ADVERTISEMENT

So is this really it?

LXWildcat

Sophomore
Nov 25, 2023
So if Cal has another season like this season or even worse than I’m assuming nothing will be done? Knowing that as a Kentucky fan is very disheartening.

When all these Cal lovers start complaining next season, I will be sitting back watching and just laughing.

Fool me once shame on you
Fool me twice shame on me

I wont be fooled again

Think about it, mitch made Cal the biggest fan of the basketball program by giving him the green light to a lifetime contract....Cal has replaced, your common fan at home watching the team barely win games this past season, as the official big boy fan of UK basketball.

No longer does the average UK fan have a voice, it's all been officially trumped by Cal.

As the college landscape changes, I bet you my jar of change, that UK basketball does not become relevant again.

Think about it, mitch made Cal the biggest fan of the basketball program by giving him the green light to a lifetime contract....Cal has replaced, your common fan at home watching the team barely win games this past season, as the official big boy fan of UK basketball.

No longer does the average UK fan have a voice, it's all been officially trumped by Cal.

As the college landscape changes, I bet you my jar of change, that UK basketball does not become relevant again.
I was very disconnected from Kentucky basketball this season because of Cal and I expect next season will be be worse for me. If Cal wins a championship I will gladly eat crow but I’m not holding my breath and neither is the majority of the fan base

Cal probably already knows he can't win again, he couldn't win it with the 38-1 team.........and he got lucky in 2012 with having a dominate post player and a great supporting cast. Im not saying he won't but man, he's missed the boat more times than not. And it really is a hard thing to do, most coaches don't get the opportunity to win it all.

So if Cal has another season like this season or even worse than I’m assuming nothing will be done? Knowing that as a Kentucky fan is very disheartening.

When all these Cal lovers start complaining next season, I will be sitting back watching and just laughing.

I wont be fooled again
UK will not get rid of Cal until that buyout drops below $20 million. That's 2 years away.

I tell you what, as a UK fan.

Our goals are unrealistic.

We should be happy that we have a program.

Thats all I got.

• Haha
Reactions: Ky grandpa
I was very disconnected from Kentucky basketball this season because of Cal and I expect next season will be be worse for me. If Cal wins a championship I will gladly eat crow but I’m not holding my breath and neither is the majority of the fan base
You were disconnected?!? Judging by the sheer number of thread topics you created this season, I'd say you must have a twisted sense of the term "disconnected".

Obviously there is a disconnect between the goals we as fans/alumni/Kentuckians have for the men's program and the goals the coach has and the goals the UK administration has.

I am biased as my job had very specific goals that we were evaluated on doing every year. First, we had a set of goals that were required, kind of the day to day things that were expected. Then we had the goals we were striving to meet. My opinion on the UK basketball goals for each interested party...

We as fans have a set: at a minimum - winning record; have a team we connect with; win majority of the big regular season games; compete for SEC regular season and tournament titles; Sweet 16...

Coach has a set: develop players for NBA; make those select players wealthy; bring fame/glory to himself/brand...

UK administration has a set: make money; no/little drama; look good to the "powers that be"; use UK basketball to further their agenda(s)...

Until the UK administration's goals are in line with the fans goals, then we fans should find something more constructive to do with our time, energy, and money then waste it on UK. I stopped buying my UK football season tickets in 2021; no longer associate with the UK Alumni program (even though I am a lifetime member as is my wife); no longer buy UK merch; no longer wear/use UK merch (what I still have is in a container in the attic); only watch UK sports for free if I watch at all.

I'll comeback as a fan and financial supporter when Capilouto, Barnhart, and Calipari are gone...

Obviously there is a disconnect between the goals we as fans/alumni/Kentuckians have for the men's program and the goals the coach has and the goals the UK administration has.

I am biased as my job had very specific goals that we were evaluated on doing every year. First, we had a set of goals that were required, kind of the day to day things that were expected. Then we had the goals we were striving to meet. My opinion on the UK basketball goals for each interested party...

We as fans have a set: at a minimum - winning record; have a team we connect with; win majority of the big regular season games; compete for SEC regular season and tournament titles; Sweet 16...

Coach has a set: develop players for NBA; make those select players wealthy; bring fame/glory to himself/brand...

UK administration has a set: make money; no/little drama; look good to the "powers that be"; use UK basketball to further their agenda(s)...

Until the UK administration's goals are in line with the fans goals, then we fans should find something more constructive to do with our time, energy, and money then waste it on UK. I stopped buying my UK football season tickets in 2021; no longer associate with the UK Alumni program (even though I am a lifetime member as is my wife); no longer buy UK merch; no longer wear/use UK merch (what I still have is in a container in the attic); only watch UK sports for free if I watch at all.

I'll comeback as a fan and financial supporter when Capilouto, Barnhart, and Calipari are gone...
Post of the year, sir.

It’s not unrealistic to ask a coach to care about winning. Win the SEC regular season, win the SEC tourney, win more than 1 game in March. Those goals are not unrealistic
He's not a UK fan, just another UKBB4EVER clone trying to lower expectations for UK.

Well I’m sad for you then. You missed a lot of fun this year.

I wont be fooled again
There will never be a year when Mitch can’t think to himself, “Well, if I can keep Cal just one more year I’ll save another six million dollars.” And I don’t see how there will ever be a year where “slam-dunk hires” will be “available“ with the old coach still in the seat, which seems to be the kind of coddling Mitch requires. This is what we’re up against.

I wont be fooled again
If the "Cal lovers" didn't stop by now, they'll never stop supporting him.

How can you look at this offseason so far and think if he has another disappointing season nothing will be done? He is gone if it happens again.

UK will not get rid of Cal until that buyout drops below $20 million. That's 2 years away.
It's not about money, it's about having viable option at coach, so if we are paying 33 million to get rid of a coach, we better have an homerun replacement. We don't want to go through this again in a few years.

Reactions: GoCats53
It's not about money, it's about having viable option at coach, so if we are paying 33 million to get rid of a coach, we better have an homerun replacement. We don't want to go through this again in a few years.
There's several good names they could get now.

Wright, Donovan, Stevens and Hurley are completely unrealistic hires. They aren't coming now or in the future.

The guys that are realistic like Drew, Oats, Musselman, Lloyd, Golden, Beard and so on would certainly entertain offers from UK. And several of them would jump on it now.

However, UK will not entertain any of them until Cal's buyout is below 20 million. They aren't going to punish the other sports by investing so much money in basketball coach buyouts and salaries.

Wright, Donovan, Stevens and Hurley are completely unrealistic hires. They aren't coming now or in the future.

The guys that are realistic like Drew, Oats, Musselman, Lloyd, Golden, Beard and so on would certainly entertain offers from UK. And several of them would jump on it now.

However, UK will not entertain any of them until Cal's buyout is below 20 million. They aren't going to punish the other sports by investing so much money in basketball coach buyouts and salaries.
Beard??? So it’s all about winning at any cost. He’ll no.

Realistically, you would still be rolling the dice for 33 million + paying all the Assistant coaching staff buyouts, and then add on the new coach and his staff contracts. Your looking at maybe a 50 million $ turn around in 1 year. Is any of those realistic possibilities worth that budget hit.

I wont be fooled again
No offense intended but it seems to be taking u longer to figure that out. We have been doing this for 5-6 years and nothing has changed. Mitch is still getting fooled. I admire your spunk and being able to hang in there. I am done hanging in there as long as this fraud is here.

Reactions: WildcatDJ
How can you look at this offseason so far and think if he has another disappointing season nothing will be done? He is gone if it happens again.
Based on what? The same thing was said this time last year, and that was with all the excitement of a 'Cal type of class' coming in. There's zero indication anything will be done based on next year's results.

I wont be fooled again
I could not be any less excited about an upcoming hoops season than I will be for the next one.

If the "Cal lovers" didn't stop by now, they'll never stop supporting him.
I wish Cal had resigned or had been shown the door. But apparently the big money boosters didn't want to pay the $33M. If only we had Mark Cuban! He did it for IU. But, we see how that turned out this season anyway!

Next year I foresee the so-called "Cal lovers" pumping sunshine while the so-called "Cal haters" continue to trash the program in every way imaginable. I am not very optimistic about next year at all.

Playing the other side, it really is about the money, IMO. If the buyout were much lower, I think Cal would be gone. How will we know who is and who isn't available if Cal is still here? I don't see how that will change in one, two or three years?

Mitch didn't even come out and say anything regarding change or living up to the gold standard that is Kentucky. He just blandly says, "Meeting like usual and Cal will be back." How does that give any UK fan hope unless your a fan who just blindly believes Cal can somehow turn it around?! It's beyond upsetting to see what this program has become. I can only speak for myself, but I can't wait to Cal AND Mitch to be gone.

I wont be fooled again
Just very sad this am . I've been right about Cal for 5 years now . I'd guess I'm right about him now since my guesses / hunches are confirmed by what the man actually tells us . No change . Next year has far far less talent than the LOADED team had this season. We are not getting a 1st team all American like we had in A Reeves ( should have been 1st team). There is no top 10 pick , maybe higher , like Rob . Experience that helped earlier like Tre isnt there . Ugo is a OVC level player . Wag might be forced to stay , He has no J . hmm I guess if Reed returns for that 1 mil a year NIL , Z stays , and T Perry turns into the next Reed S real fast we could be be decent . But I'm at the point the entire team could return and with a coach as bad as Johny C we are doomed . Thats a good description of my emotions -- doomed .

I loved the players , Reeves was great , Dilly was dynamite , Reed blossomed , , it was a very likable bunch , We had a real chance and it was almost like someone sabotaged it . I'm done .

Mitch didn't even come out and say anything regarding change or living up to the gold standard that is Kentucky. He just blandly says, "Meeting like usual and Cal will be back." How does that give any UK fan hope unless your a fan who just blindly believe Cal can somehow turn it around?! It's beyond upsetting to see what this program has become. I can only speak for myself, but I can't wait to Cal AND Mitch to be gone.

Mitch could not come out and say, "I demanded changes." He said the minimum which is what he should say in this situation. That is basic PR 101. The less said the better if personnel changes are in the works as has been rumored.

Based on what? The same thing was said this time last year, and that was with all the excitement of a 'Cal type of class' coming in. There's zero indication anything will be done based on next year's results.
Those things were said on this board but after last year there was no public outrage. There wasn’t even somewhat of a sense that Cal had to even worry. There wasn’t an announcement that Cal would be back and the buyout will be half as much as it was last year. There wasn’t an announcement by the AD that the coach would be back it was known.

Mitch could not come out and say, "I demanded changes." He said the minimum which is what he should say in this situation. That is basic PR 101. The less said the better if personnel changes are in the works as has been rumored.
I agree with that to an extent. However, he could have have still been vague while also conveying some level of hope to the fanbase. I don't feel this tweet does that. If anything, it does the opposite. Just my opinion though!

Reactions: saxonburgcat
I agree with that to an extent. However, he could have have still been vague while also conveying some level of hope to the fanbase. I don't feel this tweet does that. If anything, it does the opposite. Just my opinion though!

In my experience, in similar situations, what he didn't say is very relevant. He didn't say that he was happy with Cal and yeah we had a tough end to the year, yada, yada, yada. His silence to me means there is more change coming but whether or not it is enough remains to be seen.

Realistically, you would still be rolling the dice for 33 million + paying all the Assistant coaching staff buyouts, and then add on the new coach and his staff contracts. Your looking at maybe a 50 million $ turn around in 1 year. Is any of those realistic possibilities worth that budget hit.
It would be more like 17-20 million per year over the next 5 years. The buyout and future coaches salaries aren't due upfront. They are paid out annually. But that would come out between 80-100 million over 5 years between the Men's and Women's basketball coaches. That's not something the athletic department or the university is currently prepared to pay. They could use some donor money, but that weakens the investment into NIL and other things needed within the program. From a financial perspective, it's more economically feasible to retain Cal until his buyout is substantially lower. Otherwise, he wouldn't still be here now. Believe me, they don't want him either.

Those things were said on this board but after last year there was no public outrage. There wasn’t even somewhat of a sense that Cal had to even worry. There wasn’t an announcement that Cal would be back and the buyout will be half as much as it was last year. There wasn’t an announcement by the AD that the coach would be back it was known.
Mitch condemned him in a much stronger fashion following St. Peters and absolutely nothing of meaningful value has been done. We'd be foolish to think anything is different this time.

Stop it.

You Cal fans got your " one more year" and that will be the same battle cry next year and every year until either MB retires or Cal's contract finally expires.

Nothing will happen until then with the Don of College Basketball.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT