ADVERTISEMENT

Keshad Johnson visiting Kentucky today

WTH is Cal at the NBA combine? Let the kids who want to leave UK do so on their own time, find their own way into the draft? We have what, SEVEN scholarship players?
He will be next week and it's smart to be there. You can recruit guys who are there but also in the NCAA Portal. So in addition to checking on how your own guys are doing, you will know who is officially in the portal at the combine, know that others can't enter, and move forward finishing up the '24 roster.

Last edited:
WTH is Cal at the NBA combine? Let the kids who want to leave UK do so on their own time, find their own way into the draft? We have what, SEVEN scholarship players?
I’m getting a sick feeling it’s going to be a long haul until next May and it’s going to be an ugly divorce.

I hope to be wrong.

Reactions: NociHTTP
He will be next week and it's smart to be there. You can recruit guys who are there but also in the NCAA Portal. So in addition to checking on how your own guys are doing, you will know who is officially in the combine, know that others can't enter, and move forward finishing up the '24 roster.
It's what a smart coach would do and other high profile coahces are doing as well. It's why some on here who are criticizing the coach are not coaches themselves...

He will be next week and it's smart to be there. You can recruit guys who are there but also in the NCAA Portal. So in addition to checking on how your own guys are doing, you will know who is officially in the portal at the combine, know that others can't enter, and move forward finishing up the '24 roster.
I don't have the faith that Cal has much intention in building the 24 roster while at the NBA combine. He's simply too enamored with Draft Night. Is Self and the other coaches at the combine, too?

I don't have the faith that Cal has much intention in building the 24 roster while at the NBA combine. He's simply too enamored with Draft Night. Is Self and the other coaches at the combine, too?
I'm sure they'll all be there and with different intent. The coaches who still have rosters to fill will be there recruiting as well as trying to gauge whether their own guys are staying in/leaving. Best part of this event is the NBA runs it and every team is there-so the College Coach, player and NBA teams can speak and there's no "he said, they said" crap.

Maybe trying to find out IF they are indeed leaving or not.
Also, it is probably a good PR thing to show the future players, that you support them even if/after they leave.

People on here that are not coaches probably chose not to be. You don’t have to be a coach to know something about basketball. The statement above is just pretty silly.
I think it's more about the posters on here who choose to criticize Cal no matter what, especially about situations they have absolutely no knowledge about - whether they chose to be a coach or not.

As bad as our team was last year on the defensive end I would love to get this guy. Not everyone that is brought in has to be an offensive juggernaut. A player as defensive minded as this guy would be a welcome addition. Also, while not a tremendous 3-pt shooter, he has shot the 2 at around 60%. Kentucky can use a guy that shoots it well from there in part because Calipari loves those guys. He'd fit in with what UK is trying to do offensively(the discussion of if you are in favor of that is a whole different story).

Probably getting a gauge on what Livingston, Oscar, and Reeves are hearing and what they plan to do, as well as maybe talk to some 50/50 guys about transferring if they stay out of the draft.

As bad as our team was last year on the defensive end I would love to get this guy. Not everyone that is brought in has to be an offensive juggernaut. A player as defensive minded as this guy would be a welcome addition. Also, while not a tremendous 3-pt shooter, he has shot the 2 at around 60%. Kentucky can use a guy that shoots it well from there in part because Calipari loves those guys. He'd fit in with what UK is trying to do offensively(the discussion of if you are in favor of that is a whole different story).
I agree 100%, a lot like Liggins. He was super helpful on that 2011 team with his versatility defensively .

Reactions: ukfan041
Self was at the combine last year to support his players there. Sure he will be again

If Cal wont talk nil with these guys how are we to going to land anyone. Then you see Hunter saying Kansas pays great.
Maybe if Cal wasn't hell bent on pushing guys out for his own NBA draft night legacy, and instead focused on creating a program that guys want to play for, then we wouldn't be in this position would we?

I okay with taking this guy as long as Cal gets another shooter. Even if Reeves comes back, we still need another proven shooter.
If Reeves comes back we have Shep, Dilly, Wagner, Reeves and Edwards. None of them is Devin Booker but they can all hurt you from the perimeter. Even Bradshaw can make mid-range shots.
I'm not sure how another shooter even gets on the floor. Fredrick saw that and left.

Reactions: University-6
It's been a day since the visit and he's not a Cat. Wonder if Cal backed off or he thinks Kentucky isn't for him?

ccc probably still checking with Bradshaw to see if he can get permission to bring him to Lexington
This is stupid, because you can't play a season with 2 TWO players on the entire roster who can play 2 of the 5 positions. Bradshaw and Onyenso ain't playing 40mpg.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT