ADVERTISEMENT

***Kentucky vs Kansas Official Game Thread**

Not time to relax yet, as I wouldn’t be surprised to see a less sloppy version of Kansas in the second half. I absolutely love the fight our guys are showing so far though! Win or lose, this will be something to build on for our young team, but hopefully we can finish this off.
If we don’t back off and keep pushing tempo then I think they’ll still be sloppy. It’s hard to match the amount of speed we have at every position and average guards (what 90% of teams have other than maybe 1 guard) hate feeling sped up….even more so for forwards and bigs.

Just have to gang rebound and keep applying intensity and offensive pressure. You don’t have to be lock down defensively if you can score fast and often. It’s defense through the offense bc most teams don’t have the overall firepower to keep up over 40 minutes so you ultimately need less stops. No different than the 90mph spread no huddle offenses in football except in football if the other team can extend drives on offense and get off the field on D they still get to rest and have control. In basketball it’s possession for possession so it’s even more dangerous.

Reactions: entropy13
100% this ^^^ ... he's human.
It's always funny to me how much of this board doesn't get that. People claiming Cal benched Dilly after his run when he was clearly gassed and needed a breather. Dilly obviously didn't do what Cal told him and got a talking to on the bench because of it.

Cal needs to be the coach and tell players their roles and make them play within that role for the betterment of the TEAM. This is something he has refused to do for YEARS. Wagner is a driver, his perimeter shot isn’t there yet. Adou is a garbage man. Rebound, drive, and put backs is his strengths.
Please don’t let Wagner shoot us out of this season
And it seems like Reeves chokes on the big stage. I hope he proves me wrong in the second half. Edwards is weak and timid.

Reactions: entropy13
Edwards just needs to slow the game down and he's a difference maker for us when he gets comfortable

Need Dilly, Reeves, and Shep starting this 2nd half. If we can keep the rest of the Jayhawks in check (except HD) i think we will look good

Reactions: Farsight
We gotta get him going. Have to. But again, it doesn't have to be tonight.
Exactly. He went a half missing everything including a FT. Not your night son. Focus on driving, layups, defense, setting up your teammates. Get back to the gym and sure up the shot later. He had 3 bad shots early in the clock that given to someone else might have had the lead closer to 14-15.

Reactions: RunninRichie
I know his shot looks bad- and it’s not going in but I’ll still ask- is there any hope that he has some form?

Already said Edwards needs to pull his head outta his ass. Add Wagner to that list as well. We’ve got to get something from these guys.
Edwards is struggling because they're forcing him to his left, and he has a slow release. Smart defense. DJ they're leaving him wide open because he can't shoot.

Dilly has to start. Has to. And Sheppard has to see more minutes than Wagner. Wagner can’t shoot. Sheppard does everything well. This is a no-brainer Cal, don’t f*#k it up. You have a title team this year. Play your best players.
But Wagner is our best defender and best traditional point. Wagner just needs to focus on driving more, which he is very good at and lay off the threes. All three are good; it's a good problem to have and all will see plenty of minutes.

That’s fine. With his pedigree no doubt he can handle some time on the bench to stop taking bad shots. It would happen to others. Teaching moment.
I agree bench him if this continues but he should get more than one game before he gets removed the starting 5. He was good in Canada.

We gotta get him going. Have to. But again, it doesn't have to be tonight.
We need to keep feeding the hot hand. This isn't about getting Wagner going. This team needs to take what the game is giving them and not worry about individual players. If we are worried about individual players, we should be focusing on Reeves before Wagner.

Self is gonna attack the post every possesion in the second half and he will throw some junk ass defense out to try and slow Kentucky down

What the hell is was the excuse for taking Delly out to put Wagner in the game. He has given us nothing Delly turned the ball over attempting make something happen for a teammate. Wagner jack up an early 3 and Cal claps for him. What the hell?

Oh. Is an 18 year old tired after 3 minutes of high energy play? I recall running wind sprints for much longer than 3 minutes.

Cal should have never pulled him until he missed or made a stupid forced play. Or if he asked for a sub out.

I often disagree with Cal’s coaching, but I actually thought it was the right decision.

Dilly had picked up a second foul, and the team was still up big. As well as he’s playing, he was more important to save for the second half.

Reactions: CatsDomain
An argument can be made to stick with what's working even when Bradshaw, Ugonna and Zvon get healthy. The chemistry is good, the speed is fast paste but the rebounding suffers some.

What are the odds Cal starts the best 5 from the first half? I'm sure he will mess us up trying to get Edwards and Wagner going. Needs to be:

Sheppard
Dillingham
Adou
Burks/Reeves
Mitchell

Reeves is the better shooter but we had some magic out there when Mitchell drew the double, passed to Burks, and when help came he passed to the wide open shooter for 2 straight 3's.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT