ADVERTISEMENT

Kentucky is so far away

But is there a clear cut replacement? I mean you fire cal you better have Nate oates wrapped up without a doubt. I don’t think anyone else is capable in college basketball currently
Pffffft. All the while Dan Hurley just beat Illinois by 25.

And Oats is down to freaking Clemson right now. Clemson lost to UofL.

Reactions: Blue Bigfoot
This right here was hoping SMU but if they take USC’s coach hopefully USC comes with a strong @$$ offer…
SMU would be a perfect fit for Cal. Rich, affluent campus. Affluent donors. Could draw talent there and be like his UMass days, never being a real threat to a major program except every couple of years. Lower standards. A fan base that would appreciate what he could bring talent wise while not expecting too much on the court (not saying we do....we're Kentucky damn it).

Be nice if he would just mosey along somewhere else. No hard feelings, thanks for the good times, shake hands.

Oh yeah oates is out of the picture because he’s down to Clemson
He was out of the picture because of his HORRIBLE PR last year. We don't need that crap at Kentucky. It was a media circus to begin with NATIONAL condemnation. And that was at Bama. IMAGINE what it would be like at the spotlight of UK.

And it's Oats man. If you're going to white knight for a guy, at least learn to spell his name.

Cal has done such a disservice to our program. I’m not as hard on Mitch as some people but allowing this mess deserves criticism. Hopefully Cal goes away after next season.
That is simply wishful thinking....he is not going to leave that much $$$ on the table. But then, he is merely the beneficiary of the contract. Barney is the one who gave him the contact so he could retire comfortably at UK's expense.

Cal just doesn't care. He's not getting fired. He knows it. Just coast along.

Hurley is wanting to dominate. Cal is wanting to pet his dogs.
This is the BIGGEST part of my angst and outright frustration with Cal. Before he arrived at UK, Cal had a HUGE chip on his shoulder because the national media and some coaches didn't give him the respect that HE thought he deserved. So he came into UK with the attitude that "I'm going to show EVERYONE what I can do at the premier college basketball school'!!!

But since he signed that HUGE contract and was voted into the HOF, he has LOST ALL of that fire to "Prove the world wrong". So complacency has set in.

What happened to the coach that came in with a DESIRE to catch UCLA, go 40-0, WIN at the highest level, WIN SEC Championships and THEN help his players reach their peak to make it at the next level, while ALSO instilling the UTMOST confidence in ALL of his players??!!!

Watching our team play these last 5 years ANYONE can see the ENORMOUS difference in the MOXY our players USED TO have compared with the "Deer in Headlights" demeanor they have over that time span.

It's SAD and pitiful as much as it is ANGER causing!! I never DREAMED that the coach UK Hired 15 years ago would become the FAILURE that he is now.

This is the BIGGEST part of my angst and outright frustration with Cal. Before he arrived at UK, Cal had a HUGE chip on his shoulder because the national media and some coaches didn't give him the respect that HE thought he deserved. So he came into UK with the attitude that "I'm going to show EVERYONE what I can do at the premier college basketball school'!!!

But since he signed that HUGE contract and was voted into the HOF, he has LOST ALL of that fire to "Prove the world wrong". So complacency has set in.

What happened to the coach that came in with a DESIRE to catch UCLA, go 40-0, WIN at the highest level, WIN SEC Championships and THEN help his players reach their peak to make it at the next level, while ALSO instilling the UTMOST confidence in ALL of his players??!!!

Watching our team play these last 5 years ANYONE can see the ENORMOUS difference in the MOXY our players USED TO have compared with the "Deer in Headlights" demeanor they have over that time span.

It's SAD and pitiful as much as it is ANGER causing!! I never DREAMED that the coach UK Hired 15 years ago would become the FAILURE that he is now.
I know and it makes no sense. He must be totally content or something changed. I believe it was Robic.

Reactions: ukfan041 and catben
Whether it’s this year, next year, or five years down the line you’re going to have to pay somebody’s buyout if you want to hire a coach worth having.
There are buyouts, and then there Buyouts. A four of five million buyout is one thing, but...

Oats is currently at 18M for the next two years. Hurley's starts at 10M depending. Few wouldn't leave to come here. Pearl is around 17M and he is something like the fifth highest paid coach around. Most are signed until 2030 with escalating costs.

Watching UCONN obliterate every team they play just makes me more depressed with the state of our program. 9 mil a year and we can't even get a fraction of that success.

Yep, watching them right now takes me back to our 90s complete dominance. Not just letting up on teams, just throttling them. We don't do that in the cow era. We pass out participation ribbons and talk about our feelings.

Reactions: ruppcat and JB_Cat
There are buyouts, and then there Buyouts. A four of five million buyout is one thing, but...

Oats is currently at 18M for the next two years. Hurley's starts at 10M depending. Few wouldn't leave to come here. Pearl is around 17M and he is something like the fifth highest paid coach around. Most are signed until 2030 with escalating costs.
It may not be cheap. All I’m saying is that if we want one of these top tier coaches the university will have to bite the bullet and pay it. Otherwise, we’re going to the lower ranks for someone like Pat Kelcy. That did, however, work pretty well for Alabama.

Mitch wants Cal gone
Mitch doesn't have the money to get rid of Cal

Mitch is not blameless in all of this but that said......

Mitch wouldn't care if you boo'd Calipari out of Rupp Arena every game.

But is there a clear cut replacement? I mean you fire cal you better have Nate oates wrapped up without a doubt. I don’t think anyone else is capable in college basketball currently
Interesting if this is your thoughts on KY basketball. Only one other coach could be more successful than cal has been? That’s your take? The kind of success we are getting under cal is equivalent to OVC type level teams. That’s the best we can hope for with anyone other than oats? It’s a wonder we even managed to have a basketball program before cal came along.

Reactions: know1 and TM2013
I think the pressure on Cal next season will be submarine hull crunching.

Not really. He’s convinced himself that he’s the sole reason all these mega talented guys have went onto have successful NBA careers. In his mind he’s a great human being for that. He doesn’t care about UK, the people of Kentucky, or winning championships. Just because he and Mitch do a couple photo ops isn’t going to change a thing. And he’s still getting paid no matter the results.

Reactions: FrankUnderwood2.0
Cal-Barney meeting post season is a nothing burger… Cal isn’t going to change… Getting a 1&D to NBA is easier than getting to FF and that’s what he’s all about here at UK. Barney can’t get rid him because of the money involved… It is what it is. You guys are not wrong. The guy can’t coach to Kentucky standards… He has gotten away with creating his own standard and Mitch has paid him handsomely for it. So they say all the right stuff/jizz on each other and hope upon hope they can make to 32 next year. Both are treating Kentuckians like we’re a bunch of rubes. We know a good coaching when we see it and this ain’t it. Not bad people just bad at what they get paid for.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT