p__es off so many fans when it’s in my best interest to cultivate their interest in my business endeavors. Matt Jones should want to be held in the same esteem by UK fans as Caywood, Tom and Oscar.

Instead of trying to resolve a festering public relations problem that cuts against his best business interest, Matt chooses instead to be petulant, hyper defensive and arrogant. For someone who often boasts of his Duke Law School pedigree, his response seems plain stupid to me.

Last edited:
It is very easy to see how Jones and his crew packaged and marketed information founded on the work and dimes of legit news sources and premium sports websites. It was a clever platform. Early, I think many fans just liked being able to go to one place for their BBN news. Without those others sources, Matt did not seem to have much to offer, other than the sparkles and bows he and his crew offered. He has, however, personally parlayed that into a foundation for actual sourced info. I don’t know that he now needs those others, at least not as much, but I don’t think he could have built his house without them.

I agree although I think his level of basketball info clearly slipped in the last few years. Which is one reason I was surprised he admitted to this so freely.

His football info is way better than basketball nowadays.

Oddly enough, his Louisville info is the best of all

I've got family in Bucyrus and Marion, and a few cousins who moved down to Columbus. Not a whole lot to the Crawford County area but miles and miles of cornfields. I'm headed up there on Wednesday for a few days. My family up there are all huge Ohio State fans, so my brother, my dad and I make it a point to wear our UK blue while stuck in the heart of Buckeye country.

I'm just thankful for the fact that my dad went to college in Kentucky and met my mom who's from the Lexington area, which is where I grew up.
I'm retired from The Timken Co. who had a plant in Bucyrus.
We called it Buckyrus .

How did he steal from you? Did he hack your account? Break into your house?

His site used some of my photos without credit. They didnt link to my site or anything. When I kindly asked them to credit me, they erased my comments and beisner told me I was being a B****. This was YEARS ago and I have refrained from posting in most all of the matt jones or marc maggard threads. But I can certainly relate to this thread and I was sharing my experience.

Unless thee is more information, I do not see the issue that many on here seem to see clearly. What I am reading is that MJ has his account with Rivals. He also has a KSR account that can be used by the handful of employees at KSR. If rules specifically point out that a business membership can only be used by one person, then obviously he is in violation of that rule. If not, no big deal. I read KSR most days and come here to see what is on RR. Many of the posts here are started using information from KSR. I am saying this and I don't have a preference toward either site. To me , they are opportunities to gain information.

Jones' practices have always leaned toward the shady side. I remember back in his early days he used to regularly get caught lifting material from posts on this board and other UK sites and passing it off as his own original thoughts or inside scoop.

I even recall one time when someone (I believe Maggard?) intentionally posted fake info as bait to see if Jones would lift it and ...yep, sure enough.

Last edited:
Around Christmas
Jones' practices have always leaned toward the shady side. I recall back in his early days he used to regularly get caught lifting material from posts on this board or other UK sites and passing it off as his own original thoughts or inside scoop.

I even seem to recall one time when someone (maybe Maggard?) intentionally posted some fake info as bait just to see if Jones would lift it and ...yep, sure enough.

I remember that, but I believe it's the butt of jokes now from KSR followers. I could never understand why, as it seems like it's an incredible amount of deflection from the crux of the issue.

I partially agree. Matt has an awesome ability to grab your attention. He has great energy and can be funny. Combine that with others pictures and premium content and you just might have a million dollar business. While the folks at rivals and the independent photographers in the business starve.

here was my original comment I assumed (and wrongly) I guessed that you was responding to me. If you think I have multiple accounts then ok whatever makes you feel better. I think we just have a miscommunication though.

here was my original comment I assumed (and wrongly) I guessed that you was responding to me. If you think I have multiple accounts then ok whatever makes you feel better. I think we just have a miscommunication though.

Got it. You have to admit it was funny though.

lol it was funny. Besides I have the most badass username on the board and the few posts I do make are getting this thing seen. Happy holidays to all of you guys/gals.

Yes it’s patently obvious that KSR’s “writers” when they can’t come up with new or original content to feed the site come to this message board and take threads/discussions and copy them onto their site almost always without citing the proper source or poster and hiding under the umbrella of “it’s general UK news everybody is talking about it’s fair game.”....if you are PAID to write for something even just a sports blog then create your own content and stop being intellectually dishonest and stealing other people’s thoughts.

it doesn't really bother me though - I'm glad they take topics and push them. I think it makes for better discussion.

Paid or not paid, I'm not sure I object to finding out what people are talking about and then making that a blog post. Its probably reaches a different audience and they have multiple platforms to get that message out.

Reactions: Vandalayindustries
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT