ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky-Louisville Game Thread

Sam Mahar....

Henderson has single-handily blown the regional.

First by "saving" Reed
Then by "saving" Strecker

By the way... why does Henderson keep going to Barrett? He is hitting .255 on the season and he was facing a lefty. We have 3 guys who are hitting over .350. Yet we just ignore them and their success, albeit in limited plate appearances (right around 25 appearances).

Reed has got to develop the ability to slap a ball to the left side of the infield. Even just freaking bunt the ball there and you are on base all day.

I'm sure Mitch is drawing up another extension for ol Gary for winning 2 games.

Cousy and A J have just mailed it in, they have not done anything at all in this game. Agree about Barrett, you have Arnold and Hairston who have high batting avgs. and are both RH hitters.

Reed has done nothing at the plate this regional. Just nothing and it really killed us today. Like I said, you have to develop the ability to just get the ball on the left side towards third base if they are going to play you that far to the right side.

Originally posted by TCPUKChamps:
It is probably already drawn up. He probably thinks this was an amazing year. It was subpar at best. Louisville might punch themselves another ticket to the CWS being able to play a super regional at home.

I am glad Thomas threw that guy out at second because I think he was definitely out at first despite the poor throw by Heady.

Originally posted by Comebakatz3:
This thing is over... it was over the moment Mahar came into the game. He has only come into the game twice this year and pitched a scoreless inning and has an 8.22 ERA. I know we don't have a ton of options but we still had Combs and Strecker. Mahar was a terrible decision.
Hendo keeps them coming CB3
rolleyes.r191677.gif

Reed has done nothing at the plate this regional. Just nothing and it really killed us today. Like I said, you have to develop the ability to just get the ball on the left side towards third base if they are going to play you that far to the right side.
Absolutely. He can't just reward them for it when they play the shift. Surely they work on going oppo in college.

It is probably already drawn up. He probably thinks this was an amazing year. It was subpar at best. Louisville might punch themselves another ticket to the CWS being able to play a super regional at home.

I am glad Thomas threw that guy out at second because I think he was definitely out at first despite the poor throw by Heady.
Actually think the 1B Ump got that one right. AJ let the ball come to him.

Originally posted by rod_card:
It's illegal to slam-collide high in college. Hence the ejection.

This post was edited on 6/1 11:23 PM by rod_card
Yes ...Really fair rule...you can try and ruin a guys career by taking out his knees , but it's not ok to just barrel over a guy...It's still a classless thing to do...Just what you would expect playing this bunch

Actually think the 1B Ump got that one right. AJ let the ball come to him.
I watched the replay multiple times. Looked to me like the foot was still over the bag when the ball snapped AJs glove back.

Burdi struggling to throw strikes... got a runner in scoring position! Would love to get a couple more on and really put the pressure on them!

Originally posted by rod_card:
It's illegal to slam-collide high in college. Hence the ejection.

This post was edited on 6/1 11:23 PM by rod_card
As opposed to having Chickensh$$ slide that could have ruined a kids career...Typical of you punks at Eastern Parkway University...

Now Henderson goes to Hairston, against a pitcher who throws faster than Hairston has probably ever seen in his entire life. Just brilliant.

Well... somewhat of a good season for us I guess. Nice to play in the post season again. Pitiful regional though.

Another bullshit season over.

But hey, they won 2 games in a regional so I'm sure Hendo will be brought back.

Oh well

Originally posted by Dallas-Wild:
Salow should have not been pulled, he was pitching tough.
Henderson is a Billy Clyde on the baseball field...But at UK you get what you pay and settle for...The way UK administration has been for years...My guess is that Henderson gets another extension out of this...

Oh well
We wind up 37-25, get to another regional final. Hendo will get a raise, and a 2 year extension. Oh well, we won 2 more NCAA games than Florida did, and won as many as South Carolina. Just felt like this was our chance to get to our 1st Super regional. Thanks to the seniors, and A J, and Cousy for their service to UK.
Maybe we can build on this season, and get back into the NCAA's next year !

Originally posted by CloverforkCat:

Oh well
We wind up 37-25, get to another regional final. Hendo will get a raise, and a 2 year extension. Oh well, we won 2 more NCAA games than Florida did, and won as many as South Carolina. Just felt like this was our chance to get to our 1st Super regional. Thanks to the seniors, and A J, and Cousy for their service to UK.
This baseball program has seen its limits as long as the current coaching staff is in place...Put out some money and go get Green and at the same presser announce funding for a new baseball facility...This is beyond pitiful!!!

Oh well
I don't like our chances. Typically going into the next season you can at least point to one guy who is going to be your go to pitcher. After this season... I don't know who the hell that is going to be. Shepherd and Cody can both step up and be that guy, but they have to do it. Nelson can be a solid third guy, or even Brown, but they have to grow up and it often seems that most of our players regress in their second season rather than improve. So, I am not sold on the idea of them getting a whole lot better. Plus.. the bullpen needs more help than it is possible to give.

Then without Reed... well... we saw what happened tonight when Cousino and Reed didn't hit. It was pretty much nothing. Next year we have to replace those two, as well as Micheal Thomas (.316), and possibly even Max Kuhn (.328). That is a ton of production gone. Then we also have to find another third baseman and I don't really know of one waiting in the wings if Kuhn heads out.

It could be a very ugly season next year and I think that Barnhart needs to take that into account when looking at Henderson's contract. Subtract two years and we're 114-106 (52%), and in every year but one we've not finished in the top half of the SEC East. Again... compare that to McDonnell and Henderson looks extremely bad.

Sam Mahar....

First by "saving" Reed
Absolutely true...But you watch he will get a pat on the back and $$$$ added to his paycheck along with an extension...UK is the only sec school that would tolerate this!!!

Originally posted by sluggercatfan:

Oh well
This baseball program has seen its limits as long as the current coaching staff is in place...Put out some money and go get Green and at the same presser announce funding for a new baseball facility...This is beyond pitiful!!!
Wasn't money put aside to build a new baseball stadium when we got the money for the football upgrades?

Henderson signed a 5 year 2.1 million dollar contract in 2012. I highly doubt there is any way that Barnhart will let him go before that damn contract expires. We'll be lucky if he just doesn't get an extension this year. However, I agree that we need to go somewhere new. Don't know that Green is the answer, but somewhere would be great. Hell... spend a ton of money on the Indiana head coach, he has done amazing. He is from Indiana so he might not come here, but it is worth a shot.

Sam Mahar....

First by "saving" Reed
Absolutely true...But you watch he will get a pat on the back and $$$$ added to his paycheck along with an extension...UK is the only sec school that would tolerate this!!!
David Perno was a pretty well respected coach at Georgia. Went to the college world series 3 times in 12 years and once finished as runner up. His record was just a bit worse than Henderson's. Despite the post season success, including going to the NCAA regionals 5 of those 12 years, he got canned last year. Know who UGA hired? Scott Stricklin from Kent State. The same Kent State that knocked out happy butts out of the 2012 regional. They saw the writing on the wall with Perno and canned him and then found a good replacement. UK sits on its hands. Hell Polk had just one bad year with MSU, the year after going to the CWS, and the Bulldogs pushed him out the door and brought in Cohen in 2008.

By the way, without 2012 and 2014 Henderson would be 44-76 (37%) in the SEC. Just stare at that number for a minute.

Oh well
I don't like our chances. Typically going into the next season you can at least point to one guy who is going to be your go to pitcher. After this season... I don't know who the hell that is going to be. Shepherd and Cody can both step up and be that guy, but they have to do it. Nelson can be a solid third guy, or even Brown, but they have to grow up and it often seems that most of our players regress in their second season rather than improve. So, I am not sold on the idea of them getting a whole lot better. Plus.. the bullpen needs more help than it is possible to give.

Then without Reed... well... we saw what happened tonight when Cousino and Reed didn't hit. It was pretty much nothing. Next year we have to replace those two, as well as Micheal Thomas (.316), and possibly even Max Kuhn (.328). That is a ton of production gone. Then we also have to find another third baseman and I don't really know of one waiting in the wings if Kuhn heads out.

It could be a very ugly season next year and I think that Barnhart needs to take that into account when looking at Henderson's contract. Subtract two years and we're 114-106[/URL] (52%), and in every year but one we've not finished in the top half of the SEC East. Again... compare that to McDonnell and Henderson looks extremely bad.

Have to agree. Sure appears that UK is set to take a big step back next season, particularly if Kuhn and Shepherd both come out as has been speculated. When you look objectively at the roster and who can play in the SEC, there just aren't a lot of sure-fire guys. Cody had a rough season. Re pitchers, Nelson was solid at times, but doesn't get particularly deep and isn't overpowering. Jack was most consistent guy out of the pen but didn't set the world on fire. Dwyer was solid at times and struggled others. Brown improved late, but not sure if he's weekend caliber. Salow improved late. Combs hasn't fared too well unfortunately. Like you say, there's just not a clearcut Friday night sort of guy on the roster. Tom is very good. I love the way Storm Wilson battles at the plate and he has some speed for the OF. Barrett and Carson give you a couple of decent options in the OF. Shelby has a chance to be good if he continues to develop. Bernal is solid. Heady needs to add strength and work on his hitting a lot. No third baseman option if Kuhn comes out. not sure who the C will play (I fought Thomas's emergence was a big part of UK's success this year). Sure looks like they'll take a big step back offensively next year, at the very least.

Either Fettes or Arnold will have to step up at catcher. Might split them some considering Arnold is not a power guy and Fettes probably is more likely to be that.

Either Fettes or Arnold will have to step up at catcher. Might split them some considering Arnold is not a power guy and Fettes probably is more likely to be that.
I think we can sit here and banter back and forth , but I think we are all in agreement that we need a new dynamic leader at the helm next season...

I think we can sit here and banter back and forth , but I think we are all in agreement that we need a new dynamic leader at the helm next season...
Without a doubt. Henderson has done some good things and that is basically to keep Brad Bohannon around to recruit. Outside of that I'm unimpressed.

^ With UK making the regional finals, i just can't see there being a change at the helm, particularly when historically speaking, UK has never made it any farther in the NCAA tournament and they had a solid season overall. Just not Barnhart's MO.

That being said, I think it's good that some fans, at least the few of us on these boards, are expecting more out of this baseball program. I think doing what they can to catch up to UofL and the SEC in baseball should be priority #2 for the athletics department behind bringing football back to respectability. Cal has basketball on cruise control at the moment. UofL will now go to their 4th(!) Super Regional in the last years, so UK SID, spare us stats re UK wins in midweek games versus the Cards. Baseball is the second most popular sport at some SEC schools and it's growing in popularity. If I recall correctly, UK is the only SEC program to never make a CWS. It's stadium doesn't compare to most others in the conference. They're now stuck playing catch up to their arch rival and the most of the rest of the conference in facilities and performance. We dont want to hear excuses, just want to see them break through and find a way to get it done.

The official UK Baseball twitter account is touting this season as the sixth most wins in the history of the program tonight....Sorry guys, just think some are setting themselves up for failure if you want to see UK go in another direction. Just can't imagine that happening. Mitch will tweet something tomorrow noting disappointment with ending to a good season while being proud of the kids for fighting back.

That said, before i forget, What about our third base coach? How many times can he send a guy to get nailed by 3++ steps at the plate?

Gary Henderson on how UK can get to the next level (now 0-8 in regionals all-time): "You got to win the first game."

Funny to hear him say that considering he didn't start the National POY in the first game.

Originally posted by DubyaT:
^ With UK making the regional finals, i just can't see there being a change at the helm, particularly when historically speaking, UK has never made it any farther in the NCAA tournament and they had a solid season overall. Just not Barnhart's MO.

That being said, I think it's good that some fans, at least the few of us on these boards, are expecting more out of this baseball program. I think doing what they can to catch up to UofL and the SEC in baseball should be priority #2 for the athletics department behind bringing football back to respectability. Cal has basketball on cruise control at the moment. UofL will now go to their 4th(!) Super Regional in the last years, so UK SID, spare us stats re UK wins in midweek games versus the Cards. Baseball is the second most popular sport at some SEC schools and it's growing in popularity. If I recall correctly, UK is the only SEC program to never make a CWS. It's stadium doesn't compare to most others in the conference. They're now stuck playing catch up to their arch rival and the most of the rest of the conference in facilities and performance. We dont want to hear excuses, just want to see them break through and find a way to get it done.
DibyaT...Last two post are spot on about the baseball program and where we are...The problem is that the administration could $$$$$ boosters could care less...Sad statement...

Gary Henderson on how UK can get to the next level (now 0-8 in regionals all-time): "You got to win the first game."

Funny to hear him say that considering he didn't start the National POY in the first game.
This would almost be funny if it wasn't so pitiful...

Sam Mahar....

First by "saving" Reed
David Perno was a pretty well respected coach at Georgia. Went to the college world series 3 times in 12 years and once finished as runner up. His record was just a bit worse than Henderson's. Despite the post season success, including going to the NCAA regionals 5 of those 12 years, he got canned last year. Know who UGA hired? Scott Stricklin from Kent State. The same Kent State that knocked out happy butts out of the 2012 regional. They saw the writing on the wall with Perno and canned him and then found a good replacement. UK sits on its hands. Hell Polk had just one bad year with MSU, the year after going to the CWS, and the Bulldogs pushed him out the door and brought in Cohen in 2008.

By the way, without 2012 and 2014 Henderson would be 44-76 (37%) in the SEC. Just stare at that number for a minute.
Even this year we were < .500 and the no. 9 seed in the SEC. And this was a stellar year by Henderson standards. We won't ever get any farther until a change is made.

If Kuhn leaves, the best option would be to move Bernal to 3rd, and let Arnold and Fettes do like Luke Maile and Michael Williams did in 2012, alternate between C and 1st base. That would give us 3 RH bats, to go along with lefties Tom, Wilson, Barrett, Carson etc.
As far as starting pitching, I am encouraged by Brown and Salow, a lefty, righty combo, and then you have Shepherd, Nelson, Dwyer in the mix. Jack was solid in his 1st season with us, and Strecker and Martin look promising. On the other side Mahar, and Combs probably need to look to transfer. Another possibility for next season who could help in some capacity, is Logan Parrott, who can pitch, and also was an outstanding position infielder in HS.
I have looked at our incoming class on Perfect game web site, not the class we have been used to bringing in. Loaded heavily with pitchers, the best of which is actually from Canada, along with a P/SS from Georgia.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT